RE: eReaders (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms

Chief -> RE: eReaders (13/9/2012 1:51:43 PM)

The more I read about the Kindle Fire, the more I'm tempted. Not to use as an ereader though, I'd probably still use my Keyboard and just use it for browsing/films. 129 isn't to be sniffed at.

sharkboy -> RE: eReaders (14/9/2012 11:08:40 AM)

If you're in the market for a cheap, no-frills eReader, there are some good deals on the Kobo at the minute.  new models are due out next month, and retailers seem to be trying to shift their stock at reduced prices - they were onsale at the airport for around 40 this week, and I'm sure there are cheaper deals out there too.

Super Hans -> RE: eReaders (1/11/2012 1:42:20 PM)

I had to restart my Kindle Keyboard last night as the battery indicator went funny (had a question mark over it), and as a result, appear to have recieved a software update![:D]

Apparently it lets me read comic books panel by panel. Has anyone tried this on a non-Fire Kindle? If so, does it work well? One very obvious flaw I can think of is the lack of colour. However, I did read the very much black and white Scott Pilgrim vol 1 ages ago and meant to try the others but didn't bother. They look cheaper on Kindle than in the shops though so could be tempted...

sanchia -> RE: eReaders (15/11/2012 5:47:35 PM)

I have to admit that I would not recommend graphic novels on the Kindle. I knew they were going to be black and white but the size problem is an issue I had not thought through. In order to work through 1 page I had to enlarge it to 200% and then to see a full panel needed to move left and right (or up and down when I rotated the image). Not a particularly rewarding experience and I think I will stick to text based books in the future.

Super Hans -> RE: eReaders (18/11/2012 2:52:55 PM)

Thanks Sanchia - I have to admit as soon as I posted, I realised I could just download a couple of samples to try it out![sm=34.gif]

I have to admit I agree - it's not great is it? I tried a bit of Scott Pilgrim but I don't think that even registered properly as a graphic novel. I also tried Watchmen but the panel view just doesn't work that well.

Super Hans -> RE: eReaders (27/11/2012 8:06:56 PM)

So....did anyone bother buying a Kindle Fire? As predicatable as night following day, I'm considering buying one of the rash of reasonably priced 7 inch tablets out there, and the Fire appeals... My existing Kindle will win out for proper book reading I think, but with my laptop's ability to realiably, consistently stay connected to my wifi is often dubious, and the fact it would be good for Lovefilm streaming, I'm getting tablet fever again...

I've also found myself with a bit more money spare this month than expected (which will be a rarity once my baby boy make his entrance to the world!!), and so, fingers crossed, in a position to buy myself a cheeky Christmas pressie![:D]

Couple of questions though if anyone knows much about them:

1) Overall, is the HD worth the extra 30-50? I know it's double the stroage but with the cloud being a prominent selling point now, I'm not sure how vitally important that is. Is the picture quality noticably better?

2) In terms of getting video on it, is it strictly limited to Lovefilm streaming and whatever you can buy off Amazon, or can you put your own stuff on it? If not, would the Google Nexis 7 be a better bet in that respect?

sanchia -> RE: eReaders (27/11/2012 8:47:55 PM)

It looks like the only video format it plays is MP4 not AVI or any other which is rather limiting (Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible Enhanced format (AAX), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, PCM/WAVE, OGG, WAV, MP4, AAC LC/LTP, HE-AACv1, HE-AACv2, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, HTML5, CSS3, MP4, 3GP, VP8(.webm).). I understand the HD is rather spectacular and the anti glare screens they use are very good. I did not like the look of the reduced price if you allow advertising on it.

If you can't use many video formats I doubt if the 16gb drive would fill up that rapidly.

As you can tell I too have been tempted. [;)]

Super Hans -> RE: eReaders (28/11/2012 12:42:58 PM)

Cheers Sanchia - they are quite tempting aren't they?[:D]

I think if I do get one I'll probably go for the HD. Given the price in relation to other tablets, it's not a bad deal I think.

Chief -> RE: eReaders (28/11/2012 4:53:15 PM)

I thought the general consensus was that, for the same price, the Nexus 7 was the better machine?

I too have been tempted.

Super Hans -> RE: eReaders (29/11/2012 12:46:55 PM)

Yeah.. tech spec wise, I think the Nexus 7 is more powerful and obviously has full on Android operating system, with full Play store access. However, I've also read that you can't get magazines/newspapers on Google Play in the UK, which is something I could be interested in using on a tablet. Plus the Fire has the Lovefilm instant streaming built in, which I'm not sure if the Android app does...

Decsions decisions, it's so hard. 'First world problems' though, I know.... [sm=happy07.gif]

James2183 -> RE: eReaders (3/12/2012 11:22:00 PM)

Is there any 'legal' way to get ebooks from the library onto a Kindle? Getting an eReader but unsure as to which one to get and it would seem UK libraries currently don't allow rening to the Kindle just yet.

Can you rent using a Nook or Kobo?

Super Hans -> RE: eReaders (6/12/2012 8:53:13 AM)

As they've dropped to a bargainous 98 in Carphone Warehouse, I went and bought myself an 8gb Kindle Fire last night.

Seems pretty nice so far! Obiously not a lot of storage but with no intention of keeping music on it, books being low file size and video streaming through Lovefilm, I don't think I'll need too much!

sanchia -> RE: eReaders (6/12/2012 9:22:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Is there any 'legal' way to get ebooks from the library onto a Kindle? Getting an eReader but unsure as to which one to get and it would seem UK libraries currently don't allow rening to the Kindle just yet.

Can you rent using a Nook or Kobo?

I know Amazon Prime members get free rental of books on Kindle but that is 49 per annum. I don't think libraries offer anything at the moment.

Chief -> RE: eReaders (16/4/2013 3:39:37 PM)

So after a couple of months out of reading I'decided to get back into it, only my Kindle won't work now. [:@]

It just stays on one screensaver and won't even reset by holding the power button as suggested. I'm going to try fully charging it tonight to see if it makes a difference but I'm not holding out much hope. Anyone know if Amazon do any kind of after care for a 2 year old product?

Rob -> RE: eReaders (16/4/2013 3:54:08 PM)

I don't think they do. When mine broke it was about 18 months old and out of warranty and although they wouldn't replace it they did offer me a new one for about 40

sharkboy -> RE: eReaders (16/4/2013 4:12:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

So after a couple of months out of reading I'decided to get back into it, only my Kindle won't work now. [:@]

It just stays on one screensaver and won't even reset by holding the power button as suggested. I'm going to try fully charging it tonight to see if it makes a difference but I'm not holding out much hope. Anyone know if Amazon do any kind of after care for a 2 year old product?

I had this happen before and it turned out that it was simply that the Kindle didn't have enough power left to reboot from a sleep state.  Hopefully your recharge should sort it out. 

As Rob says, if your Kindle is out of warranty, Amazon will offer you a new Kindle at a reduced price as long as you return the old one.  I'll also go on record and say that for such a large company, Amazon's customer service and after-care is brilliant - I was sorted out in a matter of minutes and the new Kindle was with me the next day

Chief -> RE: eReaders (16/4/2013 4:40:54 PM)

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll give it a good charge tonight and if that doesn't work then I may just have to plump for a new one if I get a decent price. Might even upgrade to a Nexus or Fire.

sanchia -> RE: eReaders (16/4/2013 6:33:58 PM)

I've just found the Kindle app for Android. It is very handy to be able to download any book I have purchased for my Kindle onto my phone and saved me a boring time when I turned up twenty minutes early for an appointment the other week.

I just realised how similar to a spam message this sounds. [;)]

Chief -> RE: eReaders (17/4/2013 1:42:17 PM)

So I left it charging for a couple of hours last night, went back to it and the orange light was out, no green light though. I tried switching it on again and nothing. Stuck it back on charge and the orange light came on as if it still wasn't charged fully.

I'll give it another go tonight and if not, I'll get in touch with Amazon.

Chief -> RE: eReaders (18/4/2013 4:38:00 PM)

Got it working! On the last ditch attempt before I binned it and moved on.

Edit: No it's not, just restarted and froze on the contents page. Replacement it is.

Super Hans -> RE: eReaders (24/4/2013 5:16:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I've just found the Kindle app for Android. It is very handy to be able to download any book I have purchased for my Kindle onto my phone and saved me a boring time when I turned up twenty minutes early for an appointment the other week.

Really useful isn't it? Handy on the train if you don't have your Kindle with you and good that it syncs between devices to the furthest read page.

sanchia -> RE: eReaders (24/4/2013 6:31:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Really useful isn't it? Handy on the train if you don't have your Kindle with you and good that it syncs between devices to the furthest read page.

I didn't realise that as I have two books on the go. Very handy to know that. [sm=happy34.gif]

Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI