RE: eReaders (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms

doubtlesswonder -> RE: eReaders (21/10/2011 12:22:59 AM)

Yeah, I read somewhere that you can gift Kindle books in the US, but you can't do that here either.

Super Hans -> RE: eReaders (21/10/2011 1:26:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MBeard

So yesterday I phoned Kindle Support who deemed the Kindle indeed to be f*cked.

So now, it's 24 hours later and I have a replacement in my hand. You can't fault that for service!

I'm hoping for a similarly happy outcome - my wife bought mine as a present from Tesco about 3 months back and after a few weeks I noticed the case seemed, I don't know, sort of loose from the screen.  It's OK at the top and bottom but at the sides you can see quite clearly that it doesn't fully meet the underside of the case.  When you push down on it at these points, you can feel/hear it sticking and unsticking.  The case construction just generally feels quite loose too.  I did wonder if the Kindle just has a slightly cheap build quality but having researched online and looked closely at display models in shops, I think mine perhaps just came from a shtty batch.

The guy on the support line was great and is getting a new one sent out to me so fingers crossed this one will be perfect.  If so, I shall encourage my wife to do the same as, while she hasn't noticed it, I can see that her's is the same.  Probably from the same batch as I bought it from Tesco for her bithday a month or 2 earlier!

Filmfan 2 -> RE: eReaders (24/10/2011 12:05:24 PM)

So is it worth picking up a kindle? I've been resistant to picking one up up until now; I like the feel of a real book. However, that new kindle that's just been released (the £89 one) looks  quite attractive.

Worth ponying up the money for?

Professor Moriarty -> RE: eReaders (24/10/2011 12:12:32 PM)

Maybe we should have a thread on eReaders to answer that question [;)]

sharkboy -> RE: eReaders (24/10/2011 12:23:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

So is it worth picking up a kindle? I've been resistant to picking one up up until now; I like the feel of a real book. However, that new kindle that's just been released (the £89 one) looks  quite attractive.

Abso-bloody-lutely! [:D]  I love the feel of a real book, even down to the smell that comes off the pages of a new purchase.  But a few days with my Kindle and I was a convert.  They really are that good.  The latest model is a bargain (though still a rip-off compared to US prices!), but if I can offer one piece of advice, it would be to avoid the 3G Kindle keyboard model - the addition of 3G is pointless and really not worth the extra £50 you'll pay.

Filmfan 2 -> RE: eReaders (24/10/2011 12:43:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Maybe we should have a thread on eReaders to answer that question

Now, now... [8D]

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

Abso-bloody-lutely! [:D]  I love the feel of a real book, even down to the smell that comes off the pages of a new purchase.  But a few days with my Kindle and I was a convert.  They really are that good.  The latest model is a bargain (though still a rip-off compared to US prices!), but if I can offer one piece of advice, it would be to avoid the 3G Kindle keyboard model - the addition of 3G is pointless and really not worth the extra £50 you'll pay.

You may have twisted my arm. I wouldn't pick up a 3G version as I too think that having 3G access for a device like this really is pointless.

On a side note, are many of the ancient greek classics available for the kindle? I enjoy reading these and I'm currently almost done with Ovid's Metamorphoses, and if I could read this on a kindle, that would pretty much seal the deal.

sharkboy -> RE: eReaders (24/10/2011 1:12:31 PM)

quote:

On a side note, are many of the ancient greek classics available for the kindle? I enjoy reading these and I'm currently almost done with Ovid's Metamorphoses, and if I could read this on a kindle, that would pretty much seal the deal.

Not only are there a lot of the ancient Greek and Roman classics available, but thanks to sites like Project Gutenberg, they're free to download.   Sold yet? [:D]

Edited to add hyperlink! [:)]

Filmfan 2 -> RE: eReaders (24/10/2011 2:46:33 PM)

quote:

quote:

Not only are there a lot of the ancient Greek and Roman classics available, but thanks to sites like Project Gutenberg, they're free to download.   Sold yet? [:D]

Edited to add hyperlink! [:)]

Yup, sold! [:D]

doubtlesswonder -> RE: eReaders (24/10/2011 5:58:34 PM)

quote:

quote:

I would respectfully disagree like that. The 3G has come in very useful for me when I've been out and about and decided to download something new. If there's no wireless netwrok around, I wouldn't be able to, and if I waited until there was wi-fi available I'd forget [:D]

It's great when I'm on the train and see something advertised that I want to read, or when I was down in Newquay and realised The Hunger Games was on sale.

sharkboy -> RE: eReaders (25/10/2011 9:16:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

I would respectfully disagree like that. The 3G has come in very useful for me when I've been out and about and decided to download something new. If there's no wireless netwrok around, I wouldn't be able to, and if I waited until there was wi-fi available I'd forget [:D]

It's great when I'm on the train and see something advertised that I want to read, or when I was down in Newquay and realised The Hunger Games was on sale.

Fair enough, I guess I've made use of it myself while in wi-fi free zones, but mainly for surfing the net.  A smartphone would do that job so much better, but when it comes to mobile phones, I'm a bit of a luddite! I suppose if you have an over-riding compulsion to buy a new book and there are no wireless networks handy then the 3G makes sense, particularly since its a free service.  Lets just say if I were to be in a position to be buying my first Kindle, I'd probably not bother with it this time around.

Perhaps when I finally get my arse in gear and get those discs sent out (real life has interfered over the last week I'm afraid! [:(]), you'll not be stuck for something to read on the train [;)]

doubtlesswonder -> RE: eReaders (25/10/2011 7:30:35 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

Perhaps when I finally get my arse in gear and get those discs sent out (real life has interfered over the last week I'm afraid! [:(]), you'll not be stuck for something to read on the train [;)]

Don't worry about that, there's no rush! I don't exactly have a shortage of books to read, it's just that my memory's so bad that if I don't download something as soon as I see it, I've completely forgotten within ten minutes [:D]

Chief -> RE: eReaders (26/10/2011 11:38:45 AM)

I got one six months ago and I don't think I've picked up a paper book since, and I've used it pretty much daily.

My only gripe is the price of new releases. Usually full price (£10-£13) when you can get them in supermarkets for half that.

But, on the other hand, there are plenty of bargains to be had. The classics are free and there are tons of books at £0.99 - £1.50.

sharkboy -> RE: eReaders (31/10/2011 11:16:55 AM)

Amazon are running their Kindle Rainy Day Read offer - lots of books for £1-2: Clicky!

Filmfan 2 -> RE: eReaders (7/11/2011 11:22:08 AM)

I'm about to buy one of these today, but one last question before I do.

Can you view web pages on this? I know that it won't run videos that rely on flash, but can you visit general websites on it?

sharkboy -> RE: eReaders (7/11/2011 11:31:07 AM)

Yeah, it has a browser under the "experimental" settings, which should tell you all you need to know about it!  It's OK, but not too stable on certain sites like Facebook.  Still, if you just want something that'll keep you abreast of what's happening rather than an all-singing, all-dancing internet experience, it'll probably do grand.

Chief -> RE: eReaders (13/1/2012 2:06:49 PM)

Dunno if everyone uses it already but does everyone know that you can get Nectar points on Kindle books?

I've only just started using Nectar and seeing as I spent a fair bit on ebooks last year I thought it was quite good.

matty_b -> RE: eReaders (14/1/2012 11:50:43 AM)

So, I think I'm going to take the plunge and get myself a Kindle. This one on Amazon sounds good - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wi-Fi-6-Ink-Display/dp/B0051QVF7A/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

Anyone have that one? Opinions?

And in general, how long do they take to set up before you can download books onto them?

Hobbitonlass -> RE: eReaders (14/1/2012 11:53:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Dunno if everyone uses it already but does everyone know that you can get Nectar points on Kindle books?

I've only just started using Nectar and seeing as I spent a fair bit on ebooks last year I thought it was quite good.

The way I do it is that I go into Amazon via the Nectar site and then anything I buy from Amazon I get Nectar points on [:)]

I've got the one with the keyboard but I know a few people who have the one you are looking at Matty and they love it. It takes no time at all to set up. Plug in and go. Very very easy!

Olaf -> RE: eReaders (14/1/2012 12:12:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

So, I think I'm going to take the plunge and get myself a Kindle. This one on Amazon sounds good - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wi-Fi-6-Ink-Display/dp/B0051QVF7A/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

Anyone have that one? Opinions?

And in general, how long do they take to set up before you can download books onto them?

That's the one I got for Christmas, I love it. I still buy far too many books, mind you. [:D] I know some people prefer the models with the keyboard but I find that particular model is the perfect size for my hands, which is nice. And it is literally a case of plugging it in to your computer and being able to put stuff on it right away (it just comes up as a removable disc drive and you c+p files onto it).

Also: they're a tad on the expensive side but I'd recommend getting one of the leather covers for it - unlike some of the other ones it keeps the actual Kindle really secure. That and it looks sexy.

Hobbitonlass -> RE: eReaders (14/1/2012 12:20:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Also: they're a tad on the expensive side but I'd recommend getting one of the leather covers for it - unlike some of the other ones it keeps the actual Kindle really secure. That and it looks sexy.

Agreed. I've got the one with the light in it and use it a fair bit as it really helps in certain light conditions (but that might just be my eyes [;)]).

matty_b -> RE: eReaders (14/1/2012 5:21:50 PM)

Ah, OK, thanks. This might be a purchase after next pay day, then. Is it a case of you buy a book in kindle format and it goes to your computer and you drag it over, or do you set up an account and it sends the book straight onto it?

Sorry for the questions. [:D]

directorscut -> RE: eReaders (14/1/2012 5:28:19 PM)

I got a Kindle for Christmas and although it is a fun piece of kit and good for reading the free classic e-books, I think it would have been much better had it been designed like a book with two screens, and I might have actually replaced my book buying with e-books. As it stands hold one "page" just doesn't feel right.

Chief -> RE: eReaders (16/1/2012 11:19:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Ah, OK, thanks. This might be a purchase after next pay day, then. Is it a case of you buy a book in kindle format and it goes to your computer and you drag it over, or do you set up an account and it sends the book straight onto it?

Sorry for the questions. [:D]

Buying off of Amazon it'll deliver straight to your Kindle in under a minute. Same buying direct from your Kindle. All you need is an Amazon account.

Also, RE: the covers, I bought a cheap one of off Ebay (£10) that came with a clip on light. The light was shit but the cover has been good. It's faux leather and is starting to peel a wee bit now but that's been about 8/9 months.

matty_b -> RE: eReaders (16/1/2012 12:04:11 PM)

OK, cool, thanks Chief. [sm=happy34.gif]

And last question - I promise! - can you delete a book off your Kindle if you don't like it/want to free up space?

Chief -> RE: eReaders (16/1/2012 12:13:44 PM)

Yeah, if you delete them they are still on your Amazon account and can be downloaded again free in the future if you feel like it.

matty_b -> RE: eReaders (16/1/2012 12:22:56 PM)

Marvellous! Thanks again. [:D]

sharkboy -> RE: eReaders (16/1/2012 1:04:52 PM)

Don't buy a leather cover until you check out eBay!  When I got my Kindle, I paid about £30 for the official Amazon cover.  And very nice it is too.  But I managed to get one for the father-in-law's Kindle from eBay for £6 and it's just as good.  As for the one with the built in light, avoid at all costs (sorry Hobbsy!).  Not only does it use up battery, but you can buy a clip-on battery-powered LED light that'll do the job better for a couple of pound. 

Matty - just go to the archive section on your Kindle to view your purchases that you have previously deleted.

big dawg -> RE: eReaders (16/1/2012 11:32:28 PM)

I got a kindle for my birthday just before chrimbo and i absolutely love it. Also got the kindle case with built in light. I didn't find it all weird, which i thought i would. The only downside is that its so easy to buy/download books, I've came in drunk a couple of times and randomly bought a few books!

Drew_231 -> RE: eReaders (17/1/2012 6:36:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg
I've came in drunk a couple of times and randomly bought a few books!

nothing better after a wild night out [:D]

'This Breaking Dawn book looks brilliant!!'

Hobbitonlass -> RE: eReaders (17/1/2012 7:09:09 AM)

quote:

As for the one with the built in light, avoid at all costs (sorry Hobbsy!).  Not only does it use up battery, but you can buy a clip-on battery-powered LED light that'll do the job better for a couple of pound. 

No worries [:D] I know it uses up battery but because the battery lasts so flipping long on these things I've never noticed it to be a problem and to be honest I use it very sparingly [:)]

I like the neatness as it is part of the actual cover and you can't see it when it is tucked away.

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI