RE: eReaders (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms

Super Hans -> RE: eReaders (3/2/2011 8:20:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

I actually got one for Christmas and absolutely love it. Maybe because it's a novelty but I've read three books this year already which for me it's pretty incredible given that I read 4 all year last year.

The only downside is that I can't stop buying books. I've only had it for a couple of weeks and have spent quite a bit already.

I think that's partly why I'm resisting buying one - since I got an Android phone and an iPod Touch, I've been downloading apps willy-nilly, and not always free ones! [:D]

I have however downloaded the 'Aldiko' book reader app for my phone - very handy for the tube and all the free books are easily found. In contrast, I tried the Kindle app and didn't find it forthcoming with the freebies...

Peppermint -> RE: eReaders (3/2/2011 8:35:09 PM)

quote:

I actually got one for Christmas and absolutely love it. Maybe because it's a novelty but I've read three books this year already which for me it's pretty incredible given that I read 4 all year last year.

The only downside is that I can't stop buying books. I've only had it for a couple of weeks and have spent quite a bit already.

Do you find, as I do, that someone keeps hacking into your account? [:D]

Rob -> RE: eReaders (11/2/2011 10:42:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

quote:

Do you find, as I do, that someone keeps hacking into your account? [:D]

Yes I do! However, thankfully this person has exactly the same taste as me so it's all good! [:D]

Does anyone know if there is anywhere that can provide a list of upcoming kindle releases? I've recently started reading A Game of Thrones and have become obsessed. However, only the first two books are available on Kindle and I can't seem to find any info on when the others will be available for download.

On that point one of the things I love most about the Kindle is the fact that I'm much more likely to try something new. As a rule I hate fantasy books and the genre as a whole and would never have purchased A Game of Thrones due in some part to being seen with it on the tube! I know that is ridiculous and probably says more about me than I want it to but with the Kindle you can read what the hell you like. Without the Kindle I would never have begun A Game of Thrones...and my word am I glad I did.

Right, next download is going to be the Mills and Boon collection.

Hobbitonlass -> RE: eReaders (11/2/2011 10:52:32 AM)

quote:

As a rule I hate fantasy books and the genre as a whole and would never have purchased A Game of Thrones due in some part to being seen with it on the tube! I know that is ridiculous and probably says more about me than I want it to but with the Kindle you can read what the hell you like.

Now see, if I had seen you reading Game of Thrones on the Tube I would have admired you now I won't know [;)] [:D]

pedros -> RE: eReaders (11/2/2011 11:05:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

As a rule I hate fantasy books and the genre as a whole and would never have purchased A Game of Thrones due in some part to being seen with it on the tube! I know that is ridiculous and probably says more about me than I want it to but with the Kindle you can read what the hell you like.

Now see, if I had seen you reading Game of Thrones on the Tube I would have admired you now I won't know [;)] [:D]

I'm reading the proper paper book of Clash of Kings on the tube at the moment, you can admire me!!!

I remember a Charlie Brooker article on e-books where he mentioned that due to the fact that no-one can tell what you are reading, he had stopped reading clever books and had started reading celebrity autobiographies instead!

Prices on kindle books really have gone up quite a bit. When I got mine 6 months ago then most kindle books were cheaper than the paper version, often significantly so. Now they seem to be more expensive. Luckily I stocked up when I first got mine so I still have loads there to read.

Rob - Game of Thrones was only recently released on kindle, and Clash of Kings even more recent, so I don't think you will have long to wait for the next two.

Hobbitonlass -> RE: eReaders (11/2/2011 11:11:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

I'm reading the proper paper book of Clash of Kings on the tube at the moment, you can admire me!!!

I'll keep an eye out then [8D]   If you hear someone randomly shout "Pedros!" you'll know [:D]

Donnie Murdo -> RE: eReaders (20/2/2011 10:04:46 AM)

Out of interest, what's everyone's moral judgement on the, um, "acquiring through an American aunt" digital copies of books you already own? I'm off to buy a Kindle today, but have quite a few books I can see myself wanting to dip into in the future, and would quite like to have them on the same device for holidays etc.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking of this as basically the same as putting your own CDs onto your iPod rather than just buying everything through iTunes? Or does the fact there was never intended to be a way of backing up paper books mean that this is an entirely different situation?

For the record, I mainly intend to fill up the Kindle with public domain classics and (nerd alert) PDFs of legal statutes and academic documents for when I go back to Uni. However, if there's a book I want available for significantly cheaper than a physical copy I'll shell out for that as well.

HIroProtagonist -> RE: eReaders (20/2/2011 11:19:11 AM)

I've had my Kindle since the beginning of December - absolutely love the device itself. I actually wrote a semi-review / complaint about Amazons pricing scheme, which might be of interest to people:

"Some thoughts on the Kindle, the e-Book Market, and why I'll still buy physical books..."

Chief -> RE: eReaders (3/3/2011 12:24:26 PM)

Question for anyone in the know. I have a colleague that got a Kindle that they shouldn't have. Story is, Amazon took an age to deliver it, they cancelled it and got a refund, then it eventually turned up.

I've offered to buy this Kindle off of her but she says that you have to register it and the reason they haven't used it is because they really shouldn't have it and registering it shows they obviously have.

Now the question is when you register it is do you have to put in serial numbers etc. that will track each device?

Edit: Forget it, it looks like it's linked to your Amazon account.

sharkboy -> RE: eReaders (3/3/2011 1:26:04 PM)

It's initially linked to an Amazon account, but it can be deregistered from the Kindle menu and then (I assume) linked to a new account.  Otherwise there would never be a second-hand market for Kindles [:D]  There's a unique serial number for each Kindle, I suppose they may track them in some shape or form.

Chief -> RE: eReaders (3/3/2011 1:37:55 PM)

Thing being she'd have to de-register it from her account when she's not meant to have it. Ah well.

Rebenectomy -> RE: eReaders (3/3/2011 2:40:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Question for anyone in the know. I have a colleague that got a Kindle that they shouldn't have. Story is, Amazon took an age to deliver it, they cancelled it and got a refund, then it eventually turned up.

Good old Amazon, they do that all the time. My friends and I have had multiple i pods, scalextrics, light boxes, cameras and those lecky things you pad onto your body to tone the muscles. I wonder what their write off budget is for stuff like that?

Professor Moriarty -> RE: eReaders (6/3/2011 4:49:25 PM)

Finally found myself a 2nd hand Sony PRS-505 at a price I liked. Well happy with the little unit, not a blemish or scratch and I'm very happily finally reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo now :-)

elab49 -> RE: eReaders (6/3/2011 5:15:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Good old Amazon, they do that all the time. My friends and I have had multiple i pods, scalextrics, light boxes, cameras and those lecky things you pad onto your body to tone the muscles. I wonder what their write off budget is for stuff like that?

I was quite surprised they didn't send them out by a trackable method - given they randomly do that for a couple of books/DVDs you'd think they'd do it with the bigger ticket. So it seemed odd getting them from the postie before Xmas without even a sig being needed.

Rob -> RE: eReaders (7/3/2011 4:16:36 PM)

Does anyone use an iPad for regular reading? If so what are their experiences?

Loving my Kindle but would ultimately like to get an iPad and have all my content (movies, TV, music, books) on one device.

MBeard -> RE: eReaders (5/4/2011 1:11:27 PM)

I got bought a Kindle today - I'm glad but it's typical when I have a pile of books I want to get through. 

homersimpson_esq -> RE: eReaders (5/4/2011 8:33:43 PM)

I'll have it, if you want.

sharkboy -> RE: eReaders (6/4/2011 10:58:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Sounds like someone is preparing to give in to the dark side...[:D]  If you ever do succumb, drop me a line and I'll put you in touch with my American aunt...[;)]

homersimpson_esq -> RE: eReaders (6/4/2011 2:25:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Sounds like someone is preparing to give in to the dark side...[:D]  If you ever do succumb, drop me a line and I'll put you in touch with my American aunt...[;)]

I really am. I saw a real one the other day, and it's amazing. If I get enough amazon vouchers next week, I'll be sorted! [:D]

bobatim -> RE: eReaders (6/4/2011 8:26:14 PM)

I've had my Kindle since the end of Feb, it's the best purchase I've made in a long time. Perfect for on the train, to and from work. The battery life is immense! I charged it up last night for the first time since switching it on!

Professor Moriarty -> RE: eReaders (15/4/2011 4:14:14 PM)

Took my Sony reader on hols for a couple of weeks. Read 3 and a half books, managed to forget to turn it off a couple of times and its still showing a quarter of the battery charge. The fantastic thing for me is that I could take a good few books with me and then decide which ones to actually read when I got there.

Chief -> RE: eReaders (17/5/2011 1:47:59 PM)

I entered the world of Kindles on Saturday. Nice little bit of kit.

Rob -> RE: eReaders (17/5/2011 2:00:05 PM)

Be careful though it is ridiculous addictive! [:D] I've spent a fortune downloading books but worth every penny!

Hex -> RE: eReaders (17/5/2011 2:24:31 PM)

I adore my Kindle! It was a suprise gift at Christmas and I can not say a bad word about it.

Ive found I read quicker on it and I love that you can "turn the page" from either side. The voice function is fun aswell. Its so quick and easy to download. The battery power is emmense!!

Love love love it!

Chief -> RE: eReaders (17/5/2011 3:07:28 PM)

Just bought one of those little light things and a case off of Ebay.

Downloaded a good few free classic books (Tom Sawyer, Dracula, Treasure Island etc.) and a couple of retail books.

I have since been made aware that people have American relatives that can supply books free of charge. I will be investigating this shortly. [;)]

Rob -> RE: eReaders (9/6/2011 11:42:00 AM)

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to get books you've purchased on Kindle into iBook form on the iPad.

I know there's a Kindle app for the iPad and it's great but I'd love to have all my books in the iBookstore so I can just stare and them lovingly (sad but true). Has anyone managed to do this and if so could they let me know how! Gracias!

keithyt1999 -> RE: eReaders (9/6/2011 11:57:13 AM)

I got a wi-fi only Kindle for my 40th at the end of March and have only just had to charge it (i haven't been using it a lot but still, it's been in standby mode. the battery life is very impressive). So far I have only downloaded some free classics and I'm currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Kicking myself for not buying a few novels while they were very cheap when I first got it (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and sequels, Never Let Me Go were all about 1.50 a little while ago but now are a bit more - still cheap though). I'm waiting to see if the Songs Of Fire and Ice (Game Of Thrones) books go any lower than current price of 5.49.

The screen quality is fantastic, got an official cover with the integrated light for night time reading too and that works great. Linking to the Kindle store and browsing is childsplay. Wish they would add the price of each book to the Top 100 Paid list though rather than having to click on the title to see...

sharkboy -> RE: eReaders (9/6/2011 12:29:03 PM)

quote:

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to get books you've purchased on Kindle into iBook form on the iPad.

I know there's a Kindle app for the iPad and it's great but I'd love to have all my books in the iBookstore so I can just stare and them lovingly (sad but true). Has anyone managed to do this and if so could they let me know how! Gracias!

You can use Calibre software to convert to iBook format.  It'll also allow you to insert metadata and covers if you don't have them already.  And it's free!  Get it from http://calibre-ebook.com/

Rob -> RE: eReaders (9/6/2011 1:56:11 PM)

Thank Sharkboy. I've actually got Calibre but it seems that my Kindle books are DRM protected and so it won't allow me to convert them. I've heard that there are plugins available but I can't get them to work. I wish it could be more like ripping a CD in itunes [:@]

Chief -> RE: eReaders (9/6/2011 3:09:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: keithyt1999

I got a wi-fi only Kindle for my 40th at the end of March and have only just had to charge it (i haven't been using it a lot but still, it's been in standby mode. the battery life is very impressive). So far I have only downloaded some free classics and I'm currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I've just gave up on that. Horribly dull.

Treasure Island on the other hand..... AMAZING! [:)]

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI