RE: eReaders (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms

Chief -> RE: eReaders (2/12/2010 1:54:54 PM)

Socks?

Peppermint -> RE: eReaders (2/12/2010 3:16:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MBeard

I've bought my Dad a Kindle for christmas and have been setting it up for him so it's ready for Xmas Day. I must admit, I'm much more impressed than I ever thought I would be.

Makes me tempted to keep it and get him something else ;)

Yeah, get him a pack of ties and keep it for yourself [:D]

MBeard -> RE: eReaders (2/12/2010 4:05:50 PM)

Problem being, he heard me talking about to my Mum and could possibly have heard the word "Kindle".

I might just buy some socks and a Kinder Egg and hope he doesn't notice.

Chief -> RE: eReaders (3/12/2010 10:18:17 AM)

Kindle = candle.

sharkboy -> RE: eReaders (3/12/2010 10:39:14 AM)

Lol, yeah, just buy him a Glade Scented Apple festive candle and plead ignorance [:D]  Or a bundle of small sticks - "Kindle?  No, kindling!"

Felix -> RE: eReaders (26/12/2010 9:50:13 PM)

Is the Kindle the best e-reader? Thinking of getting one, but not sure.

For once I want to spend my Xmas/Birthday money on something I want, not something I need... [:D]

How much are the books? Is it possible to erm, get them from my American Aunt? [image]http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/noncgi/graemlins/ninja2.gif[/image]

elab49 -> RE: eReaders (26/12/2010 11:10:52 PM)

It seems to be the best supported - I got 2 as gifts this year and both recipients have barely been off them. I would maybe try it out first - is there a John lewis near you? They've been selling them. I had a go and I really really didn't like it - so in book terms I'm a luddite. Also, apparently it is too easy to buy the books to DL!

I understand there are a lot of free ones but if you look on Amazon for a couple of the books you've liked recently, the Kindle verion will be shoehorned high in the search - you can't avoid them. But it should give you a fair idea of the kind of prices you'll be looking at. 'fraid I don't know if you can load it up with generic file types though.

sharkboy -> RE: eReaders (29/12/2010 10:05:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Is the Kindle the best e-reader? Thinking of getting one, but not sure.

I tried a friend's Sony e-reader and in my opinion the Kindle blows it out of the water.  People argue that the lack of a back-light is a negative, but in all honesty I'd happily sacrifice the back-light for the lack of glare and better readability under normal lighting.  And anyway, as I've said above, you can get great little clip-on lights from the Pound Shop that do the job brilliantly.  I can't comment on the iPad as I've never used it but I assume the lighting issue would be the same.

quote:

How much are the books? Is it possible to erm, get them from my American Aunt? [image]http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/noncgi/graemlins/ninja2.gif[/image]

They can range from pretty much the same as paper books to, well, free.  There are a few legit sources for free books (mainly the classics) and, yes, your American Aunt's postage costs may just have gone up.  I know mine did.[:)]  If you get one, drop me a PM and i'll have my aunt call yours.[;)]

Chief Wiggum -> RE: eReaders (1/1/2011 12:16:38 AM)

I've just bought an android and been using the kindle app for it and was wondering about getting a full sized one for myself. just a quick question about it really.

is the screen a touch screen so you can flick the pages or are there page forward/back buttons, I had a look at the Sony in Waterstones and liked to look of it, but the ease of getting stuff from Amazon really appeals to me

MBeard -> RE: eReaders (4/1/2011 3:10:52 PM)

Well, after much deliberation I decided to give the Kindle to my Dad and after all and my word it went down well.

Now I think it's time to order another one!

The Hooded Man -> RE: eReaders (4/1/2011 4:35:13 PM)

Got Kindle for Crimbo. Love it!

doubtlesswonder -> RE: eReaders (4/1/2011 5:36:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Got Kindle for Crimbo. Love it!

Ditto. I've only got 13 books on there so far, but I've been trawling the free ones.

The Hooded Man -> RE: eReaders (5/1/2011 12:14:55 PM)

13? Where do you get the time?!? Fair play to you, I thought I was doing well finishing my first book yesterday!

doubtlesswonder -> RE: eReaders (5/1/2011 5:18:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

13? Where do you get the time?!? Fair play to you, I thought I was doing well finishing my first book yesterday!

I haven't read them all yet, just making sure I'm prepared!

Felix -> RE: eReaders (6/1/2011 9:42:17 PM)

Just ordered my Kindle [:D]

doubtlesswonder -> RE: eReaders (6/1/2011 11:43:41 PM)

So, does anyone have any recommendations for free books in the Kindle store?

I downloaded 11 of the free classics so far, and a couple of others I found. I just wish there was an easier way to find them without having to page-hop!

DJ Satan -> RE: eReaders (7/1/2011 12:36:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

I downloaded 11 of the free classics so far, and a couple of others I found. I just wish there was an easier way to find them without having to page-hop!

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2829947

doubtlesswonder -> RE: eReaders (7/1/2011 2:25:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2829947

Ah, I knew there was a thread around here somewhere, don't know why I couldn't find it. Thanks!

Hobbitonlass -> RE: eReaders (7/1/2011 9:04:57 AM)

quote:

[sm=happy34.gif] I'm that close to ordering one, that close [:D]

Trouble is, I have about 30 books in my "to read" pile and I don't want to not read them. Wouldn't it be great if you could point a magic wand at the book and ta da! it was on the Kindle [:D] I know the sensible me should wait until I have read at least half of the pile but I can feel the non-sensible part of me winning through......

Felix -> RE: eReaders (7/1/2011 9:12:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

Trouble is, I have about 30 books in my "to read" pile and I don't want to not read them. Wouldn't it be great if you could point a magic wand at the book and ta da! it was on the Kindle [:D] I know the sensible me should wait until I have read at least half of the pile but I can feel the non-sensible part of me winning through......

The non sensible part of me won, I've still got 3 more paperbacks to read!! I figured that Mrs F will want to use the Kindle sometimes, so I can read those when she's using it. [:D]

Just wish I'd ordered it before they put the VAT up, bloody 2 extra!! [:@][:D]

Toby Monroe -> RE: eReaders (7/1/2011 12:52:26 PM)

My Kindle's out of date already! Gutted.

Felix -> RE: eReaders (8/1/2011 5:08:53 PM)

Fucking Royal Mail. It was meant to be here today, wont be delivered till Monday now. [:@]

Rinc -> RE: eReaders (10/1/2011 8:15:14 PM)

quote:

quote:

The more I see people on the train with them the more I want one. But like you two I've got a pile of books to get through. Might wait till next Christmas.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: eReaders (10/1/2011 8:44:52 PM)

I've a chance tp buy a Sony prs505 for about 90 squids. Is this worth it?

Felix -> RE: eReaders (10/1/2011 8:53:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

quote:

The more I see people on the train with them the more I want one. But like you two I've got a pile of books to get through. Might wait till next Christmas.

Gah. Still dont have it. I hate Royal Mail and Amazon.

Hobbitonlass -> RE: eReaders (10/1/2011 9:00:34 PM)

So what's the excuse for it not being delivered today then?

Felix -> RE: eReaders (11/1/2011 12:49:35 AM)

Royal Mail are fucking useless.

Sod's law it will come tomorrow, when I'm not going to be home.

MBeard -> RE: eReaders (11/1/2011 2:21:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I've a chance tp buy a Sony prs505 for about 90 squids. Is this worth it?

Not sure but I'd imagine the extra 21 for a Kindle is probably worth it.

Felix -> RE: eReaders (11/1/2011 2:23:17 PM)

Hurrah! Its here! Typically it came this morning just as I was going out the door, but finally I'm home and can open it. [:D]

Rob -> RE: eReaders (18/1/2011 4:07:32 PM)

I actually got one for Christmas and absolutely love it. Maybe because it's a novelty but I've read three books this year already which for me it's pretty incredible given that I read 4 all year last year.

The only downside is that I can't stop buying books. I've only had it for a couple of weeks and have spent quite a bit already.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI