eXistenZ (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> eXistenZ (7/7/2010 4:23:18 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Nicola Brierley -> Existenz (7/7/2010 4:23:18 PM)

In my opinion, David Cronenberg is one of the most visionary directors (along with Christopher Nolan) around at the moment. He has the wonderful ability to really confuse his audience, yet keep their attention, keep them wondering exactly what is going on, and then delivering amazing plot twists and turns. Whenever you watch one of his films, you never know what to expect, he always throws unexpected things at his audience (such as the sauna scene in the brilliant Eastern Promises), and many twists to his films (such as the incredible A History of Violence). His 1999 movie, Existenz is no exception to this.

Existenz is set in the future, where virtual reality gaming, through organic games consoles known as “bio ports” has replaced normal gaming as we know it. No more X-Boxes and Playstation 3s, the people of the future connect to their “bio ports” using umbilical cords, which are inserted to a hole in the player’s spine. These games are virtual reality, allowing the player to fully submerge themselves in the game. Allegra Gellar (Leigh) is the world’s greatest game designer, and is giving a seminar to test her latest game, eXistenZ. During this seminar, an assassination attempt is made on her life, which nearly destroys her game.

Gellar flees for her life, under the protection of security guard, Ted Pikul (Law). Gellar and Law have to play eXistenZ to see how much damage was caused during the seminar. Pikul, however doesn’t have his own “bio port”, so they are assisted by someone who works at a petrol station, called Gas (Dafoe). He installs a “bio port” for Pikul, and together, him and Gellar play eXistenZ.

Existenz has a superb plot, with really cutting edge ideas which seem to be a trademark of Cronenberg’s works. Some of the ideas have been done time and time again (The Matrix being the most obvious), yet this movie feels refreshing and alternative. As I mentioned earlier, the movi

Y2Neildotcom -> RE: Existenz (15/7/2010 4:24:57 PM)

This film will always hold a place in my heart, I saw it as part of an exclusive preview when my media studies class took us on a trip down the BFI.

Plus Jennifer Jason Leigh is hot.

I missed its cinematic release but now am the proud owner of it on DVD.

hampstead bandit -> RE: Existenz (15/7/2010 9:45:51 PM)

fantastic film - one of my favourites - and it easily withstands repeated viewings, in fact it gets better with further viewings!

there is something very disturbing about this film, like a bad "acid trip", and the layers within layers of realities is very powerful

brilliant casting / acting, and a gripping story

hopefully, one day, this will get a High Def. Blu-Ray release, until then I will keep watching my SD DVD copy

5/5 no doubt...Cronenberg's finest film, in my humble opinion

carlrogers22 -> RE: Existenz (20/12/2012 2:20:53 AM)

I've just re-watched this on Netflix. I remembered the last scene being a bit different though. I thought it ended with Jennifer Jason Leigh and Jude Law (as the assassins) standing up in the focus group and shouting 'Death to ExistenZ'. Did I see a different version?
Lovely little gem of a David Cronenberg movie though! The tooth gun construction scene is so Cronenberg it hurts.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI