RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad

KnightofZyryab -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (18/6/2010 2:35:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

How much would you pay?
I would be happy to buy a 300 bundle with the new XBox.

Since I'm thinking of picking up that new Xbox I would rather spend the extra 100 on an extra controller, Live subscription and some decent cheap games; Gears of War, Mass Effect, Halo 3 etc. That to me is a better deal than simply the console and Kinect.

This. Kinect doesn't grab me at all.

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (18/6/2010 8:06:27 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

On the subject of the Star Wars game, surely this is a case where PlayStation Move is clearly the better suited tech? With the PS3's 1:1 motion tracking the lightsaber will move exactly where you move the Move wand. Kinect has a small but noticable latency where by ther is a small delay from the actions you perform to these actions being replicated on screen. Then there's the fact that you want be holding anything (although as SHP rightly points out you can always hold a remote control or something).

I've read several reports that claims 1:1 motion tracking has been achieved with the Kinect with no lag.

Really? I haven't seen anything saying this.

http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=398326

Another thing, the camera in Kinect isn't even HD. It's resolution is 640x480. Pretty odd actually.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (18/6/2010 8:45:43 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

On the subject of the Star Wars game, surely this is a case where PlayStation Move is clearly the better suited tech? With the PS3's 1:1 motion tracking the lightsaber will move exactly where you move the Move wand. Kinect has a small but noticable latency where by ther is a small delay from the actions you perform to these actions being replicated on screen. Then there's the fact that you want be holding anything (although as SHP rightly points out you can always hold a remote control or something).

I've read several reports that claims 1:1 motion tracking has been achieved with the Kinect with no lag.

Really? I haven't seen anything saying this.

http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=398326

Another thing, the camera in Kinect isn't even HD. It's resolution is 640x480. Pretty odd actually.

I don't think that's all too odd, other than video chats, the camera isn't meant to put you in the games video wise, just your movements, so using an HD camera would just give the Xbox more data to process, makes perfect sense for it to not be HD. If it was in HD the latency would suffer quite a bit. I guess it limits potential use to put yourself in games, but does anyone really want that anyway?

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (18/6/2010 10:51:30 AM)

I dunno if anyone would want it, but it kind of limits that option doesn't it?

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (18/6/2010 11:16:28 AM)

I have zero interest in Xbox Kinect. That is all i have to add to this thread [:D]

sroey -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (18/6/2010 1:37:02 PM)

I have pre-ordered both the Kinect (Ok name, shite logo) and the Xbox 360 slim.

I read somewhere Game are doing a trade in scheme for the slim xbox (as I have 3 xbox's - an elite, an original 20GB and a MW2 super elite) I may just trade one in to use at my girlfriends house too as the new slim stops me from simply taking my HDD over to her house to my second xbox.

My missus fell in love with the Kinectimals demo...and the Ubisoft fitness simulation thingy. An IGN report was very impressed with that one...

the anomaly -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (19/6/2010 12:49:52 AM)

Impressive tech. But just not for me. My Wii's gathering dust. This would be no different. 

Invader_Ace -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (19/6/2010 1:15:34 PM)

It's going to take alot more than a load of shit Wii Sports knock-offs and virtual pet to get me interested in this.
The usage of my Wii quickly dropped off and once it was stolen I didn't bother to replace it. I kind of like the idea in theory, but just haven't seen anything to convince me motion control is any good at the minute (except maybe Mario Galaxy).

DJ Satan -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (20/6/2010 12:28:03 AM)

Kinect Wins!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mu7gjUA94o

[:D][:D][:D]

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (20/6/2010 10:03:28 AM)

YES!!!!!!! [:D]

borstal -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 9:10:45 AM)

Price point for Kinect revealed

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1100864p1.html

HIM -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 9:18:59 AM)

Told ya it'd be $150. Any guesses on a UK price point? A direct conversion today is 101.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 9:38:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

Price point for Kinect revealed

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1100864p1.html

No it's not, a placeholder price has been put in place on their site, just like one was on GameStop. I don't believe for a second that the people who design and update the content of their online shop are in charge of pricing. They'll do a proper announcement when they set a price, and maybe it will be $149, but that's not a reveal. The reason the price hasn't been announced IMO is the tech isn't finished, hence the faked demos at E3.

borstal -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (22/6/2010 9:47:48 AM)

quote:

Kinect Wins!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mu7gjUA94o

[:D][:D][:D]

It does win. It wins a lot.

borstal -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 9:52:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

No it's not, a placeholder price has been put in place on their site, just like one was on GameStop. I don't believe for a second that the people who design and update the content of their online shop are in charge of pricing. They'll do a proper announcement when they set a price, and maybe it will be $149, but that's not a reveal. The reason the price hasn't been announced IMO is the tech isn't finished, hence the faked demos at E3.

Why put up a 'placeholder' price? Put $XXX.XX.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 9:55:04 AM)

Well I guess we'll see, but I still expect a sub 100 price, be that 99 or 69. But I don't think a price north of 100 is going to work and I think MS are more than aware of pricing themselves out of the market.

HIM -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 10:17:55 AM)

$150 price point all but confirmed on Microsoft's own site:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/kinect-for-xbox-360-now-on-sale-for-150-at-microsofts-own-o/

DJ Satan -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 10:24:06 AM)

$100 bundle price. So that's 300 all in. Sounds good to me and still cheaper than Move.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 10:43:23 AM)

quote:

$150 price point all but confirmed on Microsoft's own site:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/kinect-for-xbox-360-now-on-sale-for-150-at-microsofts-own-o/

That's the same news story as Borstal.

I don't believe it, simply because what's changed in a week or so? Why not announce it at E3? Why wait a week or so just to announce it on the sly through a website very few people use?

That's just a placeholder price IMO.

HIM -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 10:51:04 AM)

But why is practically every retailer listing it as $150? As for the $150 listing on Microsoft's own website, that's probably some over zealous web monkey's fault for putting it up early. This happens all the time.

The most likely reason that Microsoft haven't announced a price is simply to keep Kinect in the headlines. They announced the product at E3 but don't say how much it is. This generates a lot of press headlines and free publicity. Subsequently stories like this leak every few weeks. Again, more headlines, more stories, more free press. When they finally announce the price it will again generate headlines, stories and free press. Microsoft probably have a very well thought out marketing campaign for Kinect and this will be - to quote the Joker - all part of the plan.

sroey -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 10:51:46 AM)

Ive been on the Game site and the move is 80 all in. Now that seems pretty cheap to me but considering if I had to get one for the missus too thats an extra 70 (29.99 for the nav controller and 39.99 for the move controller)

Starts to add up. If Kinect comes in at 100 Ill be happy with that. The wii fit malarky was pretty bloody expensive too if I recall and Kinect should blow that out of the water.

I like the idea of move and with SOny backing it it will be big, I just think that Kinect integration into games could be awesome and its the potential that has me excited. Its obvious shovelware will be needed to get the thing selling to the masses. But think about it. If you have Kinect and you are playing a FPS or RTS game with a standard pad - voice commands (I know other games do that without Kinect) and head movements etc could be seemlessly integrated into play. EG looking around the cockpit of a car. Looking at the damage of your weapon in a fallout game.

I also like the idea of the controller-less dash navigation.

I can appreciate why people are skeptical with Kinect and MS have alot of work to do.

If the lag is ironed out of the launch games then im there (ive pre-ordered anyway) and the potential of the thing looks great. Plus my missus has fallen in love with the kinectimals game! So Ive been ordered to get that!

sroey -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 10:54:36 AM)

I think what Im trying to say in my last post was that Kinect would support and compliment the standard controller to enhance hardcore games...whereas with the Wii and Move you are tied to one control method.

Sorry for the rant!

borstal -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 11:15:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

I think MS are more than aware of pricing themselves out of the market.

I wish that was true in everything they did. Are they still charging 20 for old 360 games on direct download?

Anything around 100 and I'll probably purchase it (throw in a free shitty party game too M$!) as a household of 4 users it works out pretty good. Just hope the rumours of only being able to use it when your standing are false. I like the idea of moving through the dashboard with a wave of a hand.

HIM -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 12:53:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

I think what Im trying to say in my last post was that Kinect would support and compliment the standard controller to enhance hardcore games...whereas with the Wii and Move you are tied to one control method.

Nonsense! From Microsoft's E3 showing there was absolutely no evidence that Kinect would either work with or support hardcore games. Now I'm not saying that it can't or won't, but so far Microsoft has only shown that it can work with casual games.

Plus you aren't tied to one control method with Move. Sony demonstrated it with Killzone 3, SOCOM 4, Heavy Rain, echochrome ii, Time Crisis: Razing Storm, Toy Story 3 and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 all of which can be used with a standard controller or Move. It's also a good mix of casual and core games.

kata -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 1:16:05 PM)

quote:

Sony demonstrated it with Killzone 3, SOCOM 4, Heavy Rain, echochrome ii, Time Crisis: Razing Storm, Toy Story 3 and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 all of which can be used with a standard controller or Move.

To be fair they looked shite to control with a motion controller.  I'm massively unconvinced motion controllers work with these types of games.
Tiger woods looked good though, didn't see the others.  There's no way I'll be using motion controllers to control some of the titles I'm looking forward to in the upcoming year.

HIM -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 1:22:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

quote:

Sony demonstrated it with Killzone 3, SOCOM 4, Heavy Rain, echochrome ii, Time Crisis: Razing Storm, Toy Story 3 and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 all of which can be used with a standard controller or Move.

To be fair they looked shite to control with a motion controller.

Au contraire Kata!

quote:

Moreover, unlike Kinect, core titles can be easily supported. SOCOM 4 demonstrated that Move adds genuine value to a tactical shooter in a way that simply couldn't be implemented on the competing HD motion controller, providing a naturally intuitive interface that we found to be markedly superior to the standard DualShock setup.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-playstation-move-tech-interview

sroey -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 1:44:52 PM)

quote:

quote:

Nonsense! From Microsoft's E3 showing there was absolutely no evidence that Kinect would either work with or support hardcore games. Now I'm not saying that it can't or won't, but so far Microsoft has only shown that it can work with casual games.

Plus you aren't tied to one control method with Move. Sony demonstrated it with Killzone 3, SOCOM 4, Heavy Rain, echochrome ii, Time Crisis: Razing Storm, Toy Story 3 and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 all of which can be used with a standard controller or Move. It's also a good mix of casual and core games.

I dont think my post was nonsense buster - wind your neck in a little eh?

I meant using both control methods at the same time - should be easy to do (in theory) with Kinect as there is nothing to hold - hence the head tracking reference, whereas you cant use a control pad and move at the same time. I agree nothing has been shown on that front but I know they showed that Forza could use the head tracking in game.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 1:49:01 PM)

quote:

quote:

The important word in that phrase being "or", whereas sroey is quite clearly talking about using a controller and Kinect.

You remind me of David Coulthard on the beebs F1 coverage, constantly defending his Red Bull paymasters. It's actually quite endearing [8D].

Personally speaking MS can shove Kinect until it's reasonably priced (as fas as I'm concerned 100 isn't reasonably priced for a peripheral) and has a decent line up of games that use the tech well. Hand gestures, head movements and voice recognition are acceptable, jumping around the living room like a lunatic is not (IMO of course).

HIM -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 1:50:55 PM)

haha my neck is wound in. That nonsense wasn't a malicious nonsense. Wind your neck in. [:D]

The PS Move uses the PlayStation Eye camera. Gran Turismo 5 for instance uses head tracking, so it is kind of nonsense to suggest that you can't use a DualShock controller and an PlayStation Eye (which is an integral part of Move) at the same time like you can (in theory) use a contoller and Kinect.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5s-head-tracking-explained/

HIM -> RE: Kinect $150 (22/6/2010 1:56:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

The important word in that phrase being "or", whereas sroey is quite clearly talking about using a controller and Kinect.

Ah I get it. OK that's fair enough, but see my post above this (and below yours). You can use the PlayStation Eye and a DualShock controller for head tracking with Gran Turismo 5, which is exactly what sorey was suggesting couldn't be done with PS Move.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI