RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad

borstal -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 2:43:46 PM)

I said it could work on Wii and Im saying it WOULD work on Kinect.

A full RTS game on a console. No need even for a mouse.

paulyboy -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 2:59:50 PM)

The Wii died a hideous, horrible, lonely painful death in our household (when I was living back at home) and to date remains the biggest waste of money me or my family have ever spent on a console inside of the last twenty years. Even used in a party/fun capacity the appeal was limited and soon wore off.

Unless Kinect can distance itself from the inevitable slew of Wii like sports, dancing and keep fit titles that are bound to plague the peripheral from day one I just don't envisage myself ever becoming enthused.

That said this kind of thing obviously has it's target audience and to be fair - at the moment and with the games announced thus far - I'm not it.

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 4:13:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scabby

I can't deny that the prospect of barking orders at your troops in a COD-like title would be awesome. Perhaps movements could commands them as well. That's the type of intergration I'd like to see with the controller.

You don't need Kinect to do this; Tom Clancey's Endwar for example. Plus the PlayStation Eye camera has a directional mic built in and there's Wii Chat or whatever it's called. Voice control is more about good software than hardware.

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 4:15:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

quote:

Conversion from what? No price has been announced, it's pure speculation....

They announced it would be $150 at E3. And a bundle with the new Xbox for $299.

Find a link please because I don't see why Aaron Greenberg would come out and say the price was speculative if it was MS who announced it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/greenberg-kinect-pricing-purely-speculative

Fair enough I thought the $150 price point was confirmed. But I'd be majorly surprised if it's not around that figure. Realistically, how much do you think it will be? Also, you hate the thing, why are you defending it? Is it because I'm attacking it? [:D]

Scabby -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 4:19:17 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Find a link please because I don't see why Aaron Greenberg would come out and say the price was speculative if it was MS who announced it.

Fair enough I thought the $150 price point was confirmed. But I'd be majorly surprised if it's not around that figure. Realistically, how much do you think it will be? Also, you hate the thing, why are you defending it? Is it because I'm attacking it? [:D]

It's because its Microsoft [:D]

And you're right about TC Endwar. I think that there definitely is potential, but I'm not sure if it's worth the investment.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 4:50:29 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not at all, if you want to slag it off, slag it off, but just for valid reasons.

I am in full agreement that the games are shovel ware but there is still potential, and it's only the potential I'm interested in games wise. I am however worried devices like this will kill off what we know as gaming and leave us with just casual mini game compilations.

However the Minority Report menus are going to be hard to resist if it's cheap enough.

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 7:54:12 PM)

I think I've given very good reasons why I've slagged it off and backed them up with fact and reason. I've also admitted that Kinect tech is very good. I can only comment on what I've been shown and what I've been shown is very poor indeed. I find it laughable also that after having dev kits for a full year (it'll be a year and half come launch) these are best and most 'innovative' games that developers could come up with. There really isn't an original or novel game or use of Kinect among them.

DJ Satan -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 8:15:20 PM)

quote:

I work for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe as a games tester.

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 8:24:25 PM)

And? I own an Xbox 360 Elite too. Where do you work?

Can you honestly, hand on heart, say that those games showcased during E3 are good enough to justify spending the money on Kinect? Forget about what you hope will happen with the tech (tilting your body to look round corners, head tracking to view your environment etc...) and just focus on what Microsoft have actually showcased.

the anomaly -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 8:26:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

OOOooo I've got an interview for a testing job (not at sony though) ... any advice please? [:)]
I'm serious! [8|]

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 8:29:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

quote:

OOOooo I've got an interview for a testing job (not at sony though) ... any advice please? [:)]
I'm serious! [8|]

I'll send you a PM.

DJ Satan -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 8:34:33 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

quote:

I'm serious! [8|]

I'll send you a PM.

Or lets start a new thread. [:)]

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 8:41:08 PM)

You has PM Anomoly.

As for starting a new thread, I'm afraid my lips are sealed. NDA and all that.

DJ Satan -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 8:43:52 PM)

quote:

You has PM Anomoly.

As for starting a new thread, I'm afraid my lips are sealed. NDA and all that.

There are lots you can say that isn't covered by NDA.

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 8:52:10 PM)

Such as?

[edit]Ah I get you now. Just read your thread. I shall comment in there.

Also, you still ain't answered my question:

Can you honestly, hand on heart, say that those games showcased during E3 are good enough to justify spending the money on Kinect? Forget about what you hope will happen with the tech (tilting your body to look round corners, head tracking to view your environment etc...) and just focus on what Microsoft have actually showcased.

DJ Satan -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 8:59:25 PM)

Yes I can. I bought a Wii at the midnight launch but sold it after six months of non use. When I had time to game I gamed on the 360. I quite fancied Wii fit but it was too expensive in total to buy a Wii again.

So I would probably pick up a fitness game, being just past the age where I could eat whatever I liked and stay slim. I will also pick up a sports game as they were fun - and with achievements they will be even more fun.

Then again, to answer your question precisely, menu voice control and gesture controlled dashboard is enough for me. [:D]

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 9:03:17 PM)

If you bought a Wii at launch and then sold it after just six months because you never used it, why will Kinect be any different?

kata -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 9:36:10 PM)

quote:

Standing Room Only
Right now, Kinect only works when you stand. This includes menu navigation. All the cool options to grab a slider and advance through frames of a movie you are watching only work when you are on your feet. Kinect, we've been told, has problems handling your skeletal frame while sitting. The voice commands still work, but every game we've seen and even simple menu navigation have to be done with you out of your seat. That's not exactly how I want to watch my movies. If the focus for Kinect is creating games like Dance Central that naturally would require you to be off your couch, that's great. But I have to say, no one thinks "I am driving a car!" while standing up in their living room.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1099085p1.html

Thats a pretty killer blow for me, prob wont affect my GF's opinion of it though.

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 9:46:28 PM)

quote:

Then again, to answer your question precisely, menu voice control and gesture controlled dashboard is enough for me. [:D]

Looks like you'll have to stand up every time you want to navigate around the dashboard. Think I'll stick to using the controller for that. [;)]

kata -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 9:51:18 PM)

I can't see it launching without it.  Prob why that IGN article starts with "Right now".

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 9:57:09 PM)

It's been in development for well over a year so if they haven't cracked it now then it's unlikely to be fixed in five months.

kata -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 10:02:18 PM)

I think it might have been left out to avoid any Miyamoto/Zelda style foul ups.  It's clearly something they were aiming from, it was in all the promo shit.

Course that's based on no facts whatsoever!  But the fact the demos weren't happening live show MS weren't prepared to show it malfunctioning.

DJ Satan -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (16/6/2010 11:02:11 PM)

quote:

If you bought a Wii at launch and then sold it after just six months because you never used it, why will Kinect be any different?

Just noticed my reply didn't post. [:@]

Kinect has Gamerscore and XBox Live support. With the Wii I had to choose which system I wanted to run. With kinect it is the same system.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (17/6/2010 12:33:57 PM)

The Kinect looks great, but obviously needs to be backed up with quality games. Is there not going to be a controller to go with it because I'd prefer a Wii type handheld set up personally. As for the price, 100 is fine - By the way when's the Star Wars lightsaber game out'[sm=fighting03.gif][sm=fighting03.gif][sm=fighting03.gif]

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (17/6/2010 12:51:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

The Kinect looks great, but obviously needs to be backed up with quality games. Is there not going to be a controller to go with it because I'd prefer a Wii type handheld set up personally. As for the price, 100 is fine - By the way when's the Star Wars lightsaber game out'[sm=fighting03.gif][sm=fighting03.gif][sm=fighting03.gif]

Just hold the TV remote if you need to hold something.

DJ Satan -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (17/6/2010 1:00:50 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker
Is there not going to be a controller to go with it because I'd prefer a Wii type handheld set up personally.

Just hold the TV remote if you need to hold something.
 [image]http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/555406272_QZs5b-L-2.jpg[/image]

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (17/6/2010 2:46:43 PM)

[:D]

Pratt82 -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (17/6/2010 8:36:48 PM)

Kinect looks and sounds brilliant, alot better than the Wii. 100 in my opinion is cheap compared to some shit that's around.

From the list of games that are out I don't think I'll bother straight away but here's hoping they will bring out some sort of 'Command & Conquer' game or equivelant where you can control armies from your living room. [:D]

(don't know how it might work, I think I saw a trailer for a fitness game that's been announced for the Kinect where to select stuff on the screen you just move your hand over it a flick the wrist which then your image obviously mimics this, maybe that way [&:])

The 'Star Wars' game with LIGHT SABERS looks good, probably the most appealing game announced at the moment for me.

There's no doubt that me and the 'wife to be' will get one but I'm in no rush.

HIM -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (17/6/2010 9:43:14 PM)

On the subject of the Star Wars game, surely this is a case where PlayStation Move is clearly the better suited tech? With the PS3's 1:1 motion tracking the lightsaber will move exactly where you move the Move wand. Kinect has a small but noticable latency where by ther is a small delay from the actions you perform to these actions being replicated on screen. Then there's the fact that you want be holding anything (although as SHP rightly points out you can always hold a remote control or something).

DJ Satan -> RE: The XBox Kinect Thread (17/6/2010 10:01:17 PM)

quote:

On the subject of the Star Wars game, surely this is a case where PlayStation Move is clearly the better suited tech? With the PS3's 1:1 motion tracking the lightsaber will move exactly where you move the Move wand. Kinect has a small but noticable latency where by ther is a small delay from the actions you perform to these actions being replicated on screen. Then there's the fact that you want be holding anything (although as SHP rightly points out you can always hold a remote control or something).

I've read several reports that claims 1:1 motion tracking has been achieved with the Kinect with no lag.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI