(Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Biggus -> (31/5/2010 11:09:59 AM)

del Toro is my favourite director working today and as much as I love The Lord of the Rings and would be interested to see del Toro's take on this universe I'm quite glad that he has decided to leave the project. He has an abundance of original stories in hiswonderful mind and I think the sort of commitment required to direct the 2 Hobbit films would stifle his creativity somewhat.

darth silas -> RE: MGM (31/5/2010 11:25:49 AM)

Hows about we get a Hellboy 3 now?

Rgirvan44 -> RE: MGM (31/5/2010 11:51:38 AM)

I would rather he didn't do Hellboy 3. I love the first two films, but I would rather see GTD go off and do something new.

Personally At The Mountains Of Madness should happen - with all the adaptations of pulp sci-fi and fantasy from the early 20th century being made (Conan, John Carter from Mars etc) it is time for Lovecraft to get his due.

Also - interesting that James McAvoy joined the cast of X Men late last week. Wasn't he rumored to be up for the role of Bilbo?

As for new director - Peter Weir is my dream choice, Vincent Ward is the ballsy choice and Curon is the Mexican choice.

I don't want Blomkamp to do it- he needs to forge is own path in cool sci-fi movies.

Jackson may end up doing it himself - haven't much at all about Tintin....

Scruffybobby -> Del Toro quits Hobbit (31/5/2010 11:52:29 AM)

This is pretty disappointing, I would have loved to see what he could have done with the film, Still with everything he was doing I guess something had to give, and the Hobbit wasn't getting anywhere fast. Good luck to him with whatever he does next

Maybe Jackson should pick up the reins, like others I really couldn't care less about Tintin  The cinematic Middle Earth is very much his world, he should be the one to carry it forward

Snake-Eyes -> oh well.... (31/5/2010 11:55:08 AM)

Del Toro is extremely talented and had about 385 projects planned at one point! It'll be inetesrting to see what he goes after next.

Pigeon Army -> RE: MGM (31/5/2010 12:41:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I would rather he didn't do Hellboy 3. I love the first two films, but I would rather see GTD go off and do something new.

Personally At The Mountains Of Madness should happen - with all the adaptations of pulp sci-fi and fantasy from the early 20th century being made (Conan, John Carter from Mars etc) it is time for Lovecraft to get his due.

Also - interesting that James McAvoy joined the cast of X Men late last week. Wasn't he rumored to be up for the role of Bilbo?

As for new director - Peter Weir is my dream choice, Vincent Ward is the ballsy choice and Curon is the Mexican choice.

I don't want Blomkamp to do it- he needs to forge is own path in cool sci-fi movies.

Jackson may end up doing it himself - haven't much at all about Tintin....

This is just all lifted straight from our convo earlier, isn't it? [:D]

Damn shame that Del Toro had to quit - when I met him and talked to him about it, he seemed genuinely excited about the project. Pity it had to come to this.

Beno -> RE: oh well.... (31/5/2010 12:43:40 PM)

Peter Jackson is the only Director i want now . These 2 movies will make tons of money , surely you have to speculate to acumulate even in the movie biz ...... i think some guys at MGM are spineless from what i've read .

The Todge -> RE: RE: (31/5/2010 1:09:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: plum bob

give it back to jackson!! end of!

Agreed.
Stop hiding behind the "producer" mask and step up to the plate...

I agree, with this sad turn of events it's the only way to go.

It's tragic though, as Del Toro was the man for the job hands down.  He really got the idea that The Hobbit has to look different yet feel like the same world, I loved how he talked about everything looking sort of golden.  I think his two parter would have been quite something.  Real shame. 

emperorglenuff -> MCGGGGGGG (31/5/2010 1:38:10 PM)

Someone detain him, frame him for murder or something, just don't let him anywhere near this

billythehick -> (31/5/2010 3:08:56 PM)

Well al we have to do is wait until 2043 and then the books will become public domain.

Jenzy -> Somebody is going to regret this... (31/5/2010 3:28:58 PM)

The only director more perfect for The Hobbit than Peter Jackson, was Del Toro. Somewhere down the line we'll be left wondering about this film that never was. When they get lumbered with some second-rate director.

Fit Kisto -> RE: Somebody is going to regret this... (31/5/2010 4:56:34 PM)

I wonder if they would consider Juan Antonio Bayona, dierctor of The Orphanage, as a potential replacement? I could be beneficial to use someone Del Toro has a working relationship with. The same could equally be said for the Jackson/Neil Blomkamp connection

ROTGUT -> AFTER A FAIRLY SHITTY SESSION AT THE BOOKIES...... (31/5/2010 5:35:17 PM)

this depressing news caps off a fairly shitty bank holiday full stop. The administrative mess that is MGM would appear to have far reaching consequences. Jackson must plunge back into middle earth and save this thing now. How could he not?

darkjediknightmare -> RE: Hobbit films (31/5/2010 5:41:13 PM)

There are a TON of very good directors out there and everyone seems to want a guy who has an "off-the-wall" style, like Peter Jackson or Sam Raimi. How about someone who's not really connected to the Middle Earth idea but has had some success as a director? Chris Columbus might be a good choice if he's given a degree of control; Jonathan Frakes is a Star Trek guy, but I feel hr might be a good fit; or a big name (and I mean BIG name) , like Steven Spielberg, only because he would be the ONLY one who could follow what's set in stone, yet put his own stamp on it. He did it with Stanley Kubrick's last project, AI: Artificial Intelligence. That film had Kubrick's style written all over it, but Spielberg still managed to make it his own.

TheSpleen -> RE: Hobbit films (31/5/2010 6:47:19 PM)

Good for him for putting his foot down and sayin enough is enough. Maybe studios will realise these people will only take so much messing about. Gutted he's out, personally i'm hoping for Hellboy 3.

wenna_berry_23 -> director? (31/5/2010 6:59:49 PM)

I'm worried about who will be up to the task - jackson no doubt could do it but im not sure he will - i don't think sam raimi could pull it off - he's good but ive nevr been a huge fan of the films hes directed - the hobbit needs someone really special!

MaxRenn -> Give the gig to Alf (no, not the furry cat eating alien) (31/5/2010 8:07:25 PM)

Alfonso Curon for the job...he did a spanking good job with HP3 and Children of Men was a visual hoot as well.

Jasper_29 -> RE: Del Toro Won't Direct The Hobbit (31/5/2010 8:35:00 PM)

They could give it to Paul Verhoeven.

eddc1990 -> No more Del Toro!!! (31/5/2010 8:44:07 PM)

I have to say i'm absolutely gutted that Del Toro is no longer directing, i think they guy is brilliant and i love all his movies, but aslong as someone like Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich doesn't replace him then i'm fairly confident that whoever does will do a great job.

Del Toro and Jackson have already laid the foundation of the movie with creature designs and screenplay etc they just need to start filming and soon!!! Hopefully this might sway Jackson to take the helm and bring us back to Middle earth (i'd be surprised if he doesn't) even if he doesn't Jackson won't just let anyone come along and do what they want with it.

Greagoir -> What a weekend... (31/5/2010 10:10:20 PM)

First Mr. Hopper throws his leg over his iron horse and hits the highway to heaven and now Del Toro jacks[on] in The Hobbit... it doesn't get much worse than this, well apart from empires top 50 video game character list. Hopefully Mr. Jackson will step in as I think he is the only director capable of giving middle earth back its magic...

jamesjewell1983 -> Hellboy 3 (31/5/2010 11:30:57 PM)

this really coulda been a contender.
nevermind; more Hellboy would go someway to making up for it.

Cynric -> New Director? (1/6/2010 12:39:48 AM)

How about Chris Weitz! Maybe he could work the same magic that he did on the 'His Dark Materials' franchise?

Ya think?

Tenacious P -> (1/6/2010 12:54:35 AM)

Sad, sad news indeed. Although if Hellboy 3 can make an appearance now, I wouldn't complain.
If Jackson is still not willing to do the right thing & direct himself then I think that Neill Blomkamp might be a good choice. District 9 was a triumph not only visually but as an original story & as a production overall. He already has Jackson's backing & has proved that he is a very creative director. By NO means should Sam Raimi even be considered for the job as I've not yet seen anything by him that I would consider even close to being good.

nickuk -> love-in! (1/6/2010 7:33:32 AM)

Wow! Never have I witnessed such a display of mutual masturbation....

kittybinks -> Jackson's THE MAN (1/6/2010 7:55:30 AM)

I am really sorry to hear that he has gone, there is an obvious need for the visionary director of The Lord Of The Rings to pick up the reins and complete what is one of the best literery treasures of our modern age. No-one else can ensure that the look and feel of the new movies will match seamlessly into the trilogy already committed to celluloid, because remember this is all part of one huge journey and it should have continuity.
I understand theat Peter Jackson lived & breathed The Lord Of The Rings for what seemed like an age...........What a masterpiece was produced! my money.............and New Line's Money is on him. MAKE THE BLOODY MOVIE!

Mr Grizzly -> In the style of Darth Vader; (1/6/2010 9:22:35 AM)

Noooooooooo!

That is all.

Mr Grizzly -> In the style of Darth Vader; (1/6/2010 9:22:40 AM)

Noooooooooo!

That is all.

XVII -> Oh no! (1/6/2010 9:55:17 AM)

With Jackson originally handing over the reigns to Del Toro I felt in safe hands. Now with him backing out there can be only once choise, the first choise. Come on Peter, make The Hobbit. Please.

lukeyboy -> Bummer! (1/6/2010 11:39:44 AM)

This is a bit of bad news! Del Toro is one of a very select group of people that i think could do the Hobbit justice - the only others i could see doing it are Peter Jackson (of course), Sam Raimi, Alex Proyas or Steven Spielberg. I'd personally like to see what Proyas could do with it, but if, as i expect, Raimi get's the gig - that would be good too![;)]

boredbluekoala -> PETER JACKSON TO DIRECT THE HOBBIT (1/6/2010 12:12:13 PM)

Who else could do it justice?

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI