Del Toro Won't Direct The Hobbit (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Del Toro Won't Direct The Hobbit (31/5/2010 12:35:22 AM)

Post your comments on this article

Walt Flanagan -> sadness (31/5/2010 12:35:22 AM)

what a waste of talent....

It is awful when big business gets in the way of art...

badassmofo -> (31/5/2010 12:36:39 AM)

Well after all this time, I'm kinda stunned he stuck it out this long as with the guy being at the peak of his life creatively, to not know just when he would be able to film must have killed him for a long time. The Hobbit will be fine with Jackson co-producing, the screenplays are done and now Del Toro can do what he loves: actually MAKE movies.

Dirty Hartigan -> Bit of a disaster for Jackson and co... (31/5/2010 12:37:17 AM)

Understandable why GDT left, but it's a big blow to the project.

badassmofo -> (31/5/2010 12:44:57 AM)

Well after all this time, I'm kinda stunned he stuck it out this long as with the guy being at the peak of his life creatively, to not know just when he would be able to film must have killed him for a long time. The Hobbit will be fine with Jackson co-producing, the screenplays are done and now Del Toro can do what he loves: actually MAKE movies.

Noelg25 -> RE: sadness (31/5/2010 12:46:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walt Flanagan

what a waste of talent....

It is awful when big business gets in the way of art...

Couldn't agree more. After watching Pan's Labyrinth and even Hellboy II, I was so stoked for seeing this under Del Toro's creative direction. Now that will cease to be :(

Martin1876 -> Neill Blomkamp (31/5/2010 12:50:36 AM)

As new director.

You know it makes sense.

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Neill Blomkamp (31/5/2010 12:51:35 AM)

This is very disappointing news....

Whilst I liked the Tolken books (Rings & the Hobbit), it was the prospect of Del Toro creating his vision for middle earth that had me salivating. So to hear that he has departed the project is a massive blow to the future films and I for one won't be anticipating them anywhere near as much now this has transpired.

jimoakley666 -> MGM (31/5/2010 1:01:12 AM)

1- I'm chuffed. Not a fan of all that goblin shit. Never got the love for the Rings. But I am a big fan of Del Toro. This means we get more of his original stuff like Pan's and Devil's, that's great news. Can't wait to see his take on Frankenstein.

2- MGM get your fucking arses into gear. If Daniel Craig pisses off from Bond due to these pricks I will be very VERY sore. What the hell are they doing, for god's sake?

Kmadden2004 -> (31/5/2010 1:46:41 AM)

Perhaps it's time for MGM to fall on its sword and sell the movie rights to the Hobbit...

lona_no_friends -> Doomed I Say! (31/5/2010 3:12:22 AM)

If they hire either Sam Raimi or Neill Blomkamp, the thing may still be salvageable. Otherwise, this is pretty much doomed

Garth_Marenghi -> Jackson or Raimi (31/5/2010 3:18:31 AM)

Pete should just roll his sleeves up and direct this one himself; with Del Toro doing a big chunk of the workload in pre-production, surely that will have given Jackson enough of a break? Failing that, Sam Raimi - a big influence on Bad Taste-era Jackson - should be given a chance. The perfect consolation prize for being screwed over by Sony and Marvel.

IRISHKNIGHT110 -> THE HOBBIT (31/5/2010 3:33:33 AM)

only Del Torro can direct The Hobbit if it's to be the best movie it can be.

angier21 -> (31/5/2010 6:19:04 AM)

sad day...

monkeyhumour -> Lets still remember (31/5/2010 6:31:52 AM)

At the mountains of madness and his other projects will come sooner this way

But watching The Lord of the Rings the other day I was starting to get really excited about this

Nalfeshnee -> (31/5/2010 6:42:19 AM)

great news.... maybe the mountains of madness or Hellboy 3 will come sooner this way. i beginning to get tired of all the bureauocratical BS tied to this film and bond 23, so probably a good personal move for him. still, good to hear of his continued involvement, whatever the capacity.

marlowe9 -> A Noble Sacrifice (31/5/2010 8:33:52 AM)

Definitely a good personal decision on Del Toro's part, but heartbreaking nonetheless. Del Toro has been one of my favourite filmmakers since the late 90s, and it's been wonderful to see his star rising over the past decade - so when he got The Hobbit gig, I was very very excited. That said, I always had a few reservations - thus far, Del Toro's English-language films have suffered in comparison to his Spanish-language projects (although I do love the Hellboy films, even as a 'fundamentalist' fan of the comics), and I wasn't sure if Del Toro's visual style would sit comfortably alongside the world established by Jackson. Personally I think the designs of Del Toro's films would have been superior and more original, but my problem would be that they look distinctively Del Toro-ish, and therefore lose some of the immersive effect and feel of a real alternate world that LOTR succeeded in (re)creating. I look forward to Del Toro getting on with his other, more personal, projects and getting films back onto our screens.

But with Del Toro now gone and having done so much work on the project, I wonder if there is another filmmaker who could successfully take up the mantle without the Wolfman or X-Men 3 effect. It's a sad loss.

plum bob -> (31/5/2010 8:37:50 AM)

give it back to jackson!! end of!

BOHEMIANBOB -> RE: (31/5/2010 8:51:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: plum bob

give it back to jackson!! end of!

Agreed.
Stop hiding behind the "producer" mask and step up to the plate...

sweetladybrick -> Excellent news! (31/5/2010 9:02:34 AM)

It's been a hard slog for Del Toro, but at least this sets him free to make other films- there were so many tantaslising options he had set up before this came along. Most of them are probably unavailable now, but Frankenstein, Tarzan, Mountains of Madness... maybe a smaller film like Cronos or Pan's Labyrinth... that'd be good. Anyway, this is exciting because Del Toro is free of the ring!

steveg66 -> (31/5/2010 9:07:13 AM)

F$%# MGM! Someone sort these arses out for the sake of this film and Bond! Hope Jackson takes the directors chair.

pete_traynor -> Least surprising news ever... (31/5/2010 9:24:52 AM)

And as much as I love GDT's work his english language endeavors have always felt vastly inferior to his other works to me. This could be a blessing in the long run. Come on Jackson, time to step up to the plate no?

bradthunder -> I'll bet... (31/5/2010 9:32:51 AM)

McG gets it!

efc91 -> (31/5/2010 9:37:21 AM)

This film is cursed.

Marwood -> Sad news but you can hardly blame him (31/5/2010 9:45:00 AM)

Del Toro has so many projects stacked up that as a filmmaker he just cannot wait for MGM to sort themselves out anymore. I was really looking forward to The Hobbit under his direction but I guess this was a matter of time kind of situation.
I think Jackson will end up directing this himself; he's been developing it alongside Del Toro and considering all the pre-production work and script is done at this stage hiring another director would mean either someone who would work with all the existing stuff completed or starting development all over again to fit the new director's tastes. Option 1 is kind of bad because it could mean a journeyman/yes man ends up directing and it will be an uninspired return to the Tlkien universe - kind of like Return of The Jedi. Option 2 is also bad because starting all over again means more delays or severe rushing to meet the release dates projected by WB. I think providing he actually wants to do it then Jackson should slot into the chair; he's been through all this before, is a fantastic filmmaker and as mentioned he's worked alongside Del Toro the whole time so would surely be able to use the existing designs for sets, creatures etc.

sephiroth7 -> (31/5/2010 9:45:03 AM)

Delighted, fucking delighted. The Devil's Backbone is good but every single movie he's made since then has been poor. Yes I'd include Pan's Labyrinth in that. Jesus Christ the fantasy was intrusive. Now lets hope common sense prevails and PJ gets behind the fucking camera.

theonering -> (31/5/2010 10:12:16 AM)

COME NOW MR JACKSON, AS HARD AS THE RINGS TRILOGY MUST HAVE BEEN TO DIRECT FOR SUCH A LONG TIME , ONLY YOU COULD DO THIS FILM JUSTICE, HELP US PETER JACKSON YOUR OUR ONLY HOPE.

Alistair -> Del Crapo (31/5/2010 10:13:54 AM)

Personally I'm quite glad he has left the project. He could possible have made a really good film, but we'll never know. Jackson should just stop with all the bollocks and get behind the camera, as he truly is the only person who can make a great Hobbit film. Just how exactly were they going to get Del Toro's style to fit in with what Jackson had done with the original trilogy (hehe)? Too quirky for my tastes (and if I'm honest, not all that good).

Again, I find frustration with Jackson's stance on why he doesn't want to direct The Hobbit. He once said that he didn't want to make it because he'd be 'competing with himself'. I'm not sure I understand this. If anything, The Hobbit represents an all-new challenge for Jackson: Could he make a better film than any of the LOTR films? It's quite possible. That is the major challenge. Even Jackson himself said of the LOTR films that they "weren't the perfect films I had in my head when I set out to make them" (not verbatim). Learn from your mistakes then Peter!

Peter, do the right thing, forget about that shite TIN TIN and direct The Hobbit. Search your feelings...you know it to be true (hang on, wrong franchise!).

herbertwest1701 -> (31/5/2010 10:30:48 AM)

It's a heavy disappointment for sure, though anything that potentially accelerates a Lovecraftian project is a definite silver lining.

UTB -> RE: MGM (31/5/2010 11:01:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimoakley666

1- I'm chuffed. Not a fan of all that goblin shit. Never got the love for the Rings. But I am a big fan of Del Toro. This means we get more of his original stuff like Pan's and Devil's, that's great news. Can't wait to see his take on Frankenstein.

Absolutely agree.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI