RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online

nobody0 -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (26/4/2010 9:35:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobotDevil
And trilogies / sequels shouldn't be counted separately IMO

I agree with this, which makes the list slightly flawed.

Also there a mistake with the Herzog/KInski entry, they only actually made 5 films together and not 7. Six if you count My Best Fiend, which isn't a collaboration at all.

Another you could include would be Jim Jarmusch with Tom Waits, John Lurie and/or Roberto Benigni.

_Eraserhead_ -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (26/4/2010 11:42:34 AM)

I guess Josef von Sternberg and Marlene Dietrich never reached the same cinematic brilliance as Adam McKay and Will Ferrel

dsmacpherson -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (26/4/2010 3:11:03 PM)

For me, a glaring omission is Zhang Yimou and Gong Li, who not only together created several incredible films, but manifested their artistic partnership in a romantic one!

Also arguably Takeshi Kitano and himself - indeed, throughout his film career he has explored his two sides, the director and actor.

Dan North -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (26/4/2010 3:15:55 PM)

From Asia, I'd throw in:

Yasujiro Ozu and Setsuko Hara
Wong Kar-Wai and Maggie Cheung

From elsewhere:

John Cassavetes and Gena Rowlands
Josef von Sternberg and Marlene Dietrich
D.W. Griffith and Lillian Gish
Jim Jarmusch and Tom Waits (a stretch on quantity, but a perfect match)
Jean-Luc Godard and Anna Karina

Le Samourai -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (26/4/2010 7:00:18 PM)

Yes, you've missed quite a few other notable great collaborations...

John Woo & Chow Yun Fat
Jean Pierre Melville & Alain Delon
Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
Quentin Tarantino & Harvey Keitel
Quentin Tarantino & Samuel Jackson
Akira Kurosawa & Takashi Shimura
Brain DePalma & Al Pacino
Clint Eastwood & Morgan Freeman
Stanley Kubrick & Peter Sellers

bwaynef -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (26/4/2010 11:17:29 PM)

Don Siegel and Clint Eastwood
Howard Hawks and John Wayne
Woody Allen and Diane Keaton
Woody Allen and Mia Farrow
and . . . Roger Corman and Vincent Price!

AyaVandenbussch -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (26/4/2010 11:57:08 PM)

I will not repeat all the collaborations mentioned as I agree with most.

I just wanted to say that I don't agree with some of the choices of the best film chosen for those collaborations, mainly the Hitchcock/Cary grant, Notorious is a far better film than north by north west, and Spielberg/Hanks, I think The Terminal is by far the best out of the films they made together definitely better then the overrated Saving Private Ryan.

Also why do people hate Always so much. It's not his best film but it's better then the Patrick Swayze's Ghost! And Dreyfuss is charming in it. Just my opinion. 

fairportfan -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (27/4/2010 3:02:25 AM)

Personally, if i must use an English title for Truffautt's "La nuite Americaine", i prefer the idiomatic translation - "Day for Night", the English name for the same filming technique - to "The American Night", which, while a precise translation, has nothing to do with the film.

fairportfan -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (27/4/2010 3:09:33 AM)

Can't agree that "The Searchers" is "... the greatest of all Westerns ... ".

Even setting aside my own favourite for that slot ("Once Upon a Time in the West"), there are others i'd rate nearer to the greatest...

quentintarantado -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (27/4/2010 7:15:02 AM)

Ah, the director/actors missed are considerable. I want to throw in Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg.

AyaVandenbussch -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (27/4/2010 11:13:43 AM)

I would also like to protest that Ridley Scot & Russell Crow are a great collaboration.

Ridley Scot's film took a bad turn since he fell in love with Crow, who has got less charisma and acting abilities than a cucumber!

Again my personal opinion, and i would choose many of the above mention missed collaboration a long time before I would choose those 2 as great collaboration!

alzih -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (27/4/2010 11:31:39 AM)

Omitting Paddy Considine and Shane Meadows was a shocker but the kicker had to be Daniel Day Lewis and Jim Sheridan. 3 superb movies together, multiple oscar nominated movies, both have oscars thanks to their collaborations and yet they are not there.
If the Pope had tears he'd be crying right now, shocker.....
An honourable mention to David O Russell an his ego, the modern day Thelma and Louise...

efc91 -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (27/4/2010 9:37:55 PM)

I was expecting Alfred Hitchcock and Grace Kelly but then there would have been too many Hitchcock partnerships in the list.

Biggus -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (27/4/2010 10:49:58 PM)

I may be a little premature with this one but Guillermo del Toro and Ron Perlman seem to click very well together.

EDIT: Add Doug Jones to that as well.

akeating74 -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (28/4/2010 10:12:30 AM)

What about Daniel Day Lewis and Jim Sheridan (My Left Foot, In the name of the father, the boxer)?

hughjon -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (28/4/2010 10:28:59 AM)

I would have to go with David Lean and Alec Guiness though there are some other stellar pairings in the list. Lean was one of the greatest directors ever.

marcosmane -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (28/4/2010 5:06:36 PM)

What about Guy Ritchie and Jason Statham?

triishuuhh -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (28/4/2010 11:01:04 PM)

I AGREE!!

Leo DiCaprio & Martin Scorsese ???!
John Hughes & Molly Ringwald ??!
Francis Ford Coppola & Marlon Brando ??!!!

bondurant1977 -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (29/4/2010 1:11:40 PM)

Clint Eastwood & Clint Eastwood!!

Metalion -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (30/4/2010 6:24:47 AM)

What the hell, Empire?! Only the truly ignorant could believe that the Swedes invented the sauna. It is in fact FINNISH! We don't have much to brag about in this country, but I thought it was pretty clear that we gave the art of sitting in a steaming hot room to the world.

Companero -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (30/4/2010 10:15:36 AM)

There are some great partnerships on that list but there's some proper filler too (Rodriguez and Trejo? Fuck off). I instantly thought of John Woo and Chow Yun Fat (as someone else already mentioned on here), along with Franco Nero and Enzo G. Castellari (6 Films - may be considered exploitation but if Rodriguez and Trejo can get a mention, so should they), Sean Connery and Sidney Lumet (four films, two are exceptional) and the worst oversight, Malcolm McDowell and Lindsay Anderson. Shame on you. I bet Total Film wouldn't have overlooked McDowell and Anderson [:D]

f6115504 -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (30/4/2010 11:46:49 AM)

Welles and Welles, The Stranger, Touch of Evil (hello hispanic heston) and Citizen Kane. Plus his best work was with himself.

agree with John Cassavetes and Gena Rowlands also chow yun fat and john woo

thorkell -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (30/4/2010 3:36:03 PM)

Where are:

Yasujiro Ozu and Setsuko Hara
John Cassavetes and Gena Rowlands
Josef von Sternberg and Marlene Dietrich

???

SteveO85 -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (30/4/2010 5:19:40 PM)

Overall I thought it was a good list though some enteries were stronger than others, here is some I thought could have been included (most have been mentioned):

Woody Allen and Diane Keaton (surely the most serious omission how could McKay/Ferrell, Rodriguez/Trejo, Spielberg/Hanks, Sodebergh/Roberts etc all come before this pair)
Jean Luc Godard and Jean Paul Belmondo
Blake Edwards and Peter Sellers
Don Siegel and Clint Eastwood
John Woo and Chow Yun Fat

TheSpleen -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (30/4/2010 6:33:21 PM)

Steve Pink and John Cusack.
Nielsen and Zucker.

Bizz90 -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (3/5/2010 2:06:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Samurai_Zoso

You forgot John Woo/Chow Yuen-Fat, probably the greatest pairing in terms of action film the world of cinema has ever seen, producing such enduring classics as "A Better Tomorrow", "The Killer"(!) and "Hard Boiled", which influence reaches from "The Matrix" to ... well nearly every action movie which hit the screen in the last two decades

Glad to see that Kurosawa/Mifune made the list, though.

AGREED

Bizz90 -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (3/5/2010 2:15:29 AM)

Jean Pierre Melville and Jean Paul Belmondo anyone?

Ivan Reitman and Bill Murray, i admit that the Wes Anderson pairing is more interesting but his work with Reitman's been more influential
And, whilst i may get slated for this, James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix?.......well.......i like them.
I think Sydney Pollack and Robert Redford's a good one too, undeniably great pairing.

filmlovinglabourer -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (4/5/2010 1:26:03 AM)

im glad someone mentioned corman/price for the poe classics they made together.also like to throw in marvin/aldrich(attack,the dirty dozen and emperor of the north pole).

filmlovinglabourer -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (4/5/2010 1:42:41 AM)

theres also mike leigh & alison steadman,ken russell & oliver reed and what about ed wood & tor johnson.

filmlovinglabourer -> RE: 40 Great Actor & Director Partnerships (4/5/2010 12:30:59 PM)

1 more i want to add is michael reeves and ian ogilvy who made 3 movies together before the formers untimely death.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI