Terra Nova - US Speed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Timon -> Terra Nova - US Speed (21/4/2010 8:50:30 AM)

Steven Spielberg is back in the world of dinosaurs with Terra Nova, a new TV series at Fox about a family from 100 years in the future that travels back in time 150 million years to a prehistoric Earth ruled by dinosaurs.

[image]http://scifiwire.com/assets_c/2010/02/StevenSpielbergLostWorld-thumb-475x326-34058.jpg[/image]

Veteran Star Trek writer/producer Brannon Braga has joined the show as an executive producer. The show has been given a 13 episode order.

This will be Braga's first time as a showrunner since Threshold, the CBS sci-fi show (Timon - which I quite liked!) that ran for one season in 2005-2006. Before that Braga had been a showrunner for both Star Trek Voyager and Star Trek Enterprise, where he often delved into time travel. More recently he has been a writer/producer for Fox's 24, which is in its final season. In addition, Braga co-created ABC's FlashForward, which also has a time-travel theme.

This will not be Braga's first time dealing with dinosaurs. Braga co-wrote (with Joe Menosky) one of Star Trek Voyager's better episodes, "Distant Origin",  which posited the notion that a race of intelligent dinosaurs left Earth in the distant past.

Timon -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (26/5/2010 11:14:57 AM)

[image]http://img.trekmovie.com/images/sfs/terranovaconceptart-large-sftv121.jpg[/image]

From executive producers Steven Spielberg, Peter Chernin, Brannon Braga (24, "Star Trek: Enterprise") and David Fury ("Lost," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") comes an epic family adventure 85 million years in the making. TERRA NOVA follows an ordinary family embarking on an incredible journey back in time to prehistoric Earth as a small part of a massive experiment to save the human race.

In the year 2149 the world is dying. The planet is overdeveloped, overcrowded and overpolluted. With the majority of plant and animal life extinct, devotion to science has brought mankind to the brink of destruction, but has also provided its only hope for salvation. Knowing there is no way to reverse the damage to the planet, a coalition of scientists has managed to open up a fracture in the space-time continuum, creating a portal to prehistoric Earth. This doorway leads to an amazing world, one that allows for a last-ditch effort to save the human race … possibly changing the future by correcting the mistakes of the past.

The series centers on the Shannon family as they join the tenth pilgrimage of settlers to TERRA NOVA, the first colony of humans in this second chance for civilization. JIM SHANNON, a devoted father with a checkered past, guides his family through this new land of limitless beauty, mystery and terror. Jim’s wife, ELISABETH SHANNON, is a trauma surgeon chosen through a global lottery as a new addition to Terra Nova’s medical team. JOSH SHANNON is their son, mourning the girl he left behind, as he’s torn between two role models – his father and the charismatic COMMANDER FRANK TAYLOR, the leader of the settlement, and the heroic first pioneer through the time portal. MADDY SHANNON, Jim and Elizabeth’s teen daughter, is as independent and adventurous as her parents, but her distrust of authority soon leads her on a dangerous path.

In addition to blue skies, rolling rivers and lush vegetation, TERRA NOVA offers new opportunities and fresh beginnings to its recent arrivals, but the Shannons have brought with them a familial secret that may threaten their citizenship in this utopia. Additionally these adventurers soon discover that this healthy, vibrant world is not as idyllic as it initially appears. The areas surrounding Terra Nova are filled with dangerous dinosaurs, and other prehistoric threats, as well as external forces that may be intent on destroying this new world before it begins.

But perhaps even more threatening than what lies outside the protective walls is the Shannons’ realization that something sinister may be happening inside TERRA NOVA as not everyone on this mission has the same intentions of how best to save mankind.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (26/5/2010 5:00:27 PM)

Where are the Na'vi?

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (26/5/2010 5:33:18 PM)

I'll give it a go but I aren't expecting much....[:D]

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (26/5/2010 5:37:23 PM)

sounds interesting but is bound to have absolutely shocking CGI. People seem to turn a blind eye to crap CG in TV show just because its a tv show.

HIM -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (26/5/2010 9:02:20 PM)

Surely if the world is still fucked up in 2149 and they are having to send people back in time, then those people that were sent back in time obviously failed because the world got fucked up anyway. Conversely, if those sent back in time succeeded then in the future the world would be fine and the people wouldn't need to be sent back in time and so never would be sent back. Of course, one could argue that by sending them back in time they might create a parallel universe where the people succeed and avert the mistakes of the 'real' Earth. But then how would that benefit the 'real' world in any way? Their version of Earth would still be fucked up and they would have presumably spent billions of dollars on research and development, when that time and money could have been spent on helping their version of Earth instead.

indysgill -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (26/5/2010 9:33:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Surely if the world is still fucked up in 2149 and they are having to send people back in time, then those people that were sent back in time obviously failed because the world got fucked up anyway. Conversely, if those sent back in time succeeded then in the future the world would be fine and the people wouldn't need to be sent back in time and so never would be sent back. Of course, one could argue that by sending them back in time they might create a parallel universe where the people succeed and avert the mistakes of the 'real' Earth. But then how would that benefit the 'real' world in any way? Their version of Earth would still be fucked up and they would have presumably spent billions of dollars on research and development, when that time and money could have been spent on helping their version of Earth instead.

After reading that my mind done gone busted itself!

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (26/5/2010 10:10:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Its Spielberg. Back to the Future rules.

Timon -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 9:43:47 AM)

Exactly, I don't think it's a pre-destinational paradox.

*takes off Time Travel hat.

Beno -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 9:48:56 AM)

Just the title alone suggests "cancelled after one season" .

adambatman82 -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 11:05:59 AM)

Is anyone else expecting something akin to Cadillacs and Dinosaurs?

[image]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4643935593_351f35817e_o.jpg[/image]

Timon -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 11:12:21 AM)

I'd rather see something like DinoRiders!

[image]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/guitaratomik/random/DinoRidersPoster.jpg[/image]

Captain Black -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 5:50:18 PM)

That's totally what I want from this show too. [:D]

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 5:55:43 PM)

it is so not going to be like that. TV budget people, TV budget. Regardless if Spielberg's involved, no network is gonna put $200 million into a project like this, which is the minimum sum of money it would need to get anything remotely close to that Dino Riders image!

Captain Black -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 6:05:15 PM)

Well, I don't know what Primeval's budget was, but I'm guessing it's a hell of a lot less than any network show; and they did admirably on that budget.

At the end of the day, if this is a good fun show that happens to look fake as hell, it could still be worth watching.

punchdrunk -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 6:06:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Is anyone else expecting something akin to Cadillacs and Dinosaurs?

[image]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4643935593_351f35817e_o.jpg[/image]

That's was also an Arcade game (side scrolling) I played as a kid! It was great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UARViVImF_8

I've seen too many dodgy Sci-Fi tv shows featuring dinosaurs to get too excited, but I remember having low expectations when I heard that Spielberg was making a war tv series, which turned out to be "Band of Brothers"  so I'm open (and will be happy if it's on the same level) to being proved wrong!

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 6:21:36 PM)

if tv shows could have movie budgets that would be the ultimate entertainment medium IMO. I love movies but find it hard to get into characters that are only around for 3 hours, even less sometimes.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 6:40:56 PM)

WHEN THE FUCK IS THIS GOING TO START - there's plenty of vegetation in it to remind you of Lost

punchdrunk -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 7:40:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Just the title alone suggests "cancelled after one season" .

It should do a shlocky B-movie style slash cut with "Terror Nova" slashing across the screen, a high pitched screech, then blood starts dripping down the screen...

[sm=augen14.gif]

HIM -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 8:09:44 PM)

Did you know that Steven Spielberg directed the movie Jurassic Park, which also featured dinosaurs?

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 8:17:02 PM)

and Spielberg's last forray into fantastical popular entertainment was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull [&:]

HIM -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 8:41:39 PM)

Do you reckon this show will nick of the famous Jurassic Park quotes such as "Don't move. It's vision is based on movement." or "Where's the goat?" or "We're too old for this shit!"

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/5/2010 9:03:13 PM)

i dont remember the last quote but maybe it'll mirror Jeff Goldblum's immortal line: 'That is one big pile of shit!' [:D]

Im kidding of course, there's a chance this might be good.

Timon -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (28/5/2010 9:18:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

if tv shows could have movie budgets that would be the ultimate entertainment medium IMO. I love movies but find it hard to get into characters that are only around for 3 hours, even less sometimes.

Some mini series such as Rome, The Pacific and Band of Brothers have all had budgets that eclipsed the average blockbuster.... but that's HBO for you.

Captain Black -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (8/6/2010 7:00:24 PM)

Quite - a regular network could stump up similar levels, but for an unproven first year show it's a heck of risk.

Apparently Kyle Chandler was offered the lead but declined, which I'm pretty disappointed by, particularly when I realised that it would have been an absolute no-brainer to cast Connie Britton as his wife in this too, and reunite them from Friday Night Lights. Current front runner is Jason O'Mara, from a bunch of stuff including the American Life On Mars. He's a pretty solid, if not exactly exciting, choice.

MI Cruise -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (8/6/2010 8:54:56 PM)

I'd be interested in watching this whether it turned out to be awful or great I'd still stick till the end because it's Spielberg, a show like this will definately get big publicity and probably will start airing on some UK channel same time as in the US.

I think I read somewhere that Spielberg is looking for places in Austrailia to shoot the show and that it will air in the US in 2011.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (8/6/2010 9:26:07 PM)

Apparently there not taking a break in between shooting the pilot the other 12 (?) episodes because it would cost too much (don't ask me how) which sounds like the show will be pretty huge, though I wish Kyle Chandler had taken the lead as he's awesome.

Timon -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (21/6/2010 8:37:22 AM)

Jason O'Mara (US Life On Mars) has been cast as the lead.

[image]http://ten.com.au/images/lom-Jason-OMara-288x375.jpg[/image]

Timon -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (2/8/2010 7:02:00 PM)

Terra Nova has been pushed back to Fall 2011.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=68451

Timon -> RE: Terra Nova - Spielberg's Time Travel/Dinosaur Series (27/8/2010 10:32:25 AM)

Allison Miller is joining the show... whoever she is.

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.929688E-02