Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion

coolstar -> Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (19/4/2010 10:39:18 AM)

Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !!! Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works

Posted April 17, 2010 08:10 PM by Juan Calonge

20th Century FoxDuring a panel at the C2E2 comic convention in Chicago, Steve Sansweet, Lucasfilm's Director of Content Management and Head of Fan Relations, stated that the company has been working on a Star Wars Blu-ray set. "We have been at work for a couple of years working on—I won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuff—but, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material", said Sansweet.

Sansweet didn't give a date, but he said " it won't be in the too distant future."

The Digital Bits, quoting industry sources, says that Lucasfilm "tentatively plans the official Blu-ray release to happen in October 2011." Obviously, with the Alien Anthology coming later this year, a 2010 release of Star Wars can be safely ruled out, and considering that A New Hope opened theatrically in May 1977, late 2011 would be a natural choice for a 35th Anniversary Edition Anthology.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4461

jediwarrior -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (19/4/2010 10:57:09 AM)

It that happens I shall then buy a Blu-ray player.

petecriss8000 -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (19/4/2010 2:07:09 PM)

Steve Sansweet is the balls awesome.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (19/4/2010 2:47:10 PM)

"I wouldn't call it the Ultimate Boxset..."

Uh huh.

grucl -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (19/4/2010 3:05:02 PM)

Let's see what changes Lucas makes this time.

My guess: a digital yoda in EP1, EP5 and EP6.

OK, EP5&6 was a joke (hopefully)... [8|]

rich -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (19/4/2010 3:12:13 PM)

I wont be buying another copy of the Special (needs) Editions thanks George. Cleaned and remastered theatrical trilogy or nothing this time, otherwise I'll stick to the dirty laser disk reprints, which are at least untouched.

krudler -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (19/4/2010 3:29:20 PM)

The bigger question though, will you have to consider 1080p to buy this?

jcthefirst -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (19/4/2010 3:39:57 PM)

Don't reckon I'll be buying these. Unless they can make the OT look amazing.

Then I probably will.

The PT however, doubtful.

jediwarrior -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (19/4/2010 4:20:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

Let's see what changes Lucas makes this time.

My guess: a digital yoda in EP1, EP5 and EP6.

OK, EP5&6 was a joke (hopefully)... [8|]

Well the Yoda in EP1 has already been changed to Digital, thank goodness. It was shown as Digital in the Star Wars Concert.

I doubt he change EP V and VI to digital. It would just undermine Frank Oz amazing work in those films.

UTB -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (19/4/2010 4:32:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

Fit Kisto -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (19/4/2010 6:21:03 PM)

More found footage eh?

I wouldn't mind seeing that deleted Wampa at Echo base sequence from Empire, or Vader taking out the Imperial Guards from ROTJ, but any footage included on the Bluray will soon turn up on Youtube. other than for better image quality there's no need for yet another purchase.

krudler -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (19/4/2010 6:44:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (19/4/2010 8:11:07 PM)

quote:

[sm=happy07.gif]

Ripper -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (21/4/2010 7:08:38 PM)

Ive not done maths in 6 years, but wouldnt the 35th anniversary be May 2012? Not October 2011?

grucl -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (22/4/2010 8:24:48 AM)

If it doesn't include the Holiday Special in 1080p and 7.1 PCM I won't buy it!

coolstar -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (22/4/2010 10:10:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ripper

Ive not done maths in 6 years, but wouldnt the 35th anniversary be May 2012? Not October 2011?

Yes thats true

spark1 -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (27/4/2010 1:16:56 PM)

dvdactive wishlist for the boxset-

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/the-ten-things-that-the-forthcoming-star-wars-blu-ray-should-include.html

coolstar -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (29/4/2010 2:25:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

dvdactive wishlist for the boxset-

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/the-ten-things-that-the-forthcoming-star-wars-blu-ray-should-include.html

If we get all that in one box set that would be great it would be the best box set ever !!

rich -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (29/4/2010 3:51:09 PM)

Yeah that list is basically what we should get. This is also the reason we wont get anything that good.

coolstar -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (4/5/2010 5:14:15 PM)

I hope we get a good transfer on all six films but let me warn you ANH will have grain

adambatman82 -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (4/5/2010 5:19:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: coolstar

I hope we get a good transfer on all six films but let me warn you ANH will have grain

Of course it will, it was shot on film. Film has grain. Grain is good.

juanvasquez -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (4/5/2010 5:48:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

A lot of cereal manufacturers agree too!

Dpp1978 -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (4/5/2010 6:06:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

It is also a sweeping statement.

Star Wars (by which I mean the first film, not the saga) should, at least in most shots, be no grainier than any other film of the period. It was shot by a master cinematographer of the old school: Gilbert Taylor, who had previously worked with Kubrick, Polanski and Hitchcock. He used the "scope" format which has a larger negative area than other 35mm widescreen formats, which results in a less grainy negative image.

The only shots which had real problems were the dissolves, wipes and some lightsaber and laser blast shots. The model shots were shot using a reconditioned VistaVision camera, giving a larger negative to better survive the optical compositing process. In any case these problems were dealt with photochemically during the restoration for the 1997 Special Editions, and have subsequently been further massaged digitally.

The current HD masters, made when the DVD was produced, were sent to Lowry for additional clean up. I've seen them broadcast and believe me, grain is the least of the problems here. They were done on rapid turn around, and there are issues a plenty, but the grain is unobtrusive. Hopefully we will get a new master from good elements, and I know work has been done since 2004 from the video shown during the concert tour.

Ideally we'll get a Blade Runner style compendium for each film in its various forms, (7 by my count for Star Wars alone if you include the various audio mixes). I'm not holding my breath though.

There are plenty of films where grain will be, or already is far more of a concern on Blu ray than it will be for Star Wars; and even then it is only an issue if you make it one.

coolstar -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (4/5/2010 8:54:24 PM)

I read somewhere that before star wars could come out on dvd (2004 version) They had to clean them up it took them a month to clean all three films ANH was the worst 

vader100 -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (5/5/2010 8:26:20 AM)

A month, as Dpp said it was a rush job.

coolstar -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (22/7/2010 6:31:28 PM)

I do hope they do good extres i seen some great ESB stills on the SW website

Your Funny Uncle -> Star Wars Blu-ray Set 2011 (15/8/2010 7:12:21 AM)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4996

All six films coming in 2011!

Fit Kisto -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (15/8/2010 8:32:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

If it doesn't include the Holiday Special in 1080p and 7.1 PCM I won't buy it!

Everyone knows they're waiting for the 35th anniversary of Love Day to release that.

D-ToX -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (15/8/2010 10:57:16 AM)

Check Out theforce.net, they have a deleted scene from Return of the Jedi of Luke building his new lightsabre that was played at CV 5. This will be in the BD box set

Jedi Deleted Scene

HIM -> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! (15/8/2010 11:03:19 AM)

I don't like grain.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
4.492188E-02