CIDER! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic

Chief Wiggum -> CIDER! (14/4/2010 8:03:34 PM)

Ok I'm going to have to admit it- I fucking love Cider, and I dare anybody else to say otherwise.

For all those nay-sayers out there, I'll admit that it's got its faults, but these go by the name of white lightning, Strongbow, and new recipe Blakthorn, but you know what lets' look at Lager with the Carling and the fosters, and the castlemain XXXX (not to mention tenants super and Speshul Brew)

Now everybody will go through that phase of being 14/15 and drinking cider like it's about to run out, spending your summers days in the park on drinking the stuff and your Summer nights trying to finger a girl, failing, and puking into a bush (sometimes succeeding on the first point ends up with the same result) This inevitably leads to the late teen years where even the vague whiff of the stuff will send you into a gassy,burping and vomiting mess. and you go forth, forsaking cider as rank, disgusting, as the very drink of Beelzebub himself until that time, that magical time, when you taste that first sip of good, decent, cloudy cider and you rejoice, for what you have found is the true amber nectar and the drink of the Gods*.

Long Story Short - Cider is the drink of the Gods, discuss.

paul.mccluskey -> RE: CIDER! (14/4/2010 8:07:46 PM)

Magners FTW!

Beno -> RE: CIDER! (14/4/2010 8:31:26 PM)

JACK DANIELS .

swordsandsandals -> RE: CIDER! (14/4/2010 8:33:41 PM)

I'm a wine drinker myself.

paul.mccluskey -> RE: CIDER! (14/4/2010 8:35:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

JACK DANIELS .

Of course [:D]! Jack D and Coke, only £1.50 in a club I go to... fab!

Goodfella -> RE: CIDER! (14/4/2010 8:42:44 PM)

Yes! I love cider too. My five favourite ciders are as follows....

[image]http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Images/ExternalImages/ProductsDetailed/72/074172.jpg[/image]

Scrumpy Jack

[image]http://raysstores.com/index/images/blackthorn.jpg[/image]

Blackthorn

[image]http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Images/ExternalImages/ProductsDetailed/24/010524.jpg[/image]

Gaymer's Olde English

[image]http://cideruk.com/images/uploads/GaymersDevonCider_thumb.jpg[/image]

Gaymer's Devon Cider

[image]http://www.english-shop.de/images/Strongbow%2024%20pack.jpg[/image]

Strongbow

Some absolutely beautiful ciders down here and across the border in Somerset. Sometimes it's just pot and luck and a lot of them are local, farm-brewed so you can't find them in supermarkets. My top five is ciders I know you can buy pretty much anywhere, I'm not a massive fan of the Bulmers brand apart from Strongbow, Magners and Bulmers are too light and fluffy for me, I flirted with Kopparberg flavoured ciders for a while but my interest died, for me ciders have too be strong although not too strong, I'm not a pisshead living in the bus station [:D], and full of the apple flavour, the best ciders are usually around 5%.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: CIDER! (14/4/2010 10:02:32 PM)

Fuck off  with ya Magners and ya Strongbow. As a proud inhabitant of the West Country (even if, yes, I don't come from here) there's cider galore quite apart from the mass-produced flavourless crap. Why, not 5 minutes from my flat, there's a barge, that sells cider. And not one sort of cider - noooo, dozens of sorts. There's one sort that tastes like you're eating an apple. An honest-to-god apple. Puts all other ciders to shame. Except Old Bristolian. That has an alcohol percentage so high, they only serve it in half-pints. It's like wine. Only cider! WIN.

So yeah, cider is teh awsum.

Goodfella -> RE: CIDER! (14/4/2010 10:13:01 PM)

I hear you Homer! Plenty of brilliant local ciders avaliable down here, I tried a homemade cider last year this guy supplied to a local shop, he brewed it in an old bathtub. Yes, I discovered this after drinking the cider.

It was still pretty good though. Got me very pissed though...

sharkboy -> RE: CIDER! (15/4/2010 9:26:43 AM)

There is nothing more refreshing on a hot day than a cold pint of cider.  You can keep the gassy piss you lovingly refer to as lager, it's cider FTW every time!  I do confess a love of pear cider these days, though its hard to beat a bottle of Aspalls Dry Premier Cru when you're looking for a quick fix of your thirst problem (their draft is lovely too).

I remember well my first trip to the West Country at 17.  A couple of friends and I decided to partake of the local scrumpy so we clubbed together the £4 necessary to buy a 5 litre container (that probably previously held motor oil).  Between the three of us we necked most of the contents, occasionally choking on the odd bit of apple that still floated in it.  7 hours later I woke up in a cave off the beach at Newquay with no recollection of how I got there.  Ah, cider, the memories it stole as a child...[:D]

Hobbitonlass -> RE: CIDER! (15/4/2010 10:34:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

There is nothing more refreshing on a hot day than a cold pint of cider.  You can keep the gassy piss you lovingly refer to as lager, it's cider FTW every time! 

Agreed!

Drank cider when I was a teen and have never looked back.  Why waste money on a spirit that is gone in 2 glugs when you can savour a pint of cider [:D]

I did go through a phase of drinking

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/K_cider_US.jpg[/image]

It didn't last long as the hangovers were so horrible on this stuff that I soon went back to Strongbow [:D]

chod burger -> RE: CIDER! (15/4/2010 11:06:30 AM)

I've been drinking a cider called Rekorderlig (sp?) lately. It comes in various flavours (inc pear, apple, strawberry & lime, winter brew) and all are lovely, although the strawberry & lime is my fave. I only tried this cos someone recommended it, and I'm glad they did - give this stuff a try! oh and the winter brew one is limited edition so grab it if you still can, and it can apparently be drank warm as well, which I STILL haven't tried!

sharkboy -> RE: CIDER! (15/4/2010 12:02:25 PM)

At the Xmas Market in Belfast 2 years ago one of the vendors was offering a mulled spiced cider which was absolutely delicious.  I was bitterly disappointed that it wasn't back last christmas.  Intead I just had to make do with hot spiced apple juice with a large shot of Calvados - nice, but just not the same!

thatlittlemonkey -> RE: CIDER! (15/4/2010 12:35:49 PM)

I'll give you three names -

Aspalls

Westons

Thatchers

Beyond these, there should be no need for the Magners and Strongbows of this world (although I do partake on occasion... needs must...).  The variety and quality of these ciders is frankly brilliant.  Strongbow is cooking cider, whereas Magners is piss weak, flavour-wise (if you're looking at equivalent ciders, then I'd pick Bulmers or Gaymers everytime).

I have to say, I don't mind a Koppaberg or a Rekorderlig on a hot day as a thirst quencher. 

thatlittlemonkey -> RE: CIDER! (15/4/2010 12:38:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: chod burger

I've been drinking a cider called Rekorderlig (sp?) lately. It comes in various flavours (inc pear, apple, strawberry & lime, winter brew) and all are lovely, although the strawberry & lime is my fave. I only tried this cos someone recommended it, and I'm glad they did - give this stuff a try! oh and the winter brew one is limited edition so grab it if you still can, and it can apparently be drank warm as well, which I STILL haven't tried!

It's not bad.  I've only had the one bottle and I chose to have it warm (it being Christmas and all).  I prefer a good mulled wine, but not half bad.

One cider that I haven't tried that raised my interest is the Brothers Toffee Apple cider.  I'm a sucker for a gimmick, but I'd be buggered if I can find anywhere that stocks it.

Beno -> RE: CIDER! (15/4/2010 12:52:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

JACK DANIELS .

Of course [:D]! Jack D and Coke, only £1.50 in a club I go to... fab!

You sure ? ....... sure its not that cheapo Jim Bean crappy stuff ??

Art Vandelay -> RE: CIDER! (15/4/2010 4:18:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

There is nothing more refreshing on a hot day than a cold pint of cider.  You can keep the gassy piss you lovingly refer to as lager, it's cider FTW every time! 

Agreed!

Drank cider when I was a teen and have never looked back.  Why waste money on a spirit that is gone in 2 glugs when you can savour a pint of cider [:D]

I did go through a phase of drinking

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/K_cider_US.jpg[/image]

It didn't last long as the hangovers were so horrible on this stuff that I soon went back to Strongbow [:D]

I've been there. Brutal stuff. My local offy sells ridiculously cheap cans of Blackthorn, so that's my weapon of choice these days. A godsend during festivals also!

steflon -> RE: CIDER! (15/4/2010 4:44:41 PM)

oim a shider drinkerrrrrrr

if i have the choice it'd be Kopperberg Pear (controversial?) or cold cold magners if i dont want a sweet cider i'll go for Old Rosie

TheSpleen -> RE: CIDER! (15/4/2010 9:19:16 PM)

I'm from a lil' city famous for cider, the real stuff thats basically warm vinegar that gives you the squits for days on end. I worked in a cider factory for 2 years too, a little tip, if you pick up a bottle of cider you havn't heard of but is produced where they make your two fave ciders, odd's are it's just the leftovers of them poured into a bottle enjoy!!

clownfoot -> RE: CIDER! (15/4/2010 9:21:50 PM)

Cider = country twats.

That is all! [:D]

TheSpleen -> RE: CIDER! (15/4/2010 9:23:03 PM)

Ouch!!

Goodfella -> RE: CIDER! (15/4/2010 10:59:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Cider = country twats.

That is all! [:D]

Take that back![:D]

Chief Wiggum -> RE: CIDER! (16/4/2010 7:23:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Fuck off  with ya Magners and ya Strongbow. As a proud inhabitant of the West Country (even if, yes, I don't come from here) there's cider galore quite apart from the mass-produced flavourless crap. Why, not 5 minutes from my flat, there's a barge, that sells cider. And not one sort of cider - noooo, dozens of sorts. There's one sort that tastes like you're eating an apple. An honest-to-god apple. Puts all other ciders to shame. Except Old Bristolian. That has an alcohol percentage so high, they only serve it in half-pints. It's like wine. Only cider! WIN.

So yeah, cider is teh awsum.

No there isn't. it's gone for it's MOT and is in Dry-dock at the moment

don't worry it'll be back by the may bank holiday

Goodfella -> RE: CIDER! (16/4/2010 11:03:12 PM)

I bought a 24-pack of Strongbow today. I'm ashamed.

DAVID GILLESPIE -> RE: CIDER! (23/4/2010 7:21:45 PM)

I accidently bought a bottle of Merrydowns once and have never been able to live it down. I was told it was a chav/ ned drink.

The bottle of K brings back memories of Uni Days. Or days when I was meant to be at uni but sitting in a pub drinking K.

Always interested in an ice cold Scrumpy or Bulmers.

themightyhutch -> RE: CIDER! (24/4/2010 1:00:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: steflon

oim a shider drinkerrrrrrr

if i have the choice it'd be Kopperberg Pear (controversial?) or cold cold magners if i dont want a sweet cider i'll go for Old Rosie

That stuff is delightful. I love Cider. Favourite being Magners or Bulmers, but I'll easily have a strongbow seeing as it's cheaper.

horribleives -> RE: CIDER! (10/2/2012 10:12:29 PM)

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Old Rosie - heroin in a glass.

Goodfella -> RE: CIDER! (10/2/2012 10:13:02 PM)

Shows how shite my memory is if I can't remember posting in this thread. It's probably all that cider I've been drinking![:D]

homersimpson_esq -> RE: CIDER! (10/2/2012 10:14:12 PM)

Yup, that'll do it.

Tho, I knew there was a thread already, cos I remember posting in one... This one!

Goodfella -> RE: CIDER! (10/2/2012 10:16:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Yup, that'll do it.

Tho, I knew there was a thread already, cos I remember posting in one... This one!

Well clearly you haven't drunk enough proper cider since posting here Mr Moderator.[;)]

steflon -> RE: CIDER! (10/2/2012 10:46:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Old Rosie - heroin in a glass.

i've only found one pub in london that serves it, and sadly that pub is in Shoreditch so i've never been back

but oh my it was delicious...and bloody dangerous, three pints and i was stumbling like a Drunken Master (just without being a master of anything!)

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI