DC ANIMATED MOVIES (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films

Snake-Eyes -> DC ANIMATED MOVIES (8/4/2010 11:25:48 AM)

[image]http://media.mycomicshop.com/iss/300w/748/227481/9782041_1.jpg[/image]

In 1993, Warner Bros. Animation and DC Comics collaborated on an animated feature spawned from the successful BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES, it was entitled BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM. It failed to ignite the box-office but found an audience on home video. PHANTASM is a cracking film - a dark tale featuring a 'Year One' type origin of Bruce/Batman and of course a show-stealing performance by The Joker (voiced by Mark Hamill).

[image]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_GwT1R24rvkU/Smm49vV9VTI/AAAAAAAABhk/IfqyFeZA2No/115018__batman_l.jpg[/image]

Since then, there have been many direct-to-video (and then dvd) releases featuring DC Comics characters; some aren't quite up to scratch (SUPERMAN: BRAINIAC ATTACKS) whilst others are absolute blinders (BATMAN BEYOND: RETURN OF THE JOKER). More recently, films such as SUPERMAN / DOOMSDAY, JUSTICE LEAGUE: NEW FRONTIER, GREEN LANTERN: FIRST FLIGHT have employed different animation and storytelling styles to bring fresh new takes on classic DC stories (something the live-action versions have so far, mostly failed to accomplish). The most recent additions to this line-up are JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS and the upcoming BATMAN: UNDER THE RED HOOD. These are particularly notable as WB Animation have taken the dvd releases a step further with PIXAR-style short stories added to the mix (CRISIS has a short based on THE SPECTRE and RED HOOD will get fanboy appetites jazzed with JONAH HEX).

[image]http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/JL-CrisisOn2Earths_2DVD_f.jpg[/image]

Snake-Eyes is a HUGE fan of the DC Animated Universe series which begun with BATMAN, SUPERMAN and continued with the underrated BATMAN BEYOND and awesomely cool JUSTICE LEAGUE and so every time I snare another one of these babies on disc, it's an event...

Snake-Eyes -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (8/4/2010 12:06:39 PM)

[image]http://scifimafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/undertheredhoodwide.jpg[/image]

from BATMAN: UNDER THE RED HOOD

Rob -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (8/4/2010 1:26:03 PM)

I'm pretty impressed with the recent output from the animated DCU. Loved Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and New Frontier and thought Superman: Doomsday was pretty good. Thought the Batman one was OK but not as good as it could have been.

Really want to see the JLA: Crisis on Two Earths and Public Enemies. When is Under the Red Hood out?

anakin solo -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (8/4/2010 2:08:14 PM)

Batman of the future return of the joker has been the best one i've ever seen, next has to be the wonderwoman which was ace because nathan fillion did the voice of one of the character's and of course the fact that the action sequences were absolutely great between the amazon's and the forces of ares, i also want to see the superman/batman public enemies animated movie but not the superman doomsday one just for the fact that it's not true to the superman/doomsday story.

Snake-Eyes -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (8/4/2010 3:44:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: anakin solo

i also want to see the superman/batman public enemies animated movie

PUBLIC ENEMIES is AWESOME! Top-notch Animation, it's really fast-paced and has loads of fights with appearances by many DC heavy-hitters including CAPTAIN ATOM, STARFIRE, HAWKMAN, CAPTAIN MARVEL and a few other surprises -

[image]http://vaguerantcd.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/supreman_batman_public_enemies31.jpg[/image]

Snake-Eyes -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (8/4/2010 4:11:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob
When is Under the Red Hood out?

DC Comics has only given JUNE 2010 for the release date - I'll keep you posted.

Snake-Eyes -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (8/4/2010 4:30:56 PM)

GREEN LANTERN: FIRST FLIGHT is an outstanding adaptation. The film opens with the Abin Sur / Hal Jordan origin explained and it's straight into the action. Voice cast includes Michael Madsen as KILOWOG and an exceptional bad guy in the form of SINESTRO, voiced by Victor Garber - BADASS!

[image]http://www.majorspoilers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/sin-gl-8-650x365.jpg[/image]

ky -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (8/4/2010 8:45:56 PM)

Think I started a thread for Mask of the Phantasm a while ago. It's an absolutely cracking little film, filled with great characterisation, fantastic dialogue and a thrilling climax. The final scenes (without spoiling anything) are genuinely moving, and very mature (as is the entire film).
[image]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f89/Rabbit-man/MaskOfThePhantasm.jpg[/image]

I also have a soft spot for Tia Carrere's 'I Never Even Told You', which is a gorgeous and brave song choice to end a film like this.

This is a film which never gets old (I've seen it dozens of times since it was released on video in '93), and it just gets better and better.

I think it's a real shame that this doesn't get the recognition it deserves. The writing is easily on a par with Nolan's recent flicks, if not better.

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OJl6ATsGFco/Rg3b9rR6ccI/AAAAAAAAAxY/fHZjnl49t-c/s320/motp_pic1.jpg[/image]

(P.S. I know this ain't the place, but I've gotta tell Snake-Eyes that I watched Rambo: First Blood the other night and loved it!)

Snake-Eyes -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (8/4/2010 9:29:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ky

I also have a soft spot for Tia Carrere's 'I Never Even Told You', which is a gorgeous and brave song choice to end a film like this.

(P.S. I know this ain't the place, but I've gotta tell Snake-Eyes that I watched Rambo: First Blood the other night and loved it!)

hey ky - I kinda figured you'd make an appearance here. I like that Tia Carrere song as well - it was stuck in my head for days after my Mother passed away (don't ask me why).

(P.S. FIRST BLOOD OWNS!)

ky -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (9/4/2010 6:12:48 PM)

quote:

hey ky - I kinda figured you'd make an appearance here.

You know me well, buddy. Wherever Batman is, I'm there [:D]

quote:

I like that Tia Carrere song as well - it was stuck in my head for days after my Mother passed away (don't ask me why).

Aw man, maybe because it's about regretting not telling someone special how much they mean, which is very easy to do when 'everyday life' gets in the way.

quote:

(P.S. FIRST BLOOD OWNS!)

(P.P.S. I watched First Blood: Part 2 last night and really enjoyed it! Obviously not as deep or original as the first, but that's no big deal. Looking forward to watching 3 and 4 now [:)]

Snake-Eyes -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (9/4/2010 7:07:31 PM)

Running for five seasons from 2004 to 2008, THE BATMAN was a pretty well-done animated series which even won two Emmys. As was the case with the 'classic' 90's Animated Series, this version also produced a made-for-dvd feature - THE BATMAN vs. DRACULA.

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2f/Batman_vs._Dracula.jpg[/image]

Definitely worth checking out if you're a fan, it has a much more darker and violent tone than the series. Great voice-work by Peter Stormare (The Big Lebowski, Minority Report) as the Prince of Darkness himself.

[image]http://www.toonado.com/images/news/batman-the/batman092605.jpg[/image]

Series regular Kevin Michael Richardson also shines as The Joker, especially in his Vampiric form, going cold-turkey for Blood!

[image]http://www.the-isb.com/images/BatmanDrac05.jpg[/image]

ky -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (9/4/2010 7:17:08 PM)

quote:

Running for five seasons from 2004 to 2008, THE BATMAN was a pretty well-done animated series which even won two Emmys. As was the case with the 'classic' 90's Animated Series, this version also produced a made-for-dvd feature - THE BATMAN vs. DRACULA.

Wow, I'm surprised! I'd taken one look at that and assumed it would be a real dog. Was never a fan of The Batman, as I simply didn't like the animation style, and the drastic changes they made to the Joker. Somewhat shallow of me, I suppose, but hey [8D]

Anyone ever seen Batman meets Scooby-Doo? I spotted the video in Sainsbury's years ago and couldn't quite believe it was real [:D]

Sotto Voce -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (10/4/2010 4:51:51 AM)

Justice League: New Frontier was quite good (though pretty similar to the whole premise of Watchmen), but I wish the animation was better in these things. And that angular style that's always used is a bit crap if you ask me.

Snake-Eyes -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (10/4/2010 11:05:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce
I wish the animation was better in these things. And that angular style that's always used is a bit crap if you ask me.

Have you seen GREEN LANTERN: FIRST FLIGHT? Animation in that is beautiful. PUBLIC ENEMIES animation style is great too; it's like Ed McGuiness' artwork brought to life.

Sotto Voce -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (10/4/2010 11:38:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce
I wish the animation was better in these things. And that angular style that's always used is a bit crap if you ask me.

Have you seen GREEN LANTERN: FIRST FLIGHT? Animation in that is beautiful. PUBLIC ENEMIES animation style is great too; it's like Ed McGuiness' artwork brought to life.

Haven't seen the Green Lantern one, but the animation in the ones I've seen doesn't seem to be much better than standard TV animation. Guess that style just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it looks good in drawings but loses something in the animation. I think that can happen.

Snake-Eyes -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (11/4/2010 9:35:56 AM)

After starting this thread, I dug up MASK OF THE PHANTASM and watched again - Great Film. The Joker is absolutely MENTAL! A special edition re-release would be ideal.

HughesRoss -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (11/4/2010 11:10:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

hey ky - I kinda figured you'd make an appearance here. I like that Tia Carrere song as well - it was stuck in my head for days after my Mother passed away (don't ask me why).

(P.S. FIRST BLOOD OWNS!)

Sorry to hear that mate.........

I love Mask of Phantasm....easily one if not thee best Batman film.........It stands proud in my collection and I always mention it when other people are lavishing praise on the Nolan double

ky -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (11/4/2010 2:49:53 PM)

quote:

After starting this thread, I dug up MASK OF THE PHANTASM and watched again - Great Film. The Joker is absolutely MENTAL! A special edition re-release would be ideal.

Absolutely. A Timm/Dini/Conroy/Hamill commentary would be awesome (maybe even have the lovely Dana Delaney on there, too). Why is it that the usual slew of Pixar and Disney animations get constant re-releases with special editions, but a masterpiece like this doesn't?

Snake-Eyes -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (20/4/2010 7:48:57 PM)

Trailer for the 8th DC Original Animated Movie -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2c9MsP3OVs

Looks Cool.

[image]http://www.earthsmightiest.com/images/users/uploads/256/batmanredhood.jpg[/image]

And the 'DC Showcase' animated short is indeed JONAH HEX!

ky -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (22/4/2010 11:21:20 AM)

Does indeed look cool.

And how much of a badass does Bats look on that cover? Love the red symbol on his chest.

Might have to start watching these DC movies. The last one I bought was Gotham Knight.

Snake-Eyes -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (22/4/2010 12:42:38 PM)

quote:

Might have to start watching these DC movies. The last one I bought was Gotham Knight.

Seriously ky, they just get better and better. you MUST check out GREEN LANTERN: FIRST FLIGHT, it ROCKS! Crisp animation and an awesome storyline. Next year's live-action Martin Campbell / Ryan Reynolds effort can only dream to be as good.

ky -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (23/4/2010 1:52:34 PM)

Cool, might give them a go at some point then. Still need to get the complete Batman: TAS dvd set, too [&:]

Snake-Eyes -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (23/4/2010 7:21:43 PM)

quote:

Cool, might give them a go at some point then. Still need to get the complete Batman: TAS dvd set, too [&:]

[image]http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/311/208466311.jpg[/image]

Is this the one you mean? I'm tempted but I already have all of the complete season R1 sets.

Zaphod121 -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (23/4/2010 10:37:48 PM)

Out of the new ones that I've seen i think Wonder Woman is the best, but Mask of the Phantasm still rules the roost for me, absolutely cracking film.

Snake-Eyes -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (24/4/2010 8:30:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Out of the new ones that I've seen i think Wonder Woman is the best, but Mask of the Phantasm still rules the roost for me, absolutely cracking film.

Absolutely - it's a true classic. I'm still hoping that we'll see a special edition dvd / blu-ray someday with decent extras. I ordered this yesterday -

[image]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2kjisMm3M9Y/Sdj_YMKDPVI/AAAAAAAAIW0/FBcNQr9coMI/s400/Mask+Of+The+Phantasm+Batman+CD+1.jpg[/image]

Frank Castle -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (24/4/2010 7:10:28 PM)

Mask of the phantasm is the best one, followed by justice league the new frontier which i thought was fantastic!

wonder woman was ok but never really been a fan of the character think people are over rating it because of a certain mr fillion. public enemies was pretty good but i really didnt like crisis on two earths it sucked.

That under the red hood looks awesome!

ky -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (25/4/2010 5:33:50 PM)

quote:

Is this the one you mean? I'm tempted but I already have all of the complete season R1 sets

Bloody hell! That's not the one I meant, but it looks amazing! [:)]

I think you should buy it for me, Snake. You're collection's mighty enough as it is [:D]

darth silas -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (25/4/2010 8:08:39 PM)

I must really check out some of these DC animated titles.Thanks for bringing them to my attention Snake.

davidjthomson -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (25/4/2010 8:50:13 PM)

It's just a shame that a lot of the animated DC titles are Region 1 only - I think they've overlooked a potential market.

I've been a DC comic fan for many years and my 6 year old is already following that also. She particularly enjoys Justice League, but only about half a dozen dvds have been released in the UK.

I bought her Wonder Woman and I was very surprised how dark it is in tone - a brave stance, but it pays off.

I've liked most of the Batman titles but absolutely detest the latest, Brave and the Bold. Purile.

I'm hoping that Green Lantern will make it to region 2.

Snake-Eyes -> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES (26/4/2010 7:51:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: davidjthomson

I've liked most of the Batman titles but absolutely detest the latest, Brave and the Bold. Purile.

Agreed. BRAVE & THE BOLD as an idea, sounded awesome - I thought WB were gonna stick with the Animation style of 'THE BATMAN' and team-up the Rino Romano Bruce Wayne with DC Heroes but I can't stand this version, really dumbed down.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI