The 50 Worst Movies Ever (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online

Empire Admin -> The 50 Worst Movies Ever (29/1/2010 2:26:45 PM)

Post your comments on this article

KeithM -> RE: One of the 50 worst lists ever (29/1/2010 3:45:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: D_DuMas

I can think of far worse films to go on that list.

But just for the crack, Blade 3, which wasn't bad, Transformers 2 which wasn't bad. Yet where is Xmen 3 and Superman Returns which were horrendously bad.

In fact Superman Returns getting a 5 stars from empire is precisly the reason (and the point in time from when) I no longer trust Empire reviews.

Agreed.  I kept expecting Superman Returns to appear on the list, even got quite 'excited' when it didn't come up early, thinking that it would be quite high and that finally the veil had been lifted from everyone's eyes and they could see it for the utter tripe it was... but no.  Disappointing.

And no Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crock of Shit (sorry, Crystal Skull - easy mistake) either?  This movie makes Transformers 2 look like a masterpiece of modern cinema.  Toe-curlingly bad and yet another film reviewed with a blindfold and earplugs by Empire (and not at all influenced by Spielberg's upcoming guest editorship of course).

Agree with many of the films being on the list, but the above are glaring omissions.

KeithM -> RE: (29/1/2010 4:01:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

I'm surprised that Revolver didn't make the cut... it was (somehow) even worse than Swept Away.

To all those saying that Superman Returns should be on here - look, it wasn't great. Everyone (except for Empire) is aware of that. It's a 3 star film. To say it's one of the 50 worse films ever is just ridiculous. It's well shot, great effects and the cast is solid. The problem is that the script is a re-hash of Superman 1. The plane rescue on it's own instantly prevents it from being in this list because there is without a doubt 50 films worse that it that don't have anything close to that.

The film was well shot, I'll give it that.  However, the script was utterly dreadful, the characterisations so painfully off (Superman leaving Earth without a word, Lois writing a smear piece when she can only assume that he's dead, Lex making yet another poorly thought out land-grab, Kryptonite not being poisonous, deadly and debilitating, but overcome by a mere 'act of will', the kid, the dour, miserable tone of the film, the stalking, the camp throwbacks goons and gangster 'moll', the miscasting - I could go on and on - and have - believe me).  One good plane-saving action scene does NOT lift this above any of the dross on the rest of the list - in fact the potential shown in that scene precisely highlights why the rest of the film sucked so badly in comparison.

The movie portrayed Superman so badly, so wrongly, that all other considerations aside (and there are many), that alone 'elevates' it into fetid stinkhood.  Easily one of the worst movies ever, not because it was particularly badly made, but because it took such an enormous budget, such a difficult-to-fuck-up character, such a massively potentially exciting milieu and yet still managed to let us down in every possible way.  Lacking in any intelligence, any emotional depth (the very things which 'fans' say it has in spades - what? Where!?), sympathy for the characters and worst of all, any excitement whatsoever.

Hey, people are entitled to like bad movies, but please, make no mistake, Superman Returns was a bad, bad movie.

jmebaby25 -> RE: (29/1/2010 4:45:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: D.J

One film i really hated was Serenity, though sadly, whenever i tell anyone that i usually end up getting a verbal kicking.

Your friends are right to kick you (verbally that is).

:p

horribleives -> RE: (29/1/2010 7:33:51 PM)

Why didn't Empire put a snippet up from their own Batman And Robin review? Oh, right, that would be 'cos you gave it three stars.

plum bob -> Hmm a 50/50 list (29/1/2010 8:50:54 PM)

TOTALLY agree with some of the entries on the list - the top 10 while proberbly not the worst film of all time that the list says they are, are all absolutly shite movies. However, this list also contains some complete crap that undermines the whole thing: - Transformers 2 - Not a gr8 film, but entertaining, good fun and amazing special effects. - Spiderman 3 - yeh a dissapointment considering how class the first 2 were but still a good action film. Discount the last 20 minutes and you might say it comes close to being as good as the original! - Scary Movie - In bad taste but funny, how the original gets in but the awful 3rd and 4th one does is completely beyond me. Apart from that, this is a fairly good list and it does bring to light some of the biggest travisties in Hollywood. (as a side note, it is hilerious how Empire rated qite a few of these "worst films ever made with 3* Maybe you should write your own list Empire and be honest!)

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Where's Avatar? (29/1/2010 9:15:58 PM)

I don't agree that Spider-man 3 and Blade Trinity are two of the worst films ever made.  Out of all the films ever made.  The list is kinda pointless.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: (29/1/2010 9:18:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: D.J

Transformers was no masterpiece, but it was still an enjoyable slice of nonsense pie.

It should have been replaced with Casshern, now that film really was shit.

You like Transformers and hate Superman Returns and Serenity.  Where's your taste man?

theoriginalcynic -> RE: One of the 50 worst lists ever (29/1/2010 9:21:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: D_DuMas

I can think of far worse films to go on that list.

But just for the crack, Blade 3, which wasn't bad, Transformers 2 which wasn't bad. Yet where is Xmen 3 and Superman Returns which were horrendously bad.

In fact Superman Returns getting a 5 stars from empire is precisly the reason (and the point in time from when) I no longer trust Empire reviews.

Agreed.  I kept expecting Superman Returns to appear on the list, even got quite 'excited' when it didn't come up early, thinking that it would be quite high and that finally the veil had been lifted from everyone's eyes and they could see it for the utter tripe it was... but no.  Disappointing.

And no Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crock of Shit (sorry, Crystal Skull - easy mistake) either?  This movie makes Transformers 2 look like a masterpiece of modern cinema.  Toe-curlingly bad and yet another film reviewed with a blindfold and earplugs by Empire (and not at all influenced by Spielberg's upcoming guest editorship of course).

Agree with many of the films being on the list, but the above are glaring omissions.

No way, was Indiana Jones worse then Transformers 2.  I can't believe anyone would think that. 

theoriginalcynic -> RE: RE: (29/1/2010 9:23:47 PM)

quote:

quote:

I'm surprised that Revolver didn't make the cut... it was (somehow) even worse than Swept Away.

To all those saying that Superman Returns should be on here - look, it wasn't great. Everyone (except for Empire) is aware of that. It's a 3 star film. To say it's one of the 50 worse films ever is just ridiculous. It's well shot, great effects and the cast is solid. The problem is that the script is a re-hash of Superman 1. The plane rescue on it's own instantly prevents it from being in this list because there is without a doubt 50 films worse that it that don't have anything close to that.

The film was well shot, I'll give it that.  However, the script was utterly dreadful, the characterisations so painfully off (Superman leaving Earth without a word, Lois writing a smear piece when she can only assume that he's dead, Lex making yet another poorly thought out land-grab, Kryptonite not being poisonous, deadly and debilitating, but overcome by a mere 'act of will', the kid, the dour, miserable tone of the film, the stalking, the camp throwbacks goons and gangster 'moll', the miscasting - I could go on and on - and have - believe me).  One good plane-saving action scene does NOT lift this above any of the dross on the rest of the list - in fact the potential shown in that scene precisely highlights why the rest of the film sucked so badly in comparison.

The movie portrayed Superman so badly, so wrongly, that all other considerations aside (and there are many), that alone 'elevates' it into fetid stinkhood.  Easily one of the worst movies ever, not because it was particularly badly made, but because it took such an enormous budget, such a difficult-to-fuck-up character, such a massively potentially exciting milieu and yet still managed to let us down in every possible way.  Lacking in any intelligence, any emotional depth (the very things which 'fans' say it has in spades - what? Where!?), sympathy for the characters and worst of all, any excitement whatsoever.

Hey, people are entitled to like bad movies, but please, make no mistake, Superman Returns was a bad, bad movie.

No Superman Returns was a three - five star movie depending on who you believe.  I'd rate it four stars because it does have it's faults.

Marcus Brody -> RE: (29/1/2010 10:29:33 PM)

The list seems to have disappeared.

And now it's back!

horribleives -> RE: D.J. The Dumbass. (30/1/2010 8:51:28 AM)

Anyone else see the inherent irony in people bemoaning how young the average Empire reader is then going on to whine like a spoilt teenager about a bloody list?

D_DuMas -> RE: RE: (30/1/2010 12:43:56 PM)

quote:

quote:

I completely agree with everything you said about Superman Returns. But the point is that this is a bad list, even the concept of the list is bad. Firstly there are far more bad movies than good, look at the hundreds of low budget horror tat out there. To create a list of the worst anything is just tedious and boring. I'd rather have a list of the most "disappointing" movies, which is completely different and a far more enjoyable argument.

My point was, while empire where throwing any old film on the list to make it interesting, there was equally bad or worse omissions.

I chose Blade 3, Transformers 2 against Xmen 3 and Supermen Returns, because they are in the same category (and it bothers me lol). Blade 3, while not as good as the first or second and quite forgettable, wasn't bad and nowhere near the worst films. Transformer 2 seems to be a marmite film, you either like it or don't, I do. I liked both Transformer films. Especially the 2nd on the Odeon iMax screen.

Yet Xmen 3, which was written so badly essentially ruining any possibility of more Xmen movies continuing these, because half the Xmen universe is now dead.

Superman Returns, one big Brian Singer indulgence with its only enjoyable point right at the beginning of the film. It could have been a great story from the comics with villains from the comics, they had the budget and the technology. But in this he battles ultimately a kryptonite mountain. Oh and has a son with lois...

Personally i'm not sure what i'd add to my worst of list because when something is that bad I tend to forget about it or at least try to, I can barely remember the average movies I thought were ok. I can remember the movies that I have found disappointing and could try to list those though (Superman Returns and Xmen 3 would feature quite highly on them).

Future Player -> RE: Where's Avatar? (30/1/2010 4:33:17 PM)

I totally agree. Dances with wolves in space with giant blue cats.
quote:

ORIGINAL: SpiderBat

well, where is it?

darth silas -> RE: (31/1/2010 1:25:10 AM)

No Pearl Harbour,Pirates of the caribbean,or LOTR on the list? Shocking.At least people had the good sense to put a Transformers movie in there.

Kurai -> RE: 50 Worst Movies Ever (31/1/2010 10:47:34 AM)

I'm sure that many of these movies in here are pretty crappy, but however, I think a few films missed out:

*Thunderbirds (2004)

THIS was a terrible movie! Whyever it isn't on the list is beyond me. Prehaps noone bothered to see it.....

*HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL

Man, I don't know if I hate any movie MORE then I hated this movie! Again, prehaps noone actually saw it. I admit, I saw half of it, then turned it off. It was that bad!

Dr Lenera -> RE: 50 Worst Movies Ever (31/1/2010 11:58:15 AM)

What a bizarre and narrowly focused list. Only one film before 1980. Raise The Titanic, yeah a disappointment and a flop but the fourth worst film OF ALL TIME? WTF? Heaven's Gate, which despite being a huge flop is regarded my many critics as being very good in it's four hour version, is NO. SIX! Do people really think that? If they do then they haven't seen many films. Just wierd, plain wierd.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: (31/1/2010 12:44:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Axman58

How come Batman & Robin got nipples but Batgirl didn't?

They did give her suit nipples.  That was one of the talking points, that Joel felt like he had to if he was gonna give Batman and Robin them.  There's some seriously dumb comments on this thread (not just yours, but in general)

Judge -> RE: Scientology (31/1/2010 6:05:24 PM)

Naff list. There is noone in the world who would rather watch Disaster/Epic/Date/Scary Movie, The Hottie and the Nottie, Fat Slags, Meet Thr Spartans etc than Batman and Robin. Camp? Yes. Crap? Yes. Worst movie ever made? No.

Future Player -> RE: (31/1/2010 8:34:23 PM)

Sweet Jesus indeed. The film isn't as bad as people say, but it deserves to be on this list for that scene alone. Thank God Rami has been fucked off, with any luck the new director turns out to be the next Nolan.

elab49 -> RE: Lifeforce anyone? (31/1/2010 9:56:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dazzler1967

Why did I not listen to Barry Norman's review on Film 85?
When you hear, written by Dan O'Bannon, directed by Tobe Hooper, filled with space vampires and the gorgeous Mathilda May, what else would an 18 year old guy want to see in a film?
Even Frank Finlay looked like he was reading his script most of the time and couldn't believe what he was saying. If I was ever going to walk out of a film, I should have done it with that. "Plan 9 From Outer Space" is a work of genius in comparison.

I'm given to understand her general nakedness gives it a by in the worst films department [:D]

leecoop -> I can't have been the only one... (1/2/2010 1:39:05 AM)

I still maintain that my 3 votes for the only movie I have ever walked out of (as a discerning 14 year old), 'Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot' should have at the very least made the list, if not topped it...Some of you lucky people out there have clearly not been subjected to seeing truly appaling film making.

way5ide -> RE: The 50 Worst Movies Ever (1/2/2010 10:39:44 AM)

Seriously, where is Kenneth Branagh's Frankenstein - the funniest film I've seen in the cinema. I was laughing so hard I was asked to leave.

Leonard Pine -> RE: The 50 Worst Movies Ever (1/2/2010 11:15:34 AM)

Matrix Revolutions?????!! You gotta be kidding me! Betterthan BOTH Transformers movies, hell, better than ANYTHING Michael Bay has ever done!! Where are all the Emerich movies? Michael Winner movies? Where was Wanted?!!!!!

BudBaxter -> RE: The 50 Worst Movies Ever (1/2/2010 11:40:01 AM)

where's the feature gone?

I click on the link & get:

Page Not Found

We're sorry the requested page could not be found or is no longer available.

[8|]

Edit: Found it, but the link still doesn't work at the top of this thread.

Looks like none of my 3 votes counted:

3. Meet the Parents (the least funnny 'comedy' ever made. There's not ONE scene in the entire film that makes you think Teri Polo even likes Stiller, let alone loves him. & why would you go through all that shit for some like that?)
2. Octane. Seriously, watch it. It's one of the most incoherent films ever made.
1. Soul Survivors: The Killer Cut. As above, plus it has the added insult of having Eliza Dushku take a shower with another girl WHILE THEY'RE BOTH FULLY CLOTHED!

Sphinx -> RE: Very Controversial Top 50 -- What shouldn't be in it (2/2/2010 5:57:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dansator

This list is controversial, and I expect a lot of people are annoyed to see films they love in the list. Some films received votes not because they're "bad", but because they're "less good" than their predecessors. The best examples are "Spider-Man 3" and "The Matrix: Revolutions", both great films in their own right, but they fail to live up to the films that went before them. Even "Batman and Robin" has its merits.
Errr, no it doesn't![:D][;)]

Taizy -> RE: (2/2/2010 7:14:06 PM)

Where was LOST IN SPACE??? Admittedly I should have actually taken part in this poll and wouldn't want anyone else to have been subjected to this overblown, shonky and not even so-bad-it's-good acting/dialogue/special effects so I can only hope that it has either been blocked out by those who watched it or just wasn't seen ( a wise option).

And thankyou Empire for also thinking "What was Thandie Newton doing in 'Norbit'?"

BudBaxter -> RE: Very Controversial Top 50 -- What shouldn't be in it (3/2/2010 11:36:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

quote:

This list is controversial, and I expect a lot of people are annoyed to see films they love in the list. Some films received votes not because they're "bad", but because they're "less good" than their predecessors. The best examples are "Spider-Man 3" and "The Matrix: Revolutions", both great films in their own right, but they fail to live up to the films that went before them. Even "Batman and Robin" has its merits.
Errr, no it doesn't![:D][;)]

Of the first 4 Batman flicks, it's the only one that gets the ending right. Batman doesn't kill the bad guys, he just locks them up in Arkham.

That, & Elliot Goldenthal's score are the only merits of Batman & Robin. Other than that, it's a pile of ****

jmebaby25 -> RE: Very Controversial Top 50 -- What shouldn't be in it (3/2/2010 1:06:17 PM)

quote:

The best examples are "Spider-Man 3" and "The Matrix: Revolutions", both great films in their own right, but they fail to live up to the films that went before them. Even "Batman and Robin" has its merits.

You know what? I used to believe that everyone was entitled to their own opinion. I used to believe in the necessity of free speech.

That was until you called Spider-Man 3 a great film.

Now I don't know what to think anymore. I weep for the future. I think I'm just gonna live in my underground bunker, surrounded by canned produce and sharpening my sword waiting for the apocalypse.

livila -> RE: (3/2/2010 2:09:47 PM)

Heaven's Gate at number 6? I'm surprised that a) so many people have watched it and b) it got so much vitriol.
I really like it, it's way too loooong in places, but the acting is fine and you do actually care about the people and the situation. I guess it's too slow for today's audiences. But 6th worst film ever? Eh, no. Superbabies 2: Baby Geniuses and Karate Dog should be there.

I haven't clicked through most of the list as it's taking an age to load each page. Plus the link at the top of this thread takes you to "page not found".

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI