The Avengers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films

lukeyboy -> The Avengers (27/1/2010 12:59:44 PM)

Apologies if there is already an Avengers thread, but I couldn't find it for the life of me!

Anyway, just seen this update from Kevin Feige over on Superherohype which has some interesting tid-bits on The Avengers and also other possible Marvel projects.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/thornews.php?id=9019

Concentrating on The Avengers though - I wasn't entirely sure of what to make of his comment with regards to which characters would appear in The Avengers......

"It's three people - four including the Hulk; five including Nick Fury - who you've seen before in other movies, coming together for the very first time."

Is he referring to Nick Fury as the one you've seen before in other movies or is he reffering to all five of the characters mentioned? If he is just referring to Fury - that would indicate (to me at least) that these will be the only core characters in The Avengers - no Hank Pym, Wasp or Hawkeye (a part which Jeremy Renner has of course been quite solidly attached to recently).

A good thing or a bad thing? Overload with characters or keep it trim?

Thoughts people!![:)]

JIm R -> RE: The Avengers (27/1/2010 1:50:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lukeyboy

Apologies if there is already an Avengers thread, but I couldn't find it for the life of me!

Anyway, just seen this update from Kevin Feige over on Superherohype which has some interesting tid-bits on The Avengers and also other possible Marvel projects.

Concentrating on The Avengers though - I wasn't entirely sure of what to make of his comment with regards to which characters would appear in The Avengers......

"It's three people - four including the Hulk; five including Nick Fury - who you've seen before in other movies, coming together for the very first time."

Is he referring to Nick Fury as the one you've seen before in other movies or is he reffering to all five of the characters mentioned? If he is just referring to Fury - that would indicate (to me at least) that these will be the only core characters in The Avengers - no Hank Pym, Wasp or Hawkeye (a part which Jeremy Renner has of course been quite solidly attached to recently).

Mr Feige is bluffing me thinks, there will be characters not mentioned who are in it so as to a) not give everything away and b) so joe public doesn't get swamped by unknown characters and puts them off from seeing a massive ensemble piece which they would have to invest too much time in researching on prior to seeing it.

Example being, friends of mine who hadn't read Watchmen prior to seeing the film just could not engage fully with it, something Marvel are keeping tabs on I'm sure, the general public will struggle with Thor to begin with, nevermind more Hulk, Hawkeye, Wasp et al, personally I would love Vision to be in the film.

As long as they manage to engage a story and keep the feel of Iron Man, this will rock, Marvel are finally taking things seriously.

spark1 -> RE: The Avengers (27/1/2010 2:02:47 PM)

an interview in this month's sfx has mr feige say 'the avengers' will b made up of characters who have being established in solo movies from 08/12, starting with 'iron man', in the run up to its release.

lukeyboy -> RE: The Avengers (27/1/2010 2:13:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

Mr Feige is bluffing me thinks, there will be characters not mentioned who are in it so as to a) not give everything away and b) so joe public doesn't get swamped by unknown characters and puts them off from seeing a massive ensemble piece which they would have to invest too much time in researching on prior to seeing it.

Example being, friends of mine who hadn't read Watchmen prior to seeing the film just could not engage fully with it, something Marvel are keeping tabs on I'm sure, the general public will struggle with Thor to begin with, nevermind more Hulk, Hawkeye, Wasp et al, personally I would love Vision to be in the film.

As long as they manage to engage a story and keep the feel of Iron Man, this will rock, Marvel are finally taking things seriously.

I agree with both points. They have to keep it fast and fun with a healthy dose of realism* (like Iron Man) for it to appeal to the masses, i.e: the more crazy characters they have, the harder it will be for people to relate to it - and we have to remember that we don't know who the villain(s) are yet![:@]

Vision would be good though - they could use a bit of artistic licence there and instead of having the red and green alien we know from the comics they could have Vison as some sort of supercomputer (similar to Iron Man's Jarvis). - Apologies if you're a fan of the red and green alien thing![:D]

*Realism meant in the loosest possible way!!

JIm R -> RE: The Avengers (27/1/2010 2:59:45 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with both points. They have to keep it fast and fun with a healthy dose of realism* (like Iron Man) for it to appeal to the masses, i.e: the more crazy characters they have, the harder it will be for people to relate to it - and we have to remember that we don't know who the villain(s) are yet![:@]

Vision would be good though - they could use a bit of artistic licence there and instead of having the red and green alien we know from the comics they could have Vison as some sort of supercomputer (similar to Iron Man's Jarvis). - Apologies if you're a fan of the red and green alien thing![:D]

*Realism meant in the loosest possible way!!

Luke, what are you doing to me !!!! [:D] Comic version or nothing, thanks very much [;)]

Marwood -> RE: The Avengers (27/1/2010 6:33:52 PM)

Crud, just put a post up in future marvel films about Feige's comments then spotted this thread again. Shite.

Ah well, just to reiterate the latest on Renner is that he won't be playing Hawkeye (for now) so I wonder if the character is being saved for another film down the line. Plus I suspect Ant Man and Wasp will cameo in Avengers and Edgar Wright's Ant Man could be a spin-off for them (although I don't know if that means retooling his original ideas a bit to fit the idea).

Like the idea of Vision popping up later but I agree he needs to be changed a wee bit to fit with the universe Iron Man and Hulk have set up, then again I suppose it depends how far Marvel will go with Thor as a more "out there" screen character.

lukeyboy -> RE: The Avengers (28/1/2010 11:49:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

Crud, just put a post up in future marvel films about Feige's comments then spotted this thread again. Shite.

Ah well, just to reiterate the latest on Renner is that he won't be playing Hawkeye (for now) so I wonder if the character is being saved for another film down the line. Plus I suspect Ant Man and Wasp will cameo in Avengers and Edgar Wright's Ant Man could be a spin-off for them (although I don't know if that means retooling his original ideas a bit to fit the idea).

Like the idea of Vision popping up later but I agree he needs to be changed a wee bit to fit with the universe Iron Man and Hulk have set up, then again I suppose it depends how far Marvel will go with Thor as a more "out there" screen character.

Well that's a bit of a bummer - no Renner for Hawkeye? Where did you get this info Marwood - is it a reliable source?
I do hope Ant-Man, Wasp and Hawkeye are in The Avengers, because along with Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Nick Fury and The Hulk - they ARE The Avengers - end of! Other characters like Black Knight, Hercules, The Scarlet Witch, Starfox etc we can clearly do without (because their crap), but if your gonna do The Avengers movie you've gotta have the afore mentioned core group!

With The Vision, they could base it on the new Ultimate Vision comic (first seen in the Ultimate Galactus series) - where it was unearthed by the Avengers and the X-Men after having received a distress signal and subsequently found to to be an alien supercomputer that was sent  to warn the Earth about the arrival of Galactus. That could be a good idea for The Avengers movie - although I'm not sure about the part where it rebuilds itself into a big-titted golden Angelina Jolie-esque woman though!.......

spark1 -> RE: The Avengers (28/1/2010 1:29:58 PM)

its gonna b cap, stark, thor and banner with fury and SHIELD on back up.

Marwood -> RE: The Avengers (28/1/2010 2:22:39 PM)

Well Lukeyboy I can't remember off the top of my head, my other daily film news sites are Aintitcool, Total Film (sorry), IGN Movies and Latino Review. I'm sure I read Renner is Not Hawkeye at IGN or Total Film. I'm pretty sure that in the item he said something like "We talked about it but it won't be me" and he also added that he would like to see the costume used in The Ultimates 1 & 2 rather than the classic one.
If memory serves correct the item popped up a week or two after his comments about discussing the character with Marvel came out. I would guess there was more of time delay between his meeting with them and the decision (from him or them) that it wasn't going to happen. That's about all I remember anyway. Thorough aren't I [:D]

I like your idea of Ultimate Vision (agree not the Metropolis woman design though) being inspiration for the screen one, if Avengers opens the door to extra-terristrial threats in the cinematic Marvel U then having Vision involved there somehow could be interesting.

I also think Spark's got it right with how the team will operate. I think the hints in the films so far and Zack Penn/Feige stating The Ultimates is being used as a template alludes to the idea of Iron Man, Cap and Thor essentially being metahuman Shield agents with Fury providing their intel and being their wrangler so to speak. I still think Hulk's involvement will be a case of the trio being tasked by Fury to capture him early on (their first team mission?) and later in the film he helps them out against whatever the larger threat is.
Kind of makes sense considering Bruce is still on the run at the end of Incredible Hulk and we won't see a Hulk sequel before The Avengers is released.

Plus to me the Tony Stark/Ross meeting at the end of TIH felt like Tony was approaching him about help to capture Hulk. Actually I wonder if that means TIH is chronologically set after Iron Man 2? The leaked trailer featuring Fury from Comic Con indicated Tony wasn't working with him but Fury was pestering him about joining (as Tony puts it) "that superhero boyband".

lukeyboy -> RE: The Avengers (28/1/2010 5:39:06 PM)

quote:

Plus to me the Tony Stark/Ross meeting at the end of TIH felt like Tony was approaching him about help to capture Hulk. Actually I wonder if that means TIH is chronologically set after Iron Man 2? The leaked trailer featuring Fury from Comic Con indicated Tony wasn't working with him but Fury was pestering him about joining (as Tony puts it) "that superhero boyband".

Oooh,....i haven't seen that so i couldn't comment - where can i see that trailer?

I wouldnt've thought they would set Iron Man 2 before The Incredible Hulk though - that would just confuse the issue and be frankly, quite dumb!

Snake-Eyes -> RE: The Avengers (28/1/2010 7:54:05 PM)

[image]http://www.comicsbulletin.com/news/images/0810/avengers-movie.jpg[/image]

Such a group of powerful heroes DEMANDS an equally awesome set of foes to tackle. I WANT PROPA BATTLES in THE AVENGERS!

Marwood -> RE: The Avengers (28/1/2010 8:08:30 PM)

quote:

quote:

Oooh,....i haven't seen that so i couldn't comment - where can i see that trailer?

I wouldnt've thought they would set Iron Man 2 before The Incredible Hulk though - that would just confuse the issue and be frankly, quite dumb!

You'll have to hunt it down on Youtube, that's where I saw it but the quality isn't very good (seeing as it was off someone's camera/phone). Most of the footage was in the most recent official trailer anyway but polished up (such as Whiplash at the race track and War Machine shooting everything in sight). If you find it though watch the Fury/Tony discussion in the diner which I mentioned above and you'll understand where I was coming from with the chronology question.

Overmind -> RE: The Avengers (29/1/2010 11:38:47 PM)

the three:
Thor, Iron -man, Cap Am:

The rest:
Hulk and The shield dudes.

We

lukeyboy -> RE: The Avengers (2/2/2010 10:25:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Overmind

the three:
Thor, Iron -man, Cap Am:

The rest:
Hulk and The shield dudes.

We

I think for The Avengers we need all of the above plus Hank Pym, The Wasp and Hawkeye - and my opinion on this shall not be swayed![:D] I guess the "Shield Dudes" could include Hawkeye if we're lucky - if the Ultimates is the template!!

Beno -> RE: The Avengers (2/2/2010 10:45:51 AM)

I doubt they will go all out with loads of characters . There just wouldnt be the time in a two hour/ two and a half hour movie . Plus , past experience has shown - X Men 3 and Spidey 3 - too many heroes/villains spoil the broth .

Marwood -> RE: The Avengers (2/2/2010 11:32:14 AM)

I agree that keeping the team small is the way to go for a first team-up film, plus the genius angle Marvel have here is that by the time the film is released audiences have already gotten to know the characters well enough through their solo films (and Fury cameoing to at least set things up). It means hopefully the film can spend time developing their relationship as a team without a lot of exposition concerning their individual histories (unless integral to the story of course). Plus this way it means balls to the wall action start to finish if that's the angle they want to play.

On the flipside though because the characters will be well established in their own films that could mean that Marvel has the space to introduce new characters and flesh them out well enough because they don't have to explain who "the big 3" are on top of that. That's definitely something X-Men 3 struggled with: loads of new characters with little to no real reason for being there or ever feeling like actual characters - they were largely just cyphers and thrown in for some more action & effects.
But because the main characters from the previous films also required some real screen time the new characters didn't have a chance. Halle Berry's constant pissing and moaning about "nothing to do" in X1 & 2 meant a more interesting character played by a far better actor (Kelsey Grammar as Beast for instance) ended up barely making an impression because Storm was front and centre as much as possible.

I am hoping for appearances by The Pyms, Hawkeye, Black Widow and War Machine myself (now that would be a great team alongside Cap, Thor, Iron Man and Hulk one day) but think we're still more likely to be treated to cameos. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Scarlet Johansson and Don Cheadle's contracts include mulitple appearances (ala Sam Jackson) as the characters so if it's true and can be worked out then maybe we'll get to see them chilling with Nick Fury at the end of The Avengers with him talking about "a few more members on the team". One day.

Marwood -> RE: The Avengers (4/2/2010 11:38:56 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

You'll have to hunt it down on Youtube, that's where I saw it but the quality isn't very good (seeing as it was off someone's camera/phone). Most of the footage was in the most recent official trailer anyway but polished up (such as Whiplash at the race track and War Machine shooting everything in sight). If you find it though watch the Fury/Tony discussion in the diner which I mentioned above and you'll understand where I was coming from with the chronology question.

...and now Jon Favreau has teased that is actually the case per the Empire story so if it's all accurate then I firmly believe Avengers will feature the big 3 tracking down and capturing Hulk for Fury at some point, maybe even the opening of the film.

JIm R -> RE: The Avengers (3/3/2010 11:36:00 AM)

There are reports from comicbook movies website that a 1st draft has been written....

mmmm....[sm=33.gif]

adambatman82 -> RE: The Avengers (3/3/2010 11:41:20 AM)

quote:

There are reports from comicbook movies website that a 1st draft has been written....

mmmm....[sm=33.gif]

Yep, Joe Quesada tweeted so this morn.

JIm R -> RE: The Avengers (3/3/2010 11:49:31 AM)

Hope to god, given Captain America's plight at the moment with rumours of major problems on set everywhere that the big one does not get shelved, you can't have an Avengers film without a decent stab at Captain America first.

Beno -> RE: The Avengers (3/3/2010 1:54:31 PM)

[image]http://www.heroesandmonsters.com/images/AVENGERS4Ross.jpg[/image]

You just gotta get this lot on the big screen ......... nuff said

lukeyboy -> RE: The Avengers (3/3/2010 2:09:48 PM)

quote:

Hope to god, given Captain America's plight at the moment with rumours of major problems on set everywhere that the big one does not get shelved, you can't have an Avengers film without a decent stab at Captain America first.

Yes, this is worrying indeed! What the fuck is going on with Cap anyways??

Marwood -> RE: The Avengers (3/3/2010 2:40:01 PM)

The rumoured Cap movie problems seem to be budget related.

Apparently the salary for the lead is lower than expected considering the contract will include numerous appearances in other Marvel films (similar to the Don Cheadle/Johansson contracts). However some info states the actual fee for each appearance is separate so Cap will get something for that film and be obliged to appear in more films receiving another fee for each subsequent appearance. I think.

The above may be a reason why casting Cap seems to have been a long process - possibly the search is on for the right affordable man for the job.

Also the latest rumours are saying that Johnson and Marvel have been having production budget disputes to the point that Johnson may walk or be fired. Either is bad because it will delay filming and casting.

However this is all largely speculative so I'm sure there's been a lot of flame fanning from some sources to make more of a deal about it. Probably Warners & DC [:D]

Marwood -> RE: The Avengers (21/3/2010 8:10:08 PM)

Aintitcoolnews is running a story about who is in the running to direct the film:

The Incredible Hulk's Louis Leterrier!

I liked his Hulk film and would hope that if he does get the gig he'll be able to talk Edward Norton into coming on board, Norton's made recent comments (see Latino Review's story from last week) that he'd like to do another film and seems to have gotten over any bad blood with Marvel at least. However I think Clash of The Titans will really show if Louis can handle a big fantasy piece with an ensemble cast so if he does get the gig hopefully Clash will demonstrate why.

I'd still like to see John Favreau take it on personally seeing as how he's done a great job on Iron Man and (hopefully) Iron Man 2; however he is exec producing and actively working with Marvel to develop it so at least he's got a hand in.

Wonder who else is on the list? AICN speculates that other "Marvel" directors are and I guess they could be right; however I suppose until Thor and Captain America come out (providing the latter's leading man is ever cast anyway) it's anyone's guess as to how Ken or Joe handle the Marvel Screen Universe.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: The Avengers (24/3/2010 8:04:19 PM)

I'd love to see District 9's Neill Blomkamp take on this project - Letterrier's Hulk effort left me a little cold.

Snake-Eyes -> RE: The Avengers (24/3/2010 9:19:26 PM)

Louis Letterier is the perfect director for THE AVENGERS - from what I've seen of CLASH OF THE TITANS, his knack for directing BIG action sequences just keeps improving. I hope he gets the gig.

Marwood -> RE: The Avengers (26/3/2010 9:19:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

Louis Letterier is the perfect director for THE AVENGERS - from what I've seen of CLASH OF THE TITANS, his knack for directing BIG action sequences just keeps improving. I hope he gets the gig.

But it needs to be more than that dude, I agree that Clash should cement him as a good epic action director improving upon his earlier works and Hulk but working with the actors and the non-action scenes is where I think he still needs to prove himself.

Look, I really enjoyed Hulk but it's got it's problems - Leterrier did well to get a decent cast but even then I don't feel like any of them brought their A-game to the film and that could be down to how well they were directed. Also the film suffered in some areas where the tone was off or clumsy and a lot of more dramatic scenes just missed the mark imo - although I do appreciate that what we saw wasn't Leterrier or Norton's preferred cut so maybe the longer "director's cut" would be a more complete film if it was ever released.

Anyway, I hope that Clash shows he can also work well now with an ensemble cast of larger than life characters because the character work is as important to an Avengers film as making things go boom. As RDJ has been helping with development and Favreau is exec producing you can bet it won't just be a wall to wall action pic - if it is then they might as well just hire some journeyman that can deliver explosions and cool effects. But personally I want more than that.

JIm R -> RE: The Avengers (26/3/2010 9:26:03 AM)

Said it in other related threads, give the job to Alex Proyas, he would do a storming job IMO, The Crow alone gives an indication of his stylised approach to be a strong one for the genre.

The Hooded Man -> RE: The Avengers (26/3/2010 9:42:58 AM)

Who's playing John Steed and Emma Peel? Seriously though won't they have to call this The Ultimates to avoid confusion with the well known TV series / terrible film? After all if you ask any none comic book fan who are The Avengers that's what they'll say?

lukeyboy -> RE: The Avengers (26/3/2010 10:11:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Who's playing John Steed and Emma Peel? Seriously though won't they have to call this The Ultimates to avoid confusion with the well known TV series / terrible film? After all if you ask any none comic book fan who are The Avengers that's what they'll say?

I don't think they'll call it 'The Ultimates' because for one thing Captain America is gonna be called 'The First Avenger: Captain America'. They'll probably do the same with The Avengers and call it 'The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes' or something similar.

As far as Louis Letterier directing The Avengers goes, I'm a bit "Meh" about it! I mean I liked TIH but it was by no means a great movie - the action scenes were pretty good though! I think I'll watch Clash of the Titans and come back to you on that one.....although from what i can gather from the trailers Sam Worthington has kept his Ozzie accent for it which i just can't get down with - I mean........an Australian Perseus?

"Ah strewth mate....it's the bloody Kraken"

No!...Just no!

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI