The Book Of Eli (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> The Book Of Eli (15/1/2010 4:18:35 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Bighousewill -> Yummy Bald Kitty (15/1/2010 7:31:49 PM)

Another post apocalyptic tale this is rather good though and in a world where KFC cleanser wipes and other useful stuff it seems make good trade except if your a cannibal (shakey hands are a give away.) Welders goggles are quite in fashion and sunglasses.

chubs -> How can you only give this 2 stars! (15/1/2010 8:50:22 PM)

Why? I thought this was a great film, grim certainly but ended up fairly uplifting. Denzel Washington was good, Gary Oldman was good, the supporting cast was good, there was a story, there was twist I didn't see coming - made for a great Friday afternoon off work movie!

chubs -> How can you only give this 2 stars! (15/1/2010 8:50:37 PM)

Why? I thought this was a great film, grim certainly but ended up fairly uplifting. Denzel Washington was good, Gary Oldman was good, the supporting cast was good, there was a story, there was twist I didn't see coming - made for a great Friday afternoon off work movie!

nc_jj -> (15/1/2010 9:02:53 PM)

Entertaining and thrilling. Recommendable.

DJ Satan -> (15/1/2010 11:47:34 PM)

Beautiful photography. Some fantastic set pieces. Solid performances by Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington. Great soundtrack.

I was pleasently surprised about how good it was. Shits all over The Road.

SpiderBat -> Had a funny feeling this was going to be good (16/1/2010 1:21:06 AM)

The 2 star review sealed it. Never trust a "man" named Kim. Never trust a rag called Empire. Awww... didn't they give you enough publicity interviews or on-set access? Yeah cute bald pussy, too bad it got poked and eaten!

SpiderBat -> Had a funny feeling this was going to be good (16/1/2010 1:21:07 AM)

The 2 star review sealed it. Never trust a "man" named Kim. Never trust a rag called Empire. Awww... didn't they give you enough publicity interviews or on-set access? Yeah cute bald pussy, too bad it got poked and eaten!

tallaght24 -> I know why it got two stars! (16/1/2010 9:22:38 AM)

It got two stars because if it's not 'Attack Of The Octopus Men 8' or 'Nightmare In Camp Crystal Lake 5' or some other video dungeon shite then Kim Newman isn't interested!

sliderduncs -> Empire always get it right... (just)! (16/1/2010 12:36:42 PM)

Another top review... some great moments in the film but the sombre, dour tone gets weary and spoils the great premise and interesting story. Maybe a third star for Denzel & Gary's acting chops might silence Kim's critics...

Haiku -> RE: I know why it got two stars! (16/1/2010 12:47:44 PM)

Empire reviews get worse and worse. I guess the Book Of Eli producers didn't make enough of an effort to bribe the mag.

Mark Kermode made Book Of Eli his film of the week. Hope he gets Jonanthon Ross' Film Show. Don't always agree with Kermode, but he's practically the only critic in the UK that I don't feel has some agenda at work,

captainrentboy -> RE: The Book Of Eli (16/1/2010 6:30:10 PM)

Bit sluggish in parts and the ending left me with a slight feeling of ''Is that it???'' But other than that quite an enjoyable film. Denzel being such a badass in any movie automatically increases the awesome factor by 25% for me and Oldman was on cheesetastic form too. The few action set pieces that were there were shot fantastically, especially the shootout at the end with the big ass mini gun thing. (Although the camera pans and swoops were clearly borrowed from Michael Bay and Bad Boys 2[:)])
Apart from that there was some nice cinematography and above average special effects but I'd still only give it a 3/5.

And for the people that have seen it, was that Flea from the RHCP getting his teeth smashed in on the bar?[&:]

Snake-Eyes -> RE: The Book Of Eli (16/1/2010 6:33:56 PM)

I'm sold man, I'm gonna watch this film for sure. probably better than THE ROAD, which was a letdown for Snake-Eyes.

Shauns -> a very good film poorly rated by Empire (17/1/2010 12:33:07 AM)

What is with the 2 star rating Empire ? I almost passed on going to see this because of your review but you got it wrong again. The things to like about this movie; superb cinematography, good Washington and Oldman performances, a good supporting cast with a couple of funny cameos, the music (including the subtle whistling of Enrico Morricone referencing a Leone classic) some very good action sequences, an usual take on an old spaghetti western type story with some unpredictable twists. Empire used to be a magazine that liked movies but they get it wrong too often, I just dont trust the reviews anymore!

Shauns -> a very good film poorly rated by Empire (17/1/2010 12:34:04 AM)

What is with the 2 star rating Empire ? I almost passed on going to see this because of your review but you got it wrong again. The things to like about this movie; superb cinematography, good Washington and Oldman performances, a good supporting cast with a couple of funny cameos, the music (including the subtle whistling of Enrico Morricone referencing a Leone classic) some very good action sequences, an usual take on an old spaghetti western type story with some unpredictable twists. Empire used to be a magazine that liked movies but they get it wrong too often, I just dont trust the reviews anymore!

SpiderBat -> RE: a very good film poorly rated by Empire (17/1/2010 1:12:08 AM)

I stopped buying Empire since their infamous 5 stars for Attack of the Clones. This website is good place to place opinion, so fair play to them for that. Book of Eli is one of those increasingly rare experiences where you go in knowing not much, ie hasn't been shoved in your face via marketing promos, the trailer didn't give way too much, and the reviews didn't come in until the movie was actually released, so it was a chance to go in fresh and experience something new - exactly what cinema should be about. The only point Kim Newman makes which I agree with was the paradox/irony of the Bible or religion saving the world's future when this could have been a cause of the war, but I think this point was sort of acknowledged in the movie. It's a clever movie, brilliant shot, great soundtrack (another rarity), and Denzel is just star power.

Gazdance -> RE: The Book Of Eli (17/1/2010 12:56:12 PM)

You don't have to agree with the review but that doesn't make the magazine as a whole "a rag" or mean that anyone working on it is a loser.

Honestly, the collective IQ of these boards gets lower and lower with every passing day.

tenstrings -> Did Kim and I see the same film? (17/1/2010 3:10:28 PM)

This is not some casual , contractual obligation film, rather it is an American Samurai movie that just happens to occupy the same setting as any number of post apocalyptic movies of late. This is basically the Zatoichi template rehoused on the American continent -- and it's a successful translation. Despite Kim's protestations of ridicule, the only laughs I had were at Gambon and De La Tour's quirky turn. I found the spiritual grounding of this film more accessible and human than the pantheistic mush of Avatar which (on reflection) did not deserve its five red stars.

See it for yourselves.

Shauns -> a very good film poorly rated by Empire (17/1/2010 3:26:25 PM)

Shauns -> a very good film poorly rated by Empire (17/1/2010 3:27:23 PM)

Shauns -> a very good film poorly rated by Empire (17/1/2010 3:31:45 PM)

Bighousewill -> Ive Changed My Mind (17/1/2010 4:01:45 PM)

I gave The Book Of Eli four stars when I wrote 'Yummy Bald Kitty' but I have thought about it and now I agree with Empire that this is two stars. I really enjoyed it but only because I paid very little for my ticket (cineworld card) and it was fun but a guilty pleasure as some bits were really lame.

Bighousewill -> RE: The Book Of Eli (17/1/2010 4:18:01 PM)

I think the reviews are accurate by empire. I saw The Book Of Eli before I read the empire review. I saw two films in one day at cineworld with my unlimited card the other being Up In Air I read that review in the magazine and I have to say that five stars is what it deserved. I went on line to read and write my own review of The book of Eli and gave it four stars because it was bad, but so bad it was good fun not taking it too seriously. Later though I changed my mind and gave it just two stars because it lingered in my mind and gave me a bad movie memory like the kind you get when you've seen 2009's Blood the last vampire but its not so bad when you have an unlimited card.

Mr Terrific -> RE: The Book Of Eli (17/1/2010 4:40:24 PM)

The movie worked for me. Like another poster stated its an American reworking of the
Zatoichi  character in a post apocalyptic setting.

Not as much action as I was expecting, but the action you do get is very good and bloody. The fight scenes are well choreographed and the cinematography beautiful.
Well acted in the main and quite spiritual in a way.  

SpiderBat -> RE: The Book Of Eli (17/1/2010 5:36:16 PM)

Hey man let's face it, with any media publication (or person writing in it) there's always a chance of attempted manipulation of audience opinion based on hidden agendas. With Empire there's previous of commercial bias to certain movies with nothing to do with quality and don't pretend otherwise. This is why they've got George Lucas' number on speed dial for example. The fact that a large proportion of the audience has ingrained bad taste (and low IQ) means they get away with it. They'd probably admit it themselves over a coffee. To give a movie a rating based on access to that film during production, or in many cases meekly following critical consensus without any challenge (eg The Hurt Locker) is kind of called LYING? = rag in my view any day of the week.

Indio -> RE: The Book Of Eli (17/1/2010 5:49:40 PM)

I liked it, it wasn't as profound as it would maybe like to think it was, and there were a few moments that didn't make sense/were too implausible (why didn't Stevensons character shoot Eli dead when he walked out of the Orpheum and let him walk out of town, and why couldn't a single one of Carnegie's stooges even clip him?), but overall it was an enjoyable film, good to see Gary Oldman back in Leon/Dracula mode after far too many cameo roles, and well shot and scored too (although I sincerely hope that was a wig Malcolm McDowell was wearing and thats not his everyday look [:D])

SpiderBat -> RE: Ive Changed My Mind (17/1/2010 6:00:10 PM)

I've changed my mind too! I've still got the cinematography and Denzel's performance in my head. I'm giving it 5 stars! Here are 10 reason why I now love The Book of Eli:
1.  Kim "Kimberly" Newman and Empire don't. Nothing personal guys, but 20 years of reading your stuff maketh me wise! 
2. It reminds of my one of my favourite movies, The Road Warrior.
3. The cinematography, which stays consistently brilliant throughout.
4. Denzel bringing star power of the real deal variety, and I have shades like he wears.
5. The movie came from under the radar (relatively speaking), helping to make it seem fresh and original.  
6. The music. An original score, not ripped of from previous movies!
7. A bald pussy gets speared, roasted and eaten! There is also a hairy pussy too, in case you like that kind of thing.
8. Mila Kunis. No connection with point 7.
9. The bad guys get room to breathe and develop. The script is that good.  
10. Malcolm McDowell's character looks like Kim Newman in old age! Maybe that's why he didn't like it ;)

captainrentboy -> RE: The Book Of Eli (17/1/2010 6:44:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Indio

, and why couldn't a single one of Carnegie's stooges even clip him? [:D])

Slight Spoilers Ahead......

I thought their aims were just fine, I'm sure I saw a bullet hole go through the back of his collar, but he was literally that protected whilst on his mission that it didn't harm him. Hence him dropping like a stone, after he gives over the book, when he's attacked later on in the film.
I might very well be wrong, but I'm sure that's what I saw. [:D]

Let's face it, with the big surprise that is revealed towards the end of the film, I'm sure there are quite a few other inconsistent events dotted throughout the movie too.

Hobbitonlass -> RE: The Book Of Eli (17/1/2010 7:11:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy

Slight Spoilers Ahead......

I thought their aims were just fine, I'm sure I saw a bullet hole go through the back of his collar, but he was literally that protected whilst on his mission that it didn't harm him. Hence him dropping like a stone, after he gives over the book, when he's attacked later on in the film.
I might very well be wrong, but I'm sure that's what I saw. [:D]

That's exactly how I saw it as well.

I thought that the way it was shot, the music and Denzil's performance made it very powerful to watch.   Thought it was a great watch.

Wilbert -> RE: Ive Changed My Mind (17/1/2010 7:38:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpiderBat

I've changed my mind too! I've still got the cinematography and Denzel's performance in my head. I'm giving it 5 stars! Here are 10 reason why I now love The Book of Eli:
1.  Kim "Kimberly" Newman and Empire don't. Nothing personal guys, but 20 years of reading your stuff maketh me wise! 
2. It reminds of my one of my favourite movies, The Road Warrior.
3. The cinematography, which stays consistently brilliant throughout.
4. Denzel bringing star power of the real deal variety, and I have shades like he wears.
5. The movie came from under the radar (relatively speaking), helping to make it seem fresh and original.  
6. The music. An original score, not ripped of from previous movies!
7. A bald pussy gets speared, roasted and eaten! There is also a hairy pussy too, in case you like that kind of thing.
8. Mila Kunis. No connection with point 7.
9. The bad guys get room to breathe and develop. The script is that good.  
10. Malcolm McDowell's character looks like Kim Newman in old age! Maybe that's why he didn't like it ;)

Idiot.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI