Halo: Reach (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad

kata -> Halo: Reach (8/1/2010 1:16:36 PM)

For those that don't know, Halo: Reach a prequel to the halo trilogy.
Click me for footage

Set during the fall of reach it's looking like Halo: combat evolved.....evolved. Theres not a lot of concrete info but it's looking like it could be a squad based Halo game, similar to the Battlefield games.

Some news out of CES is that Reach will use Natal (Microsoft's motion control device):
Click me for story

Not sure what i think of that, I was never a big fan of the Wii after the first 5 mins of bowling. Although it does seem that MS understand that a lot of gamers don't want to stand in front of the TV waving limbs, so we'll have to wait and see.

One of the more worrying aspects is that Natal was originally planned to have a built in processor, they scrapped that idea and put the load on the xbox's processor instead. By load i mean 10 - 15% (confirmed) of the processors power. So any game which uses Natal must share it's processor.

Still looking forward to Reach, just not sure what i think of this whole Natal thing.

britesparc -> RE: Halo: Reach (uses Natal) (8/1/2010 1:56:21 PM)

Iíve always assumed Reach would use Natal anyway, so confirmation of this doesnít surprise me.  Come on, MSís biggest franchise has a brand new instalment come out at the same time as MS launches a brand new piece of hardware?  Even the name ďReachĒ has connotations, although obviously itís also a significant piece of the story and Halo lore.

I think Reach Ė and Fable III, for that matter Ė are going to act sort of like Trojan Horses, being traditionally hardcore games which utilise Natal control in innovative ways in order to ďlureĒ classic Xbox fans into buying the new machine.  So Reach, I imagine, wonít have any complicated and potentially alienating ďmove arms to aimĒ type control system, but we could maybe see head-tracking and gesture-based squad commands (Iíd love to do that hold-your-fist-up-to-make-the-squad-stop thing).

As for the lack of processing hardware in the camera itself, I guess that is a concern for a big blockbuster like Reach, which Iíd have thought would be pushing the 360 to its limits.  But if it makes Natal cheaper then I guess itís a good thing for MS (and of course it makes it easier to add functionality and bug-fix in software), and hopefully developers like Bungie will still be able to deliver great visuals even with the new control method.

Chief -> RE: Halo: Reach (uses Natal) (8/1/2010 3:36:33 PM)

Were they not aiming for a December release for Natal?

kata -> RE: Halo: Reach (uses Natal) (21/1/2010 9:47:14 PM)

Interesting little article over at Edge:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/halo-reach-tales-of-the-fall

Starting to look forward to this now, some of the stuff covered in the print article sounds sweet too:

Reach is 70% complete.

"no component untouched" when improving the old engine.

Now players will look the same throughout multiplayer, coop and singleplayer (and the way they look will be customizable)

There is a 3d radar and the HUD can now highlight various environmental features and overlay information about them.

ODST style night vision returns.

On the pause screen it mentions "grades and credits" but Bungie wont discuss them yet. Probably to do with the character customization system.

Bungie were disappointed with the reaction of people to the halo 3 marine, so theyve brought back the flavour of the halo 1 marine.

Assassinations (by holding down melee) will feature in multiplayer and the instant assassination of past halos may not be featured at all. Bungie is using the Beta to decide how it will feature.

Huge landscapes - but you can visit each area. In coop you may see your buddy fighting a long way off in the distance.
Teleportation is far less strict.

Bungie is bending the Xbox as far as it will bend and really pushing the hardware.

Tung says there will be some big surprises in campaign.

The game features rain which will leave covered areas dry and vice versa.

Elite AI has been improved a lot. They might be doing something like fixing a door and then something may attack them, but once they have dealt with the threat they'll go back to what they were doing before.

"Bungie's not fixed on leaving the trusty BR out". The DMR has 3X zoom.

Shield recharge not as fast as Halo 3's.

Lehto admits that there was no generational leap on the animation side between combat evolved and ODST, but in Reach they will make them like all look like the trailer (including facial animations)

Starting to sound a lot better, looks like they are going into the bare bones of Halo and improving on it bit by bit.

Colour me hyped [:D]

somekindof_battery -> RE: Halo: Reach (uses Natal) (22/1/2010 12:50:37 AM)

New FPS Halo game? Count me in.

I might even prefer Halo 3 to Modern Warfare 2...

Chief -> RE: Halo: Reach (22/1/2010 9:08:54 AM)

Hi there, long time Halo fan here. I stuck Halo on yesterday (to do my bit for Haiti) and, after playing MW2 for the past month, realised how dated it was. Still had reasonably good fun but it just wasn't the same as it used to be.

As for ODST, I thought it was okay but the lack of multiplayer was a bit of a letdown. Firefight was a nice distraction but I felt there was a lack of purpose - you could never "win".

So what I'm really looking forward to in Reach is a good campaign (I liked Halo 1, 2 & 3) and a vastly updated multiplayer.
Stick that in a box and I'll be a happy gent.

Oh, and my point about Natal is that won't Reach be released 3 months before Natal?

the anomaly -> RE: Halo: Reach (22/1/2010 11:19:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief
Hi there, long time Halo fan here. I stuck Halo on yesterday (to do my bit for Haiti) and, after playing MW2 for the past month, realised how dated it was. Still had reasonably good fun but it just wasn't the same as it used to be.

I jumped on for a bit too. Surprised to see how many people didn't bother to change thier logo for Hati. [:(] I quite enjoyed it. I'm still looking to go back into it for some proper sessions to get my money's worth out of the map packs. However I hope Reach mixes things up.

quote:

As for ODST, I thought it was okay but the lack of multiplayer was a bit of a letdown. Firefight was a nice distraction but I felt there was a lack of purpose - you could never "win".

I've still not completed a second playthrough of ODST. But it was a mixed bag for me. I've said it a million times but if your in for whole package it's good. I'm glad I have all the multiplayer maps on disc etc. If you bother at all with fire fight then again you get a bit more for you buck. The game had a lot of good ideas ... but they just felt unfinished ... or left out.

With all the hype that the ODST was so special and indivdual I was hoping for some class based / squad based action ... yet they were all the same and played just like master chief apart from the health system.

Regarding Firefight ... I need to give that a proper go again. BUT it can last for A-G-E-S. Too long for an online game. There should be some kind of option for quick games of fire fight. Or to start from a certain wave etc like GoW horde mode does. OR even offer a intermission system so everyone can go back to the lobby ... then just take a break for loo/snacks/drinks etc. [:D]

It would have been nice to have some ODST multiplayer though. It seems like a huge over sight. Even if it used all the same maps there could have been an ODST mode where you use the ODST characters and their system.

quote:

So what I'm really looking forward to in Reach is a good campaign (I liked Halo 1, 2 & 3) and a vastly updated multiplayer.
Stick that in a box and I'll be a happy gent.

What I want from REACH ;
  • Class based combat. All the Spartans should be different. With their own benefits and drawbacks. 
  • Each Spartan should have their own story and have proper role in the main plot. So if you play the game with four players they should each actually BE a character. Instead of random Spartan 1 and random Elite 1. Bungie know people are going to four player so why not fight in a team of four all the time? 
  • The option to create your own Spartan with lot's of customization. Maybe even create their back story by choosing for a few presets (like Mass Effect).
  • Get the story across clearly ...

Chief -> RE: Halo: Reach (22/1/2010 12:15:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

What I want from REACH ;
  • Class based combat. All the Spartans should be different. With their own benefits and drawbacks. 
  • Each Spartan should have their own story and have proper role in the main plot. So if you play the game with four players they should each actually BE a character. Instead of random Spartan 1 and random Elite 1. Bungie know people are going to four player so why not fight in a team of four all the time? 
  • The option to create your own Spartan with lot's of customization. Maybe even create their back story by choosing for a few presets (like Mass Effect).

So you want a Halo RPG? [:D]

I'd be happy with a Halo 3 update. New story/weapons and a graphic update.

kata -> RE: Halo: Reach (22/1/2010 4:17:58 PM)

Another interesting article over at Edge.  Highlights:

We are definitely bending the Xbox as far as it'll bend, taking every advantage of everything on the CPU and GPU, and every bit of memory in order to produce the look of Reach beyond anything of Halo 3. We're pushing it as far as we can go. With every iteration we understand what more we can exploit with the hardware.

now players can fly the camera out to any point and look at it Ė stuff you never had to worry about before, starting with Halo 3. Everything can now be explored, down to the nook and cranny. That's a curse and a blessing.

Remember that first time we flew that camera in replay up into the interior of a Pelican, which is right up in the sky? Normally you wouldn't need to texture it, but now you can see everything. It's definitely exponentially increased the amount of work we have to do.

We've given the designers better tools for designing AI encounters, including what we call the 'Front' tool, which for any encounter with opposing forces will have the AI take a front line approach, hold a position and take cover and push forward in waves from one location to the next.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/halo-reach-gutting-the-engine

quote:

What I want from REACH ;

I think most of that is already (semi) confirmed.  It's definitely going to be customisation heavy and your character will carry over to each mode, Fifa be a pro style.  They've already started to flesh out the stories for the squad,  but with the confrimation that everyones character will carry over to each mode (including co-op) i doubt we'll get the chance to take control of them.

There's already tons of back story to Reach, it's where the Spartans were originally trained and is seen as a human strong hold and in terms of safety it's second only to Earth (with huge cannons in orbit around the planet).

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Reach

Whether or not Bungie have the chops to get this story across in a quick and engaging way to people not familiar with the lore is something we'll have to wait to find out.

They've (Bungie) already stated this will be their final Halo game, i'm hoping it turns out to be THE definitive Halo game, go out with a bang.  Will have to work hard to top Halo: CE though.   If not, at the very least we'll have some new halo multiplayer [:)]

kata -> RE: Halo: Reach (25/1/2010 2:10:27 PM)

Ha, speaking of the definitive Halo game....

To what extent are you trying to make the definitive Halo?
Absolutely. It's the definitive. Neither of us worked on Combat Evolved or or Halo 2. We both played all of them a lot, and we came here thinking about the most important parts of those games, wondering why we remember particular moments from Combat Evolved and Halo 2, and then 3. How we can grab all of that to make the definitive Halo game - absolutely.

Part 3 of Edges reach feature is up:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/halo-reach-%E2%80%93-being-definitive?page=0%2C1

Few highlights:

Which encounters did you reference most? Silent Cartographer?
It depends on what we were looking for - Cartographer is a great example of solid level design that is in many ways non-linear but still has a focused objective. We talk about that and Flawless Cowboy. We talked about how to bring back some of that magic that was in Halo: CE. I'd say there's a lot of good high action examples from all three games

How did you aim to achieve a game that feels more like Combat Evolved?
One of the other things we talked about early was adding more tension and drama, and that was to do with the shield mechanic. In Halo: CE, the time between the shield being down and recharging was 14 seconds - seven stunned, and seven to recharge. That time slowly reduced through Halo 2 and 3. I believe it was just under seven seconds in Halo 3. We noticed that the longer it took, the more drama, the more tension you'd create. The player would lose their shields, run for cover, be in that moment of 'Oh shit oh shit' - possibly an enemy runs around the corner and kills you.

the anomaly -> RE: Halo: Reach (25/1/2010 3:26:12 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

What I want from REACH ;

So you want a Halo RPG? [:D]

I'd be happy with a Halo 3 update. New story/weapons and a graphic update.

I don't think I'm asking for too much! [:D] Halo already offers customisation in the multiplayer. I just want them to build on it. When speaking of class based combat I think they could take note of what COD MW2 is doing.

Regarding the story it seems Bungie half expects everyone to know what's going already. Fans may know all about Reach already via books, comics, videos etc but newcommers won't. It is a big franchise and alot of people do know Halo. Yet it still needs to get the story across. Seeing as this is a prequel it should be easier to re-introduce the Halo World.

kata -> RE: Halo: Reach (26/1/2010 12:51:49 PM)

IGN have just released some new screenshots.  This is looking really sharp compared to halo 3.
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14276699/halo-reach/images/halo-reach-20100125051607890.html

There's also a new character bio thing over at Bungie.  They are really blitzing us with details atm.
http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/article.aspx?ucc=personnel&cid=24527

[image]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/439/haloreach20100125051607.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5066/haloreach20100125051617.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9151/haloreach20100125051624.jpg[/image]

kata -> RE: Halo: Reach (27/1/2010 1:10:10 PM)

New dev blog detailing how the 3d models have evolved over the halo games:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=24541

kata -> RE: Halo: Reach (28/1/2010 1:07:53 PM)

Dev blog: weapons
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=Reach_Sandbox_Preview

kata -> Halo: Reach Beta date! (11/2/2010 10:40:17 PM)

Few new shots and a confirmation that the beta will be available from 3rd May [:D]

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=HaloReach_X10

kata -> RE: Halo: Reach Beta date! (12/2/2010 3:10:35 PM)

Massive reveal vi-doc

http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/vidaudio.aspx?c=58&i=24782

Looks at pretty much all the improvements with a nice bit of gameplay footage thrown in.  Customisation looks nice too.

I'm impressed [:D]

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Halo: Reach Beta date! (12/2/2010 3:30:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

Massive reveal vi-doc

http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/vidaudio.aspx?c=58&i=24782

Looks at pretty much all the improvements with a nice bit of gameplay footage thrown in.† Customisation looks nice too.

I'm impressed [:D]

You seem to be the only one [:D]

kata -> RE: Halo: Reach Beta date! (3/3/2010 9:43:37 AM)

New multiplayer trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udhQ9KkoQ3I

Jesus H Wept.... I was pretty hyped for this but that just looks like a whole other level.

[image]http://xs.to/image-93E1_4B8EA339.gif[/image]

the anomaly -> RE: Halo: Reach Beta date! (3/3/2010 10:33:37 AM)

I've been playing a bit of Halo now and again. Trying to get the most out of all Mythic, Legendary Maps and Firefight. Is there a firefight mode on this game also? I hope they add an option to start on a certain wave, difficulty or even add a save option for you to pick up where you left off. Firefight is brilliant but it can last for ages and apart from the achievements there is not much else to aim for ... where is the leaderboard for firefight? ODST proves it can work but I hope Reach adds it and tweaks it up.

target -> RE: Halo: Reach Beta date! (4/3/2010 1:19:50 PM)

Looking forward to the beta now after that video. Jetpacks? Yes please!

Played a few games of halo last night, manged an overkill extermination in my first game. It felt good to be back.

thepluginbaby -> RE: Halo: Reach Beta date! (5/3/2010 1:59:54 AM)

From what I've seen so far I am impressed. Love the ideas of jetpacks in multiplayer, definitely will make MP more interesting as well as easy headshots!!! My main concern is that the development seems to be insistent on going back to vintage halo as if they captured lightning in a bottle with that gane. They've done that throughout the entire series. How many times do we see a Silent Cartographer level in a halo game? The major selling point for ODST seemed to be the frikken' halo 1 pistol for god's sake.

Also, no Flood in this game please Bungie. Bloody hate those bullet sponges.

kata -> RE: Halo: Reach Beta date! (5/3/2010 2:01:10 PM)

We're pre-flood in the timeline for Reach apparantly... but tbh that's never stopped Bungie.  Apparently we knew the location of every Spartan prior to Reach and they invented a few more so i wouldn't put it past them to include the flood.

As for firefight, no details have really been announced.  I really enjoyed on ODST so i'm hoping they include it.  With matchmaking this time would be sweet.

Graphics looks so sweet this time around too...

[image]http://xs.to/image-EB3C_4B8EA8D6.gif[/image]

kata -> RE: Halo: Reach Beta date! (18/3/2010 6:17:42 PM)

Quite a lot of multiplayer details released today:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62865

Few highlights:

Arena Playlists - Possibly the largest change coming in Halo: Reach is the Arena. This is a Slayer and Team Slayer set of playlists entirely geared toward the hardcore. If that wasn't enough, players will be rated and placed into skill divisions in month-long seasons.

The divisions are Onyx, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Steel. It is possible to move up or down within a single season. To qualify for ranking, players will have to play a certain number of games a day to gain a "Daily Ranking", which will be an average of a player's best games from the day. To get a divisional ranking and compete in a season, players will need a certain number of Daily Rankings.

Social Settings -  players can rate themselves along four axis to add another layer of criteria to the matchmaking. These won't trump anything else, but it will help Bungie build better teams. Players will define their playstyle in the following four categories:
  • Teamwork - Team Player vs. Lone Wolf
  • Motivation - Winning vs. Having Fun
  • Chattiness - Chatty vs. Quiet
  • Tone - Polite vs. Rowdy

Starting to look like the complete package... roll on May.

kata -> RE: Halo: Reach Beta date! (1/4/2010 12:52:19 AM)

Another sweet tidbit of multiplayer info:

http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/03/31/exclusive-interview-on-the-halo-reach-sandbox.aspx

Highlight:

HAMRICK: An ability that we havenít talked about yet is Armor Lock. Itís kind of a throwback to the old school bubble shield but you always have it on your person and itís intended to keep you safe. Itís kind of like a block. If your opponent closes on you with a shotgun or is about to land a melee blow or run you over with a vehicle, you can engage Armor Lock and become temporarily invulnerable. You canít move, aim, or shoot. Youíre stuck there, but you canít be killed. You can do that up to three times on one charge or you can do one sustained lock for a few seconds.

Think Bungie are doing weekly info releases leading up to the beta in may.  Another ViDoc due soon too.

kata -> RE: Halo: Reach Beta date! (8/4/2010 4:26:33 PM)

More beta info:

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1082381p1.html

Pretty close now, just under a month [:D]

Chief -> RE: Halo: Reach (8/4/2010 4:31:34 PM)

The only reason I'm hanging onto my 360!

target -> RE: Halo: Reach (25/4/2010 2:11:52 PM)

Anyone seen the new Vidoc?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7PuJv9jVBk

Getting pretty hyped for this now. So who else is going to be playing the beta?

Chief -> RE: Halo: Reach (26/4/2010 9:25:21 AM)

I'll be there. Got a few mates coming round on the 7th and seeing as you can sign in guests (something sorely missing from MW2) it should be a hoot.

the anomaly -> RE: Halo: Reach (26/4/2010 10:29:47 AM)

I'll be there for the beta. If you can sign in guests even better! Looking forward to this. A true Halo ... se ... prequel. 

kata -> RE: Halo: Reach (26/4/2010 2:01:38 PM)

I'll be there, looking forward to it.

new website just went up:

http://www.welcometonobleteam.com/

Edit:  website is for this:

http://gameplayunlimited.com/2010/04/halo-reach-birth-of-a-spartan-live-action-short-coming-april-27/

Literally cannot wait for that, the ODST live action trailer was awesome.

Also, been a bit of a footage blowout today:

http://www.giantbomb.com/ask-me-anything-halo-reach/17-2381/
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/26/halo-reach-pre-beta-video-walkthroughs-gameplay-footage/
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14276699/halo-project/videos/haloreach_vdp_042310.html?show=hi
http://www.gametrailers.com/

It's everywhere... guess MS are putting their substantial weight behind it like never before.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI