Memorable music from terrible films. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Soundtracks

Kilo_T_Mortal -> Memorable music from terrible films. (23/12/2009 11:41:22 AM)

Just started thinking about Police Academy and the theme tune popped into my head. Duh duh duh duh dur dur du-du-du duuuuur.

Anyone got any other good ones?

BudBaxter -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (23/12/2009 12:34:44 PM)

Alexander Courage's score for Superman IV is superb. The film was not.

Ditto John Debney's score for Cutthroat Island & BIll Conti's Masters of the Universe

grucl -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (23/12/2009 1:38:28 PM)

Alan Silvestri's score for Van Helsing is far better than the film itself.

Deviation -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (23/12/2009 3:42:29 PM)

Hannibal

/endofthread

Kilo_T_Mortal -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (23/12/2009 11:44:57 PM)

I love Conan the Barbarian, but some people might not like it. People who don't like John Millius aka the Devil. The people who don't have any taste.

Actually this film has no reasonable place in this thread.

It's actually the best sound track ever.

If I die, Dev and they ask, tell them I said Conan. But in a reasable context. Don't tell them that John is my favourite director. EVER.

Kilo_T_Mortal -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (23/12/2009 11:51:35 PM)

My investigations have left me to suspect I should get married to the conan msic.

darth silas -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (24/12/2009 11:45:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

Alexander Courage's score for Superman IV is superb. The film was not.

Ditto John Debney's score for Cutthroat Island & BIll Conti's Masters of the Universe

Masters of the Universe is a great film.The score makes it even better.

Deviation -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (24/12/2009 3:05:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

My investigations have left me to suspect I should get married to the conan msic.

I don't blame you, I almost married two of its sisters, Robocop music ans Starship Troopers music. Though they do not deserve to be mentioned here. Not at all.

Tech_Noir -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (24/12/2009 4:57:19 PM)

quote:

Just started thinking about Police Academy and the theme tune popped into my head. Duh duh duh duh dur dur du-du-du duuuuur.

What?? Police Academy 1-4 are great fun!

I'd say Lady in The Water.

Kilo_T_Mortal -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (25/12/2009 12:51:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

I don't blame you, I almost married two of its sisters, Robocop music ans Starship Troopers music. Though they do not deserve to be mentioned here. Not at all.

Is John Millius the best director to have never made any films? I think he is. I love him.

JoeyPottr -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (27/12/2009 3:11:58 AM)

Some of the Vangelis orchestrations in Alexander are just amazing, the only problem is that over half of them were not released on the actual soundtrack either.

swan -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (29/12/2009 10:45:43 PM)

i personally dont think its a terrible film but the score for hulk(ang lee) was rather spiffy.

darth silas -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (30/12/2009 8:10:15 PM)

Jerry Goldsmith had a habit of scoring films that were less than stellar but his work on them elevated them to another level.A few examples of this are..

Star Trek:The Motion Picture.
Supergirl.
Hollow Man.

Tech_Noir -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (31/12/2009 10:36:05 AM)

Tangerine Dream, The Keep

Without the music the film would be just awful, now it's an unintentional masterpiece (in my book). [:D]

JoeyPottr -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (5/3/2010 4:46:09 AM)

The score for Alexander is amazing by Vangelis

juanvasquez -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (5/3/2010 4:02:55 PM)

I watched Franklyn earlier. It was dull as fuck, but the score was great.

krudler -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (6/3/2010 12:05:51 AM)

Supergirl, its got a fantastic main theme, wasted on the movie tbh

Jaws:The Revenge has a great score, its not John Williams good, but its not far off, the reworking of the main theme is great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trID2aT0_Ps

Daninsky -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (9/4/2010 1:50:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Jerry Goldsmith had a habit of scoring films that were less than stellar but his work on them elevated them to another level.A few examples of this are..

Star Trek:The Motion Picture.
Supergirl.
Hollow Man.

I actually have a soft spot for Supergirl. :-)

But not to forget Deep Rising.
Great score for a not so great movie.

jeanne -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (21/5/2010 4:33:47 PM)

I would like to nominate the Twighlight movies I don't get it but they have the best composers working on the scores and it's just a stupid teenage film. I mean the first had Carter Burwell and now Alexander Desplat. also the next score is composed by Howard Shore

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (22/5/2010 1:47:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeanne

I would like to nominate the Twighlight movies I don't get it but they have the best composers working on the scores and it's just a stupid teenage film. I mean the first had Carter Burwell and now Alexander Desplat. also the next score is composed by Howard Shore

I didn't know this. It'll be the best thing about the film [:D]

jeanne -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (22/5/2010 7:36:50 PM)

yep according to imdb he is. I really don't get how they've got so much good music in such bad films :) well to be fair haven't seen the second one but the first bored me out of my mind. I've now got the new moon score. Didn't have the nerv to loan it from the library so I just found it on the net they have it on the youtube playlist. :) I don't want to have anyone who might see the ost in my house[:D]

Edward Nygma -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (24/5/2010 5:40:42 PM)

quote:

Not sure why some of you guys want to marry film scores but...

Yeah the Conan score is pretty amazing. It is definitely one of my favourite soundtracks ever. If not my favourite. But I like the first Conan, I don't think it's a bad film so there.

Other ones that come to mind are John Ottman's kickass score for Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. The film was balls but the Surfer's theme is brilliant. Otherwise Elfman's score for The Wolfman was better than the film. Same for Jon Brion's score for Step Brothers lol I like Step Brothers though, delightfully retarded.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (25/5/2010 1:55:07 AM)

Conan is a terrible film, but it is a good score.

The Adventures Of Robin Hood would be one of my choices. I know it's a classic film but I only care for Rathbone and Rains and I prefer almost every other Robin Hood film made. The music though is phenomenal, one of the best scores ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4yg7hq8GUs

babyclaws -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (24/6/2010 11:13:41 AM)

The Fountain would be a lot harder to watch without it's score imo. It's the music that often makes me think about giving it a rewatch.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (24/6/2010 1:26:21 PM)

quote:

I wouldn't say Police Academy is a terrible film, it's quite fun. I love the theme though, I have it as my mobile ringtone [:D]

L.B. Jefferies -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (25/6/2010 3:46:41 PM)

John Barry's "King Kong"
Jerry Goldsmith's "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"

funkyfenbah -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (27/6/2010 1:23:12 AM)

quote:

Anyone got any other good ones?

John Barry's Raise The Titanic... a gorgeous piece of music that could transcend connections to any bad movie you could dream of!!!!

daemonic -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (27/8/2010 10:51:55 AM)

though not "score" related as such - the question did get me thinking about great songs from crap films.

2 that come to mind straight away

We Built This City - Starship (from Mannequin)

and - probably my favourite song of all time

Together In Electric Dreams - Phil Oakley & Giorgio Moroder (from Electric Dreams)

Any other suggestions?

BelfastBoy -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (29/8/2010 9:15:52 AM)

Some contributions from James Horner - Krull, Willow, Star Trek III. (The latter features a lengthy track called 'Stealing the Enterprise' that I think is Horner's most thrilling single track of all.)

Those who mentioned Cutthroat Island are dead right, John Debney's score is glorious. I'd also like to mention Jerry Goldsmith's Explorers and Star Trek 5, as well as Bruce Broughton's stunning music for Young Sherlock Holmes.

BelfastBoy -> RE: Memorable music from terrible films. (29/8/2010 12:39:32 PM)

Remembered a few more:

The Rocketeer (James Horner)
Battle Beyond The Stars (James Horner) - a cheesy, enthusiastic and deliberate pastiche of Goldsmith's 1st Star Trek score, 'blaster beam' included!
King Solomon's Mines (Jerry Goldsmith)
The Mummy (Goldsmith)
The Mummy Returns (Alan Silvestri)
Timeline (either Brian Tyler's that was used in the final film, or Goldsmith's rejected score)
Troy (Gabriel Yared's fabulous rejected score)
Conan The Destroyer (Basil Poledouris) - not a patch on his 1st Conan score which is one of the best ever, but still enthusiastic and worth a listen)
The Witches of Eastwick (John Williams - I hate the film but the music is great)
Sinbad (Harry Gregson Williams)
1492 Conquest of Paradise (Vangelis)
Legend (Tangerine Dream or Goldsmith's score for the extended version)

Can I also reverse the topic to suggest great films with bad music? If so, then I'd like to nominate Michael Giacchino for Star Trek (2009). I just fail to se the appeal. I think it's bland, unmemorable, and he's done far better elsewhere (like The Incredibles, Up or Lost). Or Toto and Brian Eno for Dune - I'm mad enough to consider this film a deeply flawed masterpiece, but the music is dire and repetitive.

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI