RE: RE: (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

eldiabolik -> RE: RE: (14/12/2009 10:46:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: fierce-hairdo

Oh dear. Felix, that really is a cheap shot.
I, for one, think Monkeyshaver makes a very valid point, the odd spelling mistake notwithstanding.

Some of us are just bored of those posters on here who only seem to post to take unfounded jabs at Empire.

Really? Looked to me like you didn't have the wit to respond to a well written post. Just a lame rejoinder.

I'm trying my best not to get involved with the name calling here, but some of you mods have got long toes sticking out your glass houses.

shool -> RE: RE: (14/12/2009 10:49:56 AM)

Right! No more name calling and back on topic everybody. This is an Avatar review thread not a place for name calling or bickering.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: RE: (14/12/2009 10:56:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

Right! No more name calling and back on topic everybody. This is an Avatar review thread not a place for name calling or bickering.

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the war room!

attakdog -> RE: RE: (14/12/2009 11:00:43 AM)

I for one will never criticise a review that manages to get in mentions for darting legends Phil "The Power" Taylor and Ray Van Barneveld.

eldiabolik -> RE: Avatar (14/12/2009 11:09:20 AM)

quote:

This has now heightened my interest in the film that and the favourable review in the guardian.

Roll on next week.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/dec/11/avatar-james-cameron-film-review

Favourable? Two stars?

"It's baggy, longwinded and, for all the light-speed imagery, just not quick on its feet. Cameron used to be the tautest film-maker around, but he just got slack"

attakdog -> RE: RE: (14/12/2009 11:13:27 AM)

Seriously though, I was bored rigid by the hype for this film a year ago, now it's reaching fever pitch and getting ridiculous. No film will ever be able to live up to this much hype.

I cant help but wonder if this was another George Lucas special fx laden blockbuster, and not a Lord God almighty Jim Cameron effort, if all these critics would be queing up to gush over it. I reckon they'd be doing the opposite and falling over eachother to throw rotten fruit at it.

Somehow Cameron's above criticism, but lets face facts, if you take 12 years to make a bloody film, there's no excuse for it not being good. Imagine how brilliant Spielberg or Scorcese's next film would be if they took 12 years to make it. Hell even Michael Bay could have made a half decent transformers sequal if he was given 12 years to get it right.

shool -> RE: Avatar (14/12/2009 11:18:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: eldiabolik

quote:

This has now heightened my interest in the film that and the favourable review in the guardian.

Roll on next week.

Favourable? Two stars?

"It's baggy, longwinded and, for all the light-speed imagery, just not quick on its feet. Cameron used to be the tautest film-maker around, but he just got slack"

Oops I think I meant the independent. Anyhow this is getting great reviews pretty much across the board.

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

Beno -> RE: Avatar (14/12/2009 11:32:24 AM)

I read one reviewer state that Avatar will surpass Titanic's box office take . Well i'm not so sure of that cos the average Joe round my neck of the woods does'nt know what movie i'm on about when i start waxing lyrically about its potential to be fabulous .
Maybe it will get a word of mouth thing in this country when it opens cos if it aint got Vampires in it i cant see it breaking records over here anyhoo .

broonie -> RE: OMG...this film is... (14/12/2009 12:27:12 PM)

Is this the Film Review thread or the Film Review Review thread? For christ sake only a handle of people have seen this film on here and yet this thread is 7 pages long, wonder what it will be like once it's released.

If Mr Hewitt wants to give Avatar 5 stars then so f***ing what! I think it's more for the whole 3-D experience than anything else, Camerons dared to try something different, judging by early reviews by jove it looks like he's succeeded.

So please no more slating Empires review for now, go and see the bloody film then come back on and rant away to your hearts content.

krudler -> RE: OMG...this film is... (14/12/2009 2:00:03 PM)

Ah the influx of 2 post newbies with chips on their shoulders has begun "omg empire are being bought off!!1! movie is 3 not 5 stars!! i havent seen it but the trailer clearly shows its not 5 star, and its racist and offensive!!!1!1 cgi is like pocoahontas smurfs!!!"

imdb forums are thataway trolls ---->

retrofreak90 -> RE: 3D not fair! (14/12/2009 3:49:12 PM)

I don't get those people who are slagging both the review and the movie when they haven't even SEEN it yet. Whether you liked the trailer or not is irrelevant ("Phantom Menace" looked completely ace in its trailer, for example). SEE the movie, then judge, eh?

superdan -> RE: Hmmmm (14/12/2009 4:20:26 PM)

If people care to check the star rating system, 5 stars does not mean 'masterpiece' - it means classic. I don't think I've read a review of Avatar yet which claims it is a masterpiece, however it might be entirely fair to say it is unmissable in much the same way Jurassic Park and Independence Day were unmissable - not masterpieces - when they came out. In spite of myself, I'm looking forward to seeing this film.

fierce-hairdo -> RE: Hmmmm (14/12/2009 4:55:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

If people care to check the star rating system, 5 stars does not mean 'masterpiece' - it means classic. I don't think I've read a review of Avatar yet which claims it is a masterpiece, howeverit might be entirelyfair to say it is unmissablein much the same way Jurassic Park and Independence Day were unmissable -not masterpieces - when they came out. In spite of myself, I'mlooking forward toseeing this film.

Wow. Talk about splitting hairs! Masterpiece, classic, potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto....

OK, I guess there is a difference between a classic and a masterpiece... but Independance Day was neither (nor was it 'unmissable').

And don't films need to stand the test of time before calling it a "classic"? At least a couple of years... this one isn't even out yet! What's that - a "pre-release classic"???

superdan -> RE: Hmmmm (14/12/2009 5:13:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fierce-hairdo

quote:

If people care to check the star rating system, 5 stars does not mean 'masterpiece' - it means classic. I don't think I've read a review of Avatar yet which claims it is a masterpiece, however it might be entirely fair to say it is unmissable in much the same way Jurassic Park and Independence Day were unmissable - not masterpieces - when they came out. In spite of myself, I'm looking forward to seeing this film.

Wow. Talk about splitting hairs! Masterpiece, classic, potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto....

OK, I guess there is a difference between a classic and a masterpiece... but Independance Day was neither.

And don't films need to stand the test of time before calling it a "classic"? At least a couple of years... this one isn't even out yet! What's that - a "pre-release classic"???

I didn't say it was. I meant at the time it came out it was the film everyone was queuing to see, even for all its faults, and the vast majority of (record breaking) audiences enjoyed it. It is worth bearing in mind as well that it wasn't like a Potter/Twilight scenario where fans of the books will go see the film regardless of any review it gets.
Expecting a 5 star film to be a flawless masterpiece is unrealistic - there would be no 5 star films. It is perfectly fair to place value on groundbreaking effects, visual innovation and spectacle. I guess I'll have to wait until Thursday before I find out whether I agree with the review or not though [:)]

kenada_woo -> RE: Hmmmm (14/12/2009 5:59:40 PM)

OMG This film is poor....5Stars? Pah! Who've they got writing for Empire now? Jackie Chimp?

NOTE: Have yet to see it yet but I enjoy bandwagons hehehe [:D]

Woger -> RE: 5 stars? (14/12/2009 6:20:59 PM)

5 out of 10, boo hiss empire. The effects at least should guarantee it 6.

tommyjarvis -> RE: Hmmmm (15/12/2009 12:02:51 AM)

quote:

If people care to check the star rating system, 5 stars does not mean 'masterpiece' - it means classic. I don't think I've read a review of Avatar yet which claims it is a masterpiece, howeverit might be entirelyfair to say it is unmissablein much the same way Jurassic Park and Independence Day were unmissable -not masterpieces - when they came out. In spite of myself, I'mlooking forward toseeing this film.

How dare you! Independence Day and Jurassic Park are both masterpieces.

Brundlesflies -> RE: Ah, Empire, You're Quite Dead to Me Now (15/12/2009 8:56:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icon

I have bought your magazine for 10 years, the first issue was no 98. You had a feature on people who were extra's in movies. I particularly remember one guy, a red haired chap who had the shit kicked out of him for eating crisps around Begbie in Trainspotting. In those 10 years, I have bought every single Empire issue. I think I missed one. Let's have a quick tot there, shall we? (12 issues x 5)x10 years. 600-5=595. Not bad. I thought it would have been more. Anyway, I say this to prove a point.

I can forgive your relentless Star Wars plugging, your entire office seems to be obsessed with it.
I can forgive you all sucking the ego of Spielberg in the hope that he can ejaculate some presence over your magazine.
I can forgive you flossing yourselves with the hairs from Lucas' ass as he raped my childhood.
And I can forgive you giving 5 stars to Jackson's King Kong, a bloated piece of trash that didn't deserve any attention as well, he made LOTR and that was great.

However, giving this movie 5 stars has provided the final severence to the final tendon that connects your head to your body. Because Empire, you are no longer the magazine that I enjoyed. You are too concerned with staying in the big boys good graces as that keeps your minions jobs secure. I don't blame you, I'm a corporate zone too. I have seen Avatar. It is NOT a 5 star movie. It is a 3 star movie. Cameron was too obsessed with the genius behind his own technology to imbue any wit, feeling, sentiment, anger, hope, love and tonic into this "epic". It is not a good movie. Cameron has Ratnered himself.

As a critical magazine, you failed. You're job is to review what's there. You have become an X-Factor judge. Hewitt, you have probably met Cameron and have him convince you how it's a game changer. Congratulations, he was right. It was. You just said so.

You have already used up one of your three bad movie reviews on Wolverine. I was heartened to see you review that properly. But, it was a second time director and an inoffensive star. You chose well.

Anyway, it's all pointless in the end. You shall continue stroking the egos of the next big thing. The journalists that make up the whole will bite down their true feelings and post a kind review for the greater good.

And I will stop reading those reviews. Would you like my solution? I'd give every writer in there tenure. Let's see you throw some stones then.

Cheers. Bye.

Bye, then. Don't let the door slam on your way out.[sm=rolleyes10.gif]

God, people are really getting het up about this. I'm not going to comment on the film (as I haven't seen it yet - tickets booked for next Tuesday & I'm really looking forward to it) but, my god, people need to get a bit of perspective.

Game-changer or not, it is still just a film isn't it!?! And this review is one persons/magazines opinion of said film - which, to be fair, isn't a million miles away from the general consensus of opinion of most reviewers.

shool -> RE: Ah, Empire, You're Quite Dead to Me Now (15/12/2009 10:11:58 AM)

If people want to get so worked up and throw their toys out the pram that is their prerogative. Seems a little petty to me.

Empire gave Mulholland Drive 5 stars and I loathe it with every fibre of my being. "Difference of opinion shock horror!"

The Hooded Man -> RE: Ah, Empire, You're Quite Dead to Me Now (15/12/2009 10:21:24 AM)

I caught this film last night and it's the very definition of a five star film experience. You really have seen northing on this scale before and while people are saying the story is not up to much and it's all effects, they are wrong.
The story while containing many familiar elements from other films is never less than engaging and it's the first time you really feel you are watching an alien environment or world rather than some cgi created soundstage.
Epic in every sense, it might not be a perfect film (what is) but it's possibly the most breathtaking experience ever at the cinema.

DancingClown -> RE: Ah, Empire, You're Quite Dead to Me Now (15/12/2009 11:10:02 AM)

quote:

I have bought your magazine for 10 years, the first issue was no 98. You had a feature on people who were extra's in movies. I particularly remember one guy, a red haired chap who had the shit kicked out of him for eating crisps around Begbie in Trainspotting. In those 10 years, I have bought every single Empire issue. I think I missed one. Let's have a quick tot there, shall we? (12 issues x 5)x10 years. 600-5=595. Not bad. I thought it would have been more. Anyway, I say this to prove a point.

I can forgive your relentless Star Wars plugging, your entire office seems to be obsessed with it.
I can forgive you all sucking the ego of Spielberg in the hope that he can ejaculate some presence over your magazine.
I can forgive you flossing yourselves with the hairs from Lucas' ass as he raped my childhood.
And I can forgive you giving 5 stars to Jackson's King Kong, a bloated piece of trash that didn't deserve any attention as well, he made LOTR and that was great.

However, giving this movie 5 stars has provided the final severence to the final tendon that connects your head to your body. Because Empire, you are no longer the magazine that I enjoyed. You are too concerned with staying in the big boys good graces as that keeps your minions jobs secure. I don't blame you, I'm a corporate zone too. I have seen Avatar. It is NOT a 5 star movie. It is a 3 star movie. Cameron was too obsessed with the genius behind his own technology to imbue any wit, feeling, sentiment, anger, hope, love and tonic into this "epic". It is not a good movie. Cameron has Ratnered himself.

As a critical magazine, you failed. You're job is to review what's there. You have become an X-Factor judge. Hewitt, you have probably met Cameron and have him convince you how it's a game changer. Congratulations, he was right. It was. You just said so.

You have already used up one of your three bad movie reviews on Wolverine. I was heartened to see you review that properly. But, it was a second time director and an inoffensive star. You chose well.

Anyway, it's all pointless in the end. You shall continue stroking the egos of the next big thing. The journalists that make up the whole will bite down their true feelings and post a kind review for the greater good.

What self-important (plus grammatically bizarre) bollocks.

The Hooded Man -> RE: Ah, Empire, You're Quite Dead to Me Now (15/12/2009 11:19:34 AM)

quote:

And I will stop reading those reviews. Would you like my solution? I'd give every writer in there tenure. Let's see you throw some stones then.

Cheers. Bye.

Oh dear.

broonie -> RE: Ah, Empire, You're Quite Dead to Me Now (15/12/2009 11:54:42 AM)

quote:

Cheers. Bye.

Eh?

Felix -> RE: Ah, Empire, You're Quite Dead to Me Now (15/12/2009 1:16:12 PM)

My lord. That one is gonna take some beating.

Deviation -> RE: Ah, Empire, You're Quite Dead to Me Now (15/12/2009 1:19:26 PM)

quote:

Empire gave Mulholland Drive 5 stars and I loathe it with every fibre of my being. "Difference of opinion shock horror!"

Yeah but you're a lunatic.

Anyway, watching this tomorrow.

Empire, this better be good or I'll kill all of you.*

*not really.

CORLEONE -> RE: Ah, Empire, You're Quite Dead to Me Now (15/12/2009 1:28:34 PM)

And you gave Taken 1 star you bastards!!!!

Jeez, Louise.

Friday Manchester IMAX: Bring it the hell on.

Deviation -> RE: Ah, Empire, You're Quite Dead to Me Now (15/12/2009 1:30:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

That's one star too many, from the little I've seen.[:)]

CORLEONE -> RE: Ah, Empire, You're Quite Dead to Me Now (15/12/2009 1:33:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

That's one star too many, from the little I've seen.[:)]

Renders your statement pointless, dude. Or are we awarding stars for segments of films now? [:D]

shool -> RE: Ah, Empire, You're Quite Dead to Me Now (15/12/2009 1:35:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Yeah but you're a lunatic.

Anyway, watching this tomorrow.

Empire, this better be good or I'll kill all of you.*

*not really.

Pah!

And there was me thinking you werent a big blockbuster kind of guy. I dont think this is going to be a Tarkovsky you know.[;)]

Atomhammer -> RE: Avatar (15/12/2009 1:36:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: eldiabolik

quote:

Roll on next week.

Favourable? Two stars?

Its the only negative one I have read so far.

Im unsure as to what to think as i was underwhelmed in regard to the trailer and everything that came out.

I think my view was tainted with all the 'ferngully / binks' shite thats being doing the rounds online.

Most reviews have proven positive so far, so thats good news and I will hope it overcomes my misgivings.

Fingers n toes crossed [;)]

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI