RE: RE: (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Rgirvan44 -> RE: RE: (11/12/2009 9:57:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Dyer

While the response in this thread was predictable (although far less vitriolic than I'd expected. Come on people, put some effort in), it always amuses me how so many of you can get so up in arms about ratings before you've actually seen the film.

You are calling down the thunder there....

DaveTheStampede -> RE: RE: (11/12/2009 10:01:34 AM)

This may be the dumbest thing I've done on the internet since I gave that Nigerian Prince my credit card details, but I can't seem to let this go:
quote:

ORIGINAL: James Dyer
...if you can watch Avatar in 3D, let yourself be swallowed by the world and still not enjoy yourself then you should probably go pick up a book instead because you clearly don't like movies.

That, Mr Dyer, sums up everything I have found wrong with Avatar and how it has been presented up to and including this point.

There seems to be some sort of... consensus that if you are underwhelmed by Avatar in any way, shape, or form, then you don't like movies.

Perhaps people underwhelmed by it can't watch 3D, and are so tired of all the 'woo!  3D!' that they go into the 2D showing with unrealistic expectations, thus affecting their experience.  Not exactly their fault, more the fault of the 'woo!  3D!' brigade.  Maybe people will watch it in 3D, not care how pretty it looks, and be underwhelmed by the story, or take issue with any and all preachy enviro-crap, or find the acting to be risible.  Perhaps people will spend too much time laughing at the creature design or the dialogue to actually care about what's going on on screen.  I'm saying 'maybe' because obviously I haven't seen it, and thus cannot comment on the finished article.  The review may well be entirely spot on, in which case well done James Cameron, but there are many, many reasons to dislike a film, whilst still remaining a fan of film.

To simply state that if you don't enjoy Avatar you clearly don't like movies is arrogance to the extreme, and that one line has done more to destroy what little enthusiasm I had managed to build up over the last few weeks to see this film than everything else I've seen of it up to this point.

demoncleaner -> RE: RE: (11/12/2009 10:03:20 AM)

James...it's an indicator of how much I love Empire and how much I let it govern my sad little life that I'm raging Empire gave it 5 stars...you know how hard it is to afford December already[:D]  I have to see it now.  Where were y'all when Quantum of Solace was doin' the rounds?   While we're on the subject NOOOOOO WAAYYYY was Ultimatun beter than Supremacy[:D] There's a lot of guys I know hold you accountable for the Ultimatum 5 star thing.  I watched Ultimatum with my da, and he said "we'll your mates in that magzxine you read think its the best".  "Da.  He runs the website".  

hatebox -> RE: 5 stars? (11/12/2009 10:08:37 AM)

Is it just me or does Empire give away far more 5 stars than it used to? Are films really that much better these days?

I'll see this film but for me it'll live and die on the characters and story. No matter what anyone says I feel I''ve reached a point where special effects, however advanced, just don't interest me anymore. I've 'transcended' them, and taken as read they'll be convincing.

demoncleaner -> RE: Its a bit like a drug, I want to go back to Pandora (11/12/2009 10:17:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MyPOV

Saw it last night. Its not perfect, however I guarantee that you will want to see this again. Its is extraordinary in every way. The graphics and effects are the last thing you want to worry about. Idid find myself exclaiming "Fvcking Hippies!" to quote Cartman, and I'm sure many will dismiss it for this, but you cannot help being taken into that world man. My favourite bit(s) was when Jake goes back and forth between being human and his Avatar. When hes back in that world again, you genuinely sigh with relief. I know it sounds cliche, but its a little bit like an escape, quite trippy dude. It has that repeat viewing factor like LOTR and SWs. Anyhoo, enjoy, I'm gonna drag my wife along again next week.

Has it got Daniel Day Lewis tapping his glass-eye with the tip of a suppurating steak knife saying "If you come down here again Mr. Tamanny fucking Hall, I'll dispatch you with mine own hand".  Has it got that in it? 'Cause i'd defo go see that again...for defo!

plum bob -> hmm (11/12/2009 10:22:36 AM)

I will see it, but i'm still not expecting much. it looks an and even sounds like a new star wars. I agree tht if the plot n characters really do suck thn i will hate this film!

grucl -> RE: Internet Fanboys (11/12/2009 10:32:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarDev
I don't need Either the gushing praise of empire or the rabid hate of internet loonies to tell me if a film which very few people have seen is any good.

Then why do you even read reviews?

Macphist0 -> RE: hmm (11/12/2009 10:35:14 AM)

No it doesn't give more ***** than it used too. It's a bit more lenient now due to the lower standards from the industry(but so is Roger Ebert, so give them a break yeah), but for the most part it raves about the right movies.....some duff ones might get the odd ****(Transformers huh). But most of it's recent *****'s, while not the same as a Godfather or Citizen Kane are still worthy of being highly rated (Public Enemies, Jesse James, Zodiac, There Will Be Blood, Let The Right One In etc etc....)

coljohnmatrix -> RE: 5 stars? (11/12/2009 10:38:18 AM)

Predictably, the trolls are out on this thread already. No matter what score Avatar got, they would be unhappy - give it a low score, and Empire is accused of spending months hyping up a crap film - give it a high score and Empire is accused of 'selling out' or 'over-hyping the film' or of simply being 'wrong'. Hell, if they give it 3 stars, they'll be accused of wimping out and not giving it the higher/lower score it deserves.

Grow up people. If you don't trust Empire's reviews, go elsewhere. Personally, I'm going to wait until I've read a few reviews to judge the general consensus. I'm interested because a) Cameron's directing and b) he's promising it's going to push the boundaries...but I'm skeptical beacuse the film itself looks a lot like (to quote The Daily Mash) like a live-action adaptation of a prog-rock album cover.

The Todge -> RE: 5 stars? (11/12/2009 10:41:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Come on Empire!! how can you give this 5 stars?! I mean yeah ok, you've seen the film and we havent, but we've seen all the images and clips online and it definitely only looks like a 3 star film!!!!!11!!!!!

Get a grip people. And remember what the consequences are when accusing Empire of getting kickbacks in return for good reviews. That is a very serious accusation and unless proof is offered alongside it then posters will find their ability to post on this forum severely reduced for a period of time.

Way to sum up an entire bunch of comments there.  Except that most seem to be either looking forward to it or questioning how 3D -nothing more than a cheap gimmick, can elevate a flawed 4 star film to five stars.  And that believe it or not, is a FAIR question.

Really as a moderator you should know better.  If you are going to be so mind bogglingly obtuse, you should learn to be less aggressive with it.

Felix -> RE: 5 stars? (11/12/2009 10:46:15 AM)

What is your sudden problem with me Todge? I suggest you PM me instead of being so bizarrely rude on here.

It was just a reminder to people that the libel rules that apply on the rest of the forum apply to this thread too. I fail to see where it is at all aggressive in the slightest, but after all you're far cleverer than me, you can use words like obtuse.

I'd also like to remind certain users that they cant see the posts we've deleted...

captainamazing -> What is wrong with you people?? (11/12/2009 10:51:27 AM)

This reviewer has actually seen the film. Almost all of you have not - so your reviews are based on speculation at best. You don't know what it is like, so you can't possibly judge it properly. Stop whinging. Films are a creative medium and therefore it is fundamentally impossible to give completely impartial review. Reviews, by anyone, will always carry some opinion of the reviewer. He liked the film. Deal with it. Oh, and adding a star for the 3D aspects makes perfect sense - because seeing it is in itself a sensory experience, just as much as it is a cognitive story-telling. It enhances the film, and therefore makes it better.

elab49 -> RE: 5 stars? (11/12/2009 10:54:12 AM)

Todge, you may have missed the repeated comments - in this thread and elsewhere - that more or less blatantly accuse Empire of fraud and corruption. In that context, perhaps you might better understand Felix's timely warning. Frankly we're all getting rather sick of it - disagree with the review by all means, it's only one opinion against another after all. But that is NOT what keeps coming up on these threads.

Mods have a responsibility to ensure actively libellous statements don't appear on the boards and to warn posters when they are hitting that line.

The Todge -> RE: 5 stars? (11/12/2009 11:05:20 AM)

quote:

What is your sudden problem with me Todge? I suggest you PM me instead of being so bizarrely rude on here.

It was just a reminder to people that the libel rules that apply on the rest of the forum apply to this thread too. I fail to see where it is at all aggressive in the slightest,

I don't have a sudden problem with you Felix.  I have a problem with your posts.  That's not the same thing.

And if you can;t see what was aggressive about this:
quote:

Come on Empire!! how can you give this 5 stars?! I mean yeah ok, you've seen the film and we havent, but we've seen all the images and clips online and it definitely only looks like a 3 star film!!!!!11!!!!!

Get a grip people
.  then I'm not sure I can really spell it out for you.  That's not reminding people not to be libellous, that's pinpointing a section of people who you're basically calling retards.

Oh by the way:

quote:

but after all you're far cleverer than me, you can use words like obtuse.

Nice form but a little rough on the landing, you may have to settle for the bronze.

Macphist0 -> RE: Its a bit like a drug, I want to go back to Pandora (11/12/2009 11:08:45 AM)

quote:

Letís face it; a movie critic, film buff, an audience and a film maker all look at film in different ways. I am BORED TO DEATH with everyone taking pot shots at Lucas, Spielberg, Jackson and now Cameron. Yes many were disappointed with Jones VI, Star Wars I-III, King Kong, Titanic, but there is a difference between cinema and movie magic. This separates these guys from other directors - they are movie magicians. The biggest gap between the director and an audience isnít intelligence its emotional intelligence. I haven't seen Avatar but I want to see it and I'll judge for myself. Whether I like it or not, itís an accomplishment. Whether I am cynical or not, there is nothing wrong with conscientious films that have a message (as a genre sci-fi is social commentary and the impact of technology on humanity), and whether or not Empire gives the film 1 or 5 stars, if I disagree I don't need to create a contentious on the internet so everyone thinks the same as me. I love reading different points of view, I love debates, but the cynical slagging off is just juvenile. (three stars cuz I haven't seen it yet and I have to post a rating).

What you're describing here is Michael Bay......why people were upset with things like Indy IV, Star Wars Prequels is because these guys who were known for being to combine both magic and create a great film have lowered themselves to simply the magic parts and neglecting the process of telling a terrific story as well. Titanic & King Kong had their critics for other reasons, no one would deny their visual greatness like.

Felix -> RE: 5 stars? (11/12/2009 11:08:48 AM)

I have already suggested you use PMs Todge, this is the Avatar review thread. However, I do like you're theory on how you can use sarcasm, but I cant because my name is in green.

tftrman -> RE: Avatar (11/12/2009 11:10:47 AM)

quote:

For the slow amongst you out there, I'm 99% certain he's joking about that. [8|]

In defence of the todge, and probably because it was aimed at me, I actually found this post a little insulting too. Perhaps check what you're typing yourself Felix before accusing others of being rude.

Felix -> RE: Avatar (11/12/2009 11:12:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

quote:

For the slow amongst you out there, I'm 99% certain he's joking about that. [8|]

In defence of the todge, and probably†because it was aimed at me, I actually found this post a little insulting too. Perhaps check what you're typing yourself Felix before accusing others of being rude.

In that case I apologise to you, it wasnt meant to be rude, only humourous. It wasnt aimed at anyone in particular though.

Once again though, keep anymore comments other than reviews of Avatar to PMs.

shool -> RE: Avatar (11/12/2009 11:13:12 AM)

Lets get back on topic people. Any other criticisms can be handled by PM.

tftrman -> RE: Avatar (11/12/2009 11:13:43 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

quote:

In defence of the todge, and probably because it was aimed at me, I actually found this post a little insulting too. Perhaps check what you're typing yourself Felix before accusing others of being rude.

In that case I apologise to you, it wasnt meant to be rude, only humourous. It wasnt aimed at anyone in particular though.

Appreciate the apology, probably just me being touchy.

The Hooded Man -> RE: Avatar (11/12/2009 11:29:33 AM)

Excellently detailed review, certainly whetted my appetite. Let's hope this one is as good as it sounds. Cinema needs Cameron back in the game so we don't have to make do with Michael Bay / Roland Emmerich drivel.

shool -> RE: Has he actually seen the film??? (11/12/2009 11:30:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: OLDIRTYWAG

Or has he just had a look at Aintitcool and re-worded the two reviews there???

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43345

Like most Empire 'news' it's just blatently copied straight from Ol' Fatties website. If Harry could get up out of his chair he'd come and give you a good hiding.

Or they could have seen the same film and noticed similar points. [8|]

Enough with the Empire attacks people.

waltham1979 -> RE: Avatar (11/12/2009 11:50:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Excellently detailed review, certainly whetted my appetite. Let's hope this one is as good as it sounds. Cinema needs Cameron back in the game so we don't have to make do with Michael Bay / Roland Emmerich drivel.

Amen to that!

Being one of the biggest Cameron haters around (don't know why, can't explain it...just don't like the fella for some reason!) really did not want to get excited about this. I was like a lot of other people on this thread, when the first trailer came out I was over the moon because I thought it was shit! But as the full trailer went on line, the pictures and now this review I am getting pretty excited...damn you marketing people...damn you all.........

grucl -> RE: English words (11/12/2009 12:14:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gavmeister

sandpit, not sandbox, you idiot.

I sense much fail in you.

Deviation -> RE: English words (11/12/2009 12:17:04 PM)

Wow, this was................tame.

Come on people, Felix, PA, shool, homer and all the mods need you to act like lunatics, they secretly desire it.[:D] Especially PA and elab.

And Felix, I think I came up with the Von Trier point first, it's a very poor joke and completely out of place.

Anyway, hopefully I'll watch this next week at the "premiere" if I can find anyone to drag with me.

gavmeister -> RE: English words (11/12/2009 12:21:09 PM)

sense away, but sandbox is an American word, the correct English equivalent is sandpit. Empire is an English magazine. Comprende?

UTB -> RE: English words (11/12/2009 12:21:45 PM)

Wow, it usually takes a few more pages before the review gets thrown out and people start turning on each other.

Deviation -> RE: English words (11/12/2009 12:26:01 PM)

I always turn on PA, it's what I always do, it's why I exist, to torment the fella.
[:D]

Anyway, enough of this spamming.

shool -> RE: English words (11/12/2009 12:27:23 PM)

quote:

sense away, but sandbox is an American word, the correct English equivalent is sandpit. Empire is an English magazine. Comprende?

what if the sand is kept in a box and not in a pit? [:D]

gavmeister -> RE: English words (11/12/2009 12:28:51 PM)

pit is the English way of saying box. sandpit and sandbox are PRECISELY the same thing. check a f***ing dictionary

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

what if the sand is kept in a box and not in a pit? [:D]

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI