Spielberg Drops Harvey (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Spielberg Drops Harvey (4/12/2009 6:43:24 AM)

Post your comments on this article

BenTramer -> Jumping The Rabbit (4/12/2009 6:43:24 AM)

I like James Stewart, but "Harvey" is one of his films that never holds my attention. There's no dramatic tension and it's therefore boring. It says a lot that actors like Hanks and Downey Jr. don't want to work with Spielberg. There was a time they would have starred in "Yellow Pages: The Movie" for free just to work with him. My, how the bearded one's stock has fallen. Must have been the crap "Crystal Skull" that did it.

darthmax1 -> Lincoln (4/12/2009 7:36:59 AM)

Just get going on Lincoln already! It seems to be the only project he's consistently been saying he's going to make. And the previous poster's comment is bullshit. Perhaps Hanks and Downey Jr simply don't like the script? Spielberg's reputation has nothing to with it, considering he's y'know, the biggest director in Hollywood.

Funk_Knight -> Spielberg da man! (4/12/2009 8:32:13 AM)

There are many many many reasons why an actor may want to pass up a project. It could be anything not necesarily the script, or the director. Sometimes its quite simply whether the actor feels that the part is for them and they may want to work with Spielberg on the right project. Tom Hanks and Rob Downey Jr are not blindly ambitious so they can make good choices. It doesn't reflect on Spielberg at all. Personally I find that Speilberg is still a master at his craft, even if people now prefer his 'intense' movies/directing over his 'movie magic' style that made him so famous.

dctuck -> (4/12/2009 8:37:04 AM)

I have to say I'm quite relieved about this - Spielberg knows his stuff, obviously, and Hanks and Downey Jr are both good actors (prefer Downey Jr to Hanks myself, but there you go...), but James Stewart's shoes are very difficult ones to fill; I'm guessing the two actors woke up in a blind panic in the middle of the night, agonising over wanting to work with Spielberg on the one hand and attempting to take on Elwood P Dowd on the other. Let's just hope that Fox don't decide they've invested too much time/money in this already and go ahead with it with a lesser director instead...

benj 01 -> Just make Lincoln !!!! (4/12/2009 9:19:35 AM)

Instead of these big shot directrors having lots of projects at the same time why don't they just concentrate on one film at a time.

Timon -> "There's no dramatic tension and it's therefore boring" (4/12/2009 9:27:21 AM)

Sigh... young people today.

Glad Spielberg has dropped the idea of Harvey, perhaps he can finally move on Lincoln?

Biggus -> (4/12/2009 10:20:55 AM)

Why are people so keen for him to do Lincoln?

Leeorami 2.0 -> (4/12/2009 10:23:49 AM)

I'm just glad Oldboy will not be ruined by Will Smith.

boriordan -> pop goes the knee... (4/12/2009 11:23:48 AM)

Hear how Spielberg was holidaying in Ireland a couple of weeks back and he dislocated his knee so one of the locals popped it back in for him. Ha. True story.

velvet227 -> Caged Rabbit (4/12/2009 11:48:36 AM)

Nicolas Cage should be considered--he has the maturity and quirky likability that would give his characterization credence.

batfunk -> More Science Fiction Please! (4/12/2009 12:51:59 PM)

I'd like a few more sci-fi movies from Mr Spielberg. Maybe something literary and spectacular and possibly something smaller too, starring unknowns. I love ideas driven science fiction that doesn't rely on effects. Just watch John Frankenheimer's 'Seconds', possibly one of the best sci-fi movies of all-time, to see what I mean.

rissole -> Oldboy!!! (4/12/2009 1:49:57 PM)

Hang on a minute, a brief mention of Oldboy being off his schedule, where did that come? Unless I misses the report and now cant find it on your site, this is the first time you are reporting it. I would much sooner know why Oldboy fell apart rather than Harvey

sneakertinker -> (4/12/2009 3:51:12 PM)

Sounds like we might be getting a 5th Indiana Jones film then...Clear plate for the distant future and Mr. Ford isn't getting any younger right?

aRTCy -> Lincoln!!! (4/12/2009 4:08:57 PM)

Yes, please bring on Lincoln!!! I want to see that so bad!!!

Sphinx -> RE: Lincoln!!! (4/12/2009 9:00:50 PM)

Ahhhh Stevie, I knew you wouln't let me down!![:)][:)] Harvey is an odd film but that's not the point. Remakes rehashes are driving me bonkers!

....Before anyone starts his WOTW wasn't bad, minus Dakota wailing like a banshee and a sickening ([sm=icon8.gif])harvesting scene it was fine

Edward Nygma -> RE: Lincoln!!! (5/12/2009 9:32:16 PM)

I like the original Harvey, it's a fun, random little film with a terrific James Stewart.
I usually see it at Christmas.

Maybe Steven Spielberg found out there already is a Harvey remake...and it's rubbish lol

Isnt that right, Harvey?

Alistair -> Lincoln!!! (5/12/2009 9:42:31 PM)

I often get the impression that Spielberg likes to piss about. Why doesn't he just get on and make that damn Lincoln film.

ieatlions -> The Message to take from all of this (6/12/2009 9:00:46 AM)

Oldboy will not be ruined. Thank Zeus

leroythemasochist -> something new (6/12/2009 11:36:53 AM)

he should either go back to his roots and make a big popcorn movie or do Lincoln.
Then again... IS Indy 5 the erason for this???

Edward Nygma -> RE: something new (6/12/2009 12:32:26 PM)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

vdjfrancis -> INTERSTELLER (6/12/2009 10:11:00 PM)

steve, how close are your scientists to teaching your script writers the secrets of the universe. Along with Inception, this mate HAS GOTTA BE DONE. A science fact film of the starry sky. Bollocks to Harvey (no one can do Jimmy better than Jimmy including Hanks. Facto.)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI