RE: Can't we all agree on... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

krudler -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 6:11:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Titanic was successful.

so was Meet The Spartans

captainrentboy -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 6:15:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Does everybody like Blade Runner? The Good, The Bad and The Ugly? Alien? Oldboy?

...... Blade Runner didn't really do much for me I'm afraid[&:] I'm not saying it's awful, and I could appreciate why it's held as a classic in some folk's hearts, I mean the end scenes were sublime but the rest didn't blow my mind.

With regards to Aliens, even my girlfriend likes it and she's not big on other 'macho' flicks.

Ohh and I agree with the John Williams statement, he's put together some of the most memorable scores in movie history without fail.

Deviation -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 6:19:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

Titanic was successful.

so was Meet The Spartans

And Lord of the Rings.

elab49 -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 6:27:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy

With regards to Aliens, even my girlfriend likes it and she's not big on other 'macho' flicks.

A female lead, a strong maternal theme and the toughest of the grunts if female too.

I don't really go along with macho. I don't think action films are by definition - just certain types or individual films.  

captainrentboy -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 6:34:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

A female lead, a strong maternal theme and the toughest of the grunts if female too.

I don't really go along with macho. I don't think action films are by definition - just certain types or individual films.  

Yeah I suppose, I was just thinking of all the big mother fudging machine guns, spaceships, Bill Paxton, mech suits and drooling aliens ripping people to shreds, normally she isn't a fan of that type of stuff.[:)]

Deviation -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 6:35:57 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah I suppose, I was just thinking of all the big mother fudging machine guns, spaceships, Bill Paxton, mech suits and drooling aliens ripping people to shreds, normally she isn't a fan of that type of stuff.[:)]

With a high degree of femminism around it....

elab49 -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 6:39:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe she just likes the good ones? [:D]

dark crystal -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 6:40:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheEmpireStrikesJack

Obviously it appears that pretty much every Spielberg film has a few haters here, but what about Jurassic Park - who's got a problem with that??

'Fraid I found the first half slow and boring and the characters insipid and badly written. Also, CGI dinosaurs just don't do it for me...[:)]

swordsandsandals -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 6:46:35 PM)

Aliens is TEH awesomeness. HOORAY!!

And I've not yet met someone that doesn't think Rear Window is at least good.

gunstar -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 6:52:04 PM)

Casablanca?

tommyjarvis -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 7:25:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

The original Matrix..come on, nobody can fucking dislike that.

I don't like that one at all, apart from the 'Guns. Lots of guns.' bit.

TheEmpireStrikesJack -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 7:26:54 PM)

A shame, but no; some stupid twazzock claimed that it was pretentious and stupid, because, as they said, "all silent films are boring [:)] ."
Don't worry, they've been dead and rotting under the sewer grates for a few months now [;)] ...

tommyjarvis -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 7:29:12 PM)

This is obviously the correct answer, however:

[image]http://scienceblogs.com/isisthescientist/upload/2009/01/ask_dr_isis_mr_isis_little_isi/CommandoPoster.jpg[/image]

Sphinx -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 9:13:10 PM)

Alien for one Indiana Jones for another - honestly just wait for all the good quotes and threads, I could talk Indy till judgement day with the obvious exception of Indy IV..............as it simply doesn't exist[8|]

Olaf -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 10:23:45 PM)

Just thinking about this for a moment. Perhaps the internet has effectively killed the notion of a consensus - a film cannot be under/overrated because you're bound to find thousands of people who like/hate it somewhere on the net?  We can never agree on "Film x is great", and maybe this is something to be celebrated, rather than scrutinised?

Except those people who don't like Evil Dead 2. Maybe they're just lying.

adambatman82 -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 11:16:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Just thinking about this for a moment. Perhaps the internet has effectively killed the notion of a consensus - a film cannot be under/overrated because you're bound to find thousands of people who like/hate it somewhere on the net?  We can never agree on "Film x is great", and maybe this is something to be celebrated, rather than scrutinised?

Totally. Pauline Kael wrote an article trying to understand why young people were so attached to the cinema in the mid 1960's, and one of the core reasons came from the fact that there was no precedent opinion, or no external opinion than that of the viewer when it came to enjoying a film. This is what set it apart from literature (which was cinema's big artistic nemesis at the time) in that it didn't have a cannon of acceptable work, and left the viewer free to feel as though they were an authority on something.

LEEJGM -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 11:34:41 PM)

Surely we can all agree that Mary Poppins is a masterpiece family film. Also, can't we all agree that Shawshank is pretty good?

BlueBalls -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 11:43:41 PM)

We can all agree that Alien is far better than Aliens, right?

[:D]

N000000000000000000b -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 11:47:00 PM)

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (12/10/2009 6:13:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

Whisper of the Heart. Even Gimli likes it.

But compared to Only Yesterday, it's not so good.

I think it might easier to come up with a film that nobody hates outright. By that token, I'd be on the side of Aliens. As much as I can't stand the idea of being regarded as better than Alien, and even though the best I can muster is an "It's not bad", I don't hate it.

tommyjarvis -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (12/10/2009 8:33:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlueBalls

Nah. Aliens is better than the rest of the Alien films put together.

elab49 -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (12/10/2009 10:10:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlueBalls

You've seen the length of that argument, yes? [:)]

Pigeon Army -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (12/10/2009 10:47:57 AM)

Surely something like Toy Story or Wall-E or Finding Nemo or Monsters Inc would fit the bill for this argument? Everyone loves Pixar...don't they?

i stole your car -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (12/10/2009 10:53:29 AM)

The Pink Panther

rawlinson -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (12/10/2009 10:58:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I think it might easier to come up with a film that nobody hates outright.

Nail on head. But I wouldn't go with something like Aliens. Go with something so bland that nobody can possibly care one way or another, something so average that it's impossible to work up a hatred or a love for it.

Pigeon Army -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (12/10/2009 11:01:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I think it might easier to come up with a film that nobody hates outright.

Nail on head. But I wouldn't go with something like Aliens. Go with something so bland that nobody can possibly care one way or another, something so average that it's impossible to work up a hatred or a love for it.

Brazil?

*waits for Devi*

Transformerdude1 -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (12/10/2009 11:13:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheEmpireStrikesJack

I was just wondering... what with everybody's conflicting tastes on any film forum and the constant clashes and arguments over, it seems, just about any film ever mentioned... it there not one we can all honestly say we like?

It's probably a stupid question, but surely there must be at least one. Personally, I'm blank when it comes to putting forward a film for such huge evaluation, so any suggestions?

Can you imagine if we did all agree on everything? It wouldn't be much of a discussion board, would it?

Pigeon Army -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (12/10/2009 11:17:37 AM)

quote:

I find all Pixar films a little bland. [:D]

[:(]

There truly is no hope for you, sir.

hatebox -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (12/10/2009 11:51:01 AM)

I want to say 'Trainspotting' but there are doubtless those that don't care for it...

EDIT - also, even if they don't buy into the cult, there surely can't be anyone that thinks American Psycho isn't without its merits...

elab49 -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (12/10/2009 12:01:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

Surely something like Toy Story or Wall-E or Finding Nemo or Monsters Inc would fit the bill for this argument? Everyone loves Pixar...don't they?

The first 2, maybe. But I don't rate Finding Nemo that much. Like is as far as I'd go with Monsters Inc.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI