Can't we all agree on... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

TheEmpireStrikesJack -> Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:25:31 PM)

I was just wondering... what with everybody's conflicting tastes on any film forum and the constant clashes and arguments over, it seems, just about any film ever mentioned... it there not one we can all honestly say we like?

It's probably a stupid question, but surely there must be at least one. Personally, I'm blank when it comes to putting forward a film for such huge evaluation, so any suggestions?

Kazuya -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:36:43 PM)

Raiders of the Lost Ark really, really should be such a film. But sadly there are some misguided souls on here who find it boring(!)

I'd like to say RoboCop as well, but then the "too violent", "too smug" complaints would show up..

Same with Goodfellas..

adambatman82 -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:36:51 PM)

Martin Scorsese once said "I think that if you don't like the films of Sam Fuller then you just don't like Cinema."

Speaking of Scorsese does anyone out there genuinely dislike Goodfellas or Taxi Driver?

Olaf -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:38:31 PM)

We can all agree on Uwe Boll's House of the Dead, I think.

Kazuya -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:39:17 PM)

The original Matrix..come on, nobody can fucking dislike that.

Deviation -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:39:48 PM)

Manos Hands of Fate is crap. No matter if you find it fun or not, it still is crap.

adambatman82 -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:41:59 PM)

I dont like The Matrix, and didn't upon initial release. I just think its incredibly dull. Speed is pretty much the only Reeves' starrer that I would deem satisfactory. Does everyone like Speed?

Dr Lenera -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:42:06 PM)

I love Taxi Driver and quite like Goodfellas though I think it's a bit overrated.

Films everyone likes....I'm tempted to say Jaws and North By Northwest?

adambatman82 -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:43:43 PM)

I dont think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about Badlands on here? Or The Last Picture Show.

Kazuya -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:44:18 PM)

Back to the Future?

Olaf -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:45:34 PM)

Evil Dead 2 obv.

adambatman82 -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:46:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

I love Taxi Driver and quite like Goodfellas though I think it's a bit overrated.

How does the overrated-ness factor or effect your enjoyment? I dont understand how that would be an apt criticism in this context (or in fact an apt criticism anywhere outside of an "overrated thread" online). Are we basically saying that Goodfellas is too good to be considered good? I dont get it.

Baby Bear -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:46:59 PM)

Jaws.

Surely EVERYBODY likes it............................?

Kazuya -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:47:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I dont like The Matrix, and didn't upon initial release. I just think its incredibly dull.

Guess I was wrong then. Oh well.

Deviation -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:52:53 PM)

quote:

You didn't just write that..........say all you want just don't use that word ....[:D]

quote:

No matter how much I like them, I read on this thread those who outright hated Jaws or was underwhelmed by North by Northwest

quote:

dont think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about Badlands

DAMN YOU BIGGUS!

quote:

Evil Dead 2 obv.

Gimli.

Olaf -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:52:56 PM)

quote:

quote:

How does the overrated-ness factor or effect your enjoyment? I dont understand how that would be an apt criticism in this context (or in fact an apt criticism anywhere outside of an "overrated thread" online). Are we basically saying that Goodfellas is too good to be considered good? I dont get it.

I don't think "overratedness" directly affects your enjoyment of a film, more an opinion formed after watching a film. I think it's more a case of enjoying a film but not considering it as good as it's generally made out to be by the majority. I think Goodfellas is pretty good but I don't think it's one of the greatest films ever made like many others do, for example. (of course, a large part of this depends on context as well. The "majority" on this forum would have a different opinion to, say, the "majority" on a non-film forum or whatever.)

Olaf -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 3:53:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Evil Dead 2 obv.

Gimli.

Gimli likes The Da Vinci Code. I think that's worth taking into account.

captainrentboy -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 4:23:11 PM)

Rocky 4, surely at least every guy here must have a special place for that film in their heart.[:)]
Die Hard.
Planes, trains and automobiles.
Aliens.

DazDaMan -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 4:28:37 PM)

I did see some muppet on here saying that Jaws was rubbish. I have since found him and, well.... he won't be posting here, there, or anywhere again! [:D]

richCie -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 4:40:39 PM)

quote:

Martin Scorsese once said "I think that if you don't like the films of Sam Fuller then you just don't like Cinema."

Speaking of Scorsese does anyone out there genuinely dislike Goodfellas or Taxi Driver?

hello.

i also can't stand Back to the Future.

What about Trainspotting? anyone genuinely not enjoy this?

Tech_Noir -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 4:41:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

Raiders of the Lost Ark really, really should be such a film. But sadly there are some misguided souls on here who find it boring(!)

But I love Temple and Crusade. [:D]

Tech_Noir -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 4:42:53 PM)

We call agree that Tech_Noir is a great screen name for a movie forum.

Deviation -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 4:46:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy

Rocky 4, surely at least every guy here must have a special place for that film in their heart.[:)]

Aliens.

Is Rocky 4 as horrible as the first one? You know my stance there.

And I think rawlinson hates Aliens. But he likes Starship Troopers, so the world is saved!

I never was a fan of Trainspotting. It's a good film but some things about it were really upsetting (I saw it a long time ago when I was more sensible) and mostly unpleasent.  know that it should that way but I couldn't warm to it.

Anyway I think we can all agree that Irreversible isn't funny and Manos isn't good.[:D]

Scott_ -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 4:47:24 PM)

Bad Boys II fo sho'.

Does everybody like Starship Troopers? We could just ignore the 'people' who don't and pretend everybody agrees it's great. Also agree with Rocky 4, but Deviation will object even though he hasn't seen it and refuses too, the swine.

Tech_Noir -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 4:48:53 PM)

What??

There's actually someone who hates Aliens??

[image]http://www.cinemaisdope.com/news/films/aliens/aliens.jpg[/image]

Deviation -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 4:49:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

We call agree that Tech_Noir is a great screen name for a movie forum.

It's over-rated.

Jacks Rage -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 4:50:52 PM)

I think most everyone on this forum all "like" a number of films. Its when we use the word "great" that there is a problem. Plus, lets face it, there are some people who are such fanboys that anything that others like as much or more then they're favorite is automatically shit.

And yes boys, we also have to take into account that many girls and woman just don't like the Die Hard's and Aliens of the world.

The two mentioned that I think meet all criteria so far are Raiders of the Lost Ark and Back to the Future. They really do have something for everyone. And yes Kazuya I've seen people call it a bit boring. But, I think thats probably more to do when its praised to the heavens. I'm guessing they probably still do at least like it.

And TESJ, I'm suprised you didn't put forth Empire. Yeah, yeah I know there are people who just don't like Star Wars. But..how many times do you hear the "except for Empire claim" made. Yes, I'm sure there are some fanboys of things that "say" they don't like it. But do they really even count?[:D]

*Edit* Well there goes Back to the Future.

But seriously, how can you hate Back to the Future?

I guess this maybe harder then I thought.

Deviation -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 4:52:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Bad Boys II fo sho'.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
ha.

quote:

Does everybody like Starship Troopers? We could just ignore the 'people' who don't and pretend everybody agrees it's great.

I agree with this.

quote:

Also agree with Rocky 4, but Deviation will object even though he hasn't seen it and refuses too, the swine.

One day you will realise how wrong you are, and you will forgive yourself. No good action, no matter how big it is, will be able to redeem you.

Tech_Noir -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 4:52:07 PM)

We can all agree that John Williams is a very good film composer.

Deviation -> RE: Can't we all agree on... (11/10/2009 4:54:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

What??

There's actually someone who hates Aliens??

[image]http://www.cinemaisdope.com/news/films/aliens/aliens.jpg[/image]

Yes, he is one of the best, most informed, intelligent, knowlegable posters on this forum. It's incredible I know.

quote:

We can all agree that John Williams is a very good film composer.

Absolutely.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI