Up (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Up (4/10/2009 9:09:19 PM)

Post your comments on this article

mystra -> RE: Absolute Genius (5/10/2009 11:51:28 AM)

i can't wait to see this, let me guess...i should take some tissues as it sounds like a weepy!

Can i just say next time this reviewer writes something long...please put paragraphs in...it makes for easier reading, my english teacher used to kill me for stuff like that ;)

spamandham -> wrong once again emp, (5/10/2009 2:27:17 PM)

Would it kill Freer to hit the space bar once in a while?

The review itself is close but no cigar. Firstly Up deserves a ~ 95% scoreline (or 5 'stars' in layman's terms). The film actually get better as it progresses, it most certainly does not start on a high and fizzle off.

As a warning, the starting ~ 5-10 minutes are fucking depressing, hit like an unexpected punch to the gut, and will possibly upset young children if you bring any along, you've been warned.

SQUIRREL!..

The visuals are once again impeccable from Pixar, at time the colours and movement on screen almost appear to become more vivid than reality.

In conclusion, an excellent piece of cinema with broad appeal.

95%

superdan -> RE: wrong once again emp, (5/10/2009 2:34:43 PM)

*sigh* Here we go again. Cue pages and pages of "OMFG WTF is teh revew on about???? Deffo 5 stars Up FTW lol!!!!11!!!"

Jasper_29 -> RE: Pure Cinema (9/10/2009 12:38:12 PM)

Pretty much every Pixar movie falls into the four star category. They're great cinema experiences but for some reason they lack the rewatchability of the better traditionally animated Disney movie of the 90's. Maybe it's because they're more about concepts than storylines.

R W -> RE: Pure Cinema (9/10/2009 7:08:20 PM)

Directors/Screenwriters: Pete Docter, Bob Peterson
Starring: (voices) Edward Asner, Christopher Plummer, Jordan Nagai, Bob Peterson, Delroy Lindo, John Ratzenberger

Synopsis
By tying thousands of balloons to his home, 78-year-old Carl Fredricksen (Asner) sets out to fulfill his lifelong dream to see the wilds of South America. Right after lifting off, however, he learns he isn't alone on his journey, since Russell (Nagai), a wilderness explorer 70 years his junior, has inadvertently become a stowaway on the trip.

Review
As being the most successful CGI animation production company in fourteen years, Pixar has made a series of masterpieces starting with their debut Toy Story and its imaginative-titled sequel Toy Story 2, then their most commercially successful Finding Nemo, to last yearís sci-fi love story WALL-E. They have now done their tenth feature which has finally hit our UK cinemas (about time!). Get ready for Up.

Like the best of Pixarís work, Up has a simple premise that somehow expands into a highly entertaining adventure which provides both comedy and emotion. From the director of another classic Monsterís Inc, the film is considered a personal project for Pete Doctor as he said that the protagonist is partially based on himself by incorporating his frequent feelings of social awkwardness and his desire to get away from crowds to contemplate.

To make an old widowed man as the protagonist in a childrenís film would have been a massive risk, but the character of Carl Fredricksen should be declared as one of the iconic individuals of this young century, and it is because of the adventure he goes through. The first opening ten minutes of the film establishes Carl as a shy and quiet young boy who encounters an energetic and outgoing bucktoothed barefooted tomboy named Ellie. These two kids share the same interest to become an explorer, just like their hero, Charles Muntz.

Despite the promise of the adventure they idealized, these two decide to go on a quiet one as husband and wife. Itís all sweet and lovely, but this happy marriage comes to a tragic end, which leaves Carl isolated from the world around him. These first minutes shows the best of Pixar, in which these characters, though made in a computer, they have pure emotions to make you care. If you donít cry during this memorable sequence, you are barely human at all. I can honestly say that my eyes pricked with tears during this film twice. 

The general theme of Up is about trying reconnect yourself with the world, which is what old grumpy Carl goes through the course of the film as he sparks a friendship with a small group of colorful characters: Russell, a boy scout who just wants to assist the elderly; a hilarious talking dog named Dug (get it?); and a large, flightless tropical bird named Kevin. These characters are voiced so brilliantly by actors who donít have to be celebrities to get their names across, including Edward Asner and Jordan Nagai.

I recently saw Toy Story in 3D a few days ago, which I felt was a decent attempt to reformat an old film that was always described in one word: perfect. Since Up is technically Pixarís first film to be made in this format, it did a much better job at establishing it in several sequences. Whether you think 3D is a good or bad thing, it never hurts the breathtaking animation, which includes shots a house with a thousand balloons floating in the sky, as well as strong motion performances by a group of canines.

Like the other filmmakers working in Pixar, Pete Docterís love of films is expressed in his own, as there are references from King Kong and most obviously Star Wars. There is also a sense of Hayao Miyazaki incorporating into this, as this rather unlikely hero goes into an adventure to enter strange new worlds to escape the difficulties of reality. Hereís a story that blends realism and escapism so perfectly.

Verdict
They have done ten films and still havenít lost their touch as Pixar again bring an imaginative and enjoyable adventure thatís brilliantly funny and beautifully heartfelt. Whether you will see it in 3D or not, youíll still be experiencing a masterpiece.

TheGodfather -> RE: Up (9/10/2009 8:19:57 PM)

Up
Pixar`s tenth feature film opened the Cannes Film Festival this year, being the first ever animation film to do so. The reviews were almost only positive, really upping the ante for the general release.
With the credits rolling past the screen, one can only conclude that the expectations are fully lived up to.

Over the past years Pixar proved more than once that, other than beautiful, ground-breaking animations, they can also deliver on the story front, populating them with real flesh and blood characters. In Up they get to a high point in that. The sequence in the beginning of the film is the prime example of that. We see Carl and his great love Ellie getting older, moving into their little home and grow old together. A truely moving and emotional scene. From that moment on, our anti-hero Carl Fredricksen is a character that you love and sympathise with, no matter how grumpy he is.
Our little friend Russel, together with the dog Dug, gives some comic relief. There is more than enough laughing material in it, but the sad tone is (for animation films) unmatched.

The musical score is beautiful as well, with a main theme that sounds like it could`ve come right out of old Hollywood. A theme that stays with you for a long time and can already be called classic.

We thought that with Ratatouille and Wall-E Pixar had reached its limits and that they couldn`t deliver a better film.
We couldn`t be more wrong, because with a perfect combination of drama and humor they again outdone them selves.
Up belongs to the best that Pixar has done. A masterpiece, and not only in the animation genre.
9,5/10

captainrentboy -> RE: Up (10/10/2009 8:26:59 AM)

Quite simply, I loved it. For me it's Pixar's best one yet, the animation was sublime and the film quite effortlessly bounced around from being bloody funny to heartbreaking in seconds.
Kudos for the action/chase sequences too, as they were some of the most exciting and well thought out ones I've seen in the cinema this year.
5/5

mystra -> RE: Up (10/10/2009 11:37:55 AM)

If you don't cry at the beginning you're not alive!!!

Excellent film, the story actually did remind me of Hayao Miyazaki's work too, I'm not sure why, it just did. Maybe just that sort of escapism that his films have is similar in tone to Up. It's a wonderful story, heartbreaking and humorous, and gloriously animated as only Pixar can. However, the bad guy just didn't really quite work (he was nearly really good, but something didn't click), I don't know why, and the whole thing with the talking dogs was great until they start doing other stuff (flying planes?), which didn't seem to fit. Overall it gets 4.5/5 from me, it's a lovely, whimsical film that will bring smiles with a sad sense of realism thrown in to bring the tears.

BobM70 -> RE: (Fed)Up (2D review) (10/10/2009 8:54:07 PM)

Haven't seen it yet, but the 4 stars Empire (and Total Film) gave it are due to the fact that the extreme high constant quality factor Pixar brings to every new film. We expect the best and when we get it, it feels `normal` . Brilliance with inflation. High quality animation, fine story and great voice acting just isn't enough everytime I guess. But I will have to see it for myself.

adambatman82 -> RE: (Fed)Up (2D review) (10/10/2009 9:08:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spilsburt

Oh dear, Pixar seems to have the lost the plot. What should have been a wonderful experience turned into a basically a boring movie, with some brief flashes of brilliance (all of which you can watch on the trailer). I knew it was a bad omen when the traditional animated short at the start of the film didn't have me laughing.

UP has nothing to capture kids attention on a sustained basis. Old people getting older, old people dying, old people moaning, you get the picture. The sound was far too quite as well, good kids films have plenty of noise to keep them engaged not French music and uninteresting dialogue.
The film also lacked pace as well meaning that you had to wait too long for the uninspired action sequences.
My recommendation; don't bother, especially with under 5's who will quickly become bored with the film and drawn out plot. The 3D version might be more enjoyable but I doubt it...

I saw the film opening night in Paris, at 8 oclock in English with French subtitles. The screening was full, with at least half of the audience being under ten years old, and not one of them spoke out of turn or caused any trouble, in spite of the subject matter and fact that for those guys it was subtitled. I think a lot of people underestimate both the attention capacity of children, and the charm that Pixar's films hold when it comes to appealing to said children.

captainrentboy -> RE: (Fed)Up (2D review) (10/10/2009 11:58:06 PM)

quote:

Oh dear, Pixar seems to have the lost the plot. What should have been a wonderful experience turned into a basically a boring movie, with some brief flashes of brilliance (all of which you can watch on the trailer). I knew it was a bad omen when the traditional animated short at the start of the film didn't have me laughing.

UP has nothing to capture kids attention on a sustained basis. Old people getting older, old people dying, old people moaning, you get the picture. The sound was far too quite as well, good kids films have plenty of noise to keep them engaged not French music and uninteresting dialogue.
The film also lacked pace as well meaning that you had to wait too long for the uninspired action sequences.
My recommendation; don't bother, especially with under 5's who will quickly become bored with the film and drawn out plot. The 3D version might be more enjoyable but I doubt it...

Boooooooo, get out you grouchy bugger [:)]

Something I forgot to mention, Pixar films definitely lure out the adult simpletons for their annual visit to the cinema. When I saw Wall.E last year there was a fully grown man sat behind me who kept going ''Awwwwww'' literally every 5 minutes, really bloody loudly too, basically ruined the film for me.
And last night there was a couple sat in front of me who were in pure hysterics throughout the whole film, I've never heard such simple obnoxious laughter. When the poorly set up tent flings off into the distance they pissed themselves for 5 whole minutes.
Bastards the lot of them.

DJ Rob C: Mark II! -> RE: (Fed)Up (2D review) (11/10/2009 9:44:01 AM)

Simply one of the most entertaining and endearing films to come along this year (well it is Pixar [:D])... beautifully balancing sadness with hysterical humour and not to mention yet more memorable characters (take a bow Kevin and Dug [:D]).... I took my nephew and he loved every minute [:)]

5/5

spilsburt -> RE: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (11/10/2009 7:47:13 PM)

What a dreadful, overlong, try-hard film. This is the reason I don't recommend you watch it. [:D] 

jcallan -> RE: Fcr Kids? (11/10/2009 8:19:31 PM)

Yeah, all kids are too stupid to appreciate these good films [8|]

adambatman82 -> RE: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (11/10/2009 8:27:37 PM)

quote:

What a dreadful, overlong, try-hard†film. This is the reason I don't recommend you watch it. [:D]†

96 minutes was too long for you? You poor sod.

Just out of interest, in what manner did the film try too hard in your opinion?

Paul2j -> RE: Magical... (12/10/2009 8:10:42 AM)

Pixar have never let me down and I doubt they ever will.

The opening montage is painfully realistic, but I don't see how the film that follows could be seen as going down from there. Russell is a superb character, and Kevin and Dugg are both hilarious.

8/10.

Alistair -> Magical... (12/10/2009 8:51:44 AM)

After reading Empire's review I was expected to be sort of let-down after the first ten minutes, but infact I thought it remained brilliant throughout!

Visually, amazing (I didn't expect it to be otherwise), sad, very sad, but also hilarious. That bit where Russell is trying to climb up the rope (and you think he's climbed much further up) is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in an animated film. But the film is littered with great characters in what is PIXAR's silliest romp. I loved it.

PIXAR are amazing. The most consistent film studio in the world. And UP is one of their greatest achievements.

broonie -> RE: A Mind Turned (13/10/2009 12:40:29 PM)

Brilliant film, very enjoyable, had a lump in my throat after the first 5-10 minutes.

(I had only just cleared the previous lump from being charged an extra £2 on top of the £6.50 admission for the 3-D glasses)

I have to say in regards to the 3-D, i didn't think it added much else to the film, in fact the Toy Story 3 trailer before it looked better.

SQUIRREL!!!

Seamus. Pat. -> RE: FLASHMAN (13/10/2009 1:16:59 PM)

[&:] Not too sure about being a classic. 'Cloudy with a chance of meatballs' was continually funny and laugh out loud throughout the duration of the  film yet it does not seem to get the same attention.  -- [:@][:@]Unfair[:@][:@]

DJ Rob C: Mark II! -> RE: Oversold (13/10/2009 1:52:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seamus. Pat.
eg the older Mr and Mrs Muntz taking the trip they have promised themselves for many years and the young kid hitches a ride with them.

You must have seen a different film to me, because Mr Muntz was already there [&:]

adambatman82 -> RE: Oversold (13/10/2009 2:04:58 PM)

quote:

Not too sure about all these good comments. Animations should be fun. To start the movie in such a sad way - wife and kids (8 & 9) crying, extracts the humour from the movie immediately. Some very funny parts but constantly returning to nostalgic memories by Mr Muntz makes the story far too emotional and makes it difficult to laugh all the way through the movie. Very likable characters but I think the story could have been adapted in such a way were there would less tears, eg the older Mr and Mrs Muntz taking the trip they have promised themselves for many years and the young kid hitches a ride with them.
Wouldn't rave about this one - Sorry

I respect the fact that you disliked the film, but you have suggested some very strange amendments. Do you not realise that the entire point of the film was the fact that Carl and Ellie not travelling was the point of the whole film? And whats wrong with a film being an emotional experience? Walt Disney always said that there should be a tear for every laugh, and this is visible in all of the earliest (and best) Disney flicks. This is no different to Bambi, or even E.T. Its good for children to understand mortality. I dont understand why you feel that you need to "laugh all the way through the movie". Is this protocol for every film you see?

Seamus. Pat. -> RE: Oversold (13/10/2009 2:51:40 PM)

Adambatman82 - I totally agree with you, Children should understand mortality. The Boy in the Stripe Pyjamas is a movie, I believe all 10yr olds should watch. But for Christ sake when you take kids to cinema nowadays to see feature length animations, you expect them to laugh continually throughout the movie. I didn't say that I disliked the movie, infact I quite enjoyed it. I only said that it has been overhyped when there have been better animations produced recently. Didn't mean to upset you.[:(]

adambatman82 -> RE: Oversold (13/10/2009 3:12:06 PM)

quote:

Adambatman82 - I totally agree with you, Children should understand mortality. The Boy in the Stripe Pyjamas is a movie, I believe all 10yr olds should watch. But for Christ sake when you take kids to cinema nowadays to see feature length animations, you expect them to laugh continually throughout the movie. I didn't say that I disliked the movie, infact I quite enjoyed it. I only said that it has been overhyped when there†have been better†animations produced recently. Didn't mean to upset you.[:(]

Sorry, i didnt get the memo proclaiming that animated films must continually make children laugh throughout. Good animated films have a heart. Look at all of Pixar's films, theres something that seperates them from the crap like Ice Age and most of Dreamworks output that gives them an edge. And I dont recall Miyazaki flicks being overtly humourous (at least in context).

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Oversold (13/10/2009 3:21:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Adambatman82 - I totally agree with you, Children should understand mortality. The Boy in the Stripe Pyjamas is a movie, I believe all 10yr olds should watch. But for Christ sake when you take kids to cinema nowadays to see feature length animations, you expect them to laugh continually throughout the movie. I didn't say that I disliked the movie, infact I quite enjoyed it. I only said that it has been overhyped when there have been better animations produced recently. Didn't mean to upset you.[:(]

Sorry, i didnt get the memo proclaiming that animated films must continually make children laugh throughout. Good animated films have a heart. Look at all of Pixar's films, theres something that seperates them from the crap like Ice Age and most of Dreamworks output that gives them an edge. And I dont recall Miyazaki flicks being overtly humourous (at least in context).

Indeed. Childrens films do not have to mean "safe" films.

Ezzieblue -> RE: Fcr Kids? (13/10/2009 7:44:13 PM)

I absolutely adore this movie. It had the perfect blend of humor, drama, and action. I laughed and I cried along with the rest of the audience in the theater. Everyone left with a smile on their face once the movie finished. Pixar has got talent and Up is surely to become a classic (of its own). I hope they come out with intelligent movies like this unlike some of the stupid crap we see in theaters these days.

hampstead bandit -> RE: Fcr Kids? (13/10/2009 9:57:57 PM)

saw it yesterday in 3D - which as others have mentioned - did not seem to add much, apart from more money given to the cinema! 

Loved the first 10 minutes - very touching, but then found it became quite generic and a bit bland (as if written just for kids and not adults), a simple story of rescuing the good guy from the bad guy

there were some good / clever bits here and there, a couple of laughs, but I did not find it to be masterpiece many reviews have claimed it is

I found Wall-E to be a much more profound and gripping experience, especially watching it for the second time at home on Blu-Ray

I'd give UP 3/5

spamandham -> RE: Up (14/10/2009 12:18:17 AM)

"Indeed. Childrens films do not have to mean "safe" films."

Yeah! We can't have the little toe rags going away from the cinema too happy, can we now?

[sm=rolleyes10.gif]

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: Up (14/10/2009 2:16:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spamandham

Yeah! We can't have the little toe rags going away from the cinema too happy, can we now?

[sm=rolleyes10.gif]

Well I watched Return to Oz at the cinema and left loving it even though it had scared the shit out of me.
My 8 year old somehow managed to watch Up and also left the cinema having really enjoyed it.
Just because a film is for kids doesn't mean it shouldn't look to entertain them. Giving a film some depth and making the characters more rounded shouldn't be a negative. Without the opening minutes the main character would just be a selfish, grumpy old man who suddenly has a change of heart 3/4 of the way through for no explained reason.

Great film, amazingly touching opening (even more so than Jessie's song) just opens the door for a great adventure with a difference. It's not the run of the mill but then again its Pixar so you shouldn't expect it to be.

Final comment to the poster (Troll?) who said the short at the beginning didn't make him laugh. He must have no pulse whatsoever. It matched Up perfectly moving your emotions up and down, big laughs followed by surprisingly touching moments all in less than 5 mins.

Pixar have done it again.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Up (14/10/2009 2:37:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spamandham

[sm=rolleyes10.gif]

Why not? I don't see why a childrens film can't be sad, scary, funny and action packed all at the same time. The classic kids films tend to have all of these things, while the flash in the pan speak-down-to-the-little-tykes movies may make money when they are first out, but quickly get forgotton.

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
6.201172E-02