The University Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic

Goodfella -> The University Thread (13/9/2009 7:34:57 PM)

Firstly, the word "sponger" is disallowed in this thread.

So university kickstarts again over the next few weeks depending on where you're going. We're back a week Friday and I for one cannot wait after a rather monontous summer, second year should be much heavier but at least it should keep me occupied. What about everyone else? Any first years out there got the nerves ahead of a freshers week, hard to believe it's been a year since I was there, it's flown by. What unis are you all off too? Living in halls? What you studying etc.

Good luck to all those starting this week, if there are any.

Deviation -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 7:37:42 PM)

I'm studying Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy (Honours). Obviously in Malta.

And what does sponger mean? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Goodfella -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 7:40:51 PM)

quote:

It's an attempt to degrade the self-motivation and hard-working attitude of today's university students.[:D]

Deviation -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 7:43:00 PM)

Bet it's said by a bitter middle 30-40 year old human who has a shitty job. Maybe. Meh don't think so.

adambatman82 -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 7:48:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I never realised you were Maltese Dev.

I start my Masters Degree two weeks from tomorrow, although I have a disability induction on friday. Im dreading this disability thing actually, and kind of resent being considered disabled by the university, as I only have dyspraxia, which is technically a learning difficulty, and one that I wasnt diagnosed with until the age of 23. The benefits of my problem far outway the negatives though, so Im in no position to moan!

Im looking forward to being back in full time education. I bought a pencil case a few days ago, and even bought some new clothes yesterday. It'll be a little strange, but Im really excited now.

richCie -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 7:54:25 PM)

I'm off on Friday to university though my course doesn't start till the 28th or something like that
I'm in Sheffield studying Economics and Politics - 1st year, living in halls and all that. i'm fairly excited but I'm sure gonna miss a bunch of people - that and not having to worry so much about money...

clownfoot -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 7:58:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

I'm off on Friday to university though my course doesn't start till the 28th or something like that

That's two weeks getting pissed, meeting people and going to parties. Christ, I miss being a sponger...

Goodfella -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 8:06:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

That's two weeks getting pissed, meeting people and going to parties. Christ, I miss being a sponger...

There's always got to be one hasn't there...[:D]

Enjoy your freshers weeks richie. You'll be lucky to see daylight.

Green Lantern -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 8:09:58 PM)

It is extremely painful to me that I have another two weeks until I go back..well, just under two I guess. Even so, nobody on this planet needs 4 months off of anything. I'm serious..this summer has been so inexplicably boring.

richCie -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 8:30:14 PM)

quote:

quote:

to be fair i think it only actually works out as like 11 days... (i dont move in till the saturday - going up day before cos the rents dnt want to do all that driving in 1 day)
so i'm 3 days short...

actually wat am i saying? everynight is going out night isnt it? first year nyway by the sounds of it...
ohh wat a tough life i shall be leading :P

clownfoot -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 8:33:07 PM)

quote:

Git! [:D]

adambatman82 -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 8:49:30 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

to be fair i think it only actually works out as like 11 days... (i dont move in till the saturday - going up day before cos the rents dnt want to do all that driving in 1 day)
so i'm 3 days short...

actually wat am i saying? everynight is going out night isnt it? first year nyway by the sounds of it...

If you're about on Friday afternoon I will be going into the Showroom for a couple of hours.

richCie -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 8:52:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

so i'm 3 days short...

If you're about on Friday afternoon I will be going into the Showroom for a couple of hours.

this friday?
i think we're staying just outside sheffield so probably not i'm afriad - i will let you know when i'm free though - dont suppose Fish Tank will still be on when i get there? i might miss it this week to be honest as its only on in the evening at the Watershed - and lo and behold i'm out [:D]

Sumintelligentguy -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 9:21:52 PM)

I've said countless times before - so i'll give you the facts.

I go to Leicester University
I study BA English with a year abroad
I'm going into my second year

I can move in whenever as i'm renting a house and i thought about this Sunday but then i went out last night (started off - by the recommendation of Danny Wallace in his book - in Desperados on Upper Street[:D] - which also has the best Nandos) and spent way too much for a student. So i think i might move in on the 27th to save a bit of money.

I can't wait though - i need to find a job coz i'm so sick of sponging off my parents. I spent last year phoning them up constantly asking for money when the year before i didnt ask them for a penny because i had a job.

Being a fresher had a lot of ups and downs - yeah going out most nights was fun but i was ridiculously poor throughout the year. By the end of it, i only went out once or twice a weeks coz i was flat broke most of the time. I also asked one of my housemates if she would cheat on her boyfriend (in a non-suggestive way, i just saw her getting close to guy at the union) - to which she cried her eyes out for about an hour in the kitchen, i felt so uncomfortable - and awful for saying it. I also told a girl i couldn't see her anymore, on her birthday - but lets not get into that...
But Freshers does bring a lot of fond memories, one of the best days of the first year was when i handed in my first essay of the year, i was up late the night before (actually i didnt sleep - naturally) and i was unbelievably stressed, so when i got them in, me and my mate went into town and got pissed, then he met his gf and i went to Nandos to meet my other friends, I turned up drunk but we bonded really well and I've been friends with them ever since - then we went to the union and got absolutely trashed. The Hangover the next day was totally worth it.

I'm looking forward to going back to uni. But not being poor.

adambatman82 -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 9:40:39 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

so i'm 3 days short...

this friday?
i think we're staying just outside sheffield so probably not i'm afriad - i will let you know when i'm free though - dont suppose Fish Tank will still be on when i get there? i might miss it this week to be honest as its only on in the evening at the Watershed - and lo and behold i'm out [:D]

Next week isnt fully scheduled yet, but I would be surprised if it isn't showing. The Third Man is playing on Saturday! I wish I could make it but Im in Leeds. You should sign up as a friend of the cinema when you get your uni card. Its only 16 and you get two free tickets for that and new releases for 2.50 every Friday. Bargain.

richCie -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 9:52:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

so i'm 3 days short...

this friday?

Next week isnt fully scheduled yet, but I would be surprised if it isn't showing. The Third Man is playing on Saturday! I wish I could make it but Im in Leeds. You should sign up as a friend of the cinema when you get your uni card. Its only 16 and you get two free tickets for that and new releases for 2.50 every Friday. Bargain.

cool. i love that film [sm=w00t.gif] shame i'll be busy...
friend thing sounds like a plan - i'll add doing that to my list of things-to-remember-to-do-when-i-get-there-that-doesnt-involve-alcohol.

Goodfella -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 10:00:23 PM)

quote:

I can't wait though - i need to find a job coz i'm so sick of sponging off my parents. I spent last year phoning them up constantly asking for money when the year before i didnt ask them for a penny because i had a job.

I know that feeling mate. I was fine last year because I had worked all summer, saved up and had a part-time job but my main foray this summer has been begging.

Maria Noir -> RE: The University Thread (13/9/2009 11:33:15 PM)

quote:

quote:

I start my Masters Degree two weeks from tomorrow

As of noon tomorrow I am officially finished my MA in Translation Studies. I let you know when I find a job.

adambatman82 -> RE: The University Thread (14/9/2009 12:05:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maria Noir

quote:

quote:

As of noon tomorrow I am officially finished my MA in Translation Studies. I let you know when I find a job.

Good luck!

I've set myself the rather unrealistic target of finding full employment by this christmas. I have two potential employers lined up, one of which pays me on an "as and when necessary" scale at the moment, and the other which is employing me full time for 6 weeks from october, so Im hoping I'll be ok. I go from positive to negative on an almost daily basis though (in terms of employment expectation).

24Dan -> RE: The University Thread (14/9/2009 12:09:00 AM)

2 weeks time im in my second year at NUCA (Norwich University College of the Arts) doing me degree in Film and Video.
I cannot wait to go back.Ive never experienced bored like i have this summer.

adambatman82 -> RE: The University Thread (14/9/2009 12:11:03 AM)

Why was this summer so boring for everyone? I used to love the summer when I did my BA. I worked relentlessly throughout the end of June and July, and then took most of August off. I studied in Plymouth tho, which was lovely in the summer, it was like being on holiday.

Green Lantern -> RE: The University Thread (14/9/2009 12:53:25 AM)

quote:

Why was this summer so boring for everyone? I used to love the summer when I did my BA. I worked relentlessly throughout the end of June and July, and then took most of August off. I studied in Plymouth tho, which was lovely in the summer, it was like being on holiday.

Most of my new friends were broke or away back at home for summer which left me in a monotonous boring routine. I went out a few times, mostly to the cinema but never much else. It all just became so dull and had me longing for a routine, structure and to see most of my new friends again.

Maria Noir -> RE: The University Thread (14/9/2009 2:35:33 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maria Noir

quote:

quote:

Good luck!

I go from positive to negative on an almost daily basis though (in terms of employment expectation).

You too. I know how you feel. Since May I have attended five interviews and have had about twenty other rejections. It's a never-ending roller-coaster of emotion.[sm=happy13.gif]

BishopQuaker -> RE: The University Thread (14/9/2009 10:40:28 AM)

Well my charity is actually based at The University of Salford, as that's where our research labs are.
So, if anyone's starting there or in Manchester this year, make sure you do Jailbreak for KidsCan!

Pigeon Army -> RE: The University Thread (14/9/2009 10:50:26 AM)

I'm in the middle of Trimester Two in little ol' NZ, doing an LLB/BA double degree. I'm not doing any Film papers this trimester, despite it being my major, and am doing a Theatre and a Political Studies paper instead. Also doing Public Law and Criminal Law. Most of it is good, but fuck Public Law. FUCK IT.

FUCK IT.

losthighway -> RE: The University Thread (14/9/2009 11:31:23 AM)

I'm going to the University of Salford to study Occupational Therapy. I'm almost 30 and a mature student, so i'm hoping there'll be some people closer to my own age/older!? It's the second time i've been to university, I graduated from my first degree eight years ago.As for being a sponger/tax dodger, well i've worked non-stop since I was 16, throughout college, my first time at university and throughout my 20s too so i've paid my taxes/dues and anyone who wishes to call me as such can [sm=mad45.gif] I have to admit, i'm really looking forward to going back to university, I really think this second time around will be better than the first due to me being older/less naive/etc.

shool -> RE: The University Thread (14/9/2009 11:36:54 AM)

I'm permanently enrolled in the university of life. Hopefully wont be checking out just yet. [:D]

Pigeon Army -> RE: The University Thread (14/9/2009 11:40:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

I'm permanently enrolled in the university of life. Hopefully wont be checking out just yet. [:D]

[image]http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/8/10/128944445028012307.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.knitemare.org/cats/JazzHandsCat2.jpg[/image]

[:D][;)]

shool -> RE: The University Thread (14/9/2009 11:49:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

[image]http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/8/10/128944445028012307.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.knitemare.org/cats/JazzHandsCat2.jpg[/image]

[:D][;)]

I have no idea what that means so i'll be polite and say thankyou. [:D]

kumar -> RE: The University Thread (14/9/2009 5:34:45 PM)

I have a job and I am fit and well and I feel great. I live at home now and I have a car. I have got myself organised and looking forward to my final year (this time round) at university. Term starts on the 22nd and cannot wait to get started... 8 more months and im finished and I can move on to other things and an even better life.
Having said that tomorow I am off to Cambridge to see the university there, so it might be the case i stay on for possibly another 4 years worth of studying. Cant wait [sm=indifferent08.gif]

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI