The Corner - David Simon's first HBO programme (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Dave B -> The Corner - David Simon's first HBO programme (9/9/2009 6:57:34 PM)

Having fallen in love with The Wire I had to seek out everything else David Simon has done. So I read his two books (Homicide and The Corner) and now I've just finished watching the mini-series adaptation of The Corner.

While it's nowhere near as good as the book, which is a stunning and heartbreaking character study, it is clearly an important TV show. Less entertaining and Mike Leigh-esque than The Wire, it still packs an emotional wallop as we see the lives of this family fall apart and get back together again. It tough viewing at times and it gets all the major beats from the book. However the story, which doesn't have the clear narrative of The Wire, it far more suited in book form and the show suffers slightly as a result. Still if you haven't seen it then I highly recommend giving it a try but be prepared as it takes a lot of effort to watch.

elab49 -> RE: The Corner - David Simon's first HBO programme (9/9/2009 8:30:48 PM)

I'm kind of stunned this didn't get a thread of its own when FX showed it - a couple of months ago now I think?

I agree it has to be seen - given the fighting talk of the drug war at the time it basically sinks the ridiculous argument being made by an administration that didn't understand what the problem was. So even though some of the 'documentary' q&a bits in it are occasionally slightly hamfisted (and I wasn't a fan of ending on the real people to be honest), it is powerful TV.

Captain Black -> RE: The Corner - David Simon's first HBO programme (9/9/2009 9:28:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'm kind of stunned this didn't get a thread of its own when FX showed it - a couple of months ago now I think?

One of yours actually.
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2171905

elab49 -> RE: The Corner - David Simon's first HBO programme (9/9/2009 9:31:33 PM)

I think the only possible response to that is completely delete this thread, ban Dave B so he can't ask questions and then update the index at the top of the page whilst whistling nonchalantly.

[sm=08.gif][sm=34.gif]

Dave B -> RE: The Corner - David Simon's first HBO programme (10/9/2009 8:19:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I agree it has to be seen - given the fighting talk of the drug war at the time it basically sinks the ridiculous argument being made by an administration that didn't understand what the problem was. So even though some of the 'documentary' q&a bits in it are occasionally slightly hamfisted (and I wasn't a fan of ending on the real people to be honest), it is powerful TV.

Yeah I meant to mention that the final scene is completely naff. It's like the ending to Schindler's List (ironically the film Gary goes to see in the series), ramming home the point which has already been made. I also hated the fake interviews, seemed very contrived, silly and badly acted (apart from that the acting is flawless, up their with everyone in The Wire).

Still the makers learnt from their mistakes. I'm rewatching all the The Wire and then it will be on to Generation Kill, which I can't wait to see.

quote:

I think the only possible response to that is completely delete this thread, ban Dave B so he can't ask questions and then update the index at the top of the page whilst whistling nonchalantly.

[&:][8|] but, but......

elab49 -> RE: The Corner - David Simon's first HBO programme (10/9/2009 9:28:32 PM)

I locked the other one and added this - only fair really.

Now. Where's Mr Ban Button......

furrybastard -> RE: The Corner - David Simon's first HBO programme (4/8/2012 4:06:43 AM)

Very sad news.

http://davidsimon.com/deandre-mccullough-1977-2012/

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI