Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Timon -> Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (2/9/2009 3:35:49 PM)

There have been over 50 Tarzan films made, but as far as I can see there has yet to be a truely good one.

One that captures the danger and wonder of a young man raised by beasts, the duality of man and nature, the perils of the jungle...

The old 50s ones were a bit hokey with Tarzan speaking perfect English, Greystoke was a bit rubbish, the Disney one was good enough allowing Tarzan to do things no real human could do and the Casper Van Dien one was.... yes, well.

Del Toro was rumoured to be doing one, but then passed it to Stephen Sommers, so before he butchers what could be a potentially epic film, is there a decent Tarzan film out there? At all?

[image]http://www.heroicfineart.com/catalog/images/Jusko_Tarzan_and_the_Golden_Lion.jpg[/image]

CORLEONE -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (2/9/2009 3:54:59 PM)

Lemme guess: Brendan Fraser for Tarzan? Fuck.

Maria Noir -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (2/9/2009 4:09:07 PM)

I'm just putting this suggestion out there, but after Apocalypto I think Mel Gibson would have a good stab at a Tarzan film complete with jungle action sequences and lots of violence.

xClaudiax -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (2/9/2009 4:12:56 PM)

My first thought too. Good thread, it's a classic story that's never truly been done justice.

adambatman82 -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (2/9/2009 4:16:10 PM)

I went to an exhibition in Paris celebrating Tarzan over the summer. It was at the Musee de Quai Branly, which is basically the natural history museum of France. It was really good, and explored the characters depiction throughout all media through the ages.

There's a look at it here -

http://www.wvgazette.com/Entertainment/gazzart/200908130715

Squidward Hark Bugle -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (2/9/2009 4:22:00 PM)

Disney's Tarzan is perfect.

Maria Noir -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (2/9/2009 4:27:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

Any film whose theme song is sung by Phil Collins is not perfect.

Timon -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (2/9/2009 4:43:19 PM)

Hey, I like Phil Collins... sort of!

But I'd agree that Disney's Tarzan appears to be the most entertaining in terms of story and conflict. It's just I'd love to see a live action version sans talking elephants. The documentary on the DVD has some fantastic concept art, but I can't seem to find any online.

[image]http://www.davidbovey.com/images/tarzan2.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/1999/images/tarzan2.jpg[/image]

Snake-Eyes -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (2/9/2009 5:08:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

For me, it's a great film but FAR from perfect! It has some spectacular animation and action sequences but I can't stand Rosie O'Donnell's annoying sidekick gorilla! My personal favourite TARZAN film is still Greystoke - again, not perfect but a good attempt at the character's darker mythos.

Hood_Man -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (2/9/2009 5:35:11 PM)

I adore Disney's Tarzan. Stunning animation, catchy songs and a terrific story. The Son of Man coming of age sequence was ace!

For me it's just below Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid and Aladdin from the Disney Renaissance period.

Dave B -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (2/9/2009 6:46:09 PM)

The Disney version of Tarzan will always be tainted by Phil Collins, especially that he won the Oscar over Aimee Mann. Not on.

quote:

Lemme guess: Brendan Fraser for Tarzan? Fuck

[image]http://www.catsandbeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/george_of_the_jungle-poster.jpg[/image]

Shifty Bench -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (2/9/2009 8:11:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Hey, I like Phil Collins... sort of!

You know, I don't think I have ever mentioned it before maybe due to shame but I actually do like Phil Collins. His stuff with Genesis and 80's solo stuff anyway [8|]

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (2/9/2009 8:17:48 PM)

any Tarzan movie made in the future will have awful CGI animals. I just cannot see a live action tarzan movie being made without CGI animals being used. Even Del Toror would've done it.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (3/9/2009 3:12:54 AM)

Quite pleased to see the love for the Disney Tarzan here - very underrated movie. 

grucl -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (3/9/2009 7:21:57 AM)

Bo Derek in Tarzan, the ape man!

Kidding...[:D]

Tech_Noir -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (3/9/2009 7:27:35 AM)

I want Tarzan vs Predator

cameron goes berserk -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (3/9/2009 9:05:15 AM)

I'm sure the Wayans brothers have an Apeman Movie in the pipeline....

kaner316 -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (3/9/2009 12:04:06 PM)

i think one way to go with it wuld be to do it as a fake documentary. there is huge scope to use the concept of a man disconnected from the rest of humanity as a mirror to highlight societies issues. not overly seriously, you could add a dramatic arc seen from the doco teams point of view, but do it digital, on location, with practical and realistic stunts, almost hand held, it could be quite cheap, done independently and would be a hell of a lot more interesting than whatever Sommers has planned for it. I don't really want to see someone like Zac Efron swinging from CG trees on a CG rope wearing a CG loincloth.

spark1 -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (3/9/2009 12:56:28 PM)

the tarzan with connery as a villian and 'greystoke' plus early weismulller movies.

LEEJGM -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (4/9/2009 1:35:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaner316

i think one way to go with it wuld be to do it as a fake documentary. there is huge scope to use the concept of a man disconnected from the rest of humanity as a mirror to highlight societies issues. not overly seriously, you could add a dramatic arc seen from the doco teams point of view, but do it digital, on location, with practical and realistic stunts, almost hand held, it could be quite cheap, done independently and would be a hell of a lot more interesting than whatever Sommers has planned for it. I don't really want to see someone like Zac Efron swinging from CG trees on a CG rope wearing a CG loincloth.

That, in my opinion, is a brilliant idea. 

Shifty Bench -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (4/9/2009 2:52:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Lemme guess: Brendan Fraser for Tarzan? Fuck.

It'll probably be Channing Tatum after GI Joe.

rick_7 -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (4/9/2009 3:28:38 PM)

The old MGM ones were pretty good. I like the notorious Tarzan and His Mate, which was reshot and heavily cut after early previews showed Tarzan and Jane running around in the nip. That was largely what inspired the strict implementation of the Hays' Code from 1934. Sequel Tarzan Escapes is pretty good, but was also cut after preview audiences found its extreme violence sickening, and children were terrified by the vampire bats. The bats had to go, so although we see Tarzan and co muddied and bloodied at the end, it's not very clear why.

The RKO films have weaker production values, but the first two, in which he battles the Nazis, are fun. I've got the box-set!

Might I also recommend the best book I've read this year, Me Cheeta, in which the 76-year-old chimp of the old MGM flicks tells his own story. Moving, acerbic and excruciatingly funny.

directorscut -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (4/9/2009 3:36:48 PM)

The Tarzan films starring Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan are generally very good, especially the first two Tarzan the Ape Man and Tarzan and his Mate which are great adventure films.

Sphinx -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (4/9/2009 8:53:57 PM)

Greystoke ain't bad as a Tarzan film- Who played Tarzan in the 60's? They used to have a few of them on Ch4  but not anymore

Timon -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (8/9/2009 11:05:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

The Tarzan films starring Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan are generally very good, especially the first two Tarzan the Ape Man and Tarzan and his Mate which are great adventure films.

[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QV10J7DPL._SS500_.jpg[/image]

So this would be a decent purchase?

spark1 -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (8/9/2009 12:18:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

Greystoke ain't bad as a Tarzan film- Who played Tarzan in the 60's? They used to have a few of them on Ch4  but not anymore

jock mahonny and gordon scott did tarzan fliks in 60s.

rick_7 -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (9/9/2009 10:24:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QV10J7DPL._SS500_.jpg[/image]

So this would be a decent purchase?

It would (though I do find the first film extremely stilted and over-reliant on back projection) - but with the caveat that the BBFC has heavily cut most of the movies in the set on the grounds of animal cruelty. I don't want to watch animal cruelty (and I'd rather those bits had never been filmed, at least not in that way)... but I do want to see the films as the grasping, maltreating studio intended, so am holding out until I can afford the R1 set. The follow-up box-set, also on Warner Home Video, and passed entirely uncut, collects the six silly, but very entertaining RKO entries, where Tarzan does battle with jungle queens, giant spiders and Nazis (twice).

Timon -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (12/10/2011 2:40:13 PM)

Tarzan battles Nazis?! Ooooh.

So how much is that R1 boxset you mentioned?

Sutty -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (16/10/2011 11:06:11 PM)

Great thread. I was actually thinking about this the other day. About how utterly fantastic a truly great Tarzan movie would be. Just imagine what could be done with it!?!? Somewhere out there someone has to be writing this opus. Given the proper treatment a Tarzan movie could be truly stunning. It has certainly got my noodle baking now!
I'd go for the classic storyline, but make it gritty. Tarzan Begins??!!

Invader_Ace -> RE: Is There A Decent Tarzan Film Anywhere Out There? (17/10/2011 11:29:46 AM)

Most of the Tarzan films are less bonkers than the books.  Tarzan speaking perfect English isn't that hokey since in the first book he learns perfect French and English and by the 2nd is Spy for the Government who ends up fighting a race of mongoloid sun worshippers.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI