50 Greatest Sequels (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online

James Dyer -> 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 4:38:52 PM)

Whether followed by Roman or Greek numerals or followed by its very own subtitle, the sequel comes in for a lot of stick. "Cynical cash-in" is one criticism often levelled; "lesser sibling" is another. But here are the sequels that make the grade, the follow-ups that put the emphasis on "up" not "follow".

Note: We have disregarded films that are really all of a piece, like Lord of the Rings and Kill Bill, and also series that share elements but restart each time, like Carry On or Three Colours. Which is why they'e not there - before you all kick off!

http://www.empireonline.com/50greatestsequels/

eldiabolik -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 4:50:12 PM)

Aliens, better than Godfather 2?

You've got to be kidding. But then again, I should have known, being that Empire is fanboy central.

eldiabolik -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 4:53:11 PM)

Also, you can't trust a list that has Return to Oz ahead of Infernal affairs II.

80's nostalgia must die.

Ethanial -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 4:56:42 PM)

No Clerks II but you can throw in Airplane 2? And of course Dark Knight would be close to the top...

eldiabolik -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 5:00:29 PM)

I can think of 100 sequels better than Clerks 2.

Don't forget, Airplane 2 has added Shatner, Clerks 2 can't compete with that! (and that scene where Striker is posing for the painting)

igotnewlegs -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 5:08:29 PM)

Good call at number one and a good list overall (though I would get rid of all Harry Potter mentions!).

C K Dexter Haven -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 5:10:32 PM)

What; no From Russia with Love?
No Two Towers.
Not even Pulp Fiction - when after all, isn't Vincent Vega the brother of Reservoir Dogs' Mr Blond, Vic Vega?
And perrrrleeeeeeezzzz - The Godfather Part Two is absolutely, positively the daddy of all sequals.
You're nothing to me now Empire. Not a brother, not a friend, nothing.

eldiabolik -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 5:12:45 PM)

Big fat glaring omission MAD MAX 2.

Rinc -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 5:16:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: eldiabolik

Also, you can't trust a list that has Return to Oz ahead of Infernal affairs II.

80's nostalgia must die.

Return to Oz should be higher, it's fantastic.

eldiabolik -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 5:17:38 PM)

Another huge omission, and probably the second best sequel ever made after the Godfather part 2: Bride of Frankenstein.

eldiabolik -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 5:20:08 PM)

And not forgetting all the great Antoine Doinel sequels to 400 blows.

eldiabolik -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 5:22:27 PM)

A Better Tomorrow part 2.

pete_traynor -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 5:29:33 PM)

I couldn’t agree more with the number one choice as Aliens is both the greatest sequel and the greatest collection of moving images that my eyes have ever had the pleasure of witnessing. In cinematic terms it is, for me, perfect. But do correct me if I’m wrong but were neither ‘The Two Towers’ or ‘The Return of the King’ in that list. If this is the case that is, as Andre so eloquently put it, Insania!!! And as good as Dark Knight is I think you’d have to be pretty fucking insane to put it above Empire Strikes Back… the very definition of crazy talk!

igotnewlegs -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 5:30:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: C K Dexter Haven

1. What; no From Russia with Love?
2. No Two Towers.
3. Not even Pulp Fiction - when after all, isn't Vincent Vega the brother of Reservoir Dogs' Mr Blond, Vic Vega?
4. And perrrrleeeeeeezzzz - The Godfather Part Two is absolutely, positively the daddy of all sequals.
You're nothing to me now Empire. Not a brother, not a friend, nothing.

1. The Bond films aren't sequels. Only Quantum of Solace can really be counted as one and that's pants.
2. Read the first post on the forum. James states that these were not included, for good reason. Though I'm not sure the set up is all that different to Star Wars.
3. Pulp Fiction definitely can't be counted as a sequel. Think you're clutching at straws there!
4. In your opinion. For me Aliens is one of the best films ever made, let alone the best sequel. There are no facts here.

eldiabolik -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 5:31:43 PM)

I'll stop adding titles, but I must add these omissions first.

Quatermas and the pit.
Pusher 2.
Pusher 3.
Magnum Force.

igotnewlegs -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 5:33:48 PM)

Eldiabolik, of all your suggestions I'd agree that Mad Max 2 deserved a place in there. Not sure about the rest. Perhaps in Sight and Sound they would have got a mention.

roper -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 6:21:44 PM)

Okay, we need Silence of the Lambs, Beverly Hills Cop 2, From Russia with Love. Prisoner of Azkaban blows, so that come out. Last Crusade is better than Temple of Doom, Ultimatum whips Supremacy and if there's room for the mediocrity of Shrek 2 then we can fit in Matrix Reloaded.

Snake-Eyes -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 6:32:01 PM)

MAD MAX 2. THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY. The F**king Clue you people don't have. 'Day of the Dead' and 'New Nightmare'? Yeah Ok.

Whistler -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 6:46:39 PM)

I was surprised that Aliens was #1, not as good as the first by far.  Thought for sure Godfather part 2 would be.  Pretty good list here anyway, apart from the order of a few of them.  

crazymoviesdude -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 6:51:15 PM)

I'm pretty happy with that list.

I've not heard, and nor can I find any slither of proof that Monsters Inc 2 is in production or has been greenlit. I know Disney wanted to make it at Circle 7, but I'm sure that was stopped with the merger, no?

The_Hat -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 7:05:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: eldiabolik

Another huge omission, and probably the second best sequel ever made after the Godfather part 2: Bride of Frankenstein.

Yes, my quick, post-"Godfather 2 second? What the fuck?" ponder as to the number 1 one spot touched upon Bride of Frankenstein.

The omission of the wider Bond franchise is understandable, but what about the first 2 sequels in the series? From Russia With Love and Goldfinger - both great films, both miles better than Dr. No.

I can also guarantee that they are kicking themselves at Empire for forgetting to include Mad Max 2 and the Dollars sequels. And probably also for using a still from Superman 3 for the Superman 2 entry.

Scruffybobby -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 7:34:24 PM)

Yet another list, yet more whinging. Nice to see Back To the Future 2 get some recognition though. That was a film ahead of it's time.

eldiabolik -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 7:49:50 PM)

I know it sounds whingy, but any top 50 sequel list that omits classics like Bride of Frankenstein, Mad Max 2, For a few Dollars More, the Good the bad and the Ugly and A Better Tomorrow part 2, is quite simply not worth the paper its written on.

Don't forget, this is put together by professional film journalists.

SpiderBat -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 8:02:46 PM)

THE ROAD WARRIOR
I'd have it in the top 3 somewhere between Aliens and Godfather II.
I list this list - nice to see mentions for lost gems like Gremlins 2.

fireworm4evr -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 8:36:42 PM)

Wtf! Prisoner of Azkaban the best harry potter movie!? noty a chance the first two stuck to the books completely and no's 5/6 are way better than 3 

spyvsspy -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 9:12:36 PM)

Im gutted weres Ghostbusters 2 in this list?

luke_flyporker -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 9:28:57 PM)

Glaring error #1: Joel Schumacher only directed 2 Batfilms, not 3.

Glaring error #2: The "Superman II" picture is actually from Superman III.

Good article though, I agree with almost all the choices.

Sphinx -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 9:40:05 PM)

Shoulda seen that coming but I didn't! Ripley over Corleone, Vito, Bobby D's powerhouse who'd have thought it?

darthbane -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 9:42:04 PM)

Mad Max 2 should certainly be on the list. I'm completely split as to which is the best sequel, The Empire Strike Back or Aliens. They are both high on the list though, so it's not to bad.

And The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is a prequel not a sequel.....

but then again so is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
[&o]

Dave B -> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels (18/8/2009 9:43:29 PM)

Considering the list included loads of films that aren't better than the originals, the absence of Mad Max 2 is even more bewildering as it's a million times better than Mad Max.

Also the most underated sequel is Exorcist III and that's nowhere to be seen. Brad Dourif if amazing, the plot is interesting and doesn't retrend the first film, it wipes away Exorcist II and it has at least two very, very, very scary moments. Better than the original perhaps.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI