G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra (2/8/2009 5:50:04 PM)

Post your comments on this article

kenada_woo -> RE: Ruddy Good Fun! Nearly got to 4 stars.... (2/8/2009 7:18:11 PM)

GI JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOE!!

Cant wait for it personally [8D]

jaypar93 -> RE: Ruddy Good Fun! Nearly got to 4 stars.... (3/8/2009 12:25:07 AM)

Meh...I never was a big G.I. Joe fan. I wouldn't understand the fiction and I hate Dennis Quaid.

Blyman -> RE: 4 stars seroiusly?????????????? (5/8/2009 3:04:29 PM)

Firstly, have you even seen the film? If not what qualifies you to judge our opinions. Secondly your points are totally valid against rubbish like Transformers 2, Termination Salvation, Angels and Demons and Wolverine. But GI Joe, having actually seen it, is precisely a good romp. No one is saying its a classic but it more then entertains for a couple of hours, unlike the incredibly long and worst of all, boring, aforementioned features. Indiana Jones is popcorn entertainment perfection (not including the pathetic fourth instalment) and its like is sorely missed. So chill out unless you've actually seen GI Joe, and if you have well then I'm not sure why you bothered knowing what type of film it would be.

Death_Row_Marv -> RE: 4 stars seroiusly?????????????? (5/8/2009 3:55:36 PM)

Yes I have seen it.  Though i really wish i hadn't.  Went to a staff showing at the cinema where alot of my friends work and we went to see just how bad it was.  And it was evry bit as bad as we thought.  The only decent pop corn film I can think of this year was Star Trek.

Blyman -> RE: 4 stars seroiusly?????????????? (5/8/2009 4:07:08 PM)

Fair enough then. I still defend GI Joe on the basis that it doesn't set out to take itself seriously unlike most of the recent blockbusters. And I agree with you about Star Trek, easily the best summer flick of 2009.

The Hooded Man -> RE: 4 stars seroiusly?????????????? (6/8/2009 2:21:14 PM)

CGI Joke is an appalling film.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: 4 stars seroiusly?????????????? (6/8/2009 3:15:23 PM)

Do the Cobra troops ever shout COOOOBRRRAAAAA!!!

This is a crucial point.

Deviation -> RE: 4 stars seroiusly?????????????? (6/8/2009 3:21:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blyman

Fair enough then. I still defend GI Joe on the basis that it doesn't set out to take itself seriously unlike most of the recent blockbusters. And I agree with you about Star Trek, easily the best summer flick of 2009.

To be honest, Dark Knight aside, which blockbusters took themselves seriously?

kenada_woo -> RE: 4 stars seroiusly?????????????? (6/8/2009 4:19:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Do the Cobra troops ever shout COOOOBRRRAAAAA!!!

This is a crucial point.

Nope...because its the RISE OF COBRA!  hahaha.

Just got back from watching it and being that I'm probably the only one who likes Stephen Sommers films, I have to report I had a massive blast watching this.

Having seen the cartoon movie a million times as a kid (you know, the nasty one where Duke gets the snake spear into his chest) I had a knowledge but not a massive amount going into it.  So if you're like me and you've seen the original cartoon movie, you know there's a lot in common - ie it has lots of funky gadgets, LOTS of action explosions, and OTT mass battles in over elaborately built boss bases.

There's some cracking action in this film - the highlight being the chase through Paris.  The gadgets and gizmo's (I want an Accelerator Suit) from the cars, ships, guns, suits, all work well and are used to great effect throughout the film in action scenes that you can actually see and know what's going off in them.

Basically, its called GI Joe...there's a scene when Snake Eyes and Shadow Storm 1st clash...and there's a cheeky flashback to them as kids whopping each other - smash cut to Baroness VS Scarlet roundhousing each other.  Now, if you're not having fun by that point (only 20minutes in), then you might as well leave because THAT's the kind of film it is - fun.  It also got me thinking of seeing Masters Of The Universe on the cinema those many moons ago.  I dont know why, maybe because its Hasbro and the figures look similar in some way but the opening 10minutes just reminded me of it for some reason (maybe just me).

Anyway, there's a certain charm with the film too.  There are many one liners and jokes that lighten the tone (the Baroness telling a bystander to "get out you bitch" before telling her "like your shoes" is one of a few nice little touches).  But what really works are the characters.  They range from fun to bad arse while never being annoying and are actually likeable - even the villains.  They're also easily distinguishable, will have the 1 memorable action moment, and they even have nasty backstories that make them all double cross and hate each other. Highlights are the Baroness (Sienna Miller has a LOT of fun with her) and the obvious 2 being Storm Shadow (played by one of my fav actors Byung-Hun Lee) and Snake Eyes (the badarse Ray Park).  It sounds like a cartoon, and it is.  But if you're expecting Dark Knight 2 level of character depth then save your ticket money (and dont be sly and say I use my Orange Wednesdays pass, you know what I mean).

Its not perfect and yes there are plenty of CG-Sommers-I - unfinished and rushed FX throughout the film, but the FX they count when they matter.  The finale underwater battle was very good IMO, just reminded me of Star Wars space battles but underwater.

Its also surprisingly brutal.  There's about 3 exploding heads in the film (dont be expecting Scanners exploding heads, but they're there), face and eye stabs, stabbings, slashes, melting heads, and the Storm Shadow/Snake Eyes flashbacks as kids is fairly nasty as the kids dont half web the shit out of each other even with nunuckas  - a bit harsh in some places but very cool. 

Overall what it is, is a fast paced movie with lots of explosions, great action, and a knowing charm that almost gives you a sly wink and nod as mass destruction ensues.  Like I said, if you like the cartoon, big dumb action films with cool gadgets, ninjas, sexy women who wear tight outfits, and villains with metallic faces you'll thoroughly enjoy it.

Remember kids...its a GI Joe movie.

****/*****[8D]       

Death_Row_Marv -> RE: Brilliant Fun (7/8/2009 8:25:47 AM)

It is  a sad state of cinema when a film this terrible (and it really is) will make stupid money and get idiots giving it 4 stars???????? Seroiusly.  Idoes reach what it is trying to do but when the bar is set so so very low it is not hard.

The CGI was terrible. The flashbacks were boring and pointless. The charcters were so flat if they turned sideways they would vanish. The action was dull and uninsipred.

You want a pop corn film go see the Goonies, the origanal Indy Trilogy. 

It is a sad state of affairs when films like this and transformers make silly money and I have to drive 50 miles to go see a truly quality movie like Moon.

kenada_woo -> RE: Brilliant Fun (7/8/2009 2:21:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Death_Row_Marv

It is  a sad state of cinema when a film this terrible (and it really is) will make stupid money and get idiots giving it 4 stars???????? Seroiusly.  Idoes reach what it is trying to do but when the bar is set so so very low it is not hard.

The CGI was terrible. The flashbacks were boring and pointless. The charcters were so flat if they turned sideways they would vanish. The action was dull and uninsipred.

You want a pop corn film go see the Goonies, the origanal Indy Trilogy. 

It is a sad state of affairs when films like this and transformers make silly money and I have to drive 50 miles to go see a truly quality movie like Moon.

What did you really expect from a film based on toys and the director of Van Helsing? 

Lex Romero -> RE: Brilliant Fun (7/8/2009 4:20:36 PM)

I'm not sure what your point is Kenada.  :-/  People aren't allowed to say a film is shit if it's based on toys because that means it's "ok" that it's shit?

If "what did you expect" is meant to be a defense of the film, then it's a poor one.  Expecting it to be shit doesn't make it ok that it's shit.  And if you're just saying "what did you expect" for some other reason, then why bother?  He can't post his opinion because he should have expected it to be shit and not gone? 

R W -> RE: G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra (7/8/2009 4:24:44 PM)

Director: Stephen Sommers
Screenwriters: Stuart Beattie, David Elliot, Paul Lovett
Starring: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Christopher Eccleston, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Byung-hun Lee, Sienna Miller, Rachel Nichols, Ray Park, Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, Marlon Wayans

Synopsis
Following a failed mission, soldiers Duke (Tatum) and Ripcord (Wayans) become part of an elite military unit comprised of special operatives known as G.I. Joe, who are taking on an evil organisation led by a notorious arms dealer.

Review
As we approach the end of this year's summer blockbusters, we had more downers rather than uppers, such as the dullness of the X-Men prequel and even more disasterous, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Michael Bay's sequel of unbearable length. Fortunately, comes the arrival of a film that is straightforward and all about one word: fun.

Originally started as a toyline from Hasbro, to a comic book series by Larry Hama and then into a popular 80s cartoon, G.I. Joe has now been updated into a live-action experience, which doesn't glorify war or deals with today's political problems. Like the cartoon, it is your classic tale of good versus evil.

The main plot points in this film are the two protagonists' introduction to the team whose motto is "knowing is half the batlle"; and the origin of the evil organisation known as Cobra, that is one of colourful villains. The first plot point is fairly simple as Duke and Ripcord go through the usual tough training and are introduced to the other Joes in some pretty funny sequences. Our heroes are fleshed out through a number of flashbacks, which seem cliched and are mostly told through action sequences (which I will get to later on).

The most interesting aspect is the development of Cobra, whose simple purpose is to destroy. After an unconvincing prologue that shows the villain's ancestor in 17th century France (yeah, I know), our current antagonists are established in the first action scene. But once the film heads toward its epic climax, the tables turn surprisingly and uncover who the real villian is. The creation of Cobra is what gives excitement and anticipation for a franchise to come out of this film.

If there is one thing to know about the work of Stephen Sommers, including The Mummy and Van Helsing, is that he directs nonsensical blockbusters, no matter how entertaining they are. Sommers presents here his most enjoyable film as the action is hard-hitting and techically astounding with its practical and visual effects, particularly when it takes place in Paris. The flaw though is that Sommers is more interesting in blowing things up rather than having quiet moments with his characters, which there are by the way.

I was a bit worried about the two leads: Channing Tatum (whose one for his looks) and Marlon Wayans (co-creator of the Scary Movie franchise). However, Tatum has enough potential to be the leading man, while Wayans does well in his dramatics. As for the other Joes, Dennis Quaid doesn't have the screen time he should deserve and Rachel Nichols does more than just show off her body.

The real stand-outs are in the Cobra side; including Sienna Miller who basically kicks ass as the leather-outfitted Baronness and South Korea's Byung-hun Lee is damn right sinister as the white ninja Storm Shadow. While Christopher Eccleston is your typcial villain-in-a-suit, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the scariest figure on screen as the Doctor who has a more raspier voice than the Dark Knight.

Verdict
To finish off this summer is Sommers' best film that has the promise of a franchise coming out in the future. Sure its silly, but it's either that or giant robots hittting each other.

kenada_woo -> RE: Brilliant Fun (7/8/2009 6:02:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lex Romero

I'm not sure what your point is Kenada.  :-/  People aren't allowed to say a film is shit if it's based on toys because that means it's "ok" that it's shit?

If "what did you expect" is meant to be a defense of the film, then it's a poor one.  Expecting it to be shit doesn't make it ok that it's shit.  And if you're just saying "what did you expect" for some other reason, then why bother?  He can't post his opinion because he should have expected it to be shit and not gone? 

Not at all.  But he did say people are "idiots" for giving it 4 stars, then is worried about the "state of film" when something like Moon isnt widely available and making mega bucks.

My point was...its a film called GI Joe, there's a certain level of expectancy of seeing a film like this for what it is and who made it - you're not going to see high art, you're going to see the movie eqivalent of McDonalds.  He didnt like the film, that's fine.  But to criticise other people's enjoyment/rating out of it isnt a review.  

I just find it funny that some people (it doesnt apply to him because I dont know the poster, but its in general) can pay money to see a film as if they're expecting something it clearly isnt going to be...then say its poor like its a surprise.  It was a valid question - what did he/she expect from a film based on a toy range directed by the guy who made Van Helsing?  Its not judgemental, it doesnt negate his review, its a valid question.  I expected a Stephen Sommers film based on the cartoon I watched as a kid...that's what I got.       

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Brilliant Fun (7/8/2009 6:26:13 PM)

Hmmm...

No COOOBRAAAAAAA!!! then. That is disappointing.

Is it like Cobra Beigns or something?

If I liked Street Fighter (Van Damme's) would this be at about the same level of fun?

D-ToX -> RE: Brilliant Fun (7/8/2009 7:06:16 PM)

Death_Row_Marv you really need to lighten up, not all movies need to be about perfection. There is nothing wrong with a pop corn flick like this that is also clearly aimed children.

kenada_woo -> RE: Brilliant Fun (7/8/2009 7:09:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Hmmm...

No COOOBRAAAAAAA!!! then. That is disappointing.

Is it like Cobra Beigns or something?

If I liked Street Fighter (Van Damme's) would this be at about the same level of fun?

LOL yeah, Cobra Begins. 

GI Joe is like The Matrix compared to Street Fighter (bit unfair to stick GI Joe in that bracket). 

boove -> RE: G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra (7/8/2009 10:56:10 PM)

who else loved the 'sperm' visual joke?  craked me up.  this film is hilariously bad and it was just what i wanted to chill out with my friends and have a laugh.

spamandham -> RE: Completely brilliant, yet total rubbish (8/8/2009 3:52:15 AM)

This film is an absolute turd to all but the most dull-witted of viewers, so I'll try to say something nice about it instead!

Sienna Miller is pretty hot in a slutty, home-wrecker kind of way,

Rachel Nichols is just plain old fuckin' hot

[;)]

GI JOE FUCK YEAH! COMIN' TO SAVE THE MOTHER-FUCKIN' DAY NOW!

captainrentboy -> RE: G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra (8/8/2009 8:18:39 AM)

Saw this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a shame it's getting like the AICN boards on here, what with people calling other folk stupid just for enjoying an action packed summer blockbuster.[&:] After an almighty shitty week in work this was just the type of flick I needed to wind down and chill out.
I thought it was far more enjoyable than Transformers 2, as it didn't ever feel like it was outstaying its welcome. Sure some the CGI was a tad ropey, but at the same time I thought the accelerator suit part was one of the finest action sequences to hit the cinemas this summer, and the sound effects were also particularly fantastic,
It just needed more ninja smackdowns[:D]
3/5

Drone -> RE: G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra (8/8/2009 11:05:36 AM)

Evil Nevar Looked so Good omgz lolz

Until I saw that tag line, I was prepared to give it a chance. 

The REAL Bozz -> RE: G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra (8/8/2009 12:44:21 PM)

GI Joe is a great film. Lots of fun. After Star Trek it has to be the summer flick I have enjoyed the most. I suppose people who see it and have no knowledge of the cartoon will write it off as shit and silly. I loved the cartoon and the figures and it was just a good rendition of them on the big screen. Don't know where the "acting" is shit tripe is coming from. It isn't. All the cast have fun playing goofy larger than life characters. Stands outs for me were Baroness, Scarlett, Duke and Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. I actually liked all the characters.

Somebody said it's silly. Why I asked? Look at Hawkes assistant she looks like a model who decided to become a soldier. I laughed and explained she is! That's one of the actual characters from the series. Cover-Girl is a model who gives it up to become a soldier. That's the sort of world you are paying six quid to see. You know if you will like this film or not from thet get go. I think those who go to see it with the attitude of "I know you will be crap. I'm going to pay money to prove it too!!" deserve a bad experience. It's a shame too because it's not a bad film at all. Roll on GI JOE2[:D]

genejoke -> RE: Brilliant Fun (8/8/2009 5:08:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lex Romero

Not at all.  But he did say people are "idiots" for giving it 4 stars, then is worried about the "state of film" when something like Moon isnt widely available and making mega bucks.

My point was...its a film called GI Joe, there's a certain level of expectancy of seeing a film like this for what it is and who made it - you're not going to see high art, you're going to see the movie eqivalent of McDonalds.  He didnt like the film, that's fine.  But to criticise other people's enjoyment/rating out of it isnt a review.  

I just find it funny that some people (it doesnt apply to him because I dont know the poster, but its in general) can pay money to see a film as if they're expecting something it clearly isnt going to be...then say its poor like its a surprise.  It was a valid question - what did he/she expect from a film based on a toy range directed by the guy who made Van Helsing?  Its not judgemental, it doesnt negate his review, its a valid question.  I expected a Stephen Sommers film based on the cartoon I watched as a kid...that's what I got.       

I just watched it, it is one of the better blockbusters out this year.
Ok the script is somewhat cheesy with some terrible lines but in films like this thats part of the fun.
The cgi is generally pretty good, nothing as bad as the useless cgi claws in wolverine.  I am beginning to think rubbish cgi is a term people use for any film they dont like, I wonder if anyone said that about antichrist?[:D]
The film stands head and shoulders above both wolverine and terminator salvation as far as dumb action blockbusters go.  BUT anyone going expecting citizen cain is going to get what they deserve, disappointment.

genejoke -> RE: G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra (8/8/2009 5:16:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

GI Joe is a great film. Lots of fun. After Star Trek it has to be the summer flick I have enjoyed the most. I suppose people who see it and have no knowledge of the cartoon will write it off as shit and silly. I loved the cartoon and the figures and it was just a good rendition of them on the big screen. Don't know where the "acting" is shit tripe is coming from. It isn't. All the cast have fun playing goofy larger than life characters. Stands outs for me were Baroness, Scarlett, Duke and Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. I actually liked all the characters.

Somebody said it's silly. Why I asked? Look at Hawkes assistant she looks like a model who decided to become a soldier. I laughed and explained she is! That's one of the actual characters from the series. Cover-Girl is a model who gives it up to become a soldier. That's the sort of world you are paying six quid to see. You know if you will like this film or not from thet get go. I think those who go to see it with the attitude of "I know you will be crap. I'm going to pay money to prove it too!!" deserve a bad experience. It's a shame too because it's not a bad film at all. Roll on GI JOE2[:D]

I went and had a beer first as I expected it to be a bit rubbish but i was pleasantly surprised that it was a genuinely good fun film. 

YoungChris -> RE: G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra (8/8/2009 9:19:22 PM)

Enjoyable, entertaining popcorn flick. Great to watch on big screen. Despite cheap effects compared to Terminator Salvation, or Transformers... movie got some bright spots, especially in Shadow Storm and Snake Eyes, real badass. And I did thoroughly enjoy those accelerators/car chase, as mind-numbing as they were to watch.

Obviously, don't go in expecting The Dark Knight people, it IS Stephen Sommers we are fucking talking about, poor man's Michael Bay so...

Also, those two chicks in the movie are fucking hot, me and my buddies ended up sitting at the front of the theatre cause we came in abit late, so I got to look at some gigantic closeup of boobs, dunno which chicks.

Timon -> RE: G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra (8/8/2009 9:38:17 PM)

Simultaneously one of the most entertaining and fucking stupid films I've seen in a long, long time.

Firstly, it has characters called Duke Hazard and Dr Mindbender in, some of the effects are seriously shoddy and it has a Wayans brother in.

One the other hand, if I was 12 years old still. This would be the BEST FILM EVER.

Bungee jumping ninjas, ladies in leather, heroes in leather jackets... mourning in the rain... wearing sunglasses, armies of underwater fighter jet thingys, plots to destroy the world, hidden bases, multinational armies... awesome stuff.

Plus it has Dennis Quaid in and it's a fact that the Quaidster's presence makes a film 40% better than it should be. Oh and Sommer's vetrans Brendan Fraser and Kevin O'Connor in random cameos!

Oh and why is the US President British? Gah, I'm thinking about it too much again.

Anyway, entertaining stuff. More explosions than a Michael Bay 'best of' reel and some of the most crap dialogue this side of American soap operas.

But, I do for the first time now see the appeal of Sienna Miller. Grrr, hoooowl, etc etc

Rubbish, but I would not be adverse to seeing another one.

P.S. Oh and just because your villain is Scottish, DOES NOT mean he'd program his weapon systems in Celtic.

YO JOE!

adambatman82 -> RE: G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra (8/8/2009 10:36:38 PM)

Saw this last night with a group of friends.

It was incredibly daft, but I left the cinema with a huge smile across my face.

captainrentboy -> RE: G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra (9/8/2009 9:20:33 AM)

I like how most of the posters on here can't quite find it in themselves to just say ''Yeah, I enjoyed it'' [:D]
There's always got to be the little negative disclaimer in front of the praise.
Rediculously stupid but....
The most silly film I've ever seen but.....
It was a bit rubbish but......

There's nothing wrong with some mindless fun now and again guys, stop feeling guilty about it.[8D]

blackduck -> RE: Generic crap. (10/8/2009 8:59:44 AM)

Ok firstly as a toy ad for 12 year old boys (which is basically what the original cartoon was) this succeeds on every level.
But what’s it like if you’re an adult wanting a proper movie?
Well if you go in expecting a cartoonish, overblown, fun action movie you won’t be disappointed. Sure Somers hasn’t gotten over his love of ropey CGI. Yes the president of the US is bizarrely English (as are the French, the cops helpfully having the word POLICE on their vests for foreigners). But not a single person involved thinks they’re making high art yet all get gamely stuck it to the cheesiness of it. And daft as it is, the plot isn’t all that bad. Sure the plot twists won’t catch anyone out, but COBRAs plan is quite good by the standards of action villains. All the characters are clearly defined (one dimension is all you need)  and you can see what’s  going on in the action scenes.
I still think Sommers is a hack who got lucky casting Brendan Frasier in the Mummy, but this is everything Transformers should have been, good old slice of daft fun.
PS
While watching the movie there was a kid sitting behind me commenting throughout the film, usual kiddy chatter. But in the scene where the Baroness and Destro kiss he said very loudly “Ewwww…..He’s a 40 year old man!”. [:D]

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI