The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

boaby -> The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (25/7/2009 2:34:20 AM)

Yaaaaasssss!

Off season is petering to close.

Signings are rare, targets are 10 a penny, and the big boys trot onto the European stage next week!

One thing I must put up is the league table, it never looks better than before a ball is kicked:

Aberdeen 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
-------------------------------------
Diddy team
Diddy team
Diddy team
Diddy team
Diddy team
-------------------------------------
pfttt, fah cares onywye?

So, the cup final losers get shafted out of Europe again. Huzzazh. 7 times we've sent cup runners up into yoorup, 6 times they've been pumped at the first time of asking. This time by representatives of the mighty Lichtenstein. Yaass min. Stupid rules, that could've been Utd getting horsed in yoorup. Utd getting horsed is funny.

Dons kick off against the 4th best Czech team rather than the 8th best Icelandic team [sm=893Grumpy-thumb.gif] . We've 2 central defenders in our squad, the best is fit half the time and the other is half fit just now. Our only cover is a young Faroese kid who looked out of his depth against Peterhead last midweek [sm=ohmy.gif]. But all is well, rather than watching our yooro opponents our latest saviour jetted off to Paris to beg for the loan of a 21 year old CB from a team newly relegated to the 3rd tier of French football. Don't Panic!! We'll just have to score more than they do, he said stating the bloody obvious. Problem: 36 league games last season, 41 goals [:@].

I'm in the rather unsettling situation of wanting Celtic to win against Dynamo Moscow for seeding purposes. 38 teams get seeded for the Europa League play-off round. If we get through against this Czech mob we're the 41st ranked team. If those with higher co-efficients get pumped out of the CL qualifiers they drop in above us, Sellick are one such team. If 3 more of the 20 higher ranked teams in Europa League 3rd qualifying round get humped than those of higher rank who get pumped out of the CL qualifiers then the mighty Dons get seeded. If we get seeded then we avoid such beasts as Eindhoven, Sparta Prague/Panathinaikos and other assorted horrors in the play-off - and the wondrous new gravy-train created by UEFA awaits... desperate? Damn right! 3rd tier French defenders, on loan, if we're lucky, ffs. [:@]

Well done to Motherwell for spanking some mob, after dealing with those Welsh upstarts. If they could spank Steau in the next round that'd be super.

Anyway, welcome to Super Sainties. A Pox on the houses of those I loathe. Once more unto the Beach End, dear friends. Get intae them, heid first. Stand Free. Come On You Reds. It is not for wealth or glory that we fight... well, actually...

May the depressingly predictable and slightly rigged games begin...

Predictions:
SPL Champions: Satan's XXII [sm=sad.gif] 
Cup Winners: The Dons [:D]
Diddy Cup Winners: The Dons [:D]

Number of Scottish teams in Europe past Chrimbo: 0 [:(]

Number of Scottish Teams at the World Cup: 1 [:D] (phuck knows how?)

KennyM -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (25/7/2009 11:38:17 AM)

Kevin Kyle will destroy all defenders put in front of him and fire Killie to Scottish Cup glory.....well it happened in a dream I had

Felix -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (25/7/2009 2:45:30 PM)

Opens up Scottish to English translation program...

Oh, right, thats what you're going on about...

boaby -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (25/7/2009 2:59:49 PM)

far be it fae me tae correct the english of a native speaker, however, yer missing an apostrophe in "thats".

[;)]

Jackal -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (25/7/2009 3:48:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Opens up Scottish to English translation program...

Oh, right, thats what you're going on about...

he's from Aberdeen..

Donnie Murdo -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (25/7/2009 8:49:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

Anyway, welcome to Super Sainties.

Finally! Second every damn year, then trust us to get promoted the year the bloody money dries up... [:(]

Predictions....

Celtic first, Rangers second, Saints avoid relegation comfortably, although don't threaten the top six. I reckon the lack of money could be good for Saints though, as Geoff Brown runs the club at a mild profit (about the only club in the UK to do so), so we're probably the safest in the league if it does all go tits up. Maybe everyone else will go bust and we'll win by default... [:D]

Qwerty Norris -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (26/7/2009 4:53:54 PM)

With Setanta going bust this summer, what impact will this have on the SPL terrestrial highlights package? I know the BBC had a deal to broadcast monday night & online highlights, but with ESPN and sky taking Setanta's place will this change at all?

As for tedious inevitability of the football itself, I don't think there's much between the ugly sisters. Rangers are skint but Celtic have a new manager in the shape of Tommy Burns - they'll play attractive football but will struggle to win trophies. The race for 3rd will be interesting though and who knows maybe someone will be able to close the gap on the big two. Hearts look in reasonable shape although we could do with a goalscorer. Hibs will be rejuvinated under John Hughes whilst I reckon Dundee United will build on last season and have a better one. I can actually see Mark McGhee doing a poorer job than Calderwood as well but given he's an Aberdeen legend he'll get nowhere near the same flak as the tangoman.

As for relegation I can see St. Johnstone having enough about them to stay up. However I think Hamilton & Killie will struggle really badly. Hamilton looked to have sold their best players and barely scraped it last season, whilst Killie are a timebomb waiting to explode in my opinion.

boaby -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (26/7/2009 7:34:00 PM)

Anyone read the Sunday Mail? I dinna, but my attention was drawn by others to an interview in its pages with AFC's own Zander Diamond. He'd nae bat an eyelid if he never got capped. He'd be ecstatic if he had a long AFC career and got nae caps. Reckons club fitba's mair important than international fitba.

This dandy is apparently one of the few who is ticked off by this. It's a bitty Kris Boyd-esque. I'm nae chuffed at one who seeks to be AFC Captain lacking interest in playing for his country. The overwhelming response by the chattering Dons masses seems to be very different. Most seem disinterested in the national team, yet feel Dons players have been unfairly overlooked in the past (how they can discern this through their disinterest is beyond me). Most are thrilled by ZD's "committment" - the same ZD who needed a fair bit of persuasion to sign a new contract. Most see a big difference between deciding nae to play for the national team and deciding to be be unconcerned about playing for the national team. I dinna.

If I was a pro (the dream that lingers...) the main reason I'd play club football was to have a chance of playing international football. I canna fathom the "am I bovvered" mindset.

So, fellow fans of Scottish fitba, if one of your best* players went public with a lack of interest in playing for Scotland would you be chuffed, ticked off or disinterested?

*given that genuine talent is largely absent from AFC this is a relative term.

Donnie Murdo -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (26/7/2009 8:46:16 PM)

I'd be disappointed with them, but seeing as Saints players have to move before they're capped (Callum Davidson a week or so after going to Blackburn, Paul Hartley swiftly after signing for Hearts) it's a pretty hypothetical situation. I still think that playing for your country should be the ultimate accolade for a player though. Even if it is just Scotland...

crimond -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (27/7/2009 1:39:55 PM)

I think Zander Diamond has just resigned to the fact that as an Aberdeen player/ captain he has no chance of playing for Scotland.  We could win the league this season and still be lucky if any player got picked.  Yet if he signed for Rangers or Celtic tomorrow he would be in the team in a heart beat.

boaby -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (29/7/2009 5:03:39 PM)

Europe beckons.

'mon sellick (yeeeuch)
'mon 'well
and for the love of all that's awesome in this world can the Dons get a win to 0?

Zander a doubt. MM hopes he'll play, rather than expecting him to play. If we have no more injuries (please, please can we have no more injuries) a back 4 of Duff, Foster, Considine and Mulgrew is on the cards...

[sm=ohmy.gif]

to top it all I have to work, so no fitba for boaby.

tommyjarvis -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (30/7/2009 9:43:51 PM)

Dear oh dear...

Well, with Celtic losing last night, Motherwell getting gubbed by Steaua and Aberdeen currently being raped at home, I'm starting to feel a little better about Falkirk's capitulation in Liechtenstein last week. [:D] Scotland's co-efficient in Europe is going to be horrendous next season, however, unless Rangers do something special.

boaby -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (30/7/2009 11:35:44 PM)

well, that's that then.

With only 1 defender injured MM fields a defense with only 2 defenders in it, only one of whom was in his usual position. Derek Young - he whom Partick Thistle released, a former striker - at right back. Stuart Duff - floaty kinda crappy wide midfielder - at centre back alongside Considine, an actual centre back. Ricky Foster, usually a right back, at left back. Charlie Mulgrew, an actual left back, in a midfield 3. One defender injured should not lead to 3 positional changes.

Utterly bonkers. We've known for ages we needed a couple of centre-backs. Last season we had to play our best midefielder - Seve - in defense. He's gone. Lee Mair, an actual defender, got dicked about to the extent that he, a Dons fan, left the Dons for St. Mirren. Then our esteemed new saviour, the thus far tactically inept, Mark McGhee goes after 3 players, none of whom are centre backs. Then he takes a big bloke on trial (which he said there'd be no more of) who he wants but canna afford. Canna afford French 3rd tier defenders! Then he puts Powderpuff Duff in against the 4th best team in the Czech Republic whose league season is already started. Our toughest pre-season game was Dundee. Dundee!

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

It's alright though, we've signed a goalkeeper, even though we've already got 3. We have 4 goalkeepers, MM played 2 defenders in defense. In a European match.

1-5. Our worst European result ever. Ever.

Beer. Must find and drink lots and lots and lots of beer.

We didn't get raped - we bent over then backed in - saved them the effort of thrusting.

Donnie Murdo -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (31/7/2009 12:35:49 AM)

Oh dear.

Anyone remember those few weeks in 2007, with results like Celtic 2-1 Milan, Lyon 0-3 Rangers and France 0-1 Scotland? Those were the days...

KennyM -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (31/7/2009 8:24:06 AM)

Its a pretty embarrasing time to be a scottish football fan just now...I dont see anything on the horizon either that looks like it might get better. Times are tough

boaby -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (1/8/2009 3:29:49 AM)

Aberdeen last developed an international central midfielder in 1982 - Neil Simpson
Aberdeen last developed an international striker in 1989 - Eoin Jess and Scott Booth
Aberdeen last developed an international goalkeeper in 1981 - Jim Leighton
Aberdeen last developed an international centre back in 1998, ditto full-back - Russel Anderson, Kevin McNaughton Aberdeen last developed an international wide player in 1969 - Arthur Graham

Total number of players signed by Jimmy Calderwood in 5 years was 60+
Total number of youth players as yet unreleased into obscurity who were given their debut in those five years: 3

The above is why Aberdeen are crap. Relatively un-crap in Scottish terms, but in football terms, crap. Not lack of money but rather extreme misuse of the available kitty for nigh on 20 years. Dismal youth development, deliberate focus on signing mercenary footballers, over-spending and largely honking managerial appointments.

So is the discrepency between signings and (even relatively) successful youth development as great for other Scottish teams? Is the trend of idiocy evident beyond The People's Republic of Aberdonia?

Rant fellow forumites, rant for all you're worth...

or don't.

Donnie Murdo -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (2/8/2009 6:03:43 PM)

I always think of Aberdeen producing quite a few good young players, although come to think of it that would have been around 99/00, with Mackie, McNaughton etc. I would say that most teams have hardly been bursting with stars in recent years, apart from maybe Hibs. Celtic have produced McGeady and McManus, and we'll see how John Fleck turns out at the... um, Rangers.

On a better note, Saints have begun the season with a storming 5-0 win in the CIS Cup, featuring a double from Kenny "Dr Goals" Deuchar. Seeing how pish the other teams were this week has filled me with more confidence for the coming season as well... [:D]

Donnie Murdo -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (5/8/2009 8:11:54 PM)

Well done to Celtic for restoring some pride after last week. Here's hoping Aberdeen and Motherwell can do something astonishing in their games!

boaby -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (7/8/2009 12:27:40 PM)

ach well, another disasterously woeful performance from the Dons. All bar Langfield and a young un with a bit of fire about him were dire. If not for Langfield the aggregate would've been double what it was.

through gritted teeth, well done rasellick

decent effort fwe 'well.

We need signings, badly, that in itself an indictment of our youth system. Ach, If I carry on writing about the Dons I'll do myself a mischief.

So, Scotland next midweek.

I reckon Langfield deserves a start. I would though. Canna see the hun not getting picked though. Is faddy fit yet?

Jasiri -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (9/8/2009 11:17:50 PM)

quote:

I reckon Langfield deserves a start.

Really? I've seen little of Langfield since he left Dens but what I've seen of highlights and his performance in the friendly the other week he seems to be little different from the player who left us back then.Nothing but a back up keeper for us,him and Soapy Souter much of a muchness.Is Souter still at Aberdeen?

boaby -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (10/8/2009 3:36:34 PM)

Langfield won our player of the season last year. He's played some absolute blinders for us. Without him we'd have got nowhere near European football. Kicking is still questionable. Other than that Jim Leighton has done wonders with him. Nae that dodgy under crosses, decent presence in his box, very good shot-stopper. Compared to Marshall and the sub goalie for the huns he's Lev Yashin.

Souter got punted very quicky after the QotS debacle.

Donnie Murdo -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (12/8/2009 8:44:13 AM)

So, Norway game tonight....

I'm quietly confident. I think we've got a decent attacking side these days, and the squad seems to be pretty close now that the disruptive elements have been removed. On that note, I'm pretty disappointed at Barry Ferguson's timing, having a go at the SFA on the eve of a game this size.

boaby -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (12/8/2009 4:01:07 PM)

team for this evening has been announced:

----------------------Marshall [sm=mad.gif]

-----------Hutton Caldwells Davidson [sm=mad.gif]

---------------------Alexander [sm=mad.gif]

McCormack Fletcher Brown Commons

--------------------------Miller

Commons has a good left foot. McCormack has a bit of a (semi-justified) swagger about him. Nae at all sure about the Caldwells in defence, better than Weir and donkey McManus I suppose. Fletcher and Brown shouldn't need an al' manny to protect the gap. Davidson - deary me.

I wanted Faddy to start.

Still think we'll win, but then I always do, blind faith does that to halfwits such as myself.

C'mon Scotland, intae them, heid first. [sm=evilgrin27.gif]

Donnie Murdo -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (12/8/2009 8:29:20 PM)

Oh for fuck's sake....

[:@][:@][:@][:(]

boaby -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (12/8/2009 9:02:21 PM)

farkin' Caldwells.

Alexander

Davidson

rrrrrrrraaaaaggggeeeee!

Miller is a profligate man's Dareen Mackie.

Far too much fairiness on display. Euphemistically described as "seeing tackles coming" by the halfwit telly commentators.

Ach, too many things to moan about.

Smilies dinna cut it.

Donnie Murdo -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (12/8/2009 9:16:14 PM)

I'm not making any excuses here, but we've lost a lot of players in this campaign. In the last year or so McCulloch, Boyd, Ferguson and McGregor have all ruled themselves out of contention (far be it from me to speculate any possible connection), and as a nation of under 5 million we just don't have a deep enough squad to lose that many players. Add to that injuries to Gordon and McManus and you start to see where things went wrong tonight.

And Callum Davidson? There's a blast from the past, I had no idea he was even still playing! Still, nice to see a Saints lad in the Scotland team...

broonie -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (13/8/2009 1:12:38 PM)

Shite! F***ing Shite!

What pisses me off is that Norway are f***ing garbage! After Caldo's sending off we just went to pieces, shape and belief completely gone.

I guess we wouldn't be Scotland if we didn't do things the hard way.

Well bring on Macedonia and Holland and get this campaign over and done with for feck sake!

Donnie Murdo -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (13/8/2009 8:00:07 PM)

So what does everyone think about an earlier start to the season? It would seem that Scottish football is in pretty big trouble, and the SPL hasn't even kicked off yet. It doesn't strike me as very clever to have teams playing in Europe and crucial World Cup matches being played when the players are still fresh from holidays.

Jasiri -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (13/8/2009 8:47:26 PM)

quote:

Langfield won our player of the season last year. He's played some absolute blinders for us. Without him we'd have got nowhere near European football. Kicking is still questionable. Other than that Jim Leighton has done wonders with him. Nae that dodgy under crosses, decent presence in his box, very good shot-stopper. Compared to Marshall and the sub goalie for the huns he's Lev Yashin.

Souter got punted very quicky after the QotS debacle.

Fair enough,you see far more of him than me and to be honest I'm glad to hear he's doing well,always seemed a decent guy when he was with us,but ability wise was always stuck behind Rab Douglas and then 'Toni' Speroni in his time here.
Seems Soapy Souter is back with us,training while looking for a club,never realised but he was on our bench last week against Morton as a trialist as we only have Bullock as back up to Douglas who's out injured,and looks like he'll be on the bench again this week against Raith.

Goodfella -> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 (16/8/2009 11:34:42 AM)

Any of you guys know anything about Aberdeen defender Zander Diamond? Apparently we're after him as cover for Llera and Dailly.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI