Your Funny Uncle -> RE: New Team - Late Joiner (26/1/2006 5:37:50 PM)
Some Big News......
Super Aguri F1 has won its battle to compete in the 2006 Formula 1 world championship after the FIA confirmed its late entry on Thursday afternoon.
The team has faced an anxious wait since before Christmas after it was denied an initial entry because it did not provide the necessary paperwork.
The FIA then granted permission to Japanese former F1 racer Aguri Suzuki to seek a late entry, which gave him time to come up with the necessary $US48m bond to secure a place on the grid.
Suzuki also required unanimous support from the 10 rival teams in order for the FIA to able to consider a late entry possible.
An FIA statement confirmed that Super Aguri had been given the green light to become F1's 11th team: "Following receipt of the necessary financial guarantee and with the unanimous support of the competing teams, the FIA has accepted the late entry of the Super Aguri F1 Team to the 2006 FIA Formula One World Championship."
This marks the first time since 2002 that there have more than 20 cars in the field.
Super Aguri F1
Takuma Sato (TBC)
Sakon Yamamoto (possible)
Yuji Ide (possible)
Anthony Davidson (possible)
Kosuke Matsuura (possible)
Wednesday times from Barcelona:
1. Felipe Massa, Ferrari (Bridgestone), 1:15.679
2. Fernando Alonso, Renault (Michelin), 1:16.200
3. Jenson Button, Honda (Michelin), 1:16.543
4. Rubens Barrichello, Honda (Michelin), 1:16.704
5. Giancarlo Fisichella, Renault (Michelin), 1:16.728
6. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber (Michelin), 1:17.036
7. Jarno Trulli, Toyota (Bridgestone), 1:17.060
8. Olivier Panis, Toyota (Bridgestone), 1:17.420
9. Juan Pablo Montoya, McLaren (Michelin), 1:17.482
10. David Coulthard, Red Bull (Michelin), 1:17.582
11. Scott Speed, Toro Rosso (Michelin), 1:18.092
12. Gary Paffett, McLaren (Michelin), 1:18.246
13. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber (Michelin), 1:20.042