Doghouse (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Doghouse (13/6/2009 2:12:06 PM)

Post your comments on this article

neen1 -> (13/6/2009 2:12:06 PM)

I take it from the lack of review that it's a load of turd then?

kenada_woo -> RE: (13/6/2009 3:02:33 PM)

Hopefully off to see this tonight.....Hoping for some good gory fun.

Big fan of Jake West, Stephen Graham and Danny Dyer's good for a chuckle - his last venture into horror was Serverence which was very good.

DJ Rob C: Mark II! -> RE: RE: (13/6/2009 6:06:40 PM)

Saw this today, very good fun, a good gory blokey horror comedy, full of amusing moments and plenty of thrills and spills

3/5

lee_richards000 -> (15/6/2009 10:38:37 AM)

Saw this last night and was pleasantly surprised. It's a really enjoyable, gory, horror comedy that's a bit stupid and sexist but knows it.

It does exactly what it says on the tin.

steveg66 -> RE: (15/6/2009 3:49:17 PM)

RE: I take it from the lack of review that it's a load of turd then?

Danny Dyer's in it, what else could it be?!!

goreonthefloor -> Great Fun (17/6/2009 3:14:27 AM)

Fantastic, bloody clever fun. A wicked script and great actors. Plus I don't understand why Empire don't have a Review for this as there regular review Kim Newman reviewed it for Venue Magazine and gave it 4 stars. I guess Empire don't bother reviewing British films anymore as they're mostly interested in "American Product"

kenada_woo -> Mini Gem of a film (18/6/2009 11:04:23 PM)

Just got back from watching this and I have to say its a mini gem of a horror comedy.

Great gags, clever set-pieces, bucket loads of gore, top practical fx, and top comic timing from the cast.

Its Jake "Evil Aliens, Razor Blade Smile"West's best film to date(even has a few of his regulars such as Emily Booth as the psycho zombie hairdresser) as he is given a budget and sharp script to play with.

Danny Dyer is his usual boyish charming cockney self who's not affraid to look a fool and get gory.  Ste Graham is the everyman and likeable, showing why he's popping up in everything nowdays since This Is England.  The rest of the cast all add to the likeable cast with the gay-friend, the golf fanatic who listens to self help MP3's to calm his nerves, and the comic book geek stuck in a Evil Dead/Return Of The Living Dead-type scenario.

All in all, top friday night gory 80's throwback fun.  One of the best of this year IMO and I'm pretty sure if Simon Pegg was in this everyone would be creaming over it.  But he's or anyone like him aint, so look out for it and give it a chance. 

It really narks me that British films like this come out with no publicity with little chance that people will see it.  And people wonder why people say the British Film Industry dont make good friday night films..when they do, no one goes out and sees them because no one know they're out.

****/*****[:D]

deano170 -> (24/6/2009 11:22:35 AM)

Don't need to watch it! Anything with Danny Dyer is bargain bucket shit! I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than watch that useless shit of an "Actor"

Papa Jeff -> RE: (14/10/2009 3:00:42 AM)

Really poor, Kim Newman's reviews are poison.

deppfanatic -> Masterpiece : Doghouse (14/10/2009 9:08:42 PM)

This is a brilliant film a group of lads need to get away from their girlfriends and cheer up one of their mates who's going through a divorce by going on a trip out to moodly where the women are hungry for men quite literally! Brilliant cast easily recognisable, and quotes and not forgetting the crazy women. Loved every moment much better than Shaun of the Dead, Give it a chance.

Neil: Alright, calm down... You sound like a dolphin.

deppfanatic -> Masterpiece : Doghouse (14/10/2009 9:08:54 PM)

This is a brilliant film a group of lads need to get away from their girlfriends and cheer up one of their mates who's going through a divorce by going on a trip out to moodly where the women are hungry for men quite literally! Brilliant cast easily recognisable, and quotes and not forgetting the crazy women. Loved every moment much better than Shaun of the Dead, Give it a chance.

Neil: Alright, calm down... You sound like a dolphin.

CIRVIRUS64 -> Average brit-horror-comedy (29/10/2009 3:35:05 AM)

Don't know quite where the fourth star comes from Kim, don't get me wrong it's likeable and witty but it's not a patch on the absolutely laugh-out-loud Zombieland which Empire only deemed worthy of four stars which clearly I thought was fully deserving if five.

KeithM -> RE: Average brit-horror-comedy (2/5/2011 11:59:39 PM)

Doghouse

A bunch of 'geezers' decide to take their recently divorced friend on a weekend away to cheer him up and get "shit-faced". They decide to stay in a village in which the women outnumber the men by three to one. Result!

You'd think... But the problem is that the women are all turned into slavering, flesh eating 'zombirds', making it not such a good thing after all. Cue tongue-in-cheek, at times gleefully misogynistic comedy-horror with plenty of gore and funny moments.

Not quite up there with Shaun of the Dead, but all in all worth 85 minutes of your time, although, fair warning, it's definitely a "lads" movie, so you might end up in the doghouse yourself if you watch it with the Mrs and she catches you laughing 'inappropriately' at the wrong moment. [;)]

7/10

lewisb548 -> SCARY,GORY AND PRETTY FUNNY. (10/5/2011 8:31:28 PM)

I recommend this too anyone who is fan of Shaun of the Dead, in all fairness, Shaun of the Dead is funnier but this is a better experience all together, too put it simply seven twats, excluding Stephen Graham and Keith-Lee-Castle go off to a remote town for booze,sex and fun to cheer up their recently divorced mate Vince played with charm by Stephen Graham who, other than cracking a few jokes,screaming,looking serious and making a smart speech at the conclusion does the least out of the cast, which is weird considering he is basically the main character, the continous gore and the very weird zombies are the un-enjoyable part of the film, but the enjoyable, Danny Dyers laddish supposed sex addict boozer is the charm of the show, Noel Clark doesn't do much though, but the film has it's moments most notably the antics and realisation that zom-birds are invading, the biggest twat of the whole group comments at one point that the zom-birds are infected with "Bird-Flu" this being probably the shittiest but still funny joke, the writers do a good job most notably with the poetic irony, Danny Dyer the supposed ladys man gets stabbed in the hand and gets that same hands pinkie cut off, this being very shocking, mostly because of the strong charcters sudden vulnerability. Keith-Lee-Castle's character makes a speech about team work and sticking together before being knifed too death by a zom-bird wielding sharp scissors, the irony here being that at one point in the film he called her fit.
The film in short is brilliant aside from the suckish yet slightly predictable ending which leaves the film on a cliffhanger with movie buffs watching the film guessing that they probably escape, the explanation for the zombies is under-written and under explained. Shaun of the Dead is funnier but this is altogether a better experience. I recommend this.

carlrogers22 -> RE: SCARY,GORY AND PRETTY FUNNY. (4/12/2012 3:09:09 AM)

Awful Cod-Zombie film. The intro sets up most of the main characters up as stereotypical twats, from there it's hard to like any of them.
I was expecting 'the gay one' to be infected, and then for the infection to jump the gender gap. I think that idea, however rubbish it is, is still better than this film.
I'm currently on a zombithon, I'm watching (and in most cases re-watching) Zombie films. Does anyone know any obscure Zombie films I might be missing? -10 bullets for anyone who says 'Dawn of the dead', a weapons cache for anyone who can name one I've never seen!

JohnChard -> RE: SCARY,GORY AND PRETTY FUNNY. (4/12/2012 4:10:10 AM)

Fido (2006) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fido_(film)

carlrogers22 -> RE: SCARY,GORY AND PRETTY FUNNY. (7/12/2012 1:55:46 AM)

Fido, good call! The location, and security code to a weapons cache goes out to JohnChard, good luck in the apocalypse!

I will however, retain one bullet from the cache. It is still yours, but I hope you never need it. Hold one back for me if it comes to it!

I read reviews for Fido when it came out, but I'd forgotten about it, Thanks for the heads up, I enjoyed it!

JohnChard -> RE: SCARY,GORY AND PRETTY FUNNY. (15/12/2012 1:26:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlrogers22

Fido, good call! The location, and security code to a weapons cache goes out to JohnChard, good luck in the apocalypse!

I will however, retain one bullet from the cache. It is still yours, but I hope you never need it. Hold one back for me if it comes to it!

I read reviews for Fido when it came out, but I'd forgotten about it, Thanks for the heads up, I enjoyed it!

Glad to have been assistance :-)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI