Timbre (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Emyr Thy King -> Timbre (22/9/2009 3:01:49 PM)

I like the suggestion of Guy Pearce, a serious actor and one who would delve deepply into his character. I would also like Michael Sheen to be in the two films. Either of the names I mentioned could play a dwarf or Bard the bowman? Philip Madoc as Gloin? In regards to the voice of Smaug, Christopher Lee could certainly do it but then he's already voiced Saruman and as others have said, his voice is too "familiar". Perhaps James Earl Jones could do it? Admittedly he is very familiar of course but the character of Smaug requires an actor with a deep rumbling voice.Unless they choose some one like Bruce Spence. What they did with his voice as the Mouth of Sauron was good; a strange almost supernatural timbre to the voice.

waltham1979 -> RE: Timbre (24/9/2009 3:50:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

I like the suggestion of Guy Pearce, a serious actor and one who would delve deepply into his character. I would also like Michael Sheen to be in the two films. Either of the names I mentioned could play a dwarf or Bard the bowman? Philip Madoc as Gloin? In regards to the voice of Smaug, Christopher Lee could certainly do it but then he's already voiced Saruman and as others have said, his voice is too "familiar". Perhaps James Earl Jones could do it? Admittedly he is very familiar of course but the character of Smaug requires an actor with a deep rumbling voice.Unless they choose some one like Bruce Spence. What they did with his voice as the Mouth of Sauron was good; a strange almost supernatural timbre to the voice.

I'm reading The Hobbit to my son at the moment and when I read out Smaug's dialogue I had Laurance Fishburns voice pop into my head...

JIm R -> RE: Dwarves (24/9/2009 4:29:46 PM)

Get McAvoy Now !!!!!! [:D]

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Timbre (24/9/2009 6:23:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979
I'm reading The Hobbit to my son at the moment and when I read out Smaug's dialogue I had Laurance Fishburns voice pop into my head...

Hello there old adversary [;)]

Yes Laurence Fishburne could certainly do the voice of Smaug the Dragon. The character is imposing and frightening, it should be voiced by one who has a certain authority and deepness to their voice. Clearly this would require the casting of a mature older man, 50 years of age or older. Sam Elliott may be suitable? I've never sampled his English accent, if he's ever done one. Although he does have that grumbling and slight snarl to his voice which may be ideal for Smaug.

If no voice other than that of Christopher Lee's were found then I would be distraught. If you listen to his voice in the Lord of the Rings trilogy he does have a booming quality that worked very well.  Of course there is the possibility of voice manipulation as was done with Bruce Spence voicing the Mouth of Sauron.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI