The Irishman (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films

Empire Admin -> The Irishman (15/5/2009 2:54:42 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Phubbs -> Kill the Irishman (2011) (3/8/2012 4:30:20 AM)

Well this was a surprise and a find that has gone unnoticed somehow, based on a true story and with a good cast this is an excellent mafia film that deserves to be up there with the greats.

I was really impressed with Stevenson's performance here as Danny Greene, not only does he look like the real Greene but he seems to have nailed his persona pretty well too from what I have read up about Greene. The whole film also looks really good too really capturing the 70's nicely, especially the gritty dirty blue collar areas of Cleveland which really make you glad you didn't live there at the time.

The film isn't exact with history as you can guess, it starts just before Greene becomes President of the ILA for dock workers, it appears to be quite close to reality but of course it may have been made a little more glossy. The way in which the film shows him becoming the president is a bit dubious methinks. As said the casting is decent and proves the films worth, you can hardly go wrong with Chris Walken, Vincent D'Onofrio, Robert Davi, Paul Sorvino and Val Kilmer, the only downside to the cast and film is the inclusion of Vinnie Jones trying his hardest to pull of a serious acting role plus an Irish accent, he doesn't succeed.

Nice direction, reasonable soundtrack and is actually filled with little footage segments from actual news reports of the time which work nicely. More of a 'Goodfellas' type film within the genre so you can tell what I'm angling towards, watch for some real footage of Greene at the very end.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
4.699707E-02