The Boat That Rocked (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> The Boat That Rocked (30/3/2009 10:09:40 AM)

Post your comments on this article

undesirablenumber1 -> Hurm... (30/3/2009 10:09:40 AM)

Yet another Empire review that spoils the ending. This might not be this year's Sixth Sense, but surely you can give us a sense of what the film's about WITHOUT spoilers... ¬_¬ (one star is for Empire because it won't let me post without a rating- haven't seen the film yet)

discodave101 -> RE: Hurm... (30/3/2009 2:21:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: undesirablenumber1

Yet another Empire review that spoils the ending. This might not be this year's Sixth Sense, but surely you can give us a sense of what the film's about WITHOUT spoilers... _ (one star is for Empire because it won't let me post without a rating- haven't seen the film yet)

I thoroughly agree. Why give away this major spoiler for the ending in the review? I read reviews to get an idea if the film is worth me going to see, NOT to give me a blow by blow account full of spoilers for the story arc. That's really pee'd me off Empire. You can let us know if the film is good or bad without the need to resort to blatant spoilers. If you really feel the need to talk in depth about moments in the film like this, at least give a little spoiler warning FFS.

Pele -> RE: Hurm... (1/4/2009 10:34:34 AM)

Saw this last night, it's very Richard Curtis but sadly not when he's quite at the top of his game. Worst offender: instead of the blackadder Darling gag we have Jack Davenport's character being called Twat(t). It wasn't funny the first time, and it became cringey from then on, well so i thought, however there were howls of laughter everytime Mr Branagh siad Twat in the cinema I saw it in. But then it was in Bradford. Phillip Seymour Hoffman adds some much wanted class to the proceedings and Danny Brown is a nice adddition as silent Bob. Emma Thompson has a jarring cameo which makes you think it's all about who knows Richard rather than if they're suitable, (Hugh as Prime in Love Actually?), Old Gag To Prove Point: Emma Thompson: "Mr Curtis where are you?", "I'm in the kitchen!" "Oh, can i be in it?". The story plods along nicely with characters seemingly saying lines delivered by other characters in other Curtis films. As an ensemble cast though they do look like they're having a fine time which does transfer onto the screen, and there are enough likable performances to paper over the wafer thin script. Some scenes have been left in which even whilst watching you'd have expected to see as a deleted scene on the dvd. All in all though you can't fault it's enthusiasm and affection for the subject matter of music,(It could have been a bit more obscure in it's choices, the soundtrack screams out as a best of album compiliations), and there are enough funny gags to keep the whole thing afloat.

frankie -> RE: Hurm... (3/4/2009 8:31:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pele
there are enough funny gags to keep the whole thing afloat.

hehe, made me laugh that. Nice one.

I'm planning to see this today but am a bit surprised at the length quoted by my local cinema. Is it really 2h15m? Seems long for this type of fluffy comedy movie.
Will post my thoughts on it later today.

n13roy -> Makes "Titanic " look like an Epic !!!!...... (4/4/2009 12:11:00 AM)

Not as bad as people are making out. It's a bit of fun, and really should not be taken seriously at all. The soundtrack is brilliant though......

n13roy -> Makes "Titanic " look like an Epic !!!!...... (4/4/2009 12:11:02 AM)

Not as bad as people are making out. It's a bit of fun, and really should not be taken seriously at all. The soundtrack is brilliant though......

DJ Rob C: Mark II! -> RE: Makes "Titanic " look like an Epic !!!!...... (4/4/2009 10:56:34 AM)

What n13roy said.... great fun and plenty of giggles, hardly Curtis's prime (though not as disapointing as I found Four Weddings; though not as good as Notting Hill or Love Actually, despite the endless repeat viewings [:D])...... Hoffman and Nighy are gold, backed up by a solid cast of great faces from the very funny Rhys Darby to a superb cameo by Emma Thompson, and yes the soundtrack rocks! [8D]

3.5/5

Y2Neildotcom -> RE: Makes "Titanic " look like an Epic !!!!...... (5/4/2009 4:37:01 PM)

quote:

It's 1966, an era when rock and roll music is at one of its greatest ever peaks, yet radio stations play less than an hour of it a day. It is therefore up to pirate radio stations like Radio Rock, broadcasting from a ship in the North Sea, to fill this void and provide entertainment to thousands of fans across the nation.

But not everyone is a fan of the eclectic mix of DJs on board and so the government decide to shut down pirate radio stations within the year, doing whatever it deems necessary to stop this filth from polluting the airwaves.

Featuring a host of comedians and talent, a soundtrack full of iconic tracks, The Boat That Rocked should be a jolly romp, in many respects it is. You will chortle throughout the films lengthy two hours forty runtime but there is no real substance below the humorous exterior. For a boat that is supposed to be about the sex, drugs and rock and roll. It steps very delicately over the sex and seems to skip the drugs altogether.

Relationships between the characters are paper-thin, when shock-jock Gavin (Rhys Ifans) joins the crew he and American stalwart 'The Count' (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) clash, yet other than climbing the ships mast their tension isn't explored. There is a pointless sub-plot of Young Carl (Tom Surridge) attempting to lose his virginity, but again this isn't explained as to why, other than he is of age. However the must worthless plot point of the entire movie comes when Simple Simon (an incredibly on form Chris O'Dowd) gets married, only to be divorced seventeen hours later when he finds out his wife only wanted to find a way onto the boat so she could be with Gavin.

For the amount of comedic and acting talent that is on board this ship, Ifans, Seymour Hoffman, Bill Nighy, Rhys Darby, Nick Frost, there is nothing to dig ones teeth into, no meaty relationships, nothing to endure you to these characters. There are laughs, you'd expect there to be with those cast however nothing to really laugh out loud at. Not to mention Richard Curtis' decision to include a joke ripped right out of his Blackadder playbook when instead of calling a government subordinate 'Darling' he instead opts for 'Twatt'.

The soundtrack is amazing, a fantastic selection of the greatest rock and roll tracks however even this is slightly marred. The movie is supposedly set in 1966 yet features tracks from bands such as 'The Who' and songs that weren't released until well after '66. Regardless and unfortunately, the soundtrack doesn't make the movie but it does provide plenty of foot tapping throughout.

You can read my full review here: http://www.y2neil.com/reviews/review.php?id=41

3/5

Tech_Noir -> RE: Makes "Titanic " look like an Epic !!!!...... (5/4/2009 4:38:44 PM)

Not seen this film but it deserves an award for worst title ever.

The Boat That Rocked?

I mean seriously, The Boat That Rocked??

UTB -> RE: Makes "Titanic " look like an Epic !!!!...... (5/4/2009 5:20:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Not seen this film but it deserves an award for worst title ever.

The Boat That Rocked?

I mean seriously, The Boat That Rocked??

Rock The Boat would have been better...

Cruisecontroller -> RE: The Boat That Rocked. (6/4/2009 3:58:28 PM)

Underrated comedy about British pirate radio in the Sixties pre Radio 1 from Richard Curtis. Great cast and soundtrack, really good and funny script and with characters that I did care about contary to what some sniffy critics have said. There are moments that are like a Carry On movie but if you liked Richard Curtis work pre rom com movies with Hugh Grant (who thankfully isn`t in it) you should like maybe even love this. It makes a refreshing change for him to do something different without Hugh Grant and if you`ve seen it anyone else recognise January Jones (Mrs Draper in Mad Men) as the American bride? Ignore the mediocre reviews this is great fun. 4/5. [8D]

rancorpuppet -> RE: The Boat That Rocked. (6/4/2009 10:35:15 PM)

There was a film script kicking about Stephen Woolley's production offices based on the life of Kenny Everett that took in some of the exploits of the radio pirates moored off Frinton-On-Sea. The script sounded on million times better than the tepid piss Curtis could be expected to serve up here, most exciting being that David Tennant had actually been in a discussion about prospectively playing Kenny.

Cruisecontroller -> RE: The Boat That Rocked. (7/4/2009 2:39:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rancorpuppet

There was a film script kicking about Stephen Woolley's production offices based on the life of Kenny Everett that took in some of the exploits of the radio pirates moored off Frinton-On-Sea. The script sounded on million times better than the tepid piss Curtis could be expected to serve up here, most exciting being that David Tennant had actually been in a discussion about prospectively playing Kenny.

That would have been interesting.

moviemaniac2 -> The Boat That Rocked (7/4/2009 7:53:59 PM)

The Boat That Rocked isn't a movie - it's a sitcom or, worse still, a two-hour sketch show. These sketches consist of The IT Crowd's Chris O Dowd getting married, Hoffman and Ifans challenging each other to a game of chicken, Tom Sturridge loosing his virginity and Thick Kevin being thick. The series of sketches are linked into some shape of a story by Dormandy (Kenneth Branagh) and Twatt (Jack Davenport) - a name that gets endless mileage and shows the level of humour here - in the British Government who strive desperately to get them off the air.

Curtis doesn't even bother to include his cliched drama that usually raises its head when the fun turns more serious. Hoffman, doing his Lester Bangs shtick from Almost Famous, is the only one actually acting here. Branagh does his best too, but he is just a villain from a kid's movie,--Absolute Rubbish

Qwerty Norris -> RE: The Boat That Rocked (8/4/2009 11:42:59 PM)

I really wanted to like this. A film with a funny & talented cast, good if a little obvious soundtrack and the type of rebellious, underdog story I would normally like. However Curtis's indulgence in creating 2 dimensional, emotionally confused characters & furfilling the film with every swinging 60's cliche under the sun completely spoiled it for me. Plus it's not funny, which considering the amount of comic talent involved is a crime. The "Darling" gag in Blackadder worked, the "Twat" gag in this one didn't.

2/5

robbiescarfe -> RE: The Boat That Rocked (10/4/2009 1:32:59 PM)

In an age of stultifying mundanity, the meaningless can assume the appearance of profundity.
In this context, pop culture occupies a position once inhabited by religion, family and art.
The natural consequence of the vacuity of modern existence is Richard Curtis's The Boat That Rocked.

Squidward Hark Bugle -> MASTERPIECE (14/4/2009 6:22:45 PM)

This film is brilliant. A film equal parts comedy and drama. 100% engrossing, with characters you care about and love. Set in the most awesome era of the 20th century. There's rockin' music, and a finale so poignant that it should silence all naysayers. All the acting is pitch-perfect, all technical aspects of the film are perfectly judged and without ego, and the experience as a whole is unforgettable.

I cannot overstate how enjoyable this film is. It's pure unadulterated fun of the highest order, but it still stimulates the brain. Its depth and commentary on society cannot be overestimated, and speaks on a very emotional human plane.

Masterpiece.

Who else is with me?

Squidward Hark Bugle -> RE: The Boat That Rocked (14/4/2009 6:28:29 PM)

This film is brilliant. A film equal parts comedy and drama. 100% engrossing, with characters you care about and love. Set in the most awesome era of the 20th century. There's rockin' music, and a finale so poignant that it should silence all naysayers. All the acting is pitch-perfect, all technical aspects of the film are perfectly judged and without ego, and the experience as a whole is unforgettable.

I cannot overstate how enjoyable this film is. It's pure unadulterated fun of the highest order, but it still stimulates the brain. Its depth and commentary on society cannot be overestimated, and speaks on a very emotional human plane.

Masterpiece.

Who else is with me?

Dr Lenera -> RE: The Boat That Rocked (14/4/2009 9:14:24 PM)

The Boat That Rocked had great potential,and it does sometimes convey how exciting the emergence of rock n roll was in the 60s,with some great bits of people secretly listening to the radio.  However,it's generally a stumbling mess.  Despite some fine performances from the likes of Rhys Ifans,Philip Seymour Hofffman and Bill Nighy,the script generally stays at one level [sex] and rarely changes,while all the women turn out to be tarts.  A token lesbian is appallingly written [has Richard Curtis ever met a real  one?] and the villianous politicians belong in a pantomine.  Curtis' supposed talent as a writer deserts him throughout and the sub-Titanic climax is far too long,while the obligatory happy ending just comes across as being ludicrous and annoying. Of course much of the music is great but we rarely hear more than a few bars. In one especially tedious sequence,Ifans and Hoffman chase all over the ship playing 'chicken' while ,in the space of five minutes,we hear amatuerishly edited down versions of four tracks from the For A Few Dollars More soundtrack!  Not totally unenjoyable,but should have been a lot better

walkcookwatch -> Sadly, Very Poor (19/4/2009 9:27:30 AM)

I like Richard Curtis's work. Hell I even enjoyed Love Actually, but this is a very poor film. The good things about it ? Philip Seymour Hoffman is as watchable as ever. The Soundtrack is pleasant and the end is typically life affirming. But the bad points ?
1. It is far too long, scenes which should be over in a flash are dragged out to the point of anger inducing tedium.
2. It is lazily written with far too many two dimensional characters. Kenneth Branagh is an authority figure, oh lets make him look like Hitler.
3. Would somebody please give Jack Davenport a different part? Here he yet again plays his Pirates of the Carribean role.
4. There is virtually no plot. What little there is is utterly unbelievable. The sham wedding story is terrible.
5. Would Richard Curtis please not give us Bill Nighy playing the aged louche rocker any more. It's getting tedious.

I could go on but I'm losing the will to live

Avoid

trueborndjross -> The boat that NEARLY rocked (20/4/2009 1:14:33 PM)

This definitely made for a fairly enjoyable Saturday night at the cinema but it's far from Curtis' best. It wasn't as funny as I'd expected it to be despite an excellent cast (who all do good turns) and it's too long. I thought the 'Titanic' bit at the end was a bit drawn out so I have to disagree with the Empire review on that point. Could have been a lot more fun I think but overall not a bad effort. Will definitely appeal to those who grew up in that era and you can't fault the soundtrack.

Mr E -> RE: The boat that NEARLY rocked (20/4/2009 11:05:28 PM)

Boring. Not funny. Awful. I really, really hated it.

1/5

musht -> RE: The boat that NEARLY rocked (21/4/2009 6:10:36 PM)

I really liked this film thought twas the best curtis film as it doesn't have the soppy romance crap, it's just about friendship and i thought that really worked, also it doesn't have andy mcdowell

Pinguman -> A Boat that really rocks. (27/4/2009 11:31:28 AM)

I have a soft spot for Richard Curtis. I think critics are always far to harsh on him when his films really only want to be a celebration of the best parts of life. Therefore, I think that "The Boat That Rocked" is an utterly fantastic and amazing film, which is hilarious and dramatic in equal parts, and provides enough room for solidly fantastic performances where, handled by a lesser director, would have become simple, one-sided characters. Hoffman's The Count is a joyous character, who underneath we can see the layers of mourning he has for a time in his life he has not yet lost. Rhys Darby's Angus is in part a hilarious idiotic DJ who has a terrified nature performed to perfection. The storyline is very well handled so that the ending becomes one of the most effective endings to a comedy I've seen since 'In Bruges'. I may be alone on this, but I thought it was excellent.

sam_stewart -> RE: The Boat That Rocked (5/5/2009 10:39:08 PM)

As a film at the cinema the boat that rocked is good as it has a sufficient amount of good standard humour to keep the audience happy. It also has a killer soundtrack with all the greats played at what seems the most perfect moments. Standout performances include Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Bill Nighy as always. However the film is way too long for this type of film it feels that there were atleast two suitable places for endings prior to the eventual climax. Also there are like 5 different sub plots in this movie which is great as long as they are all tidied up and explained and in the Boat that Rocked you are left wondering what became of the of these lost stories. 
All things considered this is a good comedy film - no where near one of richard curtis's best -  from which the most memorable aspect is the amazing soundtrack 

Moviebabe -> RE: The Boat That Rocked (6/5/2009 3:33:40 PM)

this has to be the funniest film i have seen i ages!!!!![:D]

Groovy Mule -> RE: The Boat That Rocked (9/6/2009 10:11:33 PM)

Just managed to catch this before it left one of the smallest screens in the West End.  I must admit the trailer had put me off a bit as had the myriad of mediocre reviews but despite those (and myself), I did find myself laughing.

This is a film with problems, make no mistake.  It is far too long by a good 20-30 mins and some of the subplots are completely unnecessary.  Likewise, it definitely feels like there were more strands of the film that went missing - did we really get a sense of how unpopular Angus felt he was? and did anyone else think that Jack Davenport and Kenneth Branagh's daughter were going to get it on?

However, a number of the characters and set pieces did make me laugh.  I found Kenneth Branagh particularly funny despite the Twatt joke (which isn't really) and whilst many of the familiar actors - Nighy, Hoffman, Davenport, Ifans are playing their usual on-screen personas, they are at least doing so with a high degree of charm.

It's not high art and its not a great film but it did make me laugh out loud and does have the trademark Richard Curtis middle class charm.  And if nothing else, the soundtrack will make you appreciate 60s rock and roll music.

7/10

S1lent B0b -> The Movie That Sucked (19/9/2009 5:36:53 PM)

Boring slow moving and just plain Dreadful

nc_jj -> (5/1/2010 8:54:55 PM)

Low-level writing. Great cast but [almost] poor direction. Indeed, this is The Boat that [Nearly] Rocked.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.100586E-02