The Thick of It - Series 4 starts Sat 8th Sep, BBC2, 9.45pm!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Goodfella -> The Thick of It - Series 4 starts Sat 8th Sep, BBC2, 9.45pm!! (26/3/2009 11:13:48 AM)

I just did a search and was shocked to find no thread for 'The Thick Of It'. I watched a few trailers and read Empire's coverage of 'In The Loop' recently and was instantly keen to check out 'The Thick Of It'.

I'm a bit of a cynic and love satire, especially if it's politically-based. It also reminded me a little of 'The Office' in the way it was filmed and it's deadpan, firmly-in-reality set ideas and script. Well I'm hooked, I've been watching the first series on youtube and its bloody brilliant. Armando Iaunncci is most certainly a genius and I can't wait to see the film now, could very well be the best comedy of the year.

I know there's a Christmas special but is there a second series as well?

elab49 -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (26/3/2009 11:23:20 AM)

The second series is a bit weird - the Xmas special was essentially in 3 parts. 2 parts of double length near each other at Xmas and then a 3rd from the Tory side shown a few month later. So it was kind of a second series. But not. So kind of weird!

I can reassure you you don't need to see it before you watch In the Loop, but I'd recommend it entirely for itself.

Goodfella -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (26/3/2009 11:25:55 AM)

Yeah I know that In The Loop is a seperate entity, story wise but I'd love to watch the entire show before I go see the film, am I right in saying the film is out here on the 4 April?

I wonder how long there is before there is an American remake of this, or maybe there already is?

elab49 -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (26/3/2009 11:30:11 AM)

There is a cast pilot up on IMDB but I think Iannucci said it fell through. It had some of the Spinal Tap people linked as well as the great Oliver Platt - a pilot I would love to get my hands on. But it didn't seem to get picked up.

IMDB shows 17th April.  I saw it at the Glasgow FIlm Festival and we'll be first in line to go see it again[:)]

Goodfella -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (26/3/2009 11:34:32 AM)

Without giving too much away, it lives up to the hype then?

It's the perfect mix for me next month as I've also just fallen in love with another TV show, The Sopranos. So The Thick Of It's genre and setting, Iaunnci's writing and James Gandolfini. Perfect![:D]

elab49 -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (26/3/2009 12:00:39 PM)

I thought it was the funniest thing I'd seen in the cinema for a long time. ANd more than that - Malcolm is the main character taken across and they give Capaldi much much more to play with. He's one of my first choices for deserved acting acknowledgments at your end.

Goodfella -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (26/3/2009 2:08:34 PM)

Malcolm Tucker is a great character but my personal favourite from the TV series is Hugh Abbott.

"I'm just human. I need to eat, sleep and occasionally take a dump. What are we going to do next? Put that on the evening news! Outside number ten, hey Mr Abbott how was your shit!?"

[sm=happy07.gif]

Goodfella -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (26/3/2009 4:11:42 PM)

Tucker's Scottish aide is a cracker as well -

"Ah Julius. What proposals have you got for us today? How's about a ban on sandcastles?"

[:D]

elab49 -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (26/3/2009 5:07:28 PM)

Jamie is the only other character to follow into the film (I've seen several stories including Ianucci saying it himself in a piece saying it is only Malcolm but it isn't. Unless the new character is also called Jamie, has the same job as Jamie and the same attitude as Jamie!).

Goodfella -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (26/3/2009 5:25:27 PM)

I've read a few interview with Iaunacci where he says he doesn't want this to be seen as The Thick Of It: The Movie but hopes it will be loved by the TV series fans and also attract a new generation of them which I think it has the very potential to do. James Gandolfini's involvement could see it do quite well Stateside but its early days yet.

Is there going to be a third series of the show do you know elab?

elab49 -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (26/3/2009 5:26:51 PM)

I thought the stuff without Langham worked just as well - and the Tory side with Roger Allam was inspired. Maybe if the film does well?

Goodfella -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (26/3/2009 5:29:19 PM)

The film could certainly open up many avenues for Iaunacci. I would love to a fresh, new satire TV show or film from him. The snippet in Empire's script notes this month made me rinse myself[:D] so I cannot wait for In The Loop!

punchdrunk -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (27/3/2009 10:39:32 PM)

I found myself wanting the politicians to get away with it, which is strange after seeing so much sleaze in both tories then labour I hoped that Malcom wouldn't find out...but then was glad he did with some great shouting and smart swearing.[:D] 

Amelie_Scotland -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (27/3/2009 11:30:58 PM)

Love it. Peter Capaldi has surely turned swearing and insults into an artform.

Goodfella -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (28/3/2009 12:30:53 AM)

I've just started watching the second series with Rise of the Nutters: The Christmas Special. I think it's absolutely brilliant, no doubt it takes some inspiration from The Office but it doesn't set out to be over-the-top funny yet has had me in stitches all the way through. Also the way the writing has captured politicians bevhaviour in front of the TV cameras is absolutely remarkable.

I cannot wait for the film!

nutteronabus -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (29/3/2009 9:51:06 PM)

Techincally the second series is the last three episodes of the first series, as they were shown a few months apart. The logic was that if they could make three episodes for the money they were given for a pilot, the BBC would probably just go ahead and commision another three.

Series three is currently being developed, with eight new expected to hit screens in late 2009/early 2010. It's been rumoured that the government will have been voted out, and Tucker will subsequently be devoid of power. That can only be unpleasant, and should make for some fantastic viewing.

Goodfella -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (12/4/2009 3:00:33 PM)

Anybody see the interviews with Tom Hollander and Armando Iaunacci on BBC News the other day? They're still writing the third series but expect it to be broadcast around Autumn time and it looks like Hollander's film character is going to replace Chris Langham's Hugh Abbott.

Anyone seen 'In The Loop' yet, I'm going to see it on Friday?

Boring Prophet -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (13/4/2009 11:20:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Anyone seen 'In The Loop' yet, I'm going to see it on Friday?

I dunno, are you? [;)]

I may go on Friday as well

Stewie_Griffin -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (13/4/2009 11:28:47 PM)

quote:

Anybody see the interviews with Tom Hollander and Armando Iaunacci on BBC News the other day? They're still writing the third series but expect it to be broadcast around Autumn time and it looks like Hollander's film character is going to replace Chris Langham's Hugh Abbott.

I didn't there's going to be another series. Decent.

elab49 -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (14/4/2009 9:06:35 AM)

I did, but I didn't know they were keeping Hollander. Any choice we get to keep the excellent Gina McKee as well?

Qwerty Norris -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (16/4/2009 6:03:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

quote:

I didn't there's going to be another series. Decent.

Neither did I. Ianucci usually tends to move on from projects a bit quicker.

elab49 -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (16/4/2009 8:28:15 AM)

Rise of the Nutters etc is getting repeated on BBC4 next week for anyone who missed them.

Goodfella -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (21/4/2009 9:50:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I did, but I didn't know they were keeping Hollander. Any choice we get to keep the excellent Gina McKee as well?

Really, I'm happy there keeping Hollander but am not a massive fan of Gina McKee.

Reidy -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (21/4/2009 10:05:27 AM)

Just watched this over the last week. Excellent stuff. Malcolm and Jamie are a brilliant combination.

But of course, 'In the Loop' comes nowhere near my nearest cinema. [:@]

elab49 -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (21/4/2009 10:07:49 AM)

quote:

quote:

Really, I'm happy there keeping Hollander but am not a massive fan of Gina McKee.

I liked having a character of that sort that stood up to Malcolm, was clearly intelligent, committed but found much of what they had to deal with exasperatingly funny. It might be the first competent character not entirely motivated by self-interest we've had in the show!

Rgirvan44 -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (21/4/2009 10:14:20 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I liked having a character of that sort that stood up to Malcolm, was clearly intelligent, committed but found much of what they had to deal with exasperatingly funny. It might be the first competent character not entirely motivated by self-interest we've had in the show!

She struck me as a character who was happy in the job she had, but didn't really care all that much about being an "insider". A lot of the time she is see doing stuff that has nothing to do with work. Nearly every other character is desperatley looking to keep their job, be promoted, or be kept "In the Loop".

Pretty much the best sort of civil servent.

Also I was slightly attracted to her. Is that wrong?

Goodfella -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (21/4/2009 10:16:23 AM)

I presume they're sticking with the Michael/Toby crew then and not reverting to the Glen/Olly crew then, especially considering Chris Langham won't be returning?

Rgirvan44 -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (21/4/2009 10:18:33 AM)

quote:

I presume they're sticking with the Michael/Toby crew then and not reverting to the Glen/Olly crew then, especially considering Chris Langham won't be returning?

I'm guessing so. Since they are pretty much the same people I would guess a name change isn't a big deal. Although I do have to wonder, given what happened at the end of the movie, what direction they are going to take it.

Goodfella -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (21/4/2009 10:23:45 AM)

Well they've started writing it already and it's due for an Autumn release so they must have had the ideas in the mind whilst completing editing on the film as well. I wonder whether there's any chance of a few cameos from James Gandolfini.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread (21/4/2009 10:26:15 AM)

quote:

Well they've started writing it already and it's due for an Autumn release so they must have had the ideas in the mind whilst completing editing on the film as well. I wonder whether there's any chance of a few cameos from James Gandolfini.

Well if they are using the Tom Hollinder character then I doubt it. I'm thinking it will be a much smaller scale piece. Really, as long as Tucker (and Jamie) is around then its all good.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI