X-Box Live Arcade Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad

the anomaly -> X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 10:54:49 AM)

The EMPIRE [image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0e/Xbox_Live_Arcade_Logo.png[/image] THREAD

To kick start the thread I would ask everyone to list their favourtie XBLA games and go on from there with the discussions and what not. *I thought I could post a list of games highly rated by everyone here at the start as a good introduction for what are the best XBLA games. Say 10 reccomendations gets a game on the front page. I will post links to reviews next to the top games.

If I get enough responses I could tally them up etc in to an empire total.

COMMING SOON!
*The Hall of Fame. Simply mention which are your favourite Xbox Live games. Each mention shall be one vote. Games with the most votes shall be stored in the hall of fame.
[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9d/Marwar_Hall.jpg[/image]

FREE GAMES: Hex and Dash of Destruction.

EDIT:

The Xbox Live Arcade Award goes to ..

Game of the Year
Castle Crashers

Best Versus Mode
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

Best Single Player Game
Portal: Still Alive

Best Remake
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

Best Original Game
Castle Crashers

Best Innovation
Braid

Best Graphics
Super Street Fight II Turbo HD Remix

Best Family Game
A Kingdom for Keflings

Best Co-op Mode
Castle Crashers

thatlittlemonkey -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 11:06:25 AM)

I've been quite lucky with my XBLA games.  Got the Arcade Unplugged disc when I bought my 360, as well as picking up the disc that comes with the arcade edition for a fiver.  At the beginning of last year, I also scored 9 free games when MS ran a refer a friend scheme (should've been 10, but I already had Bomberman) which included Assault Heroes, Marble Blast Ultra, SF2, Small Arms and some other stuff.  Plus I managed to score Carcassone and Undertow free too.

Out of all them, I'd recommend:
  • Pac Man: CE - actually really great fun.  All time-based challenges in mazes that shape-shift - made Pac Man fun again!
  • Dash of Destruction - nah...not really...[:D]
  • 3D Ultra MiniGolf - dead simple, but fun mini-golf, perfect for a Sunday afternoon multiplayer chill-out.
  • Carcassone - I really liked it.  Again, not too taxing, but get it on multiplayer and it's quite fun.
  • Bomberman - You cannot go wrong.  Multiplayer Valhalla.

the anomaly -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 11:09:04 AM)

My favourite XBLA games are as follows;
  • Braid
  • Bomberman
  • Castle Crashers
  • Assault Heroes: Only 400 MS points worth a go.
  • Geometry Wars
  • N+
  • Castlevania SOTN
  • Ikaruga
  • Streetfighter 2THFFFS
  • Marvel Vs Capcom 2

borstal -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 11:31:13 AM)

Geometry Wars (1&2)
Ikaruga
Braid
Marble Blast Ultra
Castlevania
Pac Man CE
Doom

I would have recommended Bomberman when everyone was playing it.

BigKovacs -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 11:33:43 AM)

• Braid. Stupidly good game, simple menus and hand painted flat visuals makes for a game you can duck into for 5 minutes ours 5 hours within a few seconds of hitting the dashboard button. It also has initially a simple, intuitive play style that gradually becomes ball bustingly complex. It makes you think without being unfair and the music is fanatstic.

•Watchmen. Despite the frankly bonkers omission of online coop this game has nice graphics as is a solid brawler in the vein of the wonderful Capcom beat em ups of the early 90's (in 3D obviously).

• Castle Crashers. I like anything with '4 player COOP' plastered on it but this was different mustard, a 4 player scrolling beat'em up with strong RPG elements? CHECK. Homage to the old skool like Golden Axe? CHECK. SImple but loving crafted hand drawn graphics? CHECK. All in a damn good game!

talpacino -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 12:40:20 PM)

Braid - Just class.
Prince of Persia - Great remake of the original.
Bomberman Live
Hexic HD
Worms

HIM -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 12:45:38 PM)

No love for Puzzle Quest? One of the best games recently, disc based or downloadable.

BigKovacs -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 12:47:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

Braid - Just class.

That pretty much sums up Braid, it shits pure class.

Sleazy -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 1:30:52 PM)

Soul Calibur - still great.
Track N Field - just as fun as you remember.
Bomberman - best version for a long time.
TMNT Arcade - finally a game i can "pwn" the kids on
Doom - another one where us oldies have the advantage

Harry Tuttle -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 1:40:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

No love for Puzzle Quest? One of the best games recently, disc based or downloadable.

Agreed, Puzzle Quest is amazing.

Also props to Braid, Geo Wars, Aegis Wing and the underrated Cloning Clyde.

britesparc -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 4:08:56 PM)

My fave XBLA games are probably as follows:

1. Braid
  2. Carcassonne
  3. Hexic HD
  4. Worms
  5. Doom
  6. Bejewelled 2
  7. Uno
  8. SWOS
  9. Geometry Wars
  10. Fable II Pub Games

Those are the ones I play the most, anyway.

I really love the service, though.  I keep meaning to buy Duke 3D, and I might give Peggle a try.  BTW, where's the form online to vote for our favourite XBLA games?  Can't find it on the Xbox site.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 4:11:45 PM)

Banjo Kazooie
N+
Hexic HD
Braid
Pacman Championship Edition

Probably the top 5 available, how anomaly doesn't rate Hexic is confusing to say the least, it's just so addictive.

BigKovacs -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 4:54:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy
TMNT Arcade - finally a game i can "pwn" the kids on
Doom - another one where us oldies have the advantage

Likewise, I like playing mans shooters like Ikaruga or R-Type, show the kids how it was back in the day.

the anomaly -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 5:19:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda
Probably the top 5 available, how anomaly doesn't rate Hexic is confusing to say the least, it's just so addictive.

I just can't seem to get into it. Though to be honest I have not really devoted any serious time to it. Kudos on N+ though I don't know how I forgot to add that to my list. Probaly because I have not played it in awhile. I do love it though. I will have to edit my list anyway.

quote:

ORIGINAL: britesparc
BTW, where's the form online to vote for our favourite XBLA games?  Can't find it on the Xbox site.

I can't be much help but it is on one of the windows on the dashboard. There does not seem to be a proper place for it.  I just googled it and whilst the link did not come up heres what the text said underneath

quote:

From your Xbox LIVE console, locate the Arcade Awards Voting Application slot in the Spotlight or Game Marketplace channel, and then press A to download...

Once you download it you make your choices then press B to close it. You can keep changing your choices up to the closing date.

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 8:44:32 PM)

My Top 5 are:

5. Undertow - Highly Addictive
4. Bomberman Live - Highly Addictive
3. Worms - Highly Addictive
2. Uno - Highly Addictive

*Drumroll*

1. Age Of Booty - Highly Addictive and just plain awesome! [:D]

Jules -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 10:18:08 PM)

Banjo Kazooie
Geometry Wars 2
Bomberman Live
Worms
Uno
Hexic HD
Carcassonne

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

That Doritos game is also FREE if anyone has yet to play it.

Yeah - but that really is fucking dreadful.

the anomaly -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 11:24:23 PM)

quote:

Reply to Message
Post New Poll
Submit Vote
quote:

ORIGINAL: Jules

Banjo Kazooie
Geometry Wars 2
Bomberman Live
Worms
Uno
Hexic HD
Carcassonne

quote:

That Doritos game is also FREE if anyone has yet to play it.

Yeah - but that really is fucking dreadful.

You get what you pay for. [:D] I never actually said it was good...just free! It's an easy 200 gamerpoints for anyone too. The fact that it has "Doritos" in title should already indicate to anyone that it is infact one big Dorito's advert but in game form. At least you don't have to pay for it...compared to those Mc Donalds games...

Jules -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (13/3/2009 11:30:29 PM)

quote:

You get what you pay for. [:D] I never actually said it was good...just free!

Yeah - I know[:D]

Was not an easy 200 for me though - playing it was too painful so I stopped at 40.[:D]

directorscut -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (14/3/2009 12:21:22 AM)

No love for Zuma?!

Yeti -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (14/3/2009 8:08:11 AM)

Puzzle Quest
Worms
Peggle
UNO
Crystal Defenders
Boogie Bunnies
Castlevania SOTN
Age Of Booty
Portal
Rocketbowl
Geometry Wars
Streetfighter 2THFFFS.

That is all. Here endeth the lesson, etc.

PS. I thought Braid was a big pile of toss, and really think the Penny Arcade thing had some merit, but since I've given both of them no time whatsoever, I ain't gonna judge 'em. Maybe Braid is good. I'unno. I take it on some good people's sayso that it is. So listen to them. I only played the demo. Sheesh, leave me alone willya?

joyous -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (15/3/2009 12:49:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

No love for Zuma?!

I have love for Zuma! Extremely addictive and fun. I don't have any arcade games on my 360. But I do play Zuma, Bomberman, Castle Crashers and just started Braid on the_anomaly's. So those would have to be my favourites oh and Frogger but I am pretty bad at that! I also have the full 200 points on that Doritos game. [:)]

EDIT: Oh and the_anomaly doesn't play Hexic because he is rubbish at it! It's a great game.

thatlittlemonkey -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (17/3/2009 2:07:15 PM)

I too quite like Zuma, although I thought Luxor 2 did the same thing slightly better.  Played a bit of Small Arms last night.  Not a Jeremy Beadle sim, as I first thought, but a bunch of animals kicking seven bells out of each other.  A mild distraction, not great.

So is there anything we should avoid?  So shite, it's not even worth downloading the demo.  May as well get the rough with the smooth, eh?

jediwarrior -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (17/3/2009 4:08:33 PM)

Outrun is due for Arcade Live. Might have to buy that.

As the x-box mag says hopefully Sega will now get round to releasing Daytona USA. I spent many a hour playing that in the Arcade.

James2183 -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (29/3/2009 12:57:42 PM)

Any date on OutRun?

DigitalSpy have a cool little article about cheap XBLA games that are currently available

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a150832/feature-must-play-community-games.html

Anyone hear tried making their own one yet? [:D]

juanvasquez -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (29/3/2009 1:59:28 PM)

The wife bought me a 4100 points card on Friday so I can finally unlock Peggle. I'm usually quite skint so any money I get for games usually go on retail games.

I've got:

Undertow - Very good fun. Made better by the fact it was FOC!
Duke Nukem 3D - Still a good laugh, harder than I remember, but maybe because I used to play everything on easy when I was a kid!
Bomberman - Brilliant. Was great when we had games nights playing that. Not so popular now though...
Carcasonne - I'm really not a strategy person but found this very enjoyable. Again made better by the fact it was free at the time.
Hexic HD - Addictive as hell and gets very hard.
Peggle - Only going off the trial but I love it and cannot wait for my points card to arrive so I can play more!

As for crap games, I played the trial of Mega Man 9 and it sucked and blew simultaniously

James2183 -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (29/3/2009 2:09:44 PM)

Peggle is awesome. It's the only game I have bought off XBLA at the moment but it's batshit insane in places and bloody addictive! I picked up 2100 points at the weekend and will see what I can get on there. One thing that will be picked up is the extra maps for CoD 4! [:D]

directorscut -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (29/3/2009 2:31:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Peggle is awesome. It's the only game I have bought off XBLA at the moment but it's batshit insane in places and bloody addictive! I picked up 2100 points at the weekend and will see what I can get on there. One thing that will be picked up is the extra maps for CoD 4! [:D]

A PC gamer paying for extra maps?  You are a disgrace to your kind! [sm=34.gif]

James2183 -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (29/3/2009 10:59:16 PM)

I assume community games do no come with achievement points? I just downloaded the demo of Artoon and really enjoyed it but was wondering whether I would get achievement points when I complete it? 

jediwarrior -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (30/3/2009 9:46:18 AM)

quote:

Any date on OutRun?

DigitalSpy have a cool little article about cheap XBLA games that are currently available

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a150832/feature-must-play-community-games.html

Anyone hear tried making their own one yet? [:D]

I think it's out on April 15th

thatlittlemonkey -> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread (30/3/2009 9:49:17 AM)

quote:

I assume community games do no come with achievement points? I just downloaded the demo of Artoon and really enjoyed it but was wondering whether I would get achievement points when I complete it? 

You assume correctly.  Neither do the Xbox Originals.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI