The Good, The Bad, The Weird (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> The Good, The Bad, The Weird (7/2/2009 7:40:27 PM)

Post your comments on this article

R W -> The Good, the Bad, the Weird (7/2/2009 7:40:27 PM)

Director: Kim Ji-woon
Screenwriters: Kim Ji-woon, Kim Min-suk
Starring: Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Jung Woo-sung

Synopsis
In 1930s Manchuria, three Korean outlaws try to acquire a map that will lead them to a treasure buried somewhere in the desert. As the race is on, they initially become targets by both the Japanese Army and Manchurian bandits.

Review
Through his body of work, South Korean director Kim Ji-woon has tackled a wide range of film genres, mostly horror and comedy. Inspired by Sergio Leone’s masterpiece The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Ji-woon takes on the Western genre with this familiar, yet original adventure that could turn the Korean filmmaker into the new Spielberg.

With a title like The Good, the Bad, the Weird, you will know that this is clearly a homage to the third installment of Leone’s Dollars Trilogy, as the film has a similar narrative structure to the spaghetti western with scenes such as a torture sequence, an epic battle and of course, an climatic standoff.

While it is thought-provoking, in which the story discusses how this treasure will help the wealth of various countries, it is a film you can’t really be serious about. Though the characterizations of our three protagonists mostly reflect on the performances of Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach, the script manages to bring enough originality to make the characters differ, particularly when they approach their fates.

To tell you the truth, it is all boys, noise and toys. While the Leone influence is written all over the film, Ji-woon’s direction is very reflective to the style of Spielberg, in which he has constructed some of the most inventive action sequences since Raiders of the Lost Ark. If anyone felt Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was disappointing, this is to make it up.

While he does not provide the ugly, The Host’s Song Kang-ho really brings in the weirdness as he plays a courageous thief whose scene-stealing antics makes him stepping into Eli Wallach’s boots. Lee Byung-hun, who we will be seeing in the upcoming G.I. Joe film, plays the typical cool, yet violent outlaw whose sick views on life, really gives the film a dark nature. As for the Good, while Jung Woo-sung has the physical heroism to be the Korean Harrison Ford, his reason for searching the treasure is quite unclear.

There is a scene in the end that does hint the idea of a sequel, but it felt more like an unnecessary add-on, because of what happens to the characters and the discovery of the treasure, they should have book ended it right there.

Verdict
In the end, it is an intelligent, Spielberg-esque Korean homage to the work of the master of the spaghetti western.

Lex Romero -> RE: The Good, the Bad, the Weird (7/2/2009 10:17:02 PM)

Really, that's all Empire is going to say about it?  That's all the writing room they're going to give to the film?  I know it's a foreign film and they inevitably get smaller reviews than the english language releases (unless there one of those big cross over successes) but with the boom of Korean cinema over the past 5 years, the success of the film back in South Korea and the varied genre filmography of the director you'd think Empire would dedicate a bit more space to it.  

richCie -> RE: The Good, the Bad, the Weird (7/2/2009 10:38:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lex Romero

Really, that's all Empire is going to say about it?  That's all the writing room they're going to give to the film?  I know it's a foreign film and they inevitably get smaller reviews than the english language releases (unless there one of those big cross over successes) but with the boom of Korean cinema over the past 5 years, the success of the film back in South Korea and the varied genre filmography of the director you'd think Empire would dedicate a bit more space to it.  

they generally do it on the size of a film's release, and unfortunately this ain't exactly going to be big is it?
Will be going to see this sometime this week, as I've found a cinema showing it in Bristol :)
just need to get there...

Al Swearengen -> RE: The Good, The Bad, The Weird (11/2/2009 11:05:27 AM)

i saw it in Cardiff Cineworld yesterday, cracking film.

moviemaniac2 -> The Good, the Bad, the Weird (12/2/2009 5:16:20 PM)

even though this action movie was never going to be a great film, it'll leave you with a stupid grin on your face and satisfaction that you've just got value for money. The value for money comes in the ambitious action set pieces and they won’t disappoint: Ji-woon Kim opens with a long train robbery before heading into a longer shoot out in a village and ends it with an even longer chase sequence across the desert where all the interested parties converge and shoot up a storm. These action scenes, bloody and violent, are also extremely funny, as if Kim was afraid he'd never get to direct again and wanted to put everything he ever thought up into them. It can get a tad confusing and does outstay its welcome, but there's no denying those inventive action sequences and that's the only real reason to watch this.

takaraheadon -> Well Impressed!! (3/3/2009 11:04:24 PM)

As i was saying im well impressed with this film!
the Kim Ji Woon films i have already are like high in the favorite movies list anyway, so this one was not a let down at all!
i was expecting it to be awesome, an i knew some of the actors in it already, Even if you dont watch subtitled films you should definetly give this a shot! it's action packed comical and well worth every penny!
Im sure your''ll be pleasently suprised at how much of a good mood your'll be in after watching it!

The film nearly flew by at the cinema because i hadnt heard anything about it for a while, so when my sister brought the lastest issue of empire (which was mabye the issue with gollum on the front) an i saw i page full advert for it i was straight down the cinema, boy was i happy with this!

Its been the only film in a while where i left the cinema not been disappointed with, if anything i was way more impressed at how good it was! An there's some magnificent camera shot's, epecially at the begining and the end!

ITS SOOO GOOD!!

filmburner30 -> (7/7/2009 10:03:10 AM)

cracking film packed with references to Leone ,Spielberg and many others .
Ok the plot wanders but the action is nonstop and the whole film is a real blast .
I loved it 8.5/10

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI