Lost Planet Adaptation Might Be Costly (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Lost Planet Adaptation Might Be Costly (23/1/2009 12:29:06 PM)

Post your comments on this article

UTB -> You almost sound suprised (23/1/2009 12:29:06 PM)

erebus2218 -> What about Halo?! (23/1/2009 12:29:43 PM)

Are they just skipping the Halo film and instead putting (almost) the same money on another game? Surely they must realise there's more money to be made adapting one of the greatest games of all time. Anyone whos seen Neill Blomkamp's Landfill would know they got someone who actually knows how to make a film like this.

erebus2218 -> What about Halo?! (23/1/2009 12:30:22 PM)

Are they just skipping the Halo film and instead putting (almost) the same money on another game? Surely they must realise there's more money to be made adapting one of the greatest games of all time. Anyone whos seen Neill Blomkamp's Landfill would know they got someone who actually knows how to make a film like this.

sowasred2012 -> Yeah but... (23/1/2009 1:09:47 PM)

that's a lot of money to pump into a sub-genre of movies that hasn't actually proved it can produce anything worthwhile. I think the best that video game-movies have produced is the Resident Evil trilogy (and I say that *purely* in terms of the bank it made because, as a huge fan of the games, I fucking hate every single one of them), which doesn't really justify such a ridiculous budget. Plus, as everyone else is saying, Halo is much more likely a property to make a big return on such an investment, given the fan base and the fact that if they got Peter Jackson and Neil Blomkamp back they'd have a winner on their hands.

Taz69 -> Halo died an early death and Lost Planet is no Halo (23/1/2009 2:02:10 PM)

I don't see how it would cost near $200 million. Just shoot it in northern Canada where it's all snow with semi built sets to hint at former labs and barracks and the actors in the usual snowy outfits and duff guns and cg bugs. The games was a generic sci-fi shooter and if this was made itr'll be a forgettable movie. Anyway it'll be made by Uwe Boll I'm sure.

Mr Terrific -> RE: Halo died an early death and Lost Planet is no Halo (23/1/2009 3:08:46 PM)

Its intriguing to say the least, how many people even know about the game?
Interesting plot though, just hope it has interesting characters, not cardboard cutouts...the script better be something special.

KeithM -> RE: Halo died an early death and Lost Planet is no Halo (23/1/2009 3:17:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Terrific
Its intriguing to say the least, how many people even know about the game?

I don't know anything at all about the game (never even heard of it to be honest).

I will see (or not see) the movie based solely on whether it looks like it might appeal.

Frankly, it's probably a good thing I haven't heard of it.  I've heard of Halo, for example, and I have already dismissed any movie version as a cheap (quality-wise) cash-in on the game's popularity - i.e. not remotely an artistic endeavour done for story reasons.  Perhaps this will be the same, but my lack of knowledge at least earns it more of a chance than most video game adaptations.

sowasred2012 -> RE: Halo died an early death and Lost Planet is no Halo (23/1/2009 3:53:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KeithM

I have already dismissed any movie version as a cheap (quality-wise) cash-in on the game's popularity - i.e. not remotely an artistic endeavour done for story reasons.

Really? Look at this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tOvvKegdhRE

The guy who directed that, Neil Blomkamp, and Peter Jackson as an exec producer (or producer, I don't remember) were all set to make the movie, and you think it would've been a cheap cash-in? These clips and the talent behind them are the reason everybody got so worked up about a Halo movie in the first place.

KeithM -> RE: Halo died an early death and Lost Planet is no Halo (23/1/2009 4:07:30 PM)

You miss my point.  I'm not talking about the actuality.  It may well have been an excellent movie.  I'm talking about preconceptions about yet another video game to movie adaptation.  If I've heard of the game, then I'm more likely to be initially dismissive.  That's just the way it is.

I'm not so closed minded as to hold that view if it actually looks good once in production, but that last bit is key and the reality is that they would have to overcome the initial scepticism of many more people than just me if they hope to make it a success.  Not impossible, for sure, but to deny that it is a factor is pointless.

Brundlesflies -> RE: Halo died an early death and Lost Planet is no Halo (23/1/2009 4:09:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sowasred2012

quote:

ORIGINAL: KeithM

I have already dismissed any movie version as a cheap (quality-wise) cash-in on the game's popularity - i.e. not remotely an artistic endeavour done for story reasons.

Really? Look at this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tOvvKegdhRE

The guy who directed that, Neil Blomkamp, and Peter Jackson as an exec producer (or producer, I don't remember) were all set to make the movie, and you think it would've been a cheap cash-in? These clips and the talent behind them are the reason everybody got so worked up about a Halo movie in the first place.

To be honest tho, while that was well made, it just looks like a combination of Aliens & Starship Troopers. I think that's the problem with video game adaps on the whole, a large percentage are based on successful films or film genres in the first place (Resident Evil=Romero's Zombie flicks, Tomb Raider=Indy etc). While this can make them great to play, the adaps that come up are basically 3rd hand already

And $200m on an adaptation is looney tunes (IMO)

sowasred2012 -> RE: Halo died an early death and Lost Planet is no Halo (23/1/2009 4:26:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brundlesflies

To be honest tho, while that was well made, it just looks like a combination of Aliens & Starship Troopers. I think that's the problem with video game adaps on the whole, a large percentage are based on successful films or film genres in the first place (Resident Evil=Romero's Zombie flicks, Tomb Raider=Indy etc). While this can make them great to play, the adaps that come up are basically 3rd hand already

And $200m on an adaptation is looney tunes (IMO)

Yeah, you could level that complaint/observation at the Halo games too (and I think many, including fans, already have mentioned Aliens and ST on more than a few occasions).

And KeithM, good point, well made.

boriordan -> Not a chance (23/1/2009 4:31:59 PM)

There is NO WAY this movie will get the go ahead with a budget over $75 mill (MAX).

mightyhypnotoad -> RE: Halo (23/1/2009 4:55:38 PM)

The reason Halo was put on hold wasn't as simple as the budget. Microsoft struck the original deal to produce Halo in partnership with Fox and Universal (I think, it might have been another studio) as a joint venture. Microsoft and Bungie were demanding 10% off the back end which meant that Fox and Universal were going to have to split the remaining 90% between them 45% a pop and they decided that only 45% of the final profits wasn't worth investing approximately 90 million a piece especially on the back of Peter Jackson's insistance on using Neil Blomkamp. However after the deal fell through Fox turned around and bought Universals share of the rights and now hold the exclusive rights to make the movie themselves. So the Halo movie isn't quite dead yet but since Fox are notorously tight with thier purse strings (look at the AVP1 + 2 shoe string budgets for one of thier greatest IP's) I wouldn't expect Halo to be the sweeping SCi Fi epic we all know in our hearts that it could be. Back to topic however this movie will not go under before production starts as Capcom are investing a lot o their own money into the project. War on a distant planet using giant Mechs against giant insect like creatures with a $200 million budget consider my bum parked in a seat.

Mr Terrific -> RE: Halo (23/1/2009 4:59:54 PM)

quote:

There is NO WAY this movie will get the go ahead with a budget over $75 mill (MAX).

You don't know that for sure. It has some pretty heavy hitters behind the project...

Some stuff to read

here

KeithM -> RE: Halo (23/1/2009 5:14:29 PM)

Capcom probably (possibly - I didn't actually check) make more money from video games than studios do from films, so they may find the budget a lot easier to stomach than the studios... Just a thought worth bearing in mind.

Mr Terrific -> RE: Halo (23/1/2009 5:39:22 PM)

quote:

Capcom probably (possibly - I didn't actually check) make more money from video games than studios do from films, so they may find the budget a lot easier to stomach than the studios... Just a thought worth bearing in mind.

Yeah, I think that's where money is coming from.  I think they are seeking you use top of the range special FX on this one. Plus get some real talent on board.

bleugh07 -> wtf?! (24/1/2009 12:51:26 PM)

they're making a lost planet film and not a halo one? halo is much better! this is ridiculous.
I'd like to see halo done either by chris nolan or peter jackson for epicness or by someone random to do it as a sort of cloverfield -type thing with nice action, but
HALO: A MICHAEL BAY FILM would be retarded

Mr Terrific -> RE: wtf?! (24/1/2009 3:34:37 PM)

quote:

they're making a lost planet film and not a halo one? halo is much better! this is ridiculous.
I'd like to see halo done either by chris nolan or peter jackson for epicness or by someone random to do it as a sort of cloverfield -type thing with nice action, but
HALO: A MICHAEL BAY FILM would be retarded

Sir, I will refer you to this post...explains much!

quote:

The reason Halo was put on hold wasn't as simple as the budget. Microsoft struck the original deal to produce Halo in partnership with Fox and Universal (I think, it might have been another studio) as a joint venture. Microsoft and Bungie were demanding 10% off the back end which meant that Fox and Universal were going to have to split the remaining 90% between them 45% a pop and they decided that only 45% of the final profits wasn't worth investing approximately 90 million a piece especially on the back of Peter Jackson's insistance on using Neil Blomkamp. However after the deal fell through Fox turned around and bought Universals share of the rights and now hold the exclusive rights to make the movie themselves. So the Halo movie isn't quite dead yet but since Fox are notorously tight with thier purse strings (look at the AVP1 + 2 shoe string budgets for one of thier greatest IP's) I wouldn't expect Halo to be the sweeping SCi Fi epic we all know in our hearts that it could be. Back to topic however this movie will not go under before production starts as Capcom are investing a lot o their own money into the project. War on a distant planet using giant Mechs against giant insect like creatures with a $200 million budget consider my bum parked in a seat.

Mr Terrific -> RE: wtf?! (24/1/2009 6:01:31 PM)

Hmmm, this is what they are working with I guess.

See what you think

Here

KeithM -> RE: wtf?! (24/1/2009 6:53:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bleugh07

they're making a lost planet film and not a halo one?

Who are 'they'?  'They' are not choosing between Lost Planet and Halo - the properties belong to completely different companies (Capcom/Microsoft).

quote:

halo is much better!

Sez you.  Even if that's true, I really don't see Capcom forking out to make a movie based on another company's game.  That would be ridiculous.

quote:

this is ridiculous.

No.  See above.

quote:

I'd like to see halo done either by chris nolan or peter jackson for epicness

And I'd like to sit on Ganymede and watch Jupiter rise - not sure which of our wishes will come true first mind.  Yours is ever so slightly more likely, but I still think I have almost as good a chance...

quote:

or by someone random to do it as a sort of cloverfield -type thing with nice action, but HALO: A MICHAEL BAY FILM would be retarded

But HALO: A ROBERT JONES (from down the pub) FILM would be better?

So, what you're really trying to say is that you really, really, really really, really really really love Halo so very, very much that you don't want any more films made, by anyone, anywhere, until you get your Halo film?  Even it's made by some random bloke from down the pub.  And if they make or even think about making any other movies you will complain in about it any other random movie thread until you get your own way?  Is that about right?

Now, if you still want to talk 'ridiculous', let's start with you.  [:D]

juanvasquez -> RE: wtf?! (24/1/2009 6:54:33 PM)

As much as I love the game, it's just gonna be Starship Troopers on ice. Which the game is pretty much. Only with added pirates.

KeithM -> RE: wtf?! (24/1/2009 6:55:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Terrific

Hmmm, this is what they are working with I guess.

See what you think

Here

So, it's another bug hunt then? [:D]

Mr Terrific -> RE: wtf?! (24/1/2009 7:06:00 PM)

quote:

So, it's another bug hunt then?

Huge ass bugs!

It has the potential to be an entertaining movie, depends who they get on board, they already have David Hayter scripting..( He did drafts of X-men and Watchmen...also is voice of Solid Snake). 

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.320313E-02