RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online

theram05 -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (30/1/2009 1:58:18 PM)

Its fallen apart of late, I dont even read it anymore to be honest now that I cant enter the comp.

DJ Satan -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (30/1/2009 2:10:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

I don't even get sent the weekly email anymore.

Not seen it for over a year now.

I've never been sent the newsletter, despite signing up over 3 years ago and posting the odd reminder in the bugs thread.

doubtlesswonder -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (30/1/2009 8:43:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Acho
It's a little bit funny. [:D]

I speak as a lady who knows exactly what you're talking about! Why, if I had a nickel for every time my assumed gender had to be corrected.....I'd buy something for two dollars.

Acho has the right attitude about it. It's not worth getting all het up and indignant.

I wasn't being indignant....I was being picky [sm=tongueout.gif]

Meh...I shall formerly retract my previous suggestion (I'd edit it, but I just can't be arsed), as I can't be bothered to....be bothered.

Acho does indeed have the right attitude....as does Gimli. Leave them guessing, I like it. Perhaps they'll have the same reaction the guys at work did when we were talking about boobs and girls in uniform [:D]

Oh and....one more vote for not being able to change usernames. I'm still getting the hang of remembering who's who!

richCie -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (31/1/2009 11:21:38 AM)

i will stage a protest if name changing is allowed! who's with me?

theram05 -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (3/2/2009 8:26:07 AM)

Not me, I'll be all for it in some form or other.

Felix -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (3/2/2009 8:39:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

It wont be.

theram05 -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (3/2/2009 8:40:23 AM)

Ah nuts, thought I was finally going to get rid of the 05.

richCie -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (3/2/2009 8:43:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

It wont be.

i know. i like bold claims though :)

DJ Satan -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (5/2/2009 3:53:53 PM)

Just remembered one thing I would like to see.

Can links be a different colour? They show up a different colour when posts are previewed but end up he normal colour when posted. This can make them hard to spot.

Stewie_Griffin -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (5/2/2009 4:06:30 PM)

Would be possible to disable the reply function or, at the very least, lock threads for threads for films that have just opened? (Untill the film in question has opened, of course) I can see morons giving one star reviews to films like Watchmen and Terminator Salvation before they've actually seen those films. It may actually cut back on the bullshit that Moderators have to read.

sharkboy -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (1/3/2009 3:47:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

Just remembered one thing I would like to see.

Can links be a different colour? They show up a different colour when posts are previewed but end up he normal colour when posted. This can make them hard to spot.

Unfortunately, it's probably gonna be up to the poster to add the appropriate colour and underline tags when creating the post, but we can raise it with the powers that be.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (1/3/2009 5:05:30 PM)

With the name-changing, how about you have to have been registered for a year before you can have a namechange, the per 500 post/6 months limit and requesting from a mod/Subtitle change ideas are all also good. As for the post count thing, anytime someone has attempted to use that to lord over someone, they usually get derided mercilessly, so I really don't think it's a big deal to keep it.

Also, I know this will never happen, but I'll ask anyway. A chatroom?

Funkyrae -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (1/3/2009 7:13:22 PM)

There is a function that gets used occasionally called gabbly, it's been on here a couple of times and never really took off.  It's much the same sort of thing as a chatroom but couldn't really be moderated as you could sign in under any name you liked and it's run from a different site.

I have to say I can't really see the point of a chatroom on here to be honest DH.  It's far easier to use things like MSN for chatting and a chatroom sort of moves away from the fact that this is a forum.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (1/3/2009 9:19:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

I have to say I can't really see the point of a chatroom on here to be honest DH.  It's far easier to use things like MSN for chatting and a chatroom sort of moves away from the fact that this is a forum.

Well, maybe. Just that another forum I joined has it as built in thing (lot smaller than Empire is, so probably much easier for them to do), and I thought it would just make the forum a little more fun for newbies to get to know people etc. Anyway, just a thought![:D]

Funkyrae -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (1/3/2009 10:00:24 PM)

No, I completely see your point and agree with how it could help forge better relations, but I think Empire's a bit too big for it really.  Not that it's up to me or that I have any say in the matter anyway [:D]

Starscream -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (1/3/2009 10:26:30 PM)

We should be able to post pictures in Future Films threads like the orange forum use to have.

smila darcy -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (14/3/2009 5:59:12 PM)

There have been loads of great suggestions in here, apart from the name changing one![:D]

Mine's about the Actors & Auteurs/ Objects of Desire forums.  I think perhaps a little clean up in there wouldn't go amiss.  There are threads in there that maybe would be better off in Musings.  As for OfD, I think it would be better if it worked in the same way as Mammoth Threads in Off Topic.  By this I mean threads over x amount of posts get transferred over and also that threads can't be started there. 

Olaf -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (29/3/2009 2:43:06 PM)

Don't know if it's possible, but what about being able to hotlink Flickr images?

richCie -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (29/3/2009 9:47:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Starscream

We should be able to post pictures in Future Films threads like the orange forum use to have.

we can't do that?

DJ Satan -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (30/3/2009 1:33:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Don't know if it's possible, but what about being able to hotlink Flickr images?

Wouldn't that be an issue with flickr rather than Empire?

Olaf -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (1/4/2009 10:59:41 PM)

Yeah, I guess. What about png files?

JonathanMardukas -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (15/4/2009 4:06:59 PM)

Why was jonty_agutter who started a thread http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2323689 looking for a small piece of advice on a scene for an assignment treated so unfairly. Even if it is Empire's policy to lock such threads I believe they would be better to send the thread starter a PM rather than demeaning him after 4 posts. Clearly as he was new to the site, he was unaware of what he was doing. I cannot see why this thread had to be locked anyway. He wasnt asking for a 10 page essay, merely a suggestion.

P.S - Still love the site and mag, this is just an observation.

Peppermint -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (15/4/2009 4:25:35 PM)

He wasn't treated unfairly.  He was given a link to the guidelines in his thread and even though he was new, it doesn't mean that the guidelines don't apply to him.  Also, we can't make an exception on this otherwise we'll have to start doing so for everyone.

In addition, there is a thread about the guidelines which people are asked to read before they begin posting.

JonathanMardukas -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (15/4/2009 4:31:40 PM)

Ok, fair points. I totally understand the guidelines issue etc. But it seemed from the response to his question that all he had to put into his 1st post was e.g. "my favourite scene is the opening one" and the thread would not have been locked.

Peppermint -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (15/4/2009 4:34:44 PM)

It may not have been, though I'm not sure as I'm not the Mod that locked it.  We do kind of expect people to start a discussion with those kind of threads though, otherwise they're just a standard homework thread and we lock them straightaway.

I think that thread would have needed more than saying "My favourite scene is the one where you can spot Hitchcock's cameo" though [:)]

JonathanMardukas -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (15/4/2009 4:37:33 PM)

Ok, no problem, Curiosity is fulfilled and your points well made!

Spiked -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (3/5/2009 4:21:29 PM)

I am new to this forum, but so far I have had a great time here on what seems to be a real nice community site. Looking forward to getting to know you all, and thanks for making me seem welcome. I have been on sites in the past where the newbie just gets chewed out for being new. Its pathetic!

See you around!

Harley Quinn -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (7/5/2009 4:19:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spiked

I am new to this forum, but so far I have had a great time here on what seems to be a real nice community site. Looking forward to getting to know you all, and thanks for making me seem welcome. I have been on sites in the past where the newbie just gets chewed out for being new. Its pathetic!

See you around!

Hi spiked there is a new members thread in off topic. You will get greeted nicely in there.

Gram123 -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (18/5/2009 10:10:19 PM)

I think a Blu Ray forum is becoming more desirable over time.

In DVD Discussion, there are lots of blu threads these days. Currently there are:
9 blu ray threads on page 1
4 on page 2
9 on page 3
etc

If it's not considered big enough to get it's own full forum, perhaps "BD Discussion" could be added as a sub-forum of DVD Discussion, as with Objects of Desire under Actors and Auters.

If it's a no go, then maybe just renaming DVD Discussion to "DVD & Blu Ray Discussion" or similar?

Pigeon Army -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (27/5/2009 8:38:26 AM)

Spurred on by a recent discussion in "People on this forum" (Off Topic Mammoth Threads), I have something to suggest. If you don't agree, that's super. If you do, however, which I hope you do, I would be incredibly grateful to see it acted upon.

The whole "don't talk about banned members" thing strikes me as a bit odd. I mean, it's not like the banned members will feasibly ever see it again, and there are members who have done good things before they went off the rails or whose bannings are a) sudden and unnoticed until later, b) part of a larger picture which makes them hilarious (I mean, Executive Producer still gets a lot of airplay around these parts, and he was banned), or c) in the very rare case, under unusual and possibly questionable circumstances (I think people have mentioned the one banning that's confused me). I don't see the need for a blanket banning of all discussion about a banned member and everything they did - we're all adults here, and once again, if they're banned, the implication is they'll never see it again. I know this place isn't a democracy, but I don't see the need for the supression of discussion of the banned - how else are we to learn what is bad and what is good than by having them there as examples? Not only that, but the rule seems a bit self-defeating in the manner of Herostratus - by banning the mentioning of their name, it has the opposite effect and makes them more interesting and discussion of them more prolific.

Note, this is pretty much the only problem I have with the Empire system as it runs today, and it's only a recent complaint. I think it's something that does need addressing.

Please don't ban me.

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI