RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online

DJ Satan -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (16/1/2009 9:10:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

In my experience with Forums I've always found the best way to deal with Post Counts is to leave them displayed, but set it so posts in Off Topic forums don't count. It might not work on here, which is a much bigger forum than a lot of other places, but it does mean that the people who are interested in post counts can't just go into Fun and Games and post shit all day long. To be honest I don't really see the point in the post count anyway. Having a large post count means people can see you've posted a lot and perhaps are seen as a more established member of the forum, but surely posting a lot means your name will get recognised anyway due to the frequency of seeing it. Did that make sense?!

I don't agree with that. Many posts in Off-Topic have far more weight to them to compared to what's posted in Movie Musings.

I agree about Fun and Games though. That can go. [:D]

Peppermint -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (16/1/2009 1:14:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

I don't agree with that. Many posts in Off-Topic have far more weight to them to compared to what's posted in Movie Musings.

What a good idea.  Let's get rid of the one forum where none of the Mods have to step in and stop people arguing [sm=tongueout.gif]

clownfoot -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (16/1/2009 1:17:52 PM)

Can we get a new vending machine in Musings? The cheese and pickle sandwich selection is jammed and I'm tottally Hank at the moment.  

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (16/1/2009 1:26:07 PM)

Can we choose to turn off avs.  This makes it easier to have a look at the site while at work [:D]

DJ Satan -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (16/1/2009 1:34:45 PM)

It's not been mentioned yet but can we keep the ban of images in the signature. Some forums I use are almost unusable as each sig takes up half a page of graphics.

rikkie -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (16/1/2009 1:37:46 PM)

quote:

It's not been mentioned yet but can we keep the ban of images in the signature. Some forums I use are almost unusable as each sig takes up half a page of graphics.

Hell yeah - I made the mistake of looking at the Sci-Fi channel's BSG forums and there are practically unreadable because of the ridiculous images in people's sigs.

Spider -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (16/1/2009 1:46:26 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

In my experience with Forums I've always found the best way to deal with Post Counts is to leave them displayed, but set it so posts in Off Topic forums don't count. It might not work on here, which is a much bigger forum than a lot of other places, but it does mean that the people who are interested in post counts can't just go into Fun and Games and post shit all day long. To be honest I don't really see the point in the post count anyway. Having a large post count means people can see you've posted a lot and perhaps are seen as a more established member of the forum, but surely posting a lot means your name will get recognised anyway due to the frequency of seeing it. Did that make sense?!

It's not Off Topic, it's places like Mammoth Threads or Fun And Games where the posts are all one line or less. It makes a mockery of the post count really since there's people who will only post in Movie forums and have a relatively puny count. I would be happy to see it go though.

Stewie_Griffin -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (16/1/2009 2:30:42 PM)

quote:

If this comes into effect, we should make an exception for Acho, just because it's Acho.

Felix -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (16/1/2009 2:34:31 PM)

Its already in effect Stewie. See, we're not the gestapo some people make us out to be...

Stewie_Griffin -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (16/1/2009 2:36:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Its already in effect Stewie. See, we're not the gestapo some people make us out to be...

Well I didn't know that.

Felix -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (16/1/2009 2:39:54 PM)

From the Guidelines...

quote:

Smilies in sigs are allowed if they are no larger than 5K and if they are comparable in visual size to post smilies used on the forum. Banners are definitely not allowed. Signature smilies not meeting these limits will be removed by a mod and the user notified by PM.

richCie -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (16/1/2009 5:17:58 PM)

ok i've decided to 100% support the idea of seperating the main page generated threads from the forum.
check out this travesty of a thread:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=277454&mpage=1&key=&NID=14714#2181572

Captain Black -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (16/1/2009 5:32:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Can we choose to turn off avs.  This makes it easier to have a look at the site while at work [:D]

You can do that already, go to My Empire -> My Forum Preferences and there's a checkbox listed by Speed Options.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (17/1/2009 8:44:01 AM)

With regards to the post count, if there was ever a reason to discredit the idea that a high post count equals quality posts, then it's me. [:D]

I have no idea why people should think those with a high post count have better things to say. Common sense would dictate otherwise.

richCie -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (19/1/2009 2:05:17 PM)

i am getting a little annoyed with the condensing everything to one thread thing. the eden lake thread in movie musings i feel warranted a seperate thread, after all it wasnt a review but a discussion of the film and its themes. i think this policy stifles discussion rather than encourages it, and i feel it's a policy that needs some serious reconsideration.

if donavan was to post his Original post in the review topic it would change the focus of the thread and anyone who turned up half way through simply to post a review then they'd seem entirely out of place.

shool -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (19/1/2009 4:39:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rikkie

I would be 100% against people being able to change their usernames. That way madness lies!

Even if it was done or had to be done by a mod?

rikkie -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (19/1/2009 4:47:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

I would be 100% against people being able to change their usernames. That way madness lies!

Yup.

shool -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (19/1/2009 5:05:11 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

Yup.

I've just read the rest of the thread I see it covers a big discussion on this already. [:)]

Acho -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (19/1/2009 5:37:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

quote:

If this comes into effect, we should make an exception for Acho, just because it's Acho.

Aw, thanks Stewie! [:)]

Although maybe I should draw attention to it in this thread...!

Based on what's been said so far, I agree with condensing the number of forums. Soundtracks as a sub-forum of Audiophile, combining all the DVD ones, that kind of thing.

And a definite yes to removing some of the lesser used smilies which are on the left panel, clicking on 'more smileys' means having extra windows open.

rich -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (19/1/2009 8:51:41 PM)

If you've gotta change anything, stop the title changes in replies so that I can see the topic that is actually being discussed in the most recent reply.

richCie -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (19/1/2009 10:15:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

If you've gotta change anything, stop the title changes in replies so that I can see the topic that is actually being discussed in the most recent reply.

actually thats not a bad idea...

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (19/1/2009 10:29:07 PM)

But what would we do about the ED < LOTR thread?! That title is changed frequently to reflect the true nature of LOTR being greater than ED. [:D][;)]

richCie -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (19/1/2009 10:51:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

But what would we do about the ED < LOTR thread?! That title is changed frequently to reflect the true nature of LOTR being greater than ED. [:D][;)]

exceptions can be made!

Rhubarb -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (20/1/2009 12:55:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

You mean propagating the lie that LOTR is in some way superior to ED? Quality is better than Quantity remember. [:D]

DJ Satan -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (20/1/2009 10:30:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

actually thats not a bad idea...

But sometimes the topic of discussion does drift, especially in the larger threads.

Joedini -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (20/1/2009 10:52:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

i am getting a little annoyed with the condensing everything to one thread thing. the eden lake thread in movie musings i feel warranted a seperate thread, after all it wasnt a review but a discussion of the film and its themes. i think this policy stifles discussion rather than encourages it, and i feel it's a policy that needs some serious reconsideration.

I agree with this 100%, sometimes mods can be a little too lock happy.

I also like the post count, keep it where it is [:)]

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (20/1/2009 12:36:49 PM)

I think this is of relevance on this thread. 

richCie -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (20/1/2009 3:01:08 PM)

generally i find that movie musings leaves alot to be desired, there is very little serious discussion going on, something which i'd rather enjoy, which is why i think that seperate discussion threads are a good thing (not lots of them but one for each film like homer suggested in that thread he linked)

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (22/1/2009 2:20:10 PM)

Since then I've found that Favourite Films can often be a good source for discussion of films that aren't new releases - the TWBB thread (he says self-advertising), for instance, has thrown up a couple of good discussions. 

Rinc -> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! (22/1/2009 3:04:18 PM)

Changing usernames would be madness!

The post count should also stay as 99.9% of people on here welcome newbies. That said on the Film Reviews forum i'll often scan a thread and just read the reviews from users with quite a few posts, but that's mainly because there's so many people with 1 or 2 posts who just post rubbish.

Condensing some of the forums would be good. Like making Golden Oldies a sub forum of Favourite Films, Soundtracks a sub forum of Audiophile and DVD Club a sub forum of DVD Discussion. Also as Homer said Knowledge Base belongs in On Another Topic.

And yes get rid of the review section!

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI