Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Blunderbuss -> Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/1/2009 11:14:41 AM)

Just read this post on IGN about this new Comedy Central show that is intended to be a spoof of Sword & Sorcery shows like Hercules & Xena (although both those sailed close to the land of spoof themselves) .  It stars former Eastender-turned-Hollywood Z-Lister Sean Maguire & Matt Lucas.

Its also a BBC/Comedy Central co-production, which suggests that it will be coming to UK screens soon (BBC3 anyone?).

Good be good or could be bobbins.  Hard to tell right now, tho' the trailer on IGN ins't great.  Colour me mildly curious right now...

giddig -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (8/6/2009 10:18:37 PM)

Might be fun. India De Beaufort is in it and she makes it worth a look!
[image]http://image.com.com/tv/images/processed/default/df/e7/270562.jpg[/image]

sanchia -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (8/6/2009 10:24:18 PM)

Thursday BBC2 at 9 p.m.
[image]http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/943/943567/krod-mandoon-and-the-flaming-sword-of-fire-20090109004800477.jpg[/image]

icelandicwolf -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (9/6/2009 9:10:19 AM)

am looking forward to this most

elab49 -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (9/6/2009 10:07:35 AM)

I love the RT is trying to sell it as love it or hate it when the critics that I saw universally loathed it. Still - I guess they have to at least try to justify wasting the cash buying it just because Lucas was involved.

sanchia -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (9/6/2009 1:16:34 PM)

Sean Maguire is in it and I struggle to think of one thing he has been in in recent years which was worthwhile. The last thing I can think of was Off Centre which was half decent.

giddig -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (9/6/2009 6:51:28 PM)

Minus Maguire = much better!

Timon -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (11/6/2009 4:23:59 PM)

Saw the trailer. Will be avoiding this like a day trip to Skegness.

Funkyrae -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (11/6/2009 9:01:16 PM)

Really?  Looks like a laugh to me.  I had my channel selector thing automatically changing over in case I forgot.  

Scruffybobby -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (11/6/2009 10:30:00 PM)

The review in the Radio Times said "this does for sword and sorcery what Red Dwarf did for sci fi" or words to that effect. Surely they mean Hyperdrive?  This was very, very poor. Sean Maguire really doesn't have the charm or the chops to play the dumb hero and Matt Lucas is just annoying so far.  There were some decent production values and a coulpe of decent jokes but hardly enough to fill an hour, and the none too subtle sexual references just grated. Not even the cut price Xena - who is admittedly rather lovely is going to save this I fear.

elab49 -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (11/6/2009 10:35:45 PM)

I lasted about 20 minutes, but only that long to see Roger Allam.

Anyone outdo that?

deniseA -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (11/6/2009 10:48:39 PM)

I think I lasted just over 12.  I then decided it was catastrophically bad.  Which I suspected it was going to be, but I guess morbid curiosity got the better of me.

It reaffirmed that I really don't care for Matt Lucas.

Fletcher -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (11/6/2009 11:00:02 PM)

Still. Its still not as bad aas Meet the Spartans![:D]

Funkyrae -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (11/6/2009 11:14:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I lasted about 20 minutes, but only that long to see Roger Allam.

Anyone outdo that?

Yep, I watched the whole thing.  No it wasn't riotously funny, but there were giggle moments.  Absolute childish almost panto humour, not exactly intelligent or massively creative and yeah, I could go on forever about how the crap points outweigh the very few good, but I'll watch it again next week.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 12:34:45 AM)

I didn't last beyond the "stay at home mom" joke and the guy hiting his head on some wood.

I watch Police Squad, the gold standard of this kinda thing and they play it totally straight-  the best piss takes do not wink at the audience. I checked out after 2 mins. Doesn't sound like I am missing much.

tftrman -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 9:56:30 AM)

I lasted 20 minutes. Load of shit.

emogeek -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 10:57:55 AM)

As seems to be the norm, I lasted about 15-20 minutes (if only that were true in other areas, my wife would be a much happier woman)

I think I gave up just after the introduction of the 70's stereotype homosexual.

Rinc -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 11:32:27 AM)

I gave up after about 10 mins, it was awful.

great_badir -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 1:22:01 PM)

I was gonna wait for Matt Lucas to turn up to see if he was playing his typical over the top gay character.  As it is, I made it as far as "no more crossbows for you, ever".  About 10-11 minutes, for those who didn't even make it that far.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

The review in the Radio Times said "this does for sword and sorcery what Red Dwarf did for sci fi" or words to that effect. Surely they mean Hyperdrive?  This was very, very poor. Sean Maguire really doesn't have the charm or the chops to play the dumb hero and Matt Lucas is just annoying so far.  There were some decent production values and a coulpe of decent jokes but hardly enough to fill an hour, and the none too subtle sexual references just grated. Not even the cut price Xena - who is admittedly rather lovely is going to save this I fear.

Hyperdrive was MUCH better than this.  And Hyperdrive was largely shit.

Edit - reminded me of a family friendlier Gladiatress.  Which was also shit.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 1:24:13 PM)

Maid Marion and her Merry Men did all of this a lot better.

And that was a kids show.

Blunderbuss -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 2:59:37 PM)

Utter bobbins as I feared.  Although it will probably do okay in the ratings thanks to rabid Little Britain Fans getting their fix of Matt Lucas (who along with his sidekick was the best thing in it, although that isn't saying much).

If you're going to do this sort of spoof well you really have to play it straight and let the comedy be inherent in the unwitting ridiculousness of the characters and some clever sight gags, as with the best of the ZAZ movies (Airplane, Naked Gun, etc.).  One of the major problems with Krod Muldoon (other than the script and the casting) is that most of the actors play it as if they're in on the joke.

Oh and they really do try and flog some of the 'jokes' to death.  Being a bad shot with a crossbow and accidentally shooting your ally rather than your enemy might be mildly amusing once or possibly twice, but after the fifth repetition it loses whatever chuckle raising powers it might have had...

filmburner30 -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 3:03:11 PM)

lasted about 5 mins turned over and watched traffic cops which was funnier.
Will wait for Psychoville from 2 members of the League Of Gentlemen instead.

crap of the highest order ,watch Maid Marion and Her Merry men on dvd to  see how its really done 

LEEJGM -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 4:10:13 PM)

Lasted 7-8 mins.  I slightly sniggered when he walked into the oak post and it went downhill from there.  I expected to be shit and I was right.

giddig -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 5:30:43 PM)

My expectations were really very low so thought it was very weak and very silly but not unbearable. Will give it another go just incase it improves. I just don't get why they insist on Maguire's awful American accent, what's that all about?!

Baby Bear -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 5:50:26 PM)

I'm going to watch it on iplayer this evening......

I have wine, so that always greases the wheels on shite programmes..........

Wish me luck.............I'm going in.............   .........   .........   ..........   .........

Baby Bear -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 5:51:45 PM)

.........36 seconds............[:D]

EDIT: I'll pour a larger glass and try again.....Sean is so worth a watch ( I really could do him a mischief! )

If I don't post for a couple of days, can somebody knock at my house to make sure I'm alright after watching it...please?....

FlangeBags -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 8:33:08 PM)

I find myself in the minority here, cos I really enjoyed it!
Yes, it was stupid and peurile but it was funny, in a disengage-your-brain kind of way!

And the woman in it is stunning!

sanchia -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (12/6/2009 8:36:07 PM)

This put out all the cliches within the fantasy genre but in such a cliched way and the "jokes" were so telegraphed that it truly failed, The whole thing belayed the low budget and whilst it admitedly had ambitions they could not be achieved. One of the biggest queries I had was how did the attractive female type person make the supposedly sexy dance she had to do so unsexy?

Frank Castle -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (13/6/2009 7:00:21 AM)

I managed to watch it all the way threw and it was pretty poor.You could see most of the jokes a mile away. the best thing in it was prob matt lucus who seemed to be at least having fun with his role. (his sidekick though surely a role made for david walliams???)
Well i found the dance quite sexy!! [8|] she is fit though!!

Baby Bear -> RE: Krod Mandoon & the Flaming Sword of Fire (13/6/2009 9:06:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

I managed to watch it all the way threw and it was pretty poor.You could see most of the jokes a mile away. the best thing in it was prob matt lucus who seemed to be at least having fun with his role. (his sidekick though surely a role made for david walliams???)
Well i found the dance quite sexy!! [8|] she is fit though!!

With you all the way on that one. Do you think Walliams said " I will wear the fat suit, throw up on cue and grope a granny, but I REFUSE to appear in Krod Mandaloon. I have principals, you know? "

However, I will be watching it for the fact I love the way Sean delivers his lines. Call me easily pleased at such eye candy.............

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI