RE: Happy Birthday Jaws (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films

Sutty -> RE: Happy Birthday Jaws (17/9/2012 3:39:12 PM)

The opening scene (teens sat around the camp fire drinking) with them obviously smoking dope. Never heard the "inhaling" sounds before and loved how just as someone put a joint to their lips Spielberg blocked the shot.

There were also a few scenes that on DVD/VHS I could of swore happened at night but as it turns out they happened at dusk/dawn. The picture clarity/sharpness/brightness is truly awesome. The Orca never looked more beautiful. And the sound of Mrs Kintners slap? Whoa!

On a side issue... We all know what happens to Quint when he finally comes face to face with the Shark, but does anyone else think that the other proposed death scene would have been better, or more fitting?
Quints leg was supposed to get snagged or trapped in a rope/wire and he gets pulled in to the sea where ol' Bruce gets his choppers round him. Brody or Hooper manage to throw Quint his knife and he goes down hacking and stabbing away at the shark. Which, though futile, is kind of cool and much more in parallel to his Captain Ahab type character (Since Ahab went down with the whale in a very similar way). This, fitted with the deleted scene in the cinema with Quint watching, and laughing his ass off at Moby Dick, would be quite fitting.

What do you think?

PS.

Love his demise now of course and this is in no way a criticism of one the greatest movies of all time............!!

jonson -> RE: Happy Birthday Jaws (15/11/2012 7:44:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

On a side issue... We all know what happens to Quint when he finally comes face to face with the Shark, but does anyone else think that the other proposed death scene would have been better, or more fitting?
Quints leg was supposed to get snagged or trapped in a rope/wire and he gets pulled in to the sea where ol' Bruce gets his choppers round him. Brody or Hooper manage to throw Quint his knife and he goes down hacking and stabbing away at the shark. Which, though futile, is kind of cool and much more in parallel to his Captain Ahab type character (Since Ahab went down with the whale in a very similar way). This, fitted with the deleted scene in the cinema with Quint watching, and laughing his ass off at Moby Dick, would be quite fitting.

Would have been cool Sutty, I know what you're saying.
I love the ending as it is, and love the delated scenes (that make Quint out to be slightly more bonkers - I always think this would have helped in the scene when he overheats the engine.
It seems slightly more out of character (his ignoring Hooper and Brody when he should know damn well what would happen) in the normal context of the film, but those deleted scenes show a slightly more mad Quint, more unpredictable, someone who doesn't really "fit in" with society.
This is hinted at throughout the film, Quint being a loner, being his own man, but only slightly.
His assistant is little more than his dog, I wouldn't be surprised if Quint is ever aware of his existence)
The idea of him being dragged underwater, fighting, stabbing and being drowned by Bruce would have been good

Believe it or not, I've got the BluRay but still haven't bought myself a Bluray player. [:D] I'll get round to it sometime.

Anyway, a screen shot from the new Call of Duty game. How cool is that? [:D]

[image]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/Shark001/IMG_2738.jpg[/image]

jobloffski -> RE: Happy Birthday Jaws (15/11/2012 9:41:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

The opening scene (teens sat around the camp fire drinking) with them obviously smoking dope. Never heard the "inhaling" sounds before and loved how just as someone put a joint to their lips Spielberg blocked the shot.

There were also a few scenes that on DVD/VHS I could of swore happened at night but as it turns out they happened at dusk/dawn. The picture clarity/sharpness/brightness is truly awesome. The Orca never looked more beautiful. And the sound of Mrs Kintners slap? Whoa!

What do you think?

PS.

Love his demise now of course and this is in no way a criticism of one the greatest movies of all time............!!

Seems a little silly to me. Happier with the 'bitten in half' ending for it being to wedded to to the nightmare experience he carries with him of the USS Indianapolis. The source of his obsession, including memories of a friend bitten in half, calling his boat Orca, seeing himself as the killer of sharks in revenge for the past, ending up exactly in the situation of the worst memory nightmare from the he is trying to deal with. That's Ahab enough for me, feel the 'watching Moby Dick' thing would have been just a little bit too on the nose. And as for ineffectually fighting at the end, he does try to kick out at the shark, if I recall. Quint's obsession is more than just Ahab's self destructive pride, I feel, more tragically motivated, so too much Ahab on screen means less Quint, for me.

Bit of silliness, pronounce Quint with a French accent, now there's a character summation[;)]

Mr Gittes -> RE: Jaws (23/3/2013 2:41:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quint

I can't belive the placing of Jaws in the empire top 201.

SPOLIER

I think Bryan Singer put it best: "Where is it? Eleven? It should be number one!"

Damn straight man! Always knew that guy knew his stuff! 

One of the reasons why I love Bryan Singer [:D]

But yeah, Jaws = my all-time favourite movie. I love it so fucking much (sometimes swearing is necessary to convey the gravity of a situation).

talpacino -> RE: Jaws (10/4/2013 1:02:30 PM)

http://shipinbottles.com/jaws-scene.html

Brilliant!

[image]http://shipinbottles.com/uploads/2/7/4/6/2746465/4152523_orig.jpg[/image]

jonson -> RE: Jaws (29/5/2013 7:41:58 AM)

Nice find Tal, that's Jawsome! [:D] Probably the kind of thing I'd re-mortgage the house for as well [:@]

check this for a minimalist film poster

[image]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/27/article-2331519-1A005D4A000005DC-82_634x911.jpg[/image]

Daily Mail link I'm afraid, but there's some amazing film poster ideas, really cool.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2331519/Michal-Krasnopolski-Designer-s-brilliant-minimalist-posters-classic-films-using-just-circle-stripes.html

dillon.anderson1378 -> RE: Jaws (29/5/2013 11:03:29 AM)

Haha that is a solid poster [8|]

But I think the original poster for Jaws has got to be one of the greatest film posters of all time!

I am here -> RE: Jaws (7/6/2013 1:14:40 AM)

New here,

So my first post had to be about Jaws, it was the movie that got me interested in cinema as a kid. I always thought it was Spielbergs masterpiece based solely on the craft of the film making.

Recently I found Fredric Jameson's interpretation intersting in"Reification and Utopia in Mass culture" article.
A summary here: http://culturalstudiesnow.blogspot.com/2011/05/fredric-jameson-reification-and-utopia.html
Full:http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/466409?uid=3739832&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21102372625507

Dannybohy -> RE: Jaws (7/6/2013 10:27:20 AM)

Ok so after dissing this movie recently I went away and watched it on Bluray. I was wrong, it is still a great great movie and the slightly iffy shark effects are not as bad as I thought I remembered it being!.

I was wrong, this film is class...and a classic. thoroughly enjoyed it after so so many years!

I am here -> RE: Jaws (8/6/2013 1:16:47 AM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKk3k1MgDhs

I love Orson Welles and I think Spielberg enjoyed his other films besides Citizen Kane aswell.

great_badir -> RE: Jaws (10/6/2013 1:06:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy
Ok so after dissing this movie recently I went away and watched it on Bluray. I was wrong, it is still a great great movie and the slightly iffy shark effects are not as bad as I thought I remembered it being!.

I was wrong, this film is class...and a classic. thoroughly enjoyed it after so so many years!

I've always defended Bruce - when it's just him and Brody at the end, particularly when Brody's at the top of the Orca's...crow's nest?, but that bit when Bruce pops up and Brody's stabbing him with the spike, I think it looks great, even by today's standards (compare, for example, how Bruce looks in that scene compared to pretty much anything in Deep Blue Sea).

Also, I cannot believe you dissed it. I thought Jaws was the one film that everybody on the planet loved and was illegal to bad-mouth...

Dannybohy -> RE: Jaws (10/6/2013 4:28:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

I've always defended Bruce - when it's just him and Brody at the end, particularly when Brody's at the top of the Orca's...crow's nest?, but that bit when Bruce pops up and Brody's stabbing him with the spike, I think it looks great, even by today's standards (compare, for example, how Bruce looks in that scene compared to pretty much anything in Deep Blue Sea).

Also, I cannot believe you dissed it. I thought Jaws was the one film that everybody on the planet loved and was illegal to bad-mouth...

Well there is lots of things illegal that we all do on a daily basis. I had convinced myself it was dated (in a bad way) and had a man in a big rubber shark suit humming dderr deer deerr deerr!. Like i said, i was wrong, it has stood the test of time.

Mr Gittes -> RE: Jaws (12/6/2013 12:37:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

*sigh* I thought so too, buddy. Sadly, my ENTIRE Graphics class - in total about 20 people (if you want to call them that) - hated Jaws and would always give me crap for it being my favourite movie. This included the teacher as well, by the way; so it wasn't just my generation that I lost faith in, it was the entire human race [sm=icon_smile_pistols.gif]

Chopper -> RE: Jaws (20/6/2013 10:20:21 PM)

Watch: Full Two-Hour 'Inside Jaws' Filmumentary Available Online

Following his work on the complete collection of fan-made Star Wars Trilogy filmumentaries and another feature length filmumentary, this time highlighting George Lucas and Steven Spielberg's iconic adventure flick Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jamie Benning is back with Inside Jaws. As you might be able to guess, this unofficial, non-profit project goes behind the scenes of Steven Spielberg's classic film Jaws. Compiling a whole slew of interviews, photos, footage and more, the filmumentary is an in-depth dive into the deep water of terror that is Jaws.

http://vimeo.com/68400837

It's brilliant, enjoy everyone!!!!

Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.929688E-02