Jaws (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films

Quint -> Jaws (30/9/2005 4:00:57 PM)

Chat about the greatest film ever made (about a big ass fish anyway)

Quint -> RE: Jaws (28/1/2006 12:13:39 AM)

I can't belive the placing of Jaws in the empire top 201.

SPOLIER

I think Bryan Singer put it best: "Where is it? Eleven? It should be number one!"

Damn straight man! Always knew that guy knew his stuff! 

tommyjarvis -> RE: Jaws (29/1/2006 5:27:53 PM)

Meh. I thought Jaws was OK, a couple of good scares, but somewhat overrated. Personally i found Deep Blue Sea and Lake Placid more entertaining [granted, they may not be better in terms of acting, directing etc, but we're talking about blockbusters here.] Jurassic Park wipes the floor with Jaws

doctorolorinbats1975 -> RE: Jaws (29/1/2006 5:43:21 PM)

What about the story then? Jurassic Park is great and all, but there's no characters, unlike Jaws' Brody, Quint and Hooper.

tommyjarvis -> RE: Jaws (30/1/2006 1:15:11 PM)

I thought the characters were fine in Jurassic Park, as much as they need to be for a decent blockbuster. Does Star Wars or LOTR have particularly detailed characters? And since blockbusters are designed for entertainment value, I judge them on that criteria and personally I enjoyed JP more.

Not that Jaws is a bad film, it's just not as great as some people make it out to be.

bub -> RE: Jaws (30/1/2006 2:16:07 PM)

Jaws is my all time number 2 movie. Sorry The Thing just makes number 1. Jaws is one of those rare films for me because I never get bored watching it. No matter how many times I see it I still get that same rush as when I first saw it as a kid. [sm=happy34.gif]

doctorolorinbats1975 -> RE: Jaws (30/1/2006 6:25:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TommyJarvis

I thought the characters were fine in Jurassic Park, as much as they need to be for a decent blockbuster. Does Star Wars or LOTR have particularly detailed characters? And since blockbusters are designed for entertainment value, I judge them on that criteria and personally I enjoyed JP more.

Not that Jaws is a bad film, it's just not as great as some people make it out to be.

Well yeah actually, SW and LOTR have excellent characterisation. JP is dry indeed: the Dinosaurs are the stars of the movies. Jaws works because those three excellent characters we care for out in the sea.

Zebra 3 -> RE: Jaws (30/1/2006 11:07:47 PM)

Jaws ('75) is the only horror movie to ever scare me. A true classic!

Hooch0959 -> RE: Jaws (31/1/2006 11:43:39 AM)

My number one film of all time ever in my opinion and i reflected that in my top 20 vote, fantastic characters and character interaction, superb choice of actors, although rumour has it Paul Newman, Robert Refdord and Lee Marvin were orginally considered, outstanding direction.

Favorite Scenes (excluding the obvious Quint speech and Opening sequence)

The Camera shot up the beach towards the Chief during the Lilo attack
When the Chief's Son is copying at the Dinner Table
The whole section on the boat looking for Jaws and finding Ben Gardners Boat.

I Could go on but I ain't Clever enough to write scriputure on the technical aspects of the film, but i do know

IT ROCKS BABY!!!!!!!!!!

thepluginbaby -> RE: Jaws (2/2/2006 4:33:36 PM)

Jaws is my first memory of movies period.  As a kid it was about the shark but as you get older you appreciate the characters and the aesthetics of it all.  Truly a masterpiece!  Even though Jurassic Park is my favourite movie of all time, it wouldn't be so without Jaws if you see what I mean.  From the zoom in on Chief Brody, Quint's monologue, to the shooting stars that streak across the sky as the Orca floats on the ocean, its magical and totally mesmerising.  And to all those simpleton's who complain of the shark's plasticness...  It gets worse as the series goes on.

[image]http://www.jabootu.com/images/jawstrhold.jpg[/image]

Private Hudson -> RE: Jaws (7/2/2006 2:07:37 AM)

Yep, the first movie that obssessed me was Jaws.

It still is up there with Spielberg's best (close run thing between Jaws and ET) and is just so funny, scary and adventurous that what's not to love.

The actors are all fab from Roy Schieder to Murray Hamilton, not forgetting dear old Robert "Red Grant" Shaw.

Oh and some bloke called Dreyfuss!

simonmckergan1 -> RE: Jaws (9/2/2006 1:32:54 PM)

The very first film I remember as a child was Jaws, mainly the music and the start, that always freaked me out!.  I think i was 8 or 9 before I saw the whole film.  Will always love this film.  On a side note does anyone know about the new Jaws computer game  is coming out on the x-box and ps2, where you play as the shark?

Trapman9 -> RE: Jaws (14/3/2006 9:28:56 AM)

It is simply the best movie ever made!It is 30 years old and still it scares the crap out of me!The actors,the soundtrack,the horror...

Woger -> RE: Jaws (14/3/2006 10:25:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

What can I say, my forum name isn't just a snappy handle, its due to a 30 year obsession with sharks courtesy of Mr Spielberg's masterpiece.  I remember sneaking into the local fleapit to see it when it was released against my mothers wishes.  The lights dimmed and that theme started...at that moment an obsessive was born!  Next day I rushed to my library and checked out every book on sharks I could find.  I even had the librarian ordering books for me without having to ask her to.

I can't wait to get the 30th anniversary DVD to see the full 2 hour documentary.  I've already got the set for the 25th, but the extended documentary is reason enough to splash out again.  Though don't splash too much - it attracts sharks you know!

Speaking of sharks, has anyone been watching Channel 5's Killer Shark shows this week?  If so, does anyone else wish they'd just feed that presenter to the sharks?  What a line last night - they were talking about the effect Jaws had on the population, covering the hunters and fishermen who became determined to wipe the creature out, and almost succeeded in doing so.  Their expert said that his fascination, like many others, stemmed from first seeing the movie.  The presenter's response- "So there you go, Jaws was good for the Great White" Yeah, if you ignore the assholes that used it as an excuse to push it towards extinction that is..  The look of amazement on the experts face when he came off with that was priceless.

This fella Mark Marks has a great show where he swims outside the cage with the sharks.
http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/safari/shark/expert/expert19.html

Great film aswell, I haven't seen it in a long time but I used to enjoy Jaws 2 when I was younger.

Jessica_ca_ca_ca -> RE: Jaws (15/3/2006 9:43:16 AM)

Hooper: [points to a scar on chest] Mary Ellen Moffat. She broke my heart.

The entirety of Jaws is class. Don't care what anyone says. The music is haunting, yet it seems to completely natural to the film, everyone is totally freaked out by it.

The cast was incredible. My fav was Dreyfuss [:D] I don't think the sequels do the original justice to be honest, but they still keep me out of the water!

Quint -> RE: Jaws (21/5/2006 5:53:29 PM)

Of the sequals, Jaws 2 aint bad, its not fit to hold the originals name but as a film its not too bad. The others are awful, just brain meltingly bad. they make me wish i was crucified.

doctorolorinbats1975 -> RE: Jaws (21/5/2006 5:54:42 PM)

Jaws should never had a sequel.

Jessica_ca_ca_ca -> RE: Jaws (22/5/2006 9:18:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

Couldn't agree more, doc. Jaws was just fine on her own.

doubleshiny -> RE: Jaws (22/5/2006 6:35:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

I don't know, I think the sequels make it look better by comparison, like going on the pull with an ugly friend.

Couldn't agree more, doc. Jaws was just fine on her own.

Kat Brown -> RE: Jaws (23/5/2006 5:59:18 PM)

Ah, Jaws-tastic. Like sharkboy and Jonson I absolutely fell in love with sharks after watching Jaws, and despite only being 7 somehow managed to persuad my folks to rent me all the rest of them. Weirdos. While Jaws 2 is actually quite good (c'mon, it's a teen slasher film on the sea!) the other two are beyond dreadful. Jaws 3 at least comes out the otherside as a work of hallucinogenic genius, but Jaws 4 should be burned for sins against fact and fiction.

Timon -> RE: Jaws (27/5/2006 2:35:23 PM)

[image]http://www.funchase.com/Images/Theatres/Jaws%20BB.jpg[/image]

"I'm not going to waste my time arguing with a man who's lining up to be a hot lunch."

Philo Bedo -> RE: Jaws (27/5/2006 3:51:23 PM)

"I want those little paint happy bastards caught and hung up by their buster browns.!!"

Quality show; one of the best ever.  

Has anyone else noticed in the fourth one that in a few of the scenes the big underwater crane that they use for the shark is clearly visable.  Adds to the shittyness of it, but i cant help watching it if it's on.

Timon -> RE: Jaws (20/7/2007 4:05:16 PM)

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1276308,00.html

Timon -> RE: Jaws (20/7/2007 4:16:21 PM)

Upon perusing this thread, I've noticed I never wrote anything of substance about the film...which is odd considering it (along with Raiders) is my favorite film of all time.

So where to begin? Me trading in my 25th anniversary DVD just so I could get the R1 30th Anniversary DVD? The fact that the 'head' scene was the first time I said 'Fuck' in front of my parents? The fact that I'm now obsessed with seeing a film about the USS Indianapolis?

Either way, I think Jaws affected me more than I'd care to admit. I still get nervous when I swim in the sea - that feeling that something is watching you, that primal fear of teeth and drowning is something I've never been able to shake.

But it's not just the shark killing young boys or promisicuous teenagers, it's all about the characters; Martin "I'm the Chief, I can do whatever I want." Brody, Matt Hooper and of course Quint are perhaps the best trio of characters dumped together in to a film. Be it their initial bickering ("You've got city hands Mr Hooper! Been counting money all your life!") to their bonding over tattoos and drunken singing really sells them to you. You want them to survive and you want them to slay the beast.

[image]http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/actors_films_images/steven_spielberg_jaws_boat_dragging_shark.jpg[/image]

Now the shark often gets a lot of stick. It really shouldn't. When it appears, it's in short, effective bursts and when it's not seen, you feel it. The ripples on the water, the barrels moving towards The Orca and of course, John Williams score.

[image]http://www.horrorstew.com/images/Jaws2.jpg[/image]

At the end of the day though is the fact that it's timeless. I'm not talking about the FX or the styles, but the story. The whole man Vs beast or the 'one man/group standing alone' - it's the stuff of legend, which is what Jaws is. A cinematic legend.

I just hope the documentary, The Shark Is Still Working gets a theatrical release. I'd be there opening day.

Sutty -> RE: Jaws (20/7/2007 7:38:42 PM)

Forget The Godfather, Shawshank, Goodfellas, fucking Lord of the Rings. This is the greatest film of all time.

mayor vaughn -> RE: Jaws (20/7/2007 10:01:27 PM)

Without doubt the greatest movie ever.Saw it over 100 times before i was 18.

davidjthomson -> RE: Jaws (24/7/2007 9:43:16 AM)

Such a perfect film, it deserves recognition.

Whilst it may have been the first true blockbuster, the overall quality of the acting, writing and directing puts it in a level above blockbuster.

The tales of the troubled production are many, the questions over WHO really did come up with the monologue about USS INDIANAPOLIS, the dated special effects, all mean it should have faded into memory, but the sheer quality shines through every time.

Any film that can seamlessly go from the drunken singing and scar comparing to THAT monlogue is a classic.

Shame about the sequels, I have seen 2&3, can't bring myself to watch 4.  I will only ever watch the first one.

Jurassic Park is not fit to be held in comparison.  That really was a summer blockbuster with it's action toy range, depthless characters and a plot written on the back of a cigarette packet.

Going to watch Jaws again now.  Wife will still look away for the head/boat scene.

Deviation -> RE: Jaws (24/7/2007 12:07:15 PM)

Jaws 4 is the funniest film ever made....................

krudler -> RE: Jaws (24/7/2007 12:52:17 PM)

one of those movies,along with jurassic park,raiders and back to the future that no matter how many times ive seen it,and it must be in the 100s if not more by now, i can still watch it from start to finish every time its on tv and never get tired of it,fucking awesome

Johnny Fingers -> RE: Jaws (24/7/2007 1:15:16 PM)

"What shall I tell the kids?"
"Tell em I'm goin fishin"

Greatest film ever made.  Superb direction, fantastic screenplay, brilliant score and wonderful performances.  Scheider is the standout for me but everyone is fantastic.  The script is so quotable and guaranteed if I'm on a night out with the boys lines from the film will come up at some stage. 

Can't say enough good things about it........film making at it's very best and so much better than Jurassic Park (in Jaws the kids get eaten for breakfast).  JP has it's moments (T-Rex etc) but Jaws has the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI