RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films

jermreen -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (19/1/2009 4:27:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

I also think that the Stallone film got a lot right, my biggest issue with it has always been Stallone himself as Dredd.

Regarding this new one I think getting a star to play him will be a mistake unless they can transcend their image and go the whole film wearing the helmet. Brad Pitt is a superstar who takes risks with his career but if someone like Pitt played Dredd then you'd only be seeing the actor and not the character. Karl Urban I still think is a great choice but I also keep seeing Hugo Weaving in the role. Am I nuts or could he make a good Dredd?

Hmmm it really is a tough one as to who should actually the play the great man of the law but I stick to what I said earlier about not having him as the main character but possibly have a rookie or a PSI Judge. I dont know how non-Dredd fans would react to a character who never takes off his helmet.

danbo1138 -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (19/1/2009 11:10:20 PM)

Sorry Marwood but Hugo is a non starter for me too[:)],thing is being a life long Dredd fan i can't think of anyone to play Dredd at all.None of the names i've read about work,the guy has to be the most imposing badass on earth and none of the current hollywood/indie crowd have that look,i just hope that who ever gets the role has.He's not just a Judge he's THE Judge.

check out the Judges taking down harry potter [:D]
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=97ldOMYhqr4
Long shot i know but how about Daaniel Day Lewis? hes got the chin and the acting chops? cat in hells chance but a good idea methinks

ky -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (20/1/2009 6:17:42 PM)

quote:

Sorry Marwood but Hugo is a non starter for me too[:)],thing is being a life long Dredd fan i can't think of anyone to play Dredd at all.None of the names i've read about work,the guy has to be the most imposing badass on earth and none of the current hollywood/indie crowd have that look,i just hope that who ever gets the role has.He's not just a Judge he's THE Judge.

Yeah, I think it's an odd thing to try to cast. Some buff meat-head would be wrong and someone skinny like Weaving would be wrong too (another reason he'd be wrong is because he'd end up using that dumb voice he used for Agent Smith, Elrond and Megatron).

Think an unknown would be best. Anyone famous would try to act too macho and put on an insanely gruff voice (something along the lines of Bale's in Dark Knight - eek!)

Dr Strainedlove -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (20/1/2009 7:58:44 PM)

All a good Judge Dredd film really needs is this panel...on loop:

[image]http://jb.24-7intouch.com/forum/uploads/IanMuir/2004-05-12_071015_scan0003.jpg[/image]

danbo1138 -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (7/2/2009 2:09:59 PM)

Thought of a guy who could play Dredd..what about Jon Hamm off Mad Men?failing that he would make a great Batman should Bale meltdown anytime soon...again.
http://www.amctv.com/originals/madmen/cast/ddraper

adambatman82 -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (8/2/2009 1:46:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: danbo1138

Thought of a guy who could play Dredd..what about Jon Hamm off Mad Men?failing that he would make a great Batman should Bale meltdown anytime soon...again.

thats actually a great idea. have you got any other roles youd like to see him play??[:D]

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (8/2/2009 2:00:13 PM)

I'm going out on a limb here but I think The Rock would make a good Dredd......

danbo1138 -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (9/2/2009 3:37:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

thats actually a great idea. have you got any other roles youd like to see him play??[:D]

quote:

adambatman82
a brother bloom

quote:

thats actually a great idea. have you got any other roles youd like to see him play??

i bet he could do a good Superman too.he has that classic 70's comic book hero look,you know when they all seemed to have dark blue hair.

GandalfTheGrey -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (11/2/2009 5:26:17 PM)

I think I heard that John Hamm was on the shortlist for playing Bond before they cast Daniel Craig

Marwood -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (12/2/2009 3:23:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GandalfTheGrey

I think I heard that John Hamm was on the shortlist for playing Bond before they cast Daniel Craig

He wasn't among the other touted contenders. Having finally sat down to watch The Wire I could see Dominic West taking on Dredd.

Mr Terrific -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (20/2/2009 6:44:13 PM)

More concept art here.

danbo1138 -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (21/2/2009 1:22:34 PM)

thats not tied with the film.its done by a 2000ad artist though,just off his own back for fun i guess.he posted them himself on the 2000ad forum a while back,called Jock i think?

Invader_Ace -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (21/2/2009 3:12:04 PM)

quote:

He wasn't among the other touted contenders. Having finally sat down to watch The Wire I could see Dominic West taking on Dredd.

Yes.  This is the correct choice.  That is all.

Timon -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (8/4/2009 2:08:06 PM)

Ray Stevenson.

Big, broad, has the chin. Makes nails look gay.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (8/4/2009 2:17:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Ray Stevenson.

I came into this thread to suggest the same actor. Mr. Stevenson is exactly what this film needs.

Marwood -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (10/4/2009 3:01:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Ray Stevenson.

I came into this thread to suggest the same actor. Mr. Stevenson is exactly what this film needs.

Good call, hopefully Punisher:Warzone hasn't killed his leading man possiblities stone dead.

Grexnix -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (3/5/2009 3:19:15 PM)

Hello people, new user here. Here's my thoughts.

The actor who plays Dredd does have to look the part but i believe more important (especially if he doesn't reveal his face) is his voice. One of the problems with Stallone was the man could barely speak (not his fault as i believe his face is half paralysed or something..?). The talk about 300 got me thinking about Gerard Butler. What do you reckon? He has the look - athletic and bulky enough without looking like a meathead and he can also do the 'F*** you, i'm in charge - do as i say or you're dead' bit very well.

Marwood -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (4/5/2009 11:38:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grexnix

Hello people, new user here. Here's my thoughts.

The actor who plays Dredd does have to look the part but i believe more important (especially if he doesn't reveal his face) is his voice. One of the problems with Stallone was the man could barely speak (not his fault as i believe his face is half paralysed or something..?). The talk about 300 got me thinking about Gerard Butler. What do you reckon? He has the look - athletic and bulky enough without looking like a meathead and he can also do the 'F*** you, i'm in charge - do as i say or you're dead' bit very well.

You are in Hell little man....and I am The Devil! Just kidding, welcome to the forums mate.

Good call on Butler, since 300 and RocknRolla he always springs to mind for me when thinking of actors for gruff (yet heroic) leading men. I could totally see him as Dredd.

I think I'm probably in the minority here but I really didn't have a problem with Stallone as Dredd tbh, now I mean that when he's got the helmet on and actually doing his Judge thing he was just fine in the role (though not outstanding). The big problem I thought was when the helmet comes off.....and there's Sylvester Stallone. After that it turns into a pretty generic "badass on the run" kind of deal and something we've seen from Stallone before in First Blood or even Cliffhanger.

I think whomever takes the role should remain covered up (ala Hugo Weaving in V for Vendetta) and check their ego at the door. Obviously changes have to be made from comic to screen but at the core of Dredd's reputation is that you never see his face in full - if you do have to show his face in film then that's perhaps when you need a lesser known actor (rather than a star) so that their celebrity doesn't overwhelm the actual character they're inhabiting. Butler, Stevenson and West could probably just get away with that because they're cult rather than A-list.

Joker7 -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (5/5/2009 12:25:07 PM)

Before you all go mental with me, just go to google and do an image search. Check out Jason Stathams chin...that's Dredd.

Marwood -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (5/5/2009 3:21:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joker7

Before you all go mental with me, just go to google and do an image search. Check out Jason Stathams chin...that's Dredd.

Now, I love The Stath but he is not Dredd. I never want to hear his attempts at an American accent again.

If you're talking chins then surely Aaron Eckhart is a good fit and (let's be honest here) a superior actor to The Stath. Would probably require a good stuntman though - unlike The Stath. Stath, Stath, Stath, Stath, Stath, Stath, Stath.

Stath should be the villain.

Riddick_J -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (5/5/2009 7:36:10 PM)

I'd love to see Hugo Weaving playing Dredd. He's got the looks, has a deep, cultivated voice and can possitively turn his mouth into an inverted "U", which is paramount in portraying Dredd. His jaw kinda sucks thought 2 pointy and elf like.

ky -> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit (10/5/2009 11:53:55 AM)

A while ago, someone suggested Thomas Hayden Church as Dredd, which I think is a great idea - he looks like a 2000AD character already, what with that chin and those ears, so whacking a Dredd outfit on him and sitting him on a lawmaster would be a wise move.

Still think an animated series - using a pretty rough, muted art style like the comics - would be the best route for Dredd. No matter how much they try to avoid repeating the last effort, a live-action film will still probably end up looking too shiny. Plus, they could do a whole bunch of series' based on other characters - how good would a Rogue Trooper animation be? Or Strontium Dog, Slaine, even the ABC Warriors. Anyone remember the animated adverts for 2000AD and Judge Dredd: Lawman of the Future in 1995? They were great.

Timon -> RE: Judge Dredd script review (21/7/2010 9:02:54 AM)

In the new Total Film, Sly admits he cocked up on Dredd....

Anyway, there's a script review for the new Dredd film on AICN.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45838

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Judge Dredd script review (21/7/2010 10:16:57 AM)

They ain't kidding that it will be low budget. Can anyone say constant redressing of the same sets?

The REAL Bozz -> RE: Judge Dredd script review (21/7/2010 10:48:14 AM)

I reckon it sounds perfect for a reboot/set up of a new Dredd franchise. I always liked Anderson more than Hershy anyway. [:D]

Marwood -> RE: Judge Dredd script review (21/7/2010 10:49:35 AM)

Sounds very much like a Die Hard/Training Day sci-fi mashup from that review - a novel way to tackle the Dredd universe but I was hoping for something a bit more...I don't know, important to that world.
Anyway it does sound like the story will fit the budget so if nothing else this will probably act as a test as much as anything else and if successful then maybe we'll see the expanded universe a bit. Think of how X-Men felt like a trailer for X2.

The REAL Bozz -> RE: Judge Dredd script review (21/7/2010 10:56:28 AM)

quote:

Sounds very much like a Die Hard/Training Day sci-fi mashup from that review - a novel way to tackle the Dredd universe but I was hoping for something a bit more...I don't know, important to that world.
Anyway it does sound like the story will fit the budget so if nothing else this will probably act as a test as much as anything else and if successful then maybe we'll see the expanded universe a bit. Think of how X-Men felt like a trailer for X2.

Exactly. If the films a success they can expand in the sequel and with a name like Dredd is obvious the stuido is hoping for a franchise.

oui3d -> RE: Judge Dredd script review (21/7/2010 11:03:40 AM)

Hmmm.... Paranormal goings on? Does this mean we could get a Judge Death?

I'd settle for a good Chopper story.

Invader_Ace -> RE: Judge Dredd script review (21/7/2010 12:20:07 PM)

hmmmm doesn't sound toooo bad.  Kind of sounds like many of the one shot stories you'd get.

However, Rookie Judge Anderson?!  Surely they mean Awesome PSI Judge Anderson.

Timon -> RE: Urban is Dredd? (22/7/2010 8:48:04 AM)

There be rumours that Karl Urban (Lord of the Rings, Pathfinder, Star Trek) may be doning the helmet to play Judge Dredd.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/07/21/scoop-karl-urban-to-be-cast-as-judge-dredd/

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI