RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

spark1 -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (19/6/2009 12:33:21 PM)

got to 'z'hadum' yet?

Zaphod121 -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (26/6/2009 1:44:45 PM)

Just picked up Season 1, I know you guys say the show doesn't really kick in till Season 2 but I'm still looking forward to it.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (30/6/2009 10:02:09 AM)

I have a question, I know there are like 4 or 5 B5 TV movies, can anyone tell me where they come into play in the timeline of the show?

spark1 -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (30/6/2009 12:24:18 PM)

'in the beginning' is set during earth/minbari war, 'thirdspace' during s4-ivanova is featured-and the rest set after s5's 'objects at rest' but before 'sleeping in light'.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Babylon 5 (30/6/2009 1:57:11 PM)

Erm, that means nothing to me [&:] I just means in terms of what seasons I should watch them after.

Captain Black -> RE: Babylon 5 (30/6/2009 6:28:32 PM)

Babylon 5's seasons each take place over the course of a year, though they do the occasional ep that features flashforwards (some many years into the future, such as the episode 'The Deconstruction of Falling Stars') and flashbacks. The TV movies were all made afterwards, and they're supplementary. In summary though:

In The Beginning is a really misleading title for newcomers. It's technically set after the series proper, and should not be watched beforehand, although that's a bit of a cheat because the framing device of the episode is that it's a story of Londo's actions in the past.

Thirdspace is set in the middle of Season 4, it's not clearly defined when (to the best of my knowledge) this takes place, and you can certainly wait until afterwards, but I'd say the midpoint if pushed.

River of Souls - after S5. See Martin Sheen slumming it shortly before Aaron Sorkin resucitated his career.

A Call To Arms is set a few years afters S5 and is the bridge to spin-off series Crusade. Spot Carlos Bernard in a small role.

The Lost Tales is the recently made one and is set quite a few years after. I quite liked it, but most of that was due to nostalgia and some lovely new FX.

All of them are essentially self-contained (with maybe the exception of Call To Arms), which is the exact opposite of what the programme did so well.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Babylon 5 (30/6/2009 9:21:01 PM)

Thirdspace takes place sometime in the first third of season 4 - they make reference to a small plotline that just happned. Its a pretty decent, if overlong, HP Lovecraft homage.

In the Beginning is decent enough - plenty of space battles although the thing sometimes feels like a clip show using the flashbacks from the tv series proper and characters meet who really shouldn't have. Still some sweet large scale space battles.

River of Souls - Dull dull dull. Sometimes feels like JMS just took an unused script and exteneded it.

A Call to Arms - I like it a bit better now than when I intially saw it. Very action packed. It is a set up for a short lived TV show, so be aware of that.

The Lost Tales - I HATED this. Just felt cheap and pointless. Effects work looked nice - maybe if Warners were feeling good they could upgrade the series with these effects.

Bottom line is that the movies are just some extra bits and pieces. The series is where the great stuff is at.  

Zaphod121 -> RE: Babylon 5 (30/6/2009 10:42:22 PM)

Thanks for the info guys, might just give the movies a miss or check when I'm done with the series (assuming I like it). Is the spin-off Crusade any good?

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Babylon 5 (30/6/2009 10:47:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Thanks for the info guys, might just give the movies a miss or check when I'm done with the series (assuming I like it). Is the spin-off Crusade any good?

Depends how into the B5 world you are. I found some parts interesting but by goodness it was a slog to get through - no where near the quailty or granduer of B5.

icelandicwolf -> RE: Babylon 5 (2/7/2009 9:53:37 AM)

so whats the status report HIM where are you?

Zaphod121 -> RE: Babylon 5 (6/7/2009 5:43:37 PM)

I'm not HIM but I thought I've give my thoughts on the show so far. I've got the first 2 seasons and I'm up to Episode 6 and enjoying it quite a bit, it was jarring at first cus it wasn't what I expected, it's on a smaller scale. I didn't like the characters too much at first but there growing on me, some of the acting is a bit wooden at times but I don't mind. The effects are definitely dated but I kinda like them anyways, I see a lot of potential and am glad to hear that it gets better. One thing that I noticed in ep 2 Soul Hunter or something when the soul hunter guy said to Deleen when he was trying to take her soul, "You would do such a thing?" or something like that, that just struck me as really odd and I'm hoping it's a hint for something to come.

Captain Black -> RE: Babylon 5 (6/7/2009 5:54:53 PM)

Yeah, without wanting to give anything away, 'souls' in the B5 universe are pretty important to future storylines (one in particular), especially to the Minbari.

About the FX, I think new viewers should look at them mostly in terms of what else was being produced at the time. Science fiction spaceships were largely Star Trek/Wars inspired in terms of design, and although they were in the infancy of computer graphics technology (well, at least on a television level), because they were using computers rather than building models they produced some much more imaginitive stuff; utilising curved surfaces and texture mapping.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Babylon 5 (6/7/2009 7:13:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

About the FX, I think new viewers should look at them mostly in terms of what else was being produced at the time. Science fiction spaceships were largely Star Trek/Wars inspired in terms of design, and although they were in the infancy of computer graphics technology (well, at least on a television level), because they were using computers rather than building models they produced some much more imaginitive stuff; utilising curved surfaces and texture mapping.

Yeah, absolutely, the pilot's FX did actually win an Emmy, I believe. And certainly the ship designs are still brilliant, the Vorlon and Minbari "organic" designs in particular, but then I think Ron Thornton is an absolute genius of TV CGI. It's also worth noting that B5's battle sequences moved away from the Star Wars/Star Trek styles in terms of having more realistic physics, at least in the early seasons. And space is colourful in B5, unlike the boring grey universe you mostly get in Star Trek.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Babylon 5 (6/7/2009 7:16:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Yeah, absolutely, the pilot's FX did actually win an Emmy, I believe. And certainly the ship designs are still brilliant, the Vorlon and Minbari "organic" designs in particular, but then I think Ron Thornton is an absolute genius of TV CGI. It's also worth noting that B5's battle sequences moved away from the Star Wars/Star Trek styles in terms of having more realistic physics, at least in the early seasons. And space is colourful in B5, unlike the boring grey universe you mostly get in Star Trek.

I think folk would be more impressed if they rewatched things like Space: Above and Beyond which used the same techniques but are REALLY dated now.

A big plus is the designs of the ships - love those Earth Force captial ships!

Captain Black -> RE: Babylon 5 (6/7/2009 7:30:17 PM)

Another good aesthetic choice they made was to give the background environments lots of colour, this made things stand out much more, which was vital considering the sheer number of ships moving around at various points.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Babylon 5 (6/7/2009 8:37:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I think folk would be more impressed if they rewatched things like Space: Above and Beyond which used the same techniques but are REALLY dated now.

A big plus is the designs of the ships - love those Earth Force captial ships!

And SAAB was the most expensive show on telly at the time, too. Just goes to show really. And all the Earthforce stuff was great actually, I really like (MILD SPOILER) the later revision of the Star Fury too.

icelandicwolf -> RE: Babylon 5 (8/7/2009 9:32:13 AM)

personally my favoourite ship in babylon 5 is the shadow cruisers they blew any conventional ship out of the window.

blackduck -> RE: Babylon 5 (8/7/2009 9:47:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: icelandicwolf

personally my favoourite ship in babylon 5 is the shadow cruisers they blew any conventional ship out of the window.

Best. Ship .Ever.

Only problem was that the owners of the ships were kinda dissapointing once you see them. The Romulan ship in the new Star Trek reminded me of it a bit

spark1 -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (8/7/2009 3:00:36 PM)

big up for 'deconstruction......' as not only a great b5 ep but one of the best SF tv eps ever.

psi cops-smell the glove!

Zaphod121 -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (11/7/2009 8:20:38 PM)

Just watched S2 Ep 9 "The Coming of Shadows"... things are heating up. Loving these shadow guys that Londo is in league with, they really know how to blow shit up. EDIT: Also who the bloody hell is this Warren guy? And does he actually do anything?

icelandicwolf -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (11/7/2009 10:40:17 PM)

quote:

Just watched S2 Ep 9 "The Coming of Shadows"... things are heating up. Loving these shadow guys that Londo is in league with, they really know how to blow shit up. EDIT: Also who the bloody hell is this Warren guy? And does he actually do anything?

warren kefler.....yep he does but not till the last episode of season 2

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (11/7/2009 11:42:05 PM)

quote:

Just watched S2 Ep 9 "The Coming of Shadows"... things are heating up.

One of the classic episodes - won a Hugo award actually. Katsulas is particularly brilliant when he's stopping through the station when he realises Londo has betrayed him.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (11/7/2009 11:51:40 PM)

quote:

quote:

Just watched S2 Ep 9 "The Coming of Shadows"... things are heating up.

One of the classic episodes - won a Hugo award actually. Katsulas is particularly brilliant when he's stopping through the station when he realises Londo has betrayed him.

One of my favourite parts of the ep is Londo's reaction just after he has betrayed them when G'Kar is drinking with him and telling him there might be hope for there two races after all.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (12/7/2009 4:50:03 AM)

quote:

As I understand it the studio wanted a young dashing fighter pilot brought into the show. JMS hired the guy, he was put in the credits, and then ignored until he could do something useful. He does have a purpose, but one that doesn't really earn him that title credit.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (14/7/2009 10:30:26 PM)

Just knocked down S2 Ep 19 - SPOILERS AHEAD (just in case)

I love how things keep coming back where your originally like "wha..?", like how we find out why the vorlon guy (Kosh is it?) got that info to use against Talia in S1. I'll admit I saw it coming that she was the mole, though I was saddened as she was one of my favourite characters. Good to see Warren absolutely nothing, what a dull character. Also am I to understand this telepathic woman who came in was also in The Gathering pilot movie? Loved the revelations about the vorlon, the stakes have been raised, can't wait to see how the end of Season 2 and Season 3 play out. There's obviously alot more info I have yet to find out but damn this is getting really good.

icelandicwolf -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (15/7/2009 8:40:02 AM)

ooohhh you are coming to the long twilight struggle next, for me the turning point of the whole show, the moment londo realises that there is no turning back on the road he started.....also warrens moment is coming in the fall of night.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (15/7/2009 9:45:02 AM)

quote:

I love how things keep coming back where your originally like "wha..?", like how we find out why the vorlon guy (Kosh is it?) got that info to use against Talia in S1. I'll admit I saw it coming that she was the mole, though I was saddened as she was one of my favourite characters. Good to see Warren absolutely nothing, what a dull character. Also am I to understand this telepathic woman who came in was also in The Gathering pilot movie? Loved the revelations about the vorlon, the stakes have been raised, can't wait to see how the end of Season 2 and Season 3 play out. There's obviously alot more info I have yet to find out but damn this is getting really good.

Yeah, Lyta was the original telepath assigned to B5. The studio replaced the actress with Andrea Thompson, who then decided to leave because she felt the character was getting sidelined.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (15/7/2009 9:52:44 AM)

quote:

quote:

Yeah, Lyta was the original telepath assigned to B5. The studio replaced the actress with Andrea Thompson, who then decided to leave because she felt the character was getting sidelined.

Wasn't she also married to Jerry Doyle at this time?

I wanna know the story between him and the guy who played Marcus. On the very funny cast commentaries there are hints that there were issues between the two of them.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (15/7/2009 10:14:50 AM)

quote:

I wanna know the story between him and the guy who played Marcus. On the very funny cast commentaries there are hints that there were issues between the two of them.

Yeah, she was, ironic given their character relationship in the show. [:D] I'd never heard that about Doyle and Carter before, though I've heard stories that there were sometimes tensions between actors who were a bit right wing and some who weren't, so maybe it was to do with that.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? (15/7/2009 10:21:39 AM)

quote:

quote:

Yeah, she was, ironic given their character relationship in the show. [:D] I'd never heard that about Doyle and Carter before, though I've heard stories that there were sometimes tensions between actors who were a bit right wing and some who weren't, so maybe it was to do with that.

"Actors who were a bit right wing" = Jerry Doyle, who from listening to the commentaries is a very funny guy but when Carter appears in the credits or on the show the others start teasing him about it...sounds like there was some bad blood there. 

He is particulary funny whenever Delenn starts speaking, he just groans and says "Here we go again....a thousand years ago....."

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI