Family Guy - general discussion thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Goodfella -> Family Guy - general discussion thread (6/12/2008 11:26:44 PM)

I am fasting drawing to the conclusion that I am the only person in the world who can't stand the new cartoon phenomenen that is Family Guy?

I just feel like it will never compare to The Simpsons but not just that, even on it's own, aside, I don't find it remotely funny. It's full of awful one-liners and crappy modern day references.

I never liked King Of The Hill and likewise either though so maybe it's just not for me.

So am I the only one?

KnightofZyryab -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (7/12/2008 1:39:25 AM)

I don't hate it, but after you rewatch some of the episodes you start to see how crap some of the jokes are, most of them based around parodies of actors that usually end in them getting beaten up. How funny indeed. It gets tired after a while with Peter's stupid laugh and the "look at me I'm being ironic" humour. If you want original humour, timing and irony then rewatch the Simpsons seasons 3-11.

Echo89 -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (7/12/2008 2:18:22 AM)

I don't mind Family Guy, but I do agree that it has NOTHING on The Simpons.

And I don't see any point to American Dad whatsoever...

Stillwater -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (7/12/2008 10:01:09 AM)

Not a fan of family guy either, I just dont get it

Tech_Noir -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (7/12/2008 11:03:57 AM)

[image]http://www.ethanhein.com/memebase/tv/i/bart.gif[/image]

[:D]

DJ Satan -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 9:21:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella
"new cartoon phenomenen"

Where have you been? It's on to it's seventh series and has even been cancelled twice and brought back.

richCie -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 10:23:29 AM)

i'm not particularly fussed about it, or the simpsons or scrubs or friends or south park or....

i dont watch tv really...
i used to like the simpsons but theyre pretty crap these days.

i used to like south park, but never watch it anymore.
scrubs is painfully over-rated. it has a few laughs but not enough for people to view it like the second coming.

i do get annoyed at how many go on about stuff from family guy, and then when i entirely fail to laugh it's like "oh well you kinda have to see it to get it".

Felix -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 10:25:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

"new cartoon phenomenen"

Where have you been? It's on to it's seventh series and has even been cancelled twice and brought back.

If he doesnt like Family Guy, he'll hate that other new cartoon, what is it called? "South Park" or something like that...

Neth -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 10:39:37 AM)

quote:

I just feel like it will never compare to The Simpsons but not just that, even on it's own, aside, I don't find it remotely funny.

While it can be patchy at the best of times, on a good-gag-per-minute basis Family Guy is funnier than The Simpsons has been for a long time.

igotnewlegs -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 10:42:47 AM)

While we're at it has anyone seen this program called Seinfeld? I just don't get it - the main guy can't act, another one just keeps bursting through his neighbour's door for some reason and there doesn't seem to be any story! It just doesn't compare to Fawlty Towers.

Felix -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 10:44:09 AM)

Also, has anyone seen that new fly on the wall documentary? I cant think what its called, but its set in an office...

igotnewlegs -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 10:46:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

quote:

I just feel like it will never compare to The Simpsons but not just that, even on it's own, aside, I don't find it remotely funny.

While it can be patchy at the best of times, on a good-gag-per-minute basis Family Guy is funnier than The Simpsons has been for a long time.

Though to be fair, Jim Davidson has been funnier than The Simpsons for a long time.

BigKovacs -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 10:50:17 AM)

I think it's brilliant but it does owe it's existance to Family Guy and is slowly running out of steam. I'll remember it fondly for it's mid season stuff.

Monkeyshaver -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 12:46:30 PM)

I've never really got into Family Guy. Granted Simpsons is past its sell by date but Family Guy often feels like its made up of discarded Simpsons scripts. Plus I don't like the animation style, puts me off.

Hardcore Raver -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 2:19:37 PM)

Family Guy is funny, sure, but the problem I have with it is that, unlike The Simpsons, Futurama, and to a lesser extent South Park, I really don't care about the characters. Also, I think with the large amount of 'remember the time when...' scenes, at times it comes across as little more than an animated sketch show, rather than being plot driven (though admittedly, The Simpsons is becoming increasingly guilty of this too).

Amelie_Scotland -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 2:22:05 PM)

I don't like it either, it just doesn't make me laugh at all.

Stewie_Griffin -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 2:25:20 PM)

I love it, except season eight's constant 9/11 jokes were getting a little annoying.

Olaf -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 2:29:09 PM)

quote:

quote:

"new cartoon phenomenen"

It's arguably only become a phenomenon from Season 4 onwards, where it gained a much larger fanbase.

matthewforan -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 2:29:43 PM)

I like it a lot but it's nothing compared to South Park

tftrman -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 2:32:23 PM)

I think Family Guy is brilliant, I'm evidentally in the minority on this forum!

Goodfella -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 4:23:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

"new cartoon phenomenen"

You've taken that out of context, I meant that it's popularity seems to have increased signficantly recently.

Felix, will there ever be a day when you don't take the piss...badly?

DJ Satan -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 4:32:40 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

"new cartoon phenomenen"

You've taken that out of context, I meant that it's popularity seems to have increased signficantly recently.

I haven't taken anything out of context. You just didn't put it in that context in the first place. You don't even use the word "popularity" in the first post so how could I have taken it in that context?

Besides, the sudden popularity in Family Guy still spiked several years ago.

Goodfella -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 4:35:46 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

"new cartoon phenomenen"

I haven't taken anything out of context. You just didn't put it in that context in the first place. You don't even use the word "popularity" in the first post so how could I have taken it in that context?

Besides, the sudden popularity in Family Guy still spiked several years ago.

Alright perhaps I should have just said new phenomenon instead.

I hadn't heard much about Family Guy until about half  a year ago when I seemed to notice more and more people talking about it.

Stewie_Griffin -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 4:48:18 PM)

There's so much negativity going around these boards, It really bothers me.

DJ Satan -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 4:55:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

I'm guessing you're a fan of Family Guy. [:D]

Stewie_Griffin -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 4:57:29 PM)

[:D]

I am, but i meant the message boards in general. Everybody is entitled to their opinions, I'd like to think I'm grown up enough to accept them.

Felix -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 5:27:19 PM)

This is just like that time when...

Tech_Noir -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 5:37:31 PM)

quote:

Same here.

Family Guy has given me more laughs in just the first 3 seasons alone than all the episodes of Simpsons combined.

Goodfella -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 5:45:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

Same here.

Family Guy has given me more laughs in just the first 3 seasons alone than all the episodes of Simpsons combined.

I love The Simpons, always have, always will. I am in full agreement the latter seasons haven't been nearly anywhere as good as the earlier ones but I've still enjoyed them.

Family Guy just doesn't do it for me, neither does American Dad as someone mentioned earlier.

The Fonz -> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? (8/12/2008 11:13:27 PM)

Here is a list of things I do not like:
  • The new-look Blue Peter
  • Strictly Come Dancing
  • Merlin
  • Hardeep Singh Koli
  • People beginning a sentence with "Am I the only person who..."
  • Darts being considered a sport
  • The French
  • Hangovers
  • That feeling of quiet desperation you get when going into Birmingham
  • People who have too much sex
  • People who don't have enough sex
  • Paedophiles
  • Gavin and Stacey
  • Nicholas Lyndhurst's career since Goodnight Sweetheart
  • Children
  • Old people
  • Liverpool
  • That Kwame bloke who used to be on Casualty but now takes up a seat on Newsnight Review when they could give it to Marina Hyde instead
  • Drugs
  • Baldness
No, I didn't see the point in that either.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI