RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Timon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (4/5/2009 9:46:26 PM)

That should be interesting considering how most of the cast felt about Shatner...

Still, Bring Back Trek? It's never been away....

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (4/5/2009 11:34:01 PM)

So guess what I spent my Bank Holiday doing?

Season One is done!

The Squire of Gothos

Yet another encounter with a childish god like being. In retrospect I am glad that The Next Generation invented Q to fulfil this role. It seems like Kirk is bumping into these beings every other week – part of me wants to pretend they are all part of Q's race. Even the ending is a direct lift from Charlie X. I suppose in the 60s doing this sort of thing was considered pretty normal for TV.

Not the shows finest episode it has to be said. Lots of talking, little action.

Arena

The Gorn! Yay!

I love how the first half of the episode is pretty much trying to figure out a situation where Kirk can battle an intelligent lizard man in the desert. The suit DOES look silly, as does much of the fighting. In this age of close up fast editing, seeing the Gorn slowly swing its arms and Kirk slowly ducking is funny. But still, there is a lot to enjoy here, not least Shatner talking to himself while running quickly away from the slow moving animal. The denouncement was cool as well.

Tomorrow is Yesterday

Wow – I had no idea the theory of time travel espoused in Star Trek IV – The Voyage Home had its basis in this episode. That's some cool continuity right there (the new effects for the sling shot are great – really evoke the shots from the film).

Love how smug Kirk is showing the Airforce pilot around the ship until Spock points out that he can't return to Earth - I suspect that the seeds for City on the Edge of Forever were planted here. Shatner has a great fight with three guards and looks like he is having fun with the subsequent interrogation.

Court Martial

As a look into how the Federation works and seeing fellow Starship captains it was interesting, and seeing Spock using his detective skills was a treat. The way evidence was shown felt a bit too easy and the young girl whose father was killed overacts like crazy.

Not much more to say. Pretty standard episode, with an ending that was a little too pat. Would have been interesting to have seen Kirk being right, but having to deal with the consequences of his actions. I am also surprised to see the Federation caring about this one guy, considering how many others are killed on a week by week basis.

The Return of Archons

Obviously the Maverick back lot set was free for a week. After Mudds woman this is the worst of the season. Just dull dull dull.

Space Seed

This is the big one and it sure doesn't disappoint. I had feared that the character in this episode wouldn't really reflect the Khan we saw in the movies but by goodness it is all there from the get go. The arrogance, the conflict between Kirk and Khan and for anyone who thinks Montalban pecs were fake in WOK should check this episode out. Dude was built.

He really does give a compelling performance and the script gives him a lot to chew on. The inflections when he speaks are still there 15 + years later.

I have to wonder why the Enterprise needs an Earth historian on the ship, especially since they had just gone back to Earths past a couple of episodes ago and didn't use McGivers. She is a hottie, even though she seemed to be into some kinky stuff with Khan. Kirk is totally jealous and a bit bitchy to her – he certainly agrees with me about the uselessness of a historian on a star ship.

One thing that lets the episode down a little and an example of the minus points of such clean transfers – it is now pretty much obvious when stunt doubles are being used. At one point I had turn at the wrong point, and when turning back I was wondering who Khan was fighting.  

A final point I will make is that the episode ends with Kirk, Spock, Bones and Scotty by themselves and walking out of the room. They are the characters present when Spock makes his sacrifice in Wrath of Khan. Don't know if that was a deliberate decision by Bennett, but it is some nice foreshadowing.

A Taste of Armageddon

I remember watching this when I was younger and enjoying it. The concept is still strong and particularly relevant in today's world of the internet and global communications and the solution showing the gambler that Kirk can sometimes be.

My favourite thing was when Scotty was made captain and instantly recognised that something was up when Kirk called up from the planet. Usually TV shows would have let the characters make dumb decisions, but not here.

This Side of Paradise AKA The Episode Where Spock Got High On Spores and Smacked Kirk Around. (To quote Futurama)

I know this one is liked by people, but I couldn't really get into it. Most of the episode, based on a agricultural planet that somehow looks like it is from the 18th century, involves Kirk arguing to the colonists to get a onto the ship. Only when Spock gets hit by some trippy pollen and starts' getting it on with one of the female colonists does it become fun.

A later scene has Kirk goading Spock into fighting him, which ends up working. I wonder, considering that the writers are huge TOS fans, that they used this as the basis for part of the new film. Seeing Spock in a temper in the trailers does seem out of character.

The Devil in the Dark

I think this is where all the stuff about Red Shirts biting it comes from. Not many of them have died this season, but the security team here were all in red.

Effective episode with a monster that looks like a life sized fake puke toy. It was a nice mystery, and had some tense moments. For all the common views that TOS was a lot more about the action, there is still a pacifist subtext in there. Its just that Kirk is allowed to punch the aliens a couple of times before befriending them.

Errand of Mercy

The first appearance of the Klingon's in a sub standard episode. Although we do see some ship to ship combat. The plot yet again hinges on, yet again, super powered beings.

A plodding episode, and of course the Klingons aren't quite the intergalactic bastards of the galaxy as seen in the first 6 movies. I do wonder if they were popular in the 60s and 70s (the Romulans seems to have got the better plotlines) and if not, why the decision was made to reintroduce them in The Motion Picture.

The Alternative Factor

Again – super powered beings are involved. Didn't enjoy this, apart from the ending which was quite imaginative. There is just too many of these kinds of episodes and the blend into each other. Pretty funny how the very first Next Gen involved super beings. Roddenberry seems to have never got bored of them.

City on the Edge of Forever

Masterpiece – epic and tragic, Harlan Ellison should be rightly proud of this episode. Only in sci-fi could a 60s show have the hero let make the decison Kirk does here. Just watch it!

Operation Annihilate

So does the movie acknowledge Kirks brother? He doesn't seem that cut up about losing most of his family at the end of the episode, already back to joking around with the crew – no wonder he knew he would die alone, he is a cold cold man.

Not much to say about this one. Nurse Chapel appears for the first time in a while.

Was it just me or was Joss Whedon somewhat inspired by this when writing Serenity. When Kirk and Co. beam to the planet it REALLY resembles Miranda, as does the revelation as to what happened to the planets inhabitants. That has been the main thing I took from this episode – watch them side by side – big surprise.

So that is season one down. Some real classics in there, although the tendency towards using god like beings is already a clichι and the slowly creeping use of period sets suggests some of the problems of season three. For anyone seeing the movie this weekend and wanting more, you could do far worse than picking this up. It takes about ten episodes to really get the cast balance right, and some people such as Janice Rand just vanish. By the end the Kirk-Spock-Bone dynamitic is fully in place and the scripts and performances really start to focus on this.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (5/5/2009 1:42:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Season One is done!

The Squire of Gothos

Yet another encounter with a childish god like being. In retrospect I am glad that The Next Generation invented Q to fulfil this role. It seems like Kirk is bumping into these beings every other week – part of me wants to pretend they are all part of Q's race. Even the ending is a direct lift from Charlie X. I suppose in the 60s doing this sort of thing was considered pretty normal for TV.

Peter David wrote a pretty good tie-in novel that gives the Squire a connection to the Q. Enjoyed reading your reviews - especially amused by the fact that you clearly don't know the deal with Harlan Ellison and City on the Edge of Forever...[:D] It's a great episode, truly Hugo worthy. Makes it a bit embarrassing that Dr Who gets the Hugos nowadays...

Timon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (5/5/2009 7:58:21 AM)

Devil in the Dark rocks the house - Bones steals the show, "Dammitt Jim, I'm a doctor not a bricklayer!/I'm beginning to think I could cure a rainy day."

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (5/5/2009 9:48:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Season One is done!

The Squire of Gothos

Peter David wrote a pretty good tie-in novel that gives the Squire a connection to the Q. Enjoyed reading your reviews - especially amused by the fact that you clearly don't know the deal with Harlan Ellison and City on the Edge of Forever...[:D] It's a great episode, truly Hugo worthy. Makes it a bit embarrassing that Dr Who gets the Hugos nowadays...

Now I have read up on it. I suspect these sort of revisions happened all of the time and Harlan is being his usual self (love the guy btw - his short stories from the 60s and 70s are brilliant) - he certainly talks about it with a degree of passion.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (5/5/2009 5:51:33 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Season One is done!

The Squire of Gothos

Now I have read up on it. I suspect these sort of revisions happened all of the time and Harlan is being his usual self (love the guy btw - his short stories from the 60s and 70s are brilliant) - he certainly talks about it with a degree of passion.

Hmm yeah - don't know how I feel about him these days, but yeah major, major talent. His statements on the whole thing kind of shattered my illusions about Star Trek in general and certainly Roddenberry in particular.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (5/5/2009 8:18:09 PM)

I just watched one of the extras on the set which showed an auctioning off of most of the sets, props and models of the old Trek films and TV series.

The money some of those people were paying was amazing. The Enterpirse D went for $500,000 while the Enterprise A (from the movies) went for around $250,000. Which isn't right- the latter looks so much cooler.

Even a flute Picard plays went for $30,000 - the moment cuts to Stewart admitting that it doesn't actully work.

Puts my buying these season sets in perspective let me tell you.

Although that Reliant model looked sweeeeeeet

Timon -> RE: Star Trek (5/5/2009 9:28:36 PM)

I'd be interested to see what the remastered second season episode Obsession is like now... considering the enemy is a cloud....

Still, the number of red shirts that get killed....[:D]

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek (5/5/2009 9:38:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I'd be interested to see what the remastered second season episode Obsession is like now... considering the enemy is a cloud....

Still, the number of red shirts that get killed....[:D]

Here is the FX reel for that episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W_xBo0TVIk

I'm debating with myself whether I should watch some of the Star Trek movies, go onto season two an "alternative" Star Trek viewing where I watch movies which capture the spirit of the show, even though they are not connected with it.

So far it would be Galaxy Quest, followed by Master and Commander: Far Side of the World. Any further ideas would be welcome.

igotnewlegs -> RE: Star Trek (5/5/2009 9:50:41 PM)

Some Trek rules: Link

spark1 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (7/5/2009 12:35:33 PM)

ew.com's 25 best trek moments at http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20246950_20263257_20277276,00.html

Mason Verger -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (7/5/2009 12:59:03 PM)

It's funny how the cave floor in The Devil in the Dark was perfectly flat.

[sm=893confused27-thumb.gif]

Star Trek Cover Shoots Over the Past 40 Years from io9.com

spark1 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (9/5/2009 1:02:43 PM)

trek's dodgiest aliens at http://www.mania.com/star-treks-6-ridiculous-alien-races_article_114942.html

HIM -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (9/5/2009 4:15:59 PM)

Rgirvan44, when can we expect more in your excellent series of episode synopsis/mini-reviews? [sm=33.gif]

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (9/5/2009 6:12:48 PM)

quote:

I just watched one of the extras on the set which showed an auctioning off of most of the sets, props and models of the old Trek films and TV series.

The money some of those people were paying was amazing. The Enterpirse D went for $500,000 while the Enterprise A (from the movies) went for around $250,000. Which isn't right- the latter looks so much cooler.

Indeed, but there are probably now more TNG fans than old series fans - have been for many years I'd say.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MI Cruise

I am so happy I held out and didnt purchase the orignal series because now they have been remastered, older shabby and cheap looking effects have now been filled with CGI to give them a futuristic and sci-fi look.

[image]http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/StarTrek_S2HD_comingsoon.jpg[/image]

To be honest, while the ship effect looks much better - I actually prefer the original shot of that temple. It's iconic 60s Trek, whilst the new version looks like a generic sci-fi landscape.

Timon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (9/5/2009 6:19:30 PM)

Yeah, that's why I have the original TOS DVD sets... and am very happy with them.

I love the shocking FX! Kirks vs Strange Light Show

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (9/5/2009 8:05:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Rgirvan44, when can we expect more in your excellent series of episode synopsis/mini-reviews? [sm=33.gif]

Woo hoo! Fans.

Didn't know if this was annoying people or not. I have begun watching season 2 and will hopefully have the next batch of episodes up for tomorrow night. Between work and watching the new movie I decided to take a few days break.

I will say that the characters seem to be much more focused and in line with what we are use to. I like that.

Timon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (11/5/2009 10:21:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

Bring Back... Star Trek(Documentary)
Channel 4 Saturday, May 9th, 2009 9:00pm to 10:35pm

Bring Back Star Trek! - Den of Geek

Did anyone else see this? Grace Lee Whitney has clearly gone insane... and a tad racist.

I'm watching S2 at the moment, Rgirvan44... or as I like to call it, the Season where they raided the Paramount Costume Dept.

- The Nazi Planet!
- The Futuristic Roman Planet!
- The Gangster Planet!
- The Commies Vs The Yanks Planet!

Pesky interfering Federation types... or the useful Hodgkins Law of Parallel Planetary Development!

jediwarrior -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (11/5/2009 10:32:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

Bring Back... Star Trek(Documentary)
Channel 4 Saturday, May 9th, 2009 9:00pm to 10:35pm

Bring Back Star Trek! - Den of Geek

Did anyone else see this? Grace Lee Whitney has clearly gone insane... and a tad racist.

Yeah I saw it, JLC does prat about too much in these programs. Knew he'd never get Shatner to play ball, but he did great to get Nimoy who came across as a nice bloke.

HIM -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (11/5/2009 10:58:57 AM)

I missed it cos I was watching Star Trek at the cinema for the second time! Is it repeated at all?

jediwarrior -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (11/5/2009 11:30:17 AM)

quote:

I missed it cos I was watching Star Trek at the cinema for the second time! Is it repeated at all?

If it's anything like the other Bring Backs he's done it will be on plenty of times on E4

mafyou -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (12/5/2009 8:12:48 PM)

I'm watching The Next Generation on Virgin and thinking that the image looks 'washed out'. Are the dvds like this, or is it my signal? I guess it wouldn't be great quality because it was early '90s but, even so, I thought I'd ask whether there was better picture qaulity to be had on dvd. 

spark1 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (13/5/2009 1:43:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

I'm watching The Next Generation on Virgin and thinking that the image looks 'washed out'. Are the dvds like this, or is it my signal? I guess it wouldn't be great quality because it was early '90s but, even so, I thought I'd ask whether there was better picture qaulity to be had on dvd. 

TNG and ds9 were filmed then transfered to NTSC for editing and broadcast in US hence the picture quality.
things go better in late 90s and ENt 1st trek show in widescreen.

Timon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (13/5/2009 1:48:43 PM)

Some of the DVD releases of TNG/DS9 are shocking transfers. Notably the DS9 Season 7 episode Seige of AR 559 - SO grainy.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (13/5/2009 9:01:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

TNG and ds9 were filmed then transfered to NTSC for editing and broadcast in US hence the picture quality.
things go better in late 90s and ENt 1st trek show in widescreen.

Those HD transfers are going to take longer than TOS due to those reasons. Many 90s shows are going to suffer  - Friend is another example.

MathewRed -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (13/5/2009 9:31:57 PM)

At the beginning.

HIM -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (14/5/2009 5:19:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MathewRed

At the beginning.

Wow, what an insightful comment six months after the opening post. [:D]

spark1 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (14/5/2009 12:33:50 PM)

nice article -spoiler alert if u not seen new movie yet- about changes to timeline cos events in trek movie at -

http://popculturezoo.com/archives/2529

MathewRed -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (14/5/2009 9:36:08 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MathewRed

At the beginning.

Wow, what an insightful comment six months after the opening post. [:D]

Woops, my bad. Didn't see when the thread was posted.

moontheloon -> RE: Star Trek Thread (17/5/2009 12:03:06 PM)

As this has become more of a discussion thread for star trek in general I have changed the thread title to just Star Trek Thread so as not to confuse people. Hope this is alright.

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI