RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Timon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (21/4/2009 12:08:16 PM)

If the new film is a hit, I wonder if Paramount/CBS will give the greenlight to that much mooted new animated Trek series - CLICK

OR whether they'll just keep the film franchise going for fear of over saturating the market with Trek.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (21/4/2009 12:16:50 PM)

I could see an animated series along the lines of the Batman, Transformers and new (and pretty violent) G.I Joe shows.

No way do they make a TV show - if Star Trek becomes a A -List franchise, they wouldn't want to risk ruining it with another Voyager or Enterprise.

spark1 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (22/4/2009 11:19:58 AM)

check these out-

http://trekmovie.com/2009/04/21/review-star-trek-the-original-series-season-1-blu-ray/

http://totalscifionline.com/reviews/3367-star-trek-alternate-realities

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (27/4/2009 10:32:19 PM)

So I got the remastered DVDs - this is the first time I have ever sat down and watched TOS.

So far pretty good - you can see the writers trying to figure everyone out - Spock in particular is all over the place. Another thing I noticed was how Janice Rand was a bigger character than Uhura. Its also pretty damn funny - Kirk having to try and explain why it isn't good for someone to slap a girls bum is a laugh out loud moment.

Where No Man Has Gone Before, the second pilot, should be watched first. The crew isn't fully in place.

Mitchell in Where No Man Has Gone before makes reference to a young blond lab technican who Kirk almost married - a reference to Carol Marcus perhaps?

The transfers look great - its amazing how the colours pop out. It may look slightly bizzare nowerdays, but I will take it over the bright lights and cream intertiors of the Next Generation. Having the show on film is another big boon.

The new effects fit right in. They even give the Enterprise a slight wobble- these are not Star Wars style reinventions but just give the show an extra sheen - nice to see different shots of the ship. Such a great design.

If you haven't seen the show before, you can grab a season of the remasters for £25 each at ASDA. A great price considering that in the past they have tried to charge double that for a single season.

Added to say - season 2 even comes with the DS9 time travel episode and a Animated episode about Tribbles. Some cool extras I have to say.

Timon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (28/4/2009 9:34:19 AM)

I already have the Original Series on DVD. This set, so it's doubtful I'll pick up the remastered ones as well. Still it's going to see you like them.
[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CCC9QNB4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg[/image]

I'd really like to see Gary Mitchell in the sequel to the new Trek film.... and if they can get him in Lt. Kevin O'Reilly!

[image]http://www.debbieohi.com/trek/pics/04rileychapel.jpg[/image]

All together now, "I'll take you home... Kathleen...."

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (28/4/2009 12:12:15 PM)

There seems to be an Uhura/Spock thing going on in these early episodes - her comments in The Man Trap and song in Charlie X (what the hell btw?)  

Shatner has not really settled into the Kirk we all know and love. Not kissed one woman or sacrficed one red shirt yet (others have died, but not wearing the red).

Scotty has been pretty much abscent so far.

They are already overusing the "god like being2 plotline, although Charlie X had some terffic laugh out loud moments, not least a bare chested Kirk showing the teenage boy how to fight.  

Moving onto the "I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!" Shatner acting masterclass episode next.

moontheloon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (28/4/2009 2:32:36 PM)

Well I planned to do this a long long time ago (when I started up the thread) but work committments and money issues got in the way. However today I picked up the first season of the next generation. I remember folks in here saying most series start slow but get better so I will bare that in mind when watching it and deciding what to do next, but I figured I needed something I could watch that wasn't too deep and demanding, but good fun with adventures and such, as I have run out of shows like that to watch at the moment with just the more demanding viewing left, which needs to wait till exams are over. I will probably start watching them tonight so I will let you know what I think!

jediwarrior -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (28/4/2009 2:41:01 PM)

My DVD boxset of series 1 TOS remasted came on Saturday. Will start on these after I've seen the new film.

I fancy watching Wrath of Khan this weekend [:)]

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (28/4/2009 8:16:51 PM)

So I thought I would do mini reviews of the episodes as I watch them.

The Naked Time

After an enjoyable, but shaky start, this is the first episode that everything seems to have slotted into place. All the characters are given their moments to shine. Agreed with Timon about Riley – such a fun character. Spock also gets a meaningful line about his friendship with Kirk.

We also get a stunning piece of Shatner performance art when he catches the disease.

Watching it now, knowing that Takei is gay, makes the episode so much funnier.

Janice Rand was smokin’ - hopefully Abrams gets her character into the next film. Nurse Chapel, however, was not.

Best moment though goes to Uhura

Sulu: “I will protect you fair maiden!”
Uhura: “Sorry, neither”

The Enemy Within

Takei with the pink dog = perfect.

When Evil!Kirk tries to rape Rand, the engineer who sees it  runs away. And we all thought Irreversible was something new.

Shatner gives a really fun performance as the EvilKirk! And when I say fun, I mean he cuts a thick slice of ham.

Of course we also get -

“I’m captain Kirk! I’M CAPTAIN KIRK!!”

This is the sort of episode they talk about when calling the show “campy”, yet it is a lot of fun, with a cool concept at the heart of it which gives some character to Kirk. Things get a bit weird with how Rand says sorry when her superior officer tries to get jiggy with her, but we shall put that down to the era the show was made.

Also –you can tell the shuttle hadn’t been introduced at this point.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (28/4/2009 10:17:06 PM)

Mudd’s Women

Boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once they get to the mining planet its like they realised that they needed to write another 20mins of episode. My introduction to Mudd is a crushing disappointment. But get Nick Frost to play him in the movies.

What Are Little Girls Are Made Of

Ok – I’m pretty sure Andrea is the single hottest woman to appear on the show.

Red shirts finally bite the dust! Kirk finally gets to kiss a babe (albeit an android). Very much a relic of the sexual politics of the 1960s, its still a fun, pulpy Sci-Fi story which I’m frankly surprised was intended for kids.

Nurse Chapel takes centre stage and reminds us all why she was better doing the voices of the computers. Such a bland character – I’m sure Roddenbery had a big say in her role in the series, but as soon as he lost control she was kicked out of the TOS movies.

Only an episode since the Enemy Within and we have two Kirks again – the repetition will get grating after a while.

As an aside it is nice to see science fiction writers writing for this show. I think that is what separates old Trek with new Trek. TV writers have a different mindset which accounts, I suspect, for all the technobabble.   

Timon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (29/4/2009 9:47:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Mudd's Women

Boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once they get to the mining planet its like they realised that they needed to write another 20mins of episode. My introduction to Mudd is a crushing disappointment. But get Nick Frost to play him in the movies.

[image]http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_mudd.jpg[/image]

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (29/4/2009 10:10:28 AM)

I presume that picture comes from a future episode – looks much more fun!

Miri

Obviously a low budget episode, filming on what I am sure will be an all purpose back lot set. The Enterprise finds an exact replica of Earth, with buildings from the 1960s, and no one bats an eye lid? Seems like an explanation for why the crew came to a Earth like planet was crow barred in.

Kirk and the teenage Miri was a little…awkward to these 21st Century eyes it must be said.

The show was really a product of its time, and the idea that getting old is a disease that you can’t escape is a good one, especially as a message to the flower people. Only the cure at the end cuts the analogy off.

Again, I wanted to comment on the transfers - the quality of film both indoors and outdoors is pretty great and the episode has a nice scale to it. To be honest this isn’t the greatest episode, and I think from the colour of Uhruras uniform, this was an earlier shot episode, they were still finding their way.  

Timon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (29/4/2009 10:22:52 AM)

Yeah, in Season One Janice Rand(y) is really front and centre - way ahead of Uhura. She seems to disappear in the later seasons though, but crops up in Star Trek I, III, IV and VI in small cameo-esque roles.

To put her in the films though would just mean Kirk was OUTRAGEOUSLY getting it on with a junior officer/yeoman. Not something that would probably go down well. Mainly the whole "having a yeoman part".

[image]http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_muddswomen.jpg[/image]

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (29/4/2009 12:24:57 PM)

quote:

Mitchell in Where No Man Has Gone before makes reference to a young blond lab technican who Kirk almost married - a reference to Carol Marcus perhaps?

That's a clever usage of continuity by Nick Meyer if intentional. It probably isn't though.

quote:

That's a shame - he's such a great character!

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (29/4/2009 2:18:39 PM)

I suspect if they did mean to tie Marcus to that quote, it would be Harve Bennett who did it. He was the one who came up with the idea of Khan and he has stated he watched every episode. I don't think Meyer has ever made similar claims.

I didn't like the episode, but Mudd himself was fun. It just lacked pace, and even its message was muddled. Not the shows finest moment.

Timon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (29/4/2009 2:31:58 PM)

I think it's merely a coincidence series/films wise but it's something that the external universe - books, comics - have latched on to and run with.

Hence in the Trek sequel, I reckon Mitchell and Marcus should feature. Mitchell could be a fresh new officer out to prove his worth...

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (29/4/2009 2:43:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I think it's merely a coincidence series/films wise but it's something that the external universe - books, comics - have latched on to and run with.

Hence in the Trek sequel, I reckon Mitchell and Marcus should feature. Mitchell could be a fresh new officer out to prove his worth...

I think they need to find a place for the freaky bug eyed dude (Randall?) in the next film as well. He looks very very odd.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (29/4/2009 9:13:13 PM)

Dagger of the Mind

Kirk really likes Penal colonies – “they are like rest homes for sick minds” he says. I am reminded of “Did we say concentration camps? We meant happy camps!”

Pretty dull episode it must be said. Some nice bits of banter here and there but it felt like too little plot for 50 mins. They even attempt a B – plot with Spock doing the first mind meld.

The Corbomite Manoeuvre

Now this is more like it!

The best Star Trek so far. Fast paced, exciting, real character moments and banter between the crew. It’s the first episode that felt like Hornblower in Space.

Love how Kirk bluffs his way through the episode – and then Clint Howard appears!

Also nice to see a lack of techobabble when it comes to getting away from the spacecraft - shoot the damn thing!

NEXT - The two parter that kinda, sorta ties into the new film!

Timon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (30/4/2009 9:58:07 AM)

Won't be the first time Kirk used the Corbomite bluff.

[image]http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_continuity.jpg[/image]

spark1 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (30/4/2009 12:02:08 PM)

mike okuda on the OS remasters at http://trekmovie.com/2009/04/29/exclusive-interview-with-mike-okuda-talking-the-cage-tos-r-on-blu-ray-more/

said it was best to start at the begining.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (1/5/2009 10:01:44 PM)

The Menagerie - Part 1 and 2

"Good evening. I'm playing the role of Jesus, a man once portrayed on the big screen by Jeffrey Hunter. You may remember him as the actor who was replaced by William Shatner on "Star Trek." Apparently Mr. Hunter was good enough to die for our sins but not quite up to the task of seducing green women” – Stewie Griffin, Family Guy

I was gearing myself up for what I was expecting to be a dull two part clips episode, but actually found the piece to be pretty engaging. The first part was actually my favourite because our heroes were pretty pro-active. In the second part they are as much a member of the audience and reacting as we are.

Poor Christopher Pike! Of course the machine he is in is now a part of popular culture (especially a particularly great episode of South Park) and the whole concept looks ludicrous nowerdays. However I suppose since they couldn't get the original actor back, they had to do something, and the denouncement at the end makes it all a little better.

The Cage from what I can tell was a pretty solid episode. Some concepts were reused already – in particular Mudds Women, and the Enterprise itself feels a lot colder. All grey military. Something which Meyer was able to do in the films, but here seems odd disjointed. Majel Barrett sounds more like her computer voice here, yet continues to be insisted upon us by Roddenbery.

The doctor was pretty cool as well. His talk with Pike in his quarters was some strong stuff.

And Spock! Wow – when he wasn't sound like A REALLY LOUD GUY! he was being all emotional and stuff. Glad they went back and changed him. Seeing Spock in both episodes shows a great deal of character development.

Hunter as Pike was just ok, but didn't really have much charisma. He also looked embarrassed more than once.

I'm glad that Abram's is taking elements from this episode, mainly just Pike, as it helps to enrich the universe just a little.

Oh and Orion Slave Girls appear! I was pretty surprised at how casually Pike considered becoming a slave trader. I thought the Federation would frown on that.

The show seems to be hitting its stride now, so going to put on the next series of episodes.

moontheloon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (1/5/2009 10:01:50 PM)

Three episodes into Next Generation and I must say I am enjoying it, in a way that it's got some bad points, but they are quite amusing. The skin tight outfits for example, which my friend tells me go after a couple of seasons. Plus an episode where they visit a technologically disadvantaged, backwards thinking planet... where everyone is black... seemed a bit oooooooh. But so far it's enjoyable and everyone tells me it really kicks off a couple of seasons in so I have ordered 2 and 3. But however many bad points there are so far they have been enjoyable.[:D]

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (1/5/2009 10:07:35 PM)

Ok - its pretty werid that we both posted in here within 6 seconds of each other.

On a Friday night no less.

Glad you are enjoying it - I'm just not that much of a fan . Very new agey. And Riker is no Kirk, no matter how hard they try.

My rule of thumb is Riker without beard = bad episode/movie
                             Riker with beard      = good episode/movie

moontheloon -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (1/5/2009 11:12:18 PM)

quote:

Ok - its pretty werid that we both posted in here within 6 seconds of each other.

Glad you are enjoying it - I'm just not that much of a fan . Very new agey. And Riker is no Kirk, no matter how hard they try.

We're blatantly the coolest people on this forum[:D]

But yeah, he has yet to grown a beard, which confused me as the only clips I had seen were with beard.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (1/5/2009 11:20:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

quote:

But yeah, he has yet to grown a beard, which confused me as the only clips I had seen were with beard.

A lot of the season 2 scripts were based on unused scripts from the proposed Phase 2 Star Trek tv show that was going to be made before The Motion Picture was made due to a writeres strike. Makes for interesting viewing.

kalendorf -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (2/5/2009 8:07:28 AM)

I'd say the Original Series and the first six movies are the most accessible, the most dynamic and the most human. The rest are stiff and plastic by comparison.

spark1 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (2/5/2009 11:30:13 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

quote:

A lot of the season 2 scripts were based on unused scripts from the proposed Phase 2 Star Trek tv show that was going to be made before The Motion Picture was made due to a writeres strike. Makes for interesting viewing.

only the s2 premiere 'the child'.

MI Cruise -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (3/5/2009 4:12:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Yeah, in Season One Janice Rand(y) is really front and centre - way ahead of Uhura. She seems to disappear in the later seasons though, but crops up in Star Trek I, III, IV and VI in small cameo-esque roles.

To put her in the films though would just mean Kirk was OUTRAGEOUSLY getting it on with a junior officer/yeoman. Not something that would probably go down well. Mainly the whole "having a yeoman part".

[image]http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_muddswomen.jpg[/image]

I once bought a DVD that contained 3 orignal star trek episodes:

Where no man has gone before
Mudds women
The Corbomite Maneuvre

out of them 3 WNMHGB is the only action packed and interesting one whilst corbomite manuevre created tension and was interesting to see how it played out. Mudd's women was an appalling episode, the ending was rubbish as well it all just seemed a waste of time. I was planning summer 2008 to buy the orignal series and the first 7 movies however I decided against it because the new movie is a prequel and I thought I might as well watch TOS afterwards and shouldnt rush, plus it makes more sense watching the prequel first because I'm going to be new to Star Trek and it would set it up for nicely.
I am so happy I held out and didnt purchase the orignal series because now they have been remastered, older shabby and cheap looking effects have now been filled with CGI to give them a futuristic and sci-fi look.

[image]http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/StarTrek_S2HD_comingsoon.jpg[/image]

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (3/5/2009 5:14:46 PM)

Onwards and upwards!

The Conscience of a King

It’s a detective story without any mystery. Spock has the whole thing figured out at the half way point. It’s only the weird, unwilling to see what is in front of him, indecision of Kirk that stretches this episode out for as long as it does.

So I’m guessing the continuity police just ignore this episode, what with the whole “Kirk living on an alien planet” thing? 

Wasn’t a terrible episode, just felt awfully lazy. Talking of awful, Uhrura needs to not ever sing that song again.

It’s an average episode, with enough OTT guest star acting to keep it entertaining. And Kirk is finally getting his groove on with the ladies! In a room playing the Star Trek theme jazz style!

On a side note, Bones sure is finally settling into the drunken racist we all know and love. Getting sauced on the job – don’t see that in The Next Generation.

Balance of Terror

One of the classics, and for good reason. This is one of the episodes that I have seen before and it really holds up. Some of these episodes really feel like their 50mins, but this always flies by.

My favourite scene is actually the senior officer meeting. You really get a sense of the man Kirk is. He is decisive, but wants to know the options from his fellow officers if given the opportunity.  

This is another episode whose continuity will now be slightly messed up by the new film, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the idea of how the space battle in Khan was going to be played out wasn’t inspired from the events shown here.

Was I the only one amused that Kirk chewed out a crew member for bigotry towards Spock, when his chief doctor does it on a daily basis? Crew dynamics are wired.

Shore Leave

I was expecting to really hate this episode. It was obvious what was happening on the planet, and you could see that the production team had a good rake through old Paramount costumes, but the cast kept it pretty light hearted.

We get the first EPIC fist fight from Kirk here with some cool moves – jump kicks and everything. You do have to wonder why Starfleet would allow someone as unstable as Finnegan in. The guy was a loop! Also, what is the deal with Star Trek and Irish people anyway? No cliché is left unturned.
The laugh out loud moment was at the start. On the bridge Kirk is complaining to Spock (who is standing behind him) about a pain in his back. His new (and very very foxy Yeoman) hears this and starts rubbing it. Kirk’s all “Yes, yes…just a little lower” just as Spock walks to the front. Kirk then realises that it isn’t Spock who is rubbing his back and is suddenly all cold to Yeoman Foxy. Such a weird and wonderful scene which most likely inspired all that slash flick.

On another note Bones comes across as a slightly creepy older uncle, spying on Yeoman Foxy as she changes, having two women in his arms etc. And then Foxy puts her arms around him at the end. The way everyone talks about shore leave at the end, you just know that a lot of lovin’ went down.

This episode also marks the appearance of the “Kirk and Bones crack a joke at Spock’s expense and laugh heartily” epilogue.

The Galileo Seven

A solid Spock episode, let down by some frankly stupid looking giant fake spears. Kirk is barely in this episode, expect to continue to ignore a superior officer wanting to Enterprise to stop looking for the lost crew members of the shuttle Galileo Seven and head to a plague ridden colony to deliver medical supplies.

On the ground Spock is trying to keep his cool as crew members are picked off (no red shirts though) and others are questioning his judgement and unwillingness to bury crew men’s bodies. The discipline is the 23rd century is somewhat lacking it must be said.

It’s a nice showcase of Nimoy who seems to have now found the right groove for Spock. I think it may have taken him a while to figure out that just because his character talks in forms of logic, internally he should be struggling with it.

The episode ends with everyone safe and the whole bridge crew laughing at a joke at Spock’s expense. Not just a snigger, a full blown laugh riot. Nice to see them coping so well with the grief of loosing a number of crew members.

Mason Verger -> RE: Star Trek... Where to Start (4/5/2009 5:50:31 PM)

Bring Back... Star Trek(Documentary)
Channel 4 Saturday, May 9th, 2009 9:00pm to 10:35pm

Bring Back Star Trek! - Den of Geek

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI